"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:26 am

sangofe wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:42 am If the Dragon Ball is for rights then it'd a job to organize the rights so simuldubbing can happen, I'm inclined to think. By the way... The db room seems to have a creative part, too. So I think it's not for rights and editing. Do you have a source stating this?
Sure, here you go.

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/2016/10/14/s ... e-content/

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:26 am

DBZ_Lee wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:26 am
sangofe wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:42 am If the Dragon Ball is for rights then it'd a job to organize the rights so simuldubbing can happen, I'm inclined to think. By the way... The db room seems to have a creative part, too. So I think it's not for rights and editing. Do you have a source stating this?
Sure, here you go.

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/2016/10/14/s ... e-content/
It's not described exactly what the rights and editing part consist of. And in addition to rights and editing it's implied to also give creative ideas with these quotes:
It’s a new experiment to have a department that only thinks about Dragon Ball.”

Akira Toriyama, the original author, commented that, “I was wanting to keep this old series alive and kicking even in the modern day with help from Shueisha’s excellent staff, so for me this team is dependable and a real godsend. It’d really be great if this way I won’t have to do anything!!!!”

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:54 am

Huh, I didn't think about the fact that no one from TOEI is attending SDCC. Yeah, that makes an announcement less likely but I guess not impossible? Were TOEI staff present last year when the Broly trailer was released. I know it dropped on TOEI's site first but the event for it was at an US convention iIrc.

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:45 am

It ain’t coming back folks let it die.
Wait for 2020.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:48 am

In February, it was publicly stated that there would be a Dragon Ball Super panel at SDCC, which is supposed to be today at 2:15pm pacific, but its been changed to a DBZ 30th Anniversary Panel.
Uh, does he have a source on that? Because I don't remember them ever specifically stating that the SDCC panel was going to be Super related. If I'm wrong than whatever, I just don't remember that at all.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:39 pm

I found this, but it doesn't mention anything about any Dragon Ball panel.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/comicbook. ... 019-anime/

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:45 pm

https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot/stat ... 4863881221

Don't get me wrong, it's sort-of believable, it's just that it sounds like such a cop out/bullshit way to get out of July being a waste, none of their predictions coming true, and the fact that there wasn't a damn thing to be happy about this year besides the movie (which they didn't predict).
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:32 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:45 pm Don't get me wrong, it's sort-of believable, it's just that it sounds like such a cop out/bullshit way to get out of July being a waste and all of their predictions turning up wrong.
That's what I was thinking. I don't think Geekdom or Yonku(?) provided any sources that prove Stampede was the reason DBS was delayed. It's something they only brought up AFTER every prediction was wrong. If thet had +15 sources, it's hard to believe not a single one of them would know about this.

It's very possible Toei never started working an another DBS anime to begin with. The next movie was talked about recently even though it probably won't come out for another two years. Why would they be so secretive about the anime but open about the next movie being in the early stages? I'm pretty sure there's no consequence for Toei to admit that they're currently working on the anime sequel. At this point, I would say the next movie is more likely to come out before another anime.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:44 pm

I must admit, even though I think it's highly unlikely anything will be announced today, if there is something announced, it'll be amusing to see Geekdom backpedal immediately and be like "Uhhhhh yeah I totally knew about this the whole time, was just messin with you guys awkward laugh"
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:18 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:35 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:21 pm
DBZ_Lee wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:14 pm
I just think it got postponed due to Stampede, One Piece is top dog over there, and they want to give that all the marketing for now.
But didn't that One Piece enthusiast (I think his name was Skippy?) say that no one of note from Dragon Ball went over to work on Stampede?

And if Super has its own movie to do and an anime in preproduction then why would they steal their staff?
I'm talking strictly from a marketing perspective here.
sangofe wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:16 am
DBZ_Lee wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:01 pm The French dub was all recorded early this year, and the first batch of the Universe Survival Arc aired in March.
The last few episodes are airing in September, which is nearly 5 months after the first lot.
Make of that what you will.

I will say, that Toei Europe, who produce the French dub, aren't a recording studio, and unlike Funimation, aren't set up for Simuldubs.
They use independent contractors to write the episodes in French, so I don't think they could do it.

The only company I know that can produce them, and are set up to do so, is Funimation.
Italy are waiting for the final 15 episodes since May. Spain have been stuck on episode 96 since last December, and Portugal are re-starting after a long hiatus next Monday with Episode 105.
Doesn't mean things will continue to be the same. There's the dragon ball room now, you know.
The Dragon Ball room at Shueisha is for rights and editing, they will likely have nothing to do with the infrastructure of overseas companies wishing to dub the series.
Of course, right now, simuldubbing isn't commonplace anywhere, but things may very well change in the future, and tbh, I hope they do, and perhaps Super's return will see many companies make drastic changes to the way they record their material moving forward.
HeroR wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:36 pm
DBZ_Lee wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:14 pm

Not necessarily, to be fair, they could change their infrastructure in order to be able to produce it, but I don't see Toei Europe going for Simuldubs.

I just think it got postponed due to Stampede, One Piece is top dog over there, and they want to give that all the marketing for now.
Dragon Ball surpassed One Piece in Japan awhile ago.
The anime and manga are still more popular though, but merchandising wise, DB has overtaken it for sure.

More popular doesn't mean anything if the other produce makes more money.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:33 pm

HeroR wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:18 pm
DBZ_Lee wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:35 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:21 pm
But didn't that One Piece enthusiast (I think his name was Skippy?) say that no one of note from Dragon Ball went over to work on Stampede?

And if Super has its own movie to do and an anime in preproduction then why would they steal their staff?
I'm talking strictly from a marketing perspective here.
sangofe wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:16 am

Doesn't mean things will continue to be the same. There's the dragon ball room now, you know.
The Dragon Ball room at Shueisha is for rights and editing, they will likely have nothing to do with the infrastructure of overseas companies wishing to dub the series.
Of course, right now, simuldubbing isn't commonplace anywhere, but things may very well change in the future, and tbh, I hope they do, and perhaps Super's return will see many companies make drastic changes to the way they record their material moving forward.
HeroR wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:36 pm

Dragon Ball surpassed One Piece in Japan awhile ago.
The anime and manga are still more popular though, but merchandising wise, DB has overtaken it for sure.

More popular doesn't mean anything if the other produce makes more money.
As far as i know DB is doing a lot more money than One Piece, or at last thats what i remember reading on the last reports of Toei.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:57 pm

Nevermind 2.0, is SDCC's "larger showing" really just 700+ people doing a Kamehameha? Seriously?

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:01 pm

Is it possible Toei purposely lets some of their employees leak false information so that fans start to question them whenever someone claims to have spoilers? According to their website, they have about 1200 employees. They have more in their subsidiaries like Toei Philippines which has 160. I'm not sure how many are working on Dragonball or aware of it being in production but it should a lot less than that. Wouldn't it be easier for Toei to narrow it down and figure out which employees are potentially leaking confidential information? Would these employees still risk it?

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:04 pm

Skar wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:01 pm Is it possible Toei purposely lets some of their employees leak false information so that fans start to question them whenever someone claims to have spoilers? According to their website, they have about 1200 employees. They have more in their subsidiaries like Toei Philippines which has 160. I'm not sure how many are working on Dragonball or aware of it being in production but it should a lot less than that. Wouldn't it be easier for Toei to narrow it down and figure out which employees are potentially leaking confidential information? Would these employees still risk it?
It isn't totally silly but that excuse is even worse than the stampede one. You can't just assume Toei is having this conspiracy project whenever the predictions fail.

Right now I'd rather believe Toei who's been repeating that they haven't even started on the anime yet than the youtubers who haven't been able to get anything right regarding 2.0.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:09 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:04 pmIt isn't totally silly but that excuse is even worse than the stampede one. You can't just assume Toei is having this conspiracy project whenever the predictions fail.
I'm willing to give AnimeAjay the benefit of the doubt since he came forward and didn't resort to any excuses when his predictions were wrong. I don't think it's a major conspiracy theory and might be something like this:

Toei executive: We don't have anything planned right now and we'll be honest when asked directly.
Toei employee: But some fans don't believe those statements and keep contacting us on social media. Could we "leak" information so that they would leave us alone when it's proven false?
Toei executive: Technically we can't dictate what you say in private messages so it's fine as long as you're not giving away any actual confidential information.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:37 pm

Skar wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:09 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:04 pmIt isn't totally silly but that excuse is even worse than the stampede one. You can't just assume Toei is having this conspiracy project whenever the predictions fail.
Toei executive: We don't have anything planned right now and we'll be honest when asked directly.
Toei employee: But some fans don't believe those statements and keep contacting us on social media. Could we "leak" information so that they would leave us alone when it's proven false?
Toei executive: Technically we can't dictate what you say in private messages so it's fine as long as you're not giving away any actual confidential information.
That makes no sense though.

1. If this was some executive's idea then the Stampede issue (or all of the unexpected situations throughout this year) shouldn't have been such a shock. We're either not knowing what's going on or left hanging until the last minute constantly. This would make sense if all of their leaks were in the Philippines but that's not the case and there's like 17+ sources. There shouldn't be any excuse. Especially if one of them was an executive like you're saying.

2. Why would they waste time posting shady leaks instead of making an announcement saying that 2.0 is confirmed but just not being worked on at the moment?

3. Now that I think about it, That producer for the Broly movie said exactly that. As of right now there's nothing to prove that he's wrong, infact, the past denial the officials have been saying and the fact that there's no evidence of the animation being put into play proves him right. Are you going to tell me some half baked theory about Toei wasting their time lying to us is more believable than the staff holding the anime so they can make another movie?

4. People that believe this theory tend to ignore how weird it sounds that three competent adults fell for it and continued to fall for it all year and some of last year even with the hole filled excuses their sources gave them. It sounds odd that we're able to smell foul play in these excuses and they couldn't despite getting them first.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:54 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:37 pmThat makes no sense though.

1. If this was some executive's idea then the Stampede issue (or all of the unexpected situations throughout this year) shouldn't have been such a shock. We're either not knowing what's going on or left hanging until the last minute constantly. This would make sense if all of their leaks were in the Philippines but that's not the case and there's like 17+ sources. There shouldn't be any excuse. Especially if one of them was an executive like you're saying.

2. Why would they waste time posting shady leaks with clear to see holes instead of saying that 2.0 is confirmed but just not being worked on at the moment?

3. Now that I think about it, That producer for the Broly movie said exactly that. As of right now there's nothing to prove that he's wrong, infact, the past denial proves him right. Are you going to tell me some half baked theory about Toei wasting their time lying to us is more believable than the staff holding the anime so they can make another movie?

4. People that believe this theory tend to ignore how weird it sounds that three competent adults fell for it and continued to fall for it all year and some of last year even with the hole filled excuses their sources gave them. It sounds odd that we're able to smell foul play in these excuses and they couldn't despite getting them first.
I honestly have no idea what was going on. I'm just throwing out a possible theory since that's pretty much what this thread has been about after the first prediction was wrong. There are only so many possibilities:

1. The Youtubers lied and there were no sources.

2. The Youtubers told the truth but the sources purposely leaked false information.

3. The Youtubers told the truth but there was some miscommunication and the sources may have been referring to a different anime or they just didn't understand the question.

4. Plans changed and Super's return was delayed but apparently none of the sources knew about it and it wasn't discovered until after multiple predictions failed.

Whichever explanation you choose doesn't make much of a difference since we're likely never getting a definitive answer.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:06 pm

My theory is that, if they really are getting some false info, it's not from Toei. It's just some shady backdoor source.

As much as I want to, I won't assume they're lying. I can't think of a motive that justifies lying to their fans for this long.