Dragon Ball Super in Portugal

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super in Portugal

Post by wjbraden » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:02 am

Gafonso6 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:27 am
Luso Saiyan wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:44 am It probably won't happen, but I think that if Biggs is successful with DBS, they should get the license for Kai and order a dub later on. Specially now when the main characters have new voice actors, and it would bring some context to those watching DBS that aren't familiar with Dragon Ball.
This is a thing I actually really want them to do, not just because I love the new cast but because I actually want to be able to watch the Z story from start to finish with a dub that's actually good, they can even send it to Audio-In since from what it seems the problem with the Super dub was the cast not getting along with the studio since the My Hero Academia dub is probably the best anime dub Portugal ever got.
I know it's totally unrelated, but speaking of MHA, I caught an episode of the dub and noticed the opening was undubbed, despite there being a dubbed version of it released on the official MHA FB page a few months ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoVtprW9OVk. Did something happen licensing-wise to prevent them from using it at the last minute?
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:14 am

wjbraden wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:02 am I know it's totally unrelated, but speaking of MHA, I caught an episode of the dub and noticed the opening was undubbed, despite there being a dubbed version of it released on the official MHA FB page a few months ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoVtprW9OVk. Did something happen licensing-wise to prevent them from using it at the last minute?
That FB page was not official, it was just a fan project made to convince a channel to buy the rights of the series (it was presented to SIC and BIGGS and since SIC right now believes that nobody watches anime on TV BIGGS was the one that got the rights). That opening and the OVA that came with it are just a fandub, a pretty good and professional sounding one but still just a fandub, they had intentions of dubbing the opening on the official dub but Toho did not let them do it.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:06 am

Gafonso6 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:14 am
wjbraden wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:02 am I know it's totally unrelated, but speaking of MHA, I caught an episode of the dub and noticed the opening was undubbed, despite there being a dubbed version of it released on the official MHA FB page a few months ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoVtprW9OVk. Did something happen licensing-wise to prevent them from using it at the last minute?
That FB page was not official, it was just a fan project made to convince a channel to buy the rights of the series (it was presented to SIC and BIGGS and since SIC right now believes that nobody watches anime on TV BIGGS was the one that got the rights). That opening and the OVA that came with it are just a fandub, a pretty good and professional sounding one but still just a fandub, they had intentions of dubbing the opening on the official dub but Toho did not let them do it.
Oh, wasn't aware it was a fandub, considering Quimbe other prominent VA's were in it.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:43 pm

wjbraden wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:06 am
Gafonso6 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:14 am
Oh, wasn't aware it was a fandub, considering Quimbe other prominent VA's were in it.
Quimbé was like the godfather of that fandub, he was the one that showed it to Biggs.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:51 am

diogoarez wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:42 pm
PTOldMan wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:01 pm There are some posters announcing new episodes of Dragon Ball Super on Biggs on some bus stops around my city. Nice!
And with screenings of the first 2 episodes of the ''new dub'' in a cinema. Really exciting times to be a Dragon Ball fan.
Did they really show these episodes in the cinema?

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:34 am

TheRed259 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:51 am
diogoarez wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:42 pm
PTOldMan wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:01 pm There are some posters announcing new episodes of Dragon Ball Super on Biggs on some bus stops around my city. Nice!
And with screenings of the first 2 episodes of the ''new dub'' in a cinema. Really exciting times to be a Dragon Ball fan.
Did they really show these episodes in the cinema?
Yes, the screenings were today in Lisbon and Porto.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:12 pm

Which episodes were those?

P.S: I was talking about Kai, but I wouldn't mind a dub of Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F'. I think the chances of that happening aren't as low as the ones for a Kai dub.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:19 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:12 pm Which episodes were those?
105 and 106, the same ones they showed at iberanime.

diogoarez
Beyond Newbie

Post by diogoarez » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:21 pm

The new episode aired and I have mixed feelings, it's great that Super is back but the Opening is awful especially the instrumental that sounds super compressed and Miguel has what sounds like an AutoTune on his voice, oh and the sound mixing is still as terrible as always :')

The new voices were a bit hit or miss but hearing this new Beerus a lot more than the movie is making me dislike the voice used, it sounds like a generic mob.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:33 pm

I just can't agree with the opening, while the mixing was off Raposo just sounds way more energetic than Feist I love it, would take that eco they put on his voice ( I love that little WOOOH he does right before the chorus kicks in).

As for Beerus I kind of agree, his voice is okay but Spínola was just so perfect as the character that it's almost unfair to compare them, although I'm sure Luís Lobão will do fine.

As for the rest, the script was fine, all the voices were good (except Quitela, wtf Quimbé you had it before why does it sound like you're covering your nose now?) the mixing was also fine in the episode and OMG GOKU SOUNDED SO GOOD IN JUST THE FEW MOMENTS HE APPEARED I'M SO HYPED FOR FRIDAY AND NEXT MONDAY!!!!

If Audio-In did half as good of a job with these last episodes as they're doing with the MHA dub I'll be happy.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:06 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:46 pm
Gafonso6 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:34 am Yes, the screenings were today in Lisbon and Porto.
Cool. Is there any link with the announcement?
Yeah, here.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:55 pm

Frankel is weird as Vegeta, his screams are great but he clearly needs to get used to the character, and I'm sure he will, it's also a matte of habit.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:51 am

Frankel needs to find his own Vegeta voice. He seems to be trying to emulate Loy's mannerisms (screaming his lines basically) and that's not doing wonders, considering that Loy's mannerisms were annoying even when Loy was doing them.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:13 pm

omegalucas wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:51 am Frankel needs to find his own Vegeta voice. He seems to be trying to emulate Loy's mannerisms (screaming his lines basically) and that's not doing wonders, considering that Loy's mannerisms were annoying even when Loy was doing them.
He's still doing what he was hired to do, just like every new actor except all of them had the movie to work it out and make the characters their own (just listen to the difference between Freeza at the start of the movie and at the end, same goes for Goku). I'd say that we wait until 111 to let Frankel start to get better, these are the episodes from his first day, when his mind was probably all about being Loy and not Vegeta, I'm sure he'll make the character his own because pretending to be Loy sure sounds like an exhausting job.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:15 pm

Just heard Simon's Vegeta for the first time and yeah, it's horrible. It's not only the performance, the voice just doesn't fit Vegeta. Worse than that only Victor Rocha's Vegeta.

Loy hearing this will just make his ego bigger, but honestly Simon is nowhere close to his level, unlike Miguel Raposo who can be arguably better than Feist.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:45 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:15 pm Just heard Simon's Vegeta for the first time and yeah, it's horrible. It's not only the performance, the voice just doesn't fit Vegeta. Worse than that only Victor Rocha's Vegeta.

Loy hearing this will just make his ego bigger, but honestly Simon is nowhere close to his level, unlike Miguel Raposo who can be arguably better than Feist.
I agree with this but only when compared to Loy's performance in Broly, I would take Frankel over Loy any other time (especially at the start of Super). I think many people believe Loy would keep his perfomance at Broly's level but I am 100% sure that wouldn't happen, he was already going back to his old ways on the last episodes he dubbed and he did say several time that he decided that he would only do a serious dub for the movie, so I'm a 100% sure he would return to being that annoying Loy we all know, and I'll take a voice that IMO is getting a lot better only 3 episodes in (which means after only around 2 hours of recording) to one that's been perfected over decades that says words like "Lindos" and "Meu" every 3 seconds.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:53 am

TheRed259 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:11 pm I found a video with the new voices:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKLz2mj_pI8

New Goku:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5aIVwVTqc8
Gohan is just as awful as before. Vegeta's not good. Goku's good. Roshi's just an old man without power. Piccolo is serviable.
I like Frost.
Dyspo I think nothing much of.

All in all it feels like a boring dub without little charisma.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:13 am

First time I've heard the new Vegeta and... ugh. It doesn't fit the character at all. There's no graveness and it's too high-pitched.