FYE Announces Dragon Ball Z Orange Brick "Collector's" Box Set

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: FYE Announces Dragon Ball Z Orange Brick "Collector's" Box Set

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:48 am

90sDBZ wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:50 am Has anyone else noticed they're doing a DB Blue Brick Collector's set too?

https://www.fye.com/dragon-ball---compl ... 51968.html
oh wow, that's far from a great deal and i don't really like the blue bricks, but i like that packaging a lot. the blue bricks aren't great but i do think that overall the packaging and artwork look nice. just wish the footage looked as nice!
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:55 am

It's a bit of a tangent, but I like that the episode guide booklet in the season sets can be found in PDF form on funi's DB websites.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:07 am

I would actually buy them both, had they included GT collectors edition, too.

Also, can someone tell me what are the black bricks? I know about the blue (DB) orange (Z) and green (GT) bricks, but couldn´t find any mention or images of black ones.

AwesomeEliyafeth

Post by AwesomeEliyafeth » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:18 am

anubisj wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:07 am I would actually buy them both, had they included GT collectors edition, too.

Also, can someone tell me what are the black bricks? I know about the blue (DB) orange (Z) and green (GT) bricks, but couldn´t find any mention or images of black ones.
I've literally never heard of a Black Brick before.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:23 am

anubisj wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:07 am I would actually buy them both, had they included GT collectors edition, too.

It's what some here are calling Funimations 30th anniversary set.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:36 am

NGL, I kind of want the boxset they have for OG DB.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:41 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:50 am
90sDBZ wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:50 am Has anyone else noticed they're doing a DB Blue Brick Collector's set too?

https://www.fye.com/dragon-ball---compl ... 51968.html
Now THAT is cool! Is there any way to buy just the slipcase??
I may be interested in picking this one up, but it’s hard to justify when you already own the sets.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:19 pm

DHM211 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:23 am

It's what some here are calling Funimations 30th anniversary set.

I’m glad they’re not splitting the sets into the 312 different saga names they came up with.

Captain Ginyu saga

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:23 pm

i think the trunks saga was the worst offender there, it's maybe like 3 episodes.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:42 pm

Why can't Funi just restart and continue the level sets but with them only being called "Dragon Ball Z: Season 1" and onwards. FFS.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:26 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:55 am It's a bit of a tangent, but I like that the episode guide booklet in the season sets can be found in PDF form on funi's DB websites.
Ooo! Do you have a link? My Blue Bricks didn't come with any, just a paper-wasting leaflet telling me how Funimation wasn't going to waste paper on full booklets.
Char Aznable wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:41 pm I may be interested in picking this one up, but it’s hard to justify when you already own the sets.
Yeah. I've had my current Blue Bricks for years and have been quite happy with them, so a slipcase for them would be great. I remember with the old Lord of the Rings Extended Edition DVDs, the solo Return of the King one had a voucher you could send in with like $10 which would get them to send you the slipcase for the collected release.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:35 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:26 pm
ABED wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:55 am It's a bit of a tangent, but I like that the episode guide booklet in the season sets can be found in PDF form on funi's DB websites.
Ooo! Do you have a link? My Blue Bricks didn't come with any, just a paper-wasting leaflet telling me how Funimation wasn't going to waste paper on full booklets.

http://www.dragonball.com/dvd-blu-ray.aspx

You would have known this if you read the paper wasting leaflet :D

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:38 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:35 pm

Oops. Well looks like I can't anyway, becauuuuuuuuuse:

I know Funimation has done a lot to piss the DBZ fandom off in their time with the franchise, but this... this is what my gripe with them is.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:43 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:38 pm
Freeza Soldier #156 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:35 pm

Oops. Well looks like I can't anyway, becauuuuuuuuuse:

I know Funimation has done a lot to piss the DBZ fandom off in their time with the franchise, but this... this is what my gripe with them is.
They geo blocked the page, yeah way to go FUNi for not letting fans who aren't in the U.S. access your content. :roll:
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:00 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:41 pm I may be interested in picking this one up, but it’s hard to justify when you already own the sets.
Yeah. I've had my current Blue Bricks for years and have been quite happy with them, so a slipcase for them would be great. I remember with the old Lord of the Rings Extended Edition DVDs, the solo Return of the King one had a voucher you could send in with like $10 which would get them to send you the slipcase for the collected release.
I own the blue bricks AND the saga sets (including the R4 Volume 1) so it’s a tough sell for me, but I’m not going to lie it is tempting. If I did get it I’m obviously not going to keep two copies of the same blue sets, I’d sell off one.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:05 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:00 pm I own the blue bricks AND the saga sets (including the R4 Volume 1) so it’s a tough sell for me, but I’m not going to lie it is tempting. If I did get it I’m obviously not going to keep two copies of the same blue sets, I’d sell off one.
That'd be a good idea. Dangit I wish they just sold the slipcover!

As a note, be aware that since they're DVDs, they'll have more segmented region-locking. For example if I were to buy them, even in a PAL region like NZ I wouldn't be able to play them since the Pacific region is different from the EU/UK one.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:49 pm

In more of a tangent it looks like the episode summaries are the same Funimation gave Hulu.

And it kind of annoys me when Hulu has the English episode titles and use the localized dub names in the summaries when they only have the Japanese episodes on there

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:49 pm

I am appalled that these sets haven't been put out of print yet.

If people are wondering why the orange bricks continue to sell better than other releases, this is why.

Whenever I looked at the anime section in an FYE store, they would always have a bunch of orange and blue bricks available at $30 a pop and before Super started getting home releases, that's all they would have. They never have Kai or the Season Set blu-rays but the bricks are always there. I don't get it.

What audience is this set even for? Is there anyone out there who doesn't already own this series and would plop $240 for it in one go? It would make a lot more sense to bundle Kai into one box and sell that for $150. The price wouldn't be as daunting and you'd have a better product on your hands.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:06 pm

SqueakyBoots wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:49 pmWhat audience is this set even for? Is there anyone out there who doesn't already own this series and would plop $240 for it in one go? It would make a lot more sense to bundle Kai into one box and sell that for $150. The price wouldn't be as daunting and you'd have a better product on your hands.
Kai isn't,

"MYYYYY CHILDHOOOODDDDD!!!!!"

for the type of audience that would drop that kind of money, and the casual US fan also thinks Kai is the sissy kiddie version of DBZ. It's an impulse buy for people that don't know any better.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:11 pm

SqueakyBoots wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:49 pm I am appalled that these sets haven't been put out of print yet.

If people are wondering why the orange bricks continue to sell better than other releases, this is why.

Whenever I looked at the anime section in an FYE store, they would always have a bunch of orange and blue bricks available at $30 a pop and before Super started getting home releases, that's all they would have. They never have Kai or the Season Set blu-rays but the bricks are always there. I don't get it.

What audience is this set even for? Is there anyone out there who doesn't already own this series and would plop $240 for it in one go? It would make a lot more sense to bundle Kai into one box and sell that for $150. The price wouldn't be as daunting and you'd have a better product on your hands.
I don't get it either, especially given that the Orange Bricks are between 10-12 years old and you'd think they would have been discontinued by now what with the number releases for the show (Dragon Box, Levels, Season BD, 30th Anniversary) that have come out since then.

The only reason they've sold is due to their cheap price, not the remaster or other things.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)