"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noitsnothim
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Noitsnothim » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:23 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:44 pm I must admit, even though I think it's highly unlikely anything will be announced today, if there is something announced, it'll be amusing to see Geekdom backpedal immediately and be like "Uhhhhh yeah I totally knew about this the whole time, was just messin with you guys awkward laugh"
been noticing a lot of that recently it's embarrassing

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:24 pm

I wish they would've never said shit to begin with honestly and the only on-going anime is Heroes and just accept that the new movie will debut next year in the fall

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:36 pm

Terez says Super 2.0 turned into the Heroes anime.

She's probably joking but does anyone believe this?
Last edited by IntangibleFancy on Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:42 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:36 pm Terez says Super 2.0 turned into the Heroes anime.
Wow, SDH is worse, than nothing. :lol:

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:45 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:06 pm My theory is that, if they really are getting some false info, it's not from Toei. It's just some shady backdoor source.
That's possible but are you saying that all 15 or so sources were like that? Based on what AnimeAjay said on here before, he contacted Toei employees through their social media accounts. It's unlikely these guys were masquerading as actual employees in the off chance that a fan asks them for leaks.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:46 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:36 pm Terez says Super 2.0 turned into the Heroes anime.

She's probably joking but does anyone believe this?
I'm...pretty sure she's kidding dude.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:51 pm

Skar wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:45 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:06 pm My theory is that, if they really are getting some false info, it's not from Toei. It's just some shady backdoor source.
That's possible but are you saying that all 15 or so sources were like that? Based on what AnimeAjay said on here before, he contacted Toei employees through their social media accounts. It's unlikely these guys were masquerading as actual employees in the off chance that a fan asks them for leaks.
Good point.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:56 pm

Iyoku openly offers up that another movie is in the early stages, EVERYONE officially associated with DB denies the anime is being worked on or returning anytime soon. At this point I really think we are getting another movie sometime next summer and anime in the fall of 2020

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:08 pm

Welp. Isn't it like 5 minutes of the panel left? It's like now or be done with it for the time being.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:26 pm

I expected this but I'm still angry.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:42 pm

Welp, panel's come and gone, nothing announced.

I'm not shocked, as I said earlier I expected this. I think at this point the probability of Super coming out this year is basically zero. In a way, it makes sense. I have a strong feeling Toei and/or Shueisha wants the manga to be far ahead of the anime before it comes back, so that they can adapt from it.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:02 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:42 pm Welp, panel's come and gone, nothing announced.

I'm not shocked, as I said earlier I expected this. I think at this point the probability of Super coming out this year is basically zero. In a way, it makes sense. I have a strong feeling Toei and/or Shueisha wants the manga to be far ahead of the anime before it comes back, so that they can adapt from it.
With how long Toyo takes it'll take a century (I rather have movies)

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:35 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:42 pm Welp, panel's come and gone, nothing announced.

I think we only have a few chapters left of the Moro saga based on the spoilers that Moro's 3rd wish will be revealed this chapter. What happens after could give us an idea of what they have planned for the future. I'm pretty sure Moro was Toyotaro's idea with only supervision from Toriyama. If the next saga is the same, that could mean the anime isn't returning at all and Toriyama's next story will be featured in the movie.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:45 pm

Skar wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:35 pm

I think we only have a few chapters left of the Moro saga based on the spoilers that Moro's 3rd wish will be revealed this chapter. What happens after could give us an idea of what they have planned for the future. I'm pretty sure Moro was Toyotaro's idea with only supervision from Toriyama. If the next saga is the same, that could mean the anime isn't returning at all and Toriyama's next story will be featured in the movie.
Perhaps the plan going forward is to have movies every few years while the manga fills in the story that takes place between films.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:27 pm

I honestly think we're better off just looking forward to this new movie rather than the possibility of the anime returning.

What I think happened was that Super's return to television was definitely in the works, but the incredible box office numbers that Broly pulled in probably changed plans for the franchise. Super's anime got put on hold so that attention could be shifted to this new movie. We actually know that there's a movie in the works because it was announced(?) ('mentioned' is probably a better word to use here) in the artwork book included in the Broly special edition that released in Japan. We've got nothing but rumours to rely on for Super 2.0, so we're better off anticipating what developments are being made on this new movie rather than waiting for the anime to come back.

I mean, if I was a producer and I heard that a movie we just made broke box office records, the most obvious thing to do would be to make another movie and pull off another box office hit. $124.5 million worldwide. That is insane. I remember speculating that it could manage to crack $100 million, but I was kind of doubtful. :lol:

Broly also teased some possible plot threads for the future. Freeza reveals that he wants Broly for himself and use him to fight against Goku and Vegeta. Vegeta reveals in the movie that he's training to fight Freeza. Goku wants to train Broly in the future. This all makes me wonder if they're saving this for a direct sequel. It would be kinda off for Toriyama to tease all of that and then not follow up with it later on.

So besides this new movie which will probably come out next year, all we've got in terms of Dragon Ball content for 2019 is... Super Dragon Ball Heroes. Not gonna lie, after that last episode? I'm kinda warming up to it.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:41 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:45 pmPerhaps the plan going forward is to have movies every few years while the manga fills in the story that takes place between films.
My hope is a grand finale movie that ties into EoZ :thumbup: . All I want is a good ending and for Dragonball not turn into another neverending revival of a classic series. They can still milk it with video games and Heroes but I'm hoping Toriyama's official story gets a conclusion.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:21 am

Skar wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:41 pm
PremiumSalt wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:45 pmPerhaps the plan going forward is to have movies every few years while the manga fills in the story that takes place between films.
My hope is a grand finale movie that ties into EoZ :thumbup: . All I want is a good ending and for Dragonball not turn into another neverending revival of a classic series. They can still milk it with video games and Heroes but I'm hoping Toriyama's official story gets a conclusion.
Yea I'm gonna disagree on that one. I have always disliked EoZ, but the existence of Super progressively makes it a worse and worse ending as time progresses. I'd like it if they just ignored it, and when they decide to lay the franchise to rest once more, to come up with a new, better, and more satisfying ending that is completely unrelated to EoZ.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:59 am

PremiumSalt wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:21 amYea I'm gonna disagree on that one. I have always disliked EoZ, but the existence of Super progressively makes it a worse and worse ending as time progresses. I'd like it if they just ignored it, and when they decide to lay the franchise to rest once more, to come up with a new, better, and more satisfying ending that is completely unrelated to EoZ.
They've already brought up Uub in both the anime and manga and Toyotaro mentioned that DBS "must reach Dragonball's ending". Toriyama could come up with a different ending for DBS itself possibly taking place after EoZ but it's unlikely he would ignore the last two chapters of the original manga.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:53 am

Dragon Ball works better as a weekly TV show. Having a movie every 2 year would kill all the hype Super generated.
We should be getting movies AND a TV show. It would give us fans more content and it would also make Toei a lot of money - definitely much more than what One Piece does, yet it’s still getting all their attention.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:00 am

emperior wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:53 am Dragon Ball works better as a weekly TV show. Having a movie every 2 year would kill all the hype Super generated.
We should be getting movies AND a TV show. It would give us fans more content and it would also make Toei a lot of money - definitely much more than what One Piece does, yet it’s still getting all their attention.
Again, TV shows are really expensive. The merchandise money doesn't all go to TOEI (if any, since the IP belongs to Shueisha) TV shows usually make money from ads and OP always had better ratings than DBS meaning it makes more money for TOEI on that front. Also I think OP sells more DVDs.