"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:33 am

Noitsnothim wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:11 am Moro's new crew have to be some of the worst designs i've seen yet in DB history (not only do they copy other designs from the T.O.P) but they look lame and not intimidating (the only one i'll let pass is the Hit look alike and U7 Metalman)
Indeed. Truth be told, I doubt that he has any ideas left in that section. Lol

Anyway, I know it is stupid talk, but if anything, should Bojack ever return, this event would have acted as the perfect reason. A prisoner who just escaped and didn't know Moro. I can see his actions having a great impact on the universe. He could even unleash his energy upon death and say "if I cannot defeat you, they will" and BOOM a portal to the Demon realm opens, unbeknownst to our characters, with the following arc being the preparation of the demons for invading U7
P O W E R

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:41 am

I hoped that Moro's wish would be greater, but after reading the chapter I think it works well and gives a good variety of enemies (constant fights only against Moro would have become boring), I hope Freeza army or Z Fighters get into the fight. The fact that Moro is strengthening his allies with energy can also make them a bigger challenge to the heroes.

It's also interesting to see a Metalman from U7 (something that was quoted in the Champa Tournament), and particularly the other designs did not bother me

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:20 am

Noitsnothim wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:11 am Moro's new crew have to be some of the worst designs i've seen yet in DB history (not only do they copy other designs from the T.O.P) but they look lame and not intimidating (the only one i'll let pass is the Hit look alike and U7 Metalman)
One of them actually looks like Bart Simpson lol

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:32 am

Current scoreboard:
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:03 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:41 am I hoped that Moro's wish would be greater, but after reading the chapter I think it works well and gives a good variety of enemies (constant fights only against Moro would have become boring), I hope Freeza army or Z Fighters get into the fight. The fact that Moro is strengthening his allies with energy can also make them a bigger challenge to the heroes.

It's also interesting to see a Metalman from U7 (something that was quoted in the Champa Tournament), and particularly the other designs did not bother me
No to that would massively prefer the z fighters to fight Moro gang

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:18 am

Wasn't it said that the inhabitants of Yardrat in general possessed strange techniques? I believe Goku said he only had enough time to learn the teleport.

I have a feeling it's going to come down to more than that technique alone.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:41 am

At least it's something different from the bland "immortality" and whatsoever, though I must say the designs are ugly.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:59 am

What about the 3 female characters? I think Toyotaro did a fine job with them, I especially like the punk looking girl.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:09 am

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:29 am

That was a pretty average chapter to be honest.

I found it incredibly awkward goku went to Ssj3 as a step down from God. I mean logically yeah I guess it just seems wierd.

Fighting random thugs got boring pretty quick as well. Interesting Moro can share power I wonder if he's slightly weaker as a result. His wish was at least something different then were used too but given the intrigue it was as if they were building up to something that could be guessed and that clearly wasn't the case.

Those vegeta panels towards the end though. Getting frustrated about Moro then actually doing something smart and productive about it while ditching Goku! Hell yeah that whole thing was refreshing. And yardrat of all places! Awesome.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:44 am

I don't like the trend to fodderize SSJ3 in each and every fight these days.

It did well against Kid Buu, but now DBS came and suddenly it's the worst transformation ever because reasons. Literally no boost, SSJ1 can (and did) achieve more through DBS run.

Is it ALL because it's just too hard to draw? Is that the main reason behind it?

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:46 am

I'm really curious to see what Vegeta could (try to) learn on Yardrat. I'm not sure what techniques could directly counter Moro other than an "I have magic immunity now" technique, which I really hope it isn't, so this'll be interesting.
About the inmate designs, most of those were... acceptable but cookie-cutter, I suppose? A lot of them look like other members of species we've already seen before, such as the "young Ginyu" (not actually Ginyu, but you know), the Zarbon-like person, the Metalman (Magetta's species, and species are shared in twin universes)... Which is okay, of course, because there aren't that many species in Universe 7 to begin with (unless "28 planets" was anime-only, in which case never mind). But then there's the more original beings, and even though we haven't seen them before, we've seen them before. Which is also okay for generic henchmen, but maybe it's a bit too generic, you know?
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:47 am

so vegeta is going to yardat for what exactly? and also powerscaling again? those guys should've been killed by any hit from goku or vegeta no matter the power drain/strain they had

also moro's wish (the final 1) is stupid as hell. He could've easily released them all himself why waste a wish for that? He should've wished for immortality or something.

I would like to see moro run into frieza and fight him and his forces but we know that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Also is beerus gonna care yet?

Why is boo "tired" he never gets that way unless he's fighting himself so it seems some plotholes have occurred again. shocking

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:54 am

Xeogran wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:44 am I don't like the trend to fodderize SSJ3 in each and every fight these days.

It did well against Kid Buu, but now DBS came and suddenly it's the worst transformation ever because reasons. Literally no boost, SSJ1 can (and did) achieve more through DBS run.

Is it ALL because it's just too hard to draw? Is that the main reason behind it?
To be honest, SSJ3 has never been an advantageous transformation, not even in DBZ. Literalmebte failed at all crucial times in which it was used. Toriyama himself said that after the BoG, Goku realized that mastering his base form and SSJ was more advantageous than SSJ2 and 3, wich spend a lot of energy

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:03 pm

Random and scattered thought about Chapter 50:

- Moro's third wish was pretty dull and pretty dumb. Surely Moro would have the power by now to break into that prison and set everyone free. Why waste a wish on that? The prisoners released posed no threat at all unless Goku and Vegeta were actively getting drained of their energy by Moro. So if Moro's not around, the freed prisoners can't do shit to Goku and Vegeta. That's such an unnecessary storytelling crutch. Why not have the prisoners just be incredibly strong or have unique abilities that put Goku and Vegeta in jeopardy -- much like Moro does -- without having to rely on Moro for them to be worth a damn in battle? But given ANYTHING would have been better than wishing for immortality, I guess beggars can't be choosers.

- The freed Galactic Patrol prisoners have some of the worst designs I've seen in Dragon Ball in a long time.

- I've soured on Moro. He just has no character. Moro is basically Evil Jiren. A stock character archetype that exists solely to move the plot forward, doesn't have any kind of unique personality quirk to make him stand out as an antagonist and has the most generic and vague motivation you can possibly imagine. Moro is the least interesting part of the arc where he is the main villain of. And the fact he's already exposited why he's doing what he's doing gives me a terrible feeling we're reaching the endgame of the arc. He really is Janemba, mixed with Kid Boo, with a splash of King Piccolo and a seasoning of Jiren.

- Goku and Vegeta's battle against the freed Galactic Patrol prisoners was okay, I guess.

- I hope Vegeta going the Planet Yardrat provides to greater insight of the race and gives Vegeta some kind of new technique.

Overall... meh.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:07 pm

nato25 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:29 am Those vegeta panels towards the end though. Getting frustrated about Moro then actually doing something smart and productive about it while ditching Goku! Hell yeah that whole thing was refreshing. And yardrat of all places! Awesome.
Yeah. That has me super excited.

As for Moro's wish being lame, I think it's fine and it served a purpose. Him wishing for immortality would just be a retread of stuff we have already seen. It doesn't matter that his wish "didn't make sense", I prefer we get something new/different than a retread.

I thought this chapter was better than the last one. This one has me pumped up for next month.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:30 pm

Cool to see the prison. Prisoners don't look great, but I didn't expect them to. Still not as bad as the fodder from the previous arc. I got pretty excited to see a bad Metalman.

The wish didn't really meet my expectations, but I think it works. While it's clear that Moro doesn't actually care about the personal well-being of his allies (Cranberry), his decision to rely on their teamwork works well coming off of the Tournament of Power. Moro's energy manipulation continues to get mileage here with beefing up fodder. The increase in length of Moro's beard after sharing power was nice attention to detail (I thought it was an error at first...). Looking forward to see what comes of this.

Not looking forward to reading about reactions to Vegeta's ""character regression"" in this chapter, despite the fact that he immediately goes against what he says. He wants to atone for his sins on Namek, but he's still allowed to be frustrated. Vegeta is allowed to be Vegeta. He acknowleges that magic and tricky techniques aren't his style, but he understands that there might not be another option.

Teleporting to the Galactic King's bathroom was pretty great.

If Vegeta only learns teleportation from Yardrat, okay. There's potential for more if Toyo/Tori remembered. It took Goku a year to learn teleportation, but Vegeta has come much further as a martial artist since then.
Regardless, we've been getting some pretty decent cliff-hangers lately.

This French tweet explains that Moro and Saganbo's name puns are likely based on seafood like Jaco and Merus:
jplaya2023 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:47 amWhy is boo "tired" he never gets that way unless he's fighting himself so it seems some plotholes have occurred again. shocking
Boo vs Beerus in Battle of Gods.
Last edited by batistabus on Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:30 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:03 pmThe prisoners released posed no threat at all unless Goku and Vegeta were actively getting drained of their energy by Moro.
Well the main prisoners haven't even showed up on Namek. The Hit/Magetta/Botamo lookalikes and the three girls I'm assuming.

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:49 pm

Moro wish is lame and stupid considering he could’ve done it himself
Regardless there’s better be something worth about the fodder prisoners cause without Moro there nothing

Trek405

Post by Trek405 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:02 pm

batistabus wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:30 pm Not looking forward to reading about reactions to Vegeta's ""character regression"" in this chapter, despite the fact that he immediately goes against what he says. He wants to atone for his sins on Namek, but he's still allowed to be frustrated. Vegeta is allowed to be Vegeta. He acknowleges that magic and tricky techniques aren't his style, but he understands that there might not be another option.
They've already started unfortunately. Apparently vegeta being frustrated at constantly being thwarted by moros magic at every turn negates his remorse earlier in the arc and reverts him back to old cell saga vegeta. Because we all know cell saga vegeta would definitely travel to yardrat to presumably ask for help/learn from them right?

Besides that i really hope piccolo and the others show up to fight moros new army