Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:48 am

So, just FYI, here's an especially incriminating video that I recently uploaded myself:

https://youtu.be/dhsgIvApdeo

The original uploader took it down, not wanting people to "misrepresent" Vic.

But, I'd already saved it. As much as I hate going against her wishes... The truth is the truth. Vic isn't the only one being affected by this case, so it must be faced, no matter how painful :( .
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:56 am

Oh yes, quick question. As far as I'm aware, the requirements for a defamation case are...

--------------------------------------------------------------------
1) The plaintiff must not be a public figure (otherwise, damaging remarks just sort of "come with the territory")

2) The plaintiff must prove that none of what the defendants said is true (which he already sunk)

3) Even having fulfilled 1 & 2, the plaintiff must prove the acts were done with actual malice behind them
--------------------------------------------------------------------

That about it? Or am I missing some more requirements?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:01 am

Shaddy wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:44 pm Image

*giggles incessantly*

I really hope all the people who donated take a lesson from this. First, that when dozens of unrelated women complain about one dude's behavior in the exact same manner for over a decade, they're probably not lying, and second, that GoFundMe campaigns for lawsuits are a stupid thing to spend money on.
My God, that is an awful Twitter handle. What shock that they're siding with Vic.

But yeah, I was wondering if the GoFundMe would be cancelled and I'm really glad it has. Perfect timing - every possible why the Vic side can deflate, it is. This is beyond glorious.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:36 am

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:15 pm Quite a few updates today thanks to Vic's full unredacted deposition releasing -- I don't know if I'll have time to go through everything, but I'll get through the most pressing (one including Chuck Huber, who I know some of us were concerned about):

-First and foremost, I don't recall if this was shared before, but regardless, Vic admits to not even reading his own lawsuit. Not a surprise.

-The context behind Vic's threesome attempt with the twins has been revealed -- apparently, he'd encountered them numerous times at conventions years before said attempt, when they just turned 20. In other words, he was grooming them under the impression they were "interested" in him. Ew.

-In 2013, Huber sent an email to Rial and Toye, which containined a statement from Vic claiming he's a sex addict. Vic states Huber considers himself a friend of the parties involved and thought this may've mended bridges between them and Vic. Rial and Toye weren't having it.

-Not sure if this is from the same source, but numerous affidavits surfaced involving what I believe are other witnesses/accusers. Someone may want to dig around or ask Greg. If I'm reading it right, they may involve people from his teaching days?

Bonus: Context behind Jamie Marchi's infamous "I want his balls" tweet.
So is Chuck a scumbag or not?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:42 am

ssj4 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:36 am So is Chuck a scumbag or not?
I'd say that at this point, it's a little hard to say for sure. Unless there's been a newer statement from him somewhere, 2013 was a long enough time ago in this timeline of events that he could have changed his opinion by now, or even decided to just stay out of it more at this point in time.

I'm quoting my fiance at this point as she's watched it and I've not (never been that big of a Star Trek fan), but apparently in some of the behind-the-scenes stuff for Star Trek Continues where Chuck plays Bones, he brings up that Vic approached him for his part during a very dark time in Huber's life, where he was apparently even contemplating suicide. If this is all true, then it makes all the more sense why he would be struggling in regards to seeing his 'friend' for what he really is. For now, we can at least hope though that in the 5 years since he sent that e-mail that maybe he's opened his eyes even if only a little bit.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:50 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:42 am I'm quoting my fiance at this point as she's watched it and I've not (never been that big of a Star Trek fan), but apparently in some of the behind-the-scenes stuff for Star Trek Continues where Chuck plays Bones, he brings up that Vic approached him for his part during a very dark time in Huber's life, where he was apparently even contemplating suicide. If this is all true, then it makes all the more sense why he would be struggling in regards to seeing his 'friend' for what he really is. For now, we can at least hope though that in the 5 years since he sent that e-mail that maybe he's opened his eyes even if only a little bit.
Well... Yeah. That's one of life's hardest lessons. You don't need to be a good person to do good things... and you don't need to be a bad person to do bad things.

It's amazing how often that one trips people up. "Neutrality" really is about the best you can hope for with that sort of emotional attachment :(

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:01 am

Greg gets into how the affidavit of Stan Dahlin -- the KawaiiCon founder -- won't help Vic.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:00 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:29 pm
Well, I've been on Twitter myself, and there definitely ARE people jumping ship, with one person outright saying "****. I feel real bad backing the wrong horse now".

OTHERS, however... Well...

https://twitter.com/Luke47134324/status ... 60256?s=20

https://twitter.com/Darkbunnyrabbit/sta ... 58848?s=20

I make it a rule to always assume the best in people. With interactions like these, I have absolutely no explanation, other than...

1) They refuse to actually read or see what's right in front of them.

2) They're driven entirely by their emotions, and how badly they want Vic to win...

3) They're deathly afraid of admitting they're wrong.
Yeesh, there's a lot of Y I K E S to unpack here. I'm especially left shaking my head at this exchange in the second thread you posted:

"Testimony isn't proof." :lol: There's still a staunch belief that even things Vic himself admitted to are slanderous lies to defame him, and his own confessions are somehow others "twisting his words". The level of delusion going on is just unbelievable...
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:02 pm

I owe a correction regarding Chuck Huber's involvement -- Rial and Toye's TCPA motion dropped today, and while I could emphasize on how it instantly goes for the jugular, reading through Mike Dunford's thread on the motion had me go back to yesterday's thread and realize I goofed up on the date Huber sent out the "sex addict" emails; it wasn't 2013, but actually this year. (Specifically this March.) Sorry! :oops:

Regardless, it does appear he took it upon himself to act as a mediator between Vic and the defendants -- email chains between him and Rial where he drafts up apology statements from all parties involved can be found here and here. (For whatever reason, the chronology is backwards, so read back from each tweet's second page.)

Basically, Vic's statement would go out in return for Marchi and Rial recanting their accusations. It should also be noted Huber's use of "legal team" implies Rekieta's involvement -- whether this is a misunderstanding on his end or something behind-the-scenes, I'm not sure. Regardless, Rial refused the statements on the grounds they weren't true.

While some say they respect Huber for encouraging Vic to come clean with his issues, I'd agree if weren't for his Marchi/Toye/Rial statement which is...not a good look.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:38 pm

Vic is admitting he did these things and people are still like No hE diDnT. God I almost feel bad for Vic that these people are supposedly on his side.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:56 pm

A reader's guide for Rial and Toye's 500-page long TCPA: a good chunk of it's evidence and depositions, but the key parts to read are the first 27 pages (where the motion summarizes Vic's history as a predator, this whole scandal, and Vic's inability to link the defendants to his being dropped) and the affidavits (Pg. 294-373).

I should warn y'all: No matter how ready you think you are for Kara Edwards's affidavit/Michele Specht's (Vic's ex-fiance) emails to Vic, you aren't. Viewer discretion advised.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:48 pm

Well, out of respect for Gemma Black's wishes, I've taken down the vid, and have promised not to upload it again. As it turns out, there've been some nasty folks harassing HER on account of her supporting Vic, and I don't want that to happen.

Sorry for anyone here who got some use out of that vid. On the upshot, this case is going well enough, anyway, that I don't believe it'll be necessary to spread the truth.

excelhedge
Beyond Newbie

Post by excelhedge » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:45 am

yeah I'm slogging thru the disposition videos (still can't find decent ones that don't have rekaita constantly interrupting or aren't edited by some other youtuber), but it's not looking good for either side.

Toye's full of it with his constant "I do not recall" crap. Honestly who going to believe he can't remember his twitter handle or the fact he made all those tweets

half way thru Vic's but I'm guessing where he admits to the hair pull is in the second half. I have to make time to finish it.

Rail's hotel story seems fishy when Stan outright says he wasn't involved in it. despite her constantly saying he was.

Seriously I need links to the videos that are not thru Rekeita 5hours videos of him constantly interrupting. I don't need to hear his BS when all I'm interested in all the actual depositions

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:03 am

Just go read the transcript on the TCPA motion.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:51 am

Shit, I might as well go watch the Broly movies in the original language from now on because of Dicknogna admitting to all of this. I'll miss the unofficial American soundtrack too...

Aaaand as for Rial, I think she needs to lay low for a while cuz these "Weaboo Warrior" Vic stans I'm seeing on Twitter and YouTube, they're coming after her. Luckily it's the internet and not real life. The internet's where the nobodies get to be the cool kid bullies they've always wanted to be.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:31 am

You can watch the movies however you want, Vic isn't getting money from them (not that I think the old dubs and their replaced music are good, but I digress). Though I can see how association with this debacle might turn you off from the stuff he's in. I certainly will have a harder time looking at the FMA dub, and whenever I get around to rewatching JoJo Part 4 via the dub that's going to be an awkward thing hanging over the experience.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:40 am

Shaddy wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:31 am You can watch the movies however you want, Vic isn't getting money from them (not that I think the old dubs and their replaced music are good, but I digress). Though I can see how association with this debacle might turn you off from the stuff he's in. I certainly will have a harder time looking at the FMA dub, and whenever I get around to rewatching JoJo Part 4 via the dub that's going to be an awkward thing hanging over the experience.
For me Vic's take on Dragon Soul is the only English iteration I can stand, and now that's totally out the window and in the bin with my Michael Jackson music.

excelhedge
Beyond Newbie

Post by excelhedge » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:06 am

MozillaVulpix wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:03 am Just go read the transcript on the TCPA motion.
No offense but I rather watch the videos if I can. You kinda lose the tone of voice when you read text and definitely can't read facial expressions.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:08 am

excelhedge wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:06 am No offense but I rather watch the videos if I can. You kinda lose the tone of voice when you read text and definitely can't read facial expressions.
On the other hand, it also takes significantly longer to get through it all by watching instead of reading. Not a problem on your first viewing... But when you're trying to debate others, and need to recall a specific point? That's when having something quick and easy is handy.

excelhedge
Beyond Newbie

Post by excelhedge » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:09 am

Fionordequester wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:08 am
excelhedge wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:06 am No offense but I rather watch the videos if I can. You kinda lose the tone of voice when you read text and definitely can't read facial expressions.
On the other hand, it also takes significantly longer to get through it all by watching instead of reading. Not a problem on your first viewing... But when you're trying to debate others, and need to recall a specific point? That's when having something quick and easy is handy.
well that what the transcripts are for. I just rather watch the vids first.