Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:24 am

Fair enough. Btw...
excelhedge wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:45 am Rail's hotel story seems fishy when Stan outright says he wasn't involved in it. despite her constantly saying he was.
That's not what Stan said. At least not from what I gathered from this...

https://twitter.com/IPCTechs/status/115 ... 28449?s=20

What he said was that he "didn't remember".

Remember, he asked Monica if she was ok, Monica said "yes" (not yet decided as to if Vic did anything wrong)... And that's it. If he took her at face value, he'd just think "ah, ok", and move on.

Not everyone's that observant, unfortunately :P .
Last edited by Fionordequester on Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:30 am

EXBadguy wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:51 am Luckily it's the internet and not real life. The internet's where the nobodies get to be the cool kid bullies they've always wanted to be.
this really isn't true and hasn't been true for a while. i know it's easy to brush off all internet stuff as just stupid and stuff that doesn't matter, and there's for sure some truth too that with a lot of the extremely petty online arguments. but it's pretty clear that the rise of the alt right and more open white supremacy, which has led to multiple mass shootings, is linked a ton to the internet, so it's really quite dangerous to write off all this stuff as just "oh just internet loser trolls", when they are actually killing people.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:39 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:30 am this really isn't true and hasn't been true for a while. i know it's easy to brush off all internet stuff as just stupid and stuff that doesn't matter, and there's for sure some truth too that with a lot of the extremely petty online arguments. but it's pretty clear that the rise of the alt right and more open white supremacy, which has led to multiple mass shootings, is linked a ton to the internet, so it's really quite dangerous to write off all this stuff as just "oh just internet loser trolls", when they are actually killing people.
...Nah. Human beings have been messed up from start to finish. The internet's not responsible for what we've become. It's just a reflection of what we've always been.

Believe it or not, we live in one of the most peaceful times in all of human history. Even the Holocaust pales in comparison to how many people USED to be killed in wars...
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:49 am

excelhedge wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:45 am Toye's full of it with his constant "I do not recall" crap. Honestly who going to believe he can't remember his twitter handle or the fact he made all those tweets
He’s not full of crap. He was just well prepared by his lawyer. He is saying I don’t recall but they look like my tweets but he should not 100% say no or yes because no one can absolutely remember all their tweets even if you say you can

Here is a thread which perfectly illustrates why Ron did the right thing

https://twitter.com/discriminatr114/sta ... 23553?s=21

https://twitter.com/thebrownfolder/stat ... 77440?s=21

https://twitter.com/discriminatr114/sta ... 03170?s=21

https://twitter.com/thebrownfolder/stat ... 06080?s=21

https://twitter.com/discriminatr114/sta ... 43909?s=21

And finally why Ron is exactly right to have said I don’t recall but it looks like my tweet

https://twitter.com/thebrownfolder/stat ... 26187?s=21
Last edited by Kinokima on Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

excelhedge
Beyond Newbie

Post by excelhedge » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:52 am

Fionordequester wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:24 am Fair enough. Btw...
excelhedge wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:45 am Rail's hotel story seems fishy when Stan outright says he wasn't involved in it. despite her constantly saying he was.
That's not what Stan said. At least not from what I gathered from this...

https://twitter.com/IPCTechs/status/115 ... 28449?s=20

What he said was that he "didn't remember".

Remember, he asked Monica if she was ok, Monica said "yes" (not yet decided as to if Vic did anything wrong)... And that's it. If he took her at face value, he'd just think "ah, ok", and move on.

Not everyone's that observant, unfortunately :P .
Fair enough, my mistake.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:59 am

excelhedge wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:52 am Fair enough, my mistake.
Not to worry, friend.

One thing I should also point out. This sort of answer is pretty common for those who've been prepared by their lawyer. You do what Vic does, and say "I don't know, maybe? I couldn't tell you", to anything that could make you look bad.

You don't have people calling you a liar for saying something happened that didn't, and no people calling you a crook for saying nothing went on that did.

Kind of like how you can argue a "fact", but can't argue an "opinion", you know?
Last edited by Fionordequester on Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:00 am

Fionordequester wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:39 am ...Nah. Human beings have been messed up from start to finish. The internet's not responsible for what we've become. It's just a reflection of what we've always been.
that's also not really what i said ? i'm not saying that the internet is the reason people are violent, i'm saying it's not accurate and straight up dangerous to act like the internet doesn't effect stuff, or that trolls online won't do something dangerous irl, because they have and they will continue to do so.
Believe it or not, we live in one of the most peaceful times in all of human history. Even the Holocaust pales in comparison to how many people USED to be killed in wars...
there has not been in a moment in my life where the U.S hasn't been involved in a war, and with the rise of fascism, it's only gonna get more and more strenuous for the countries and their people facing U.S imperialism. also ya know, all the concentration camps.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:41 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:30 am
EXBadguy wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:51 am Luckily it's the internet and not real life. The internet's where the nobodies get to be the cool kid bullies they've always wanted to be.
this really isn't true and hasn't been true for a while. i know it's easy to brush off all internet stuff as just stupid and stuff that doesn't matter, and there's for sure some truth too that with a lot of the extremely petty online arguments. but it's pretty clear that the rise of the alt right and more open white supremacy, which has led to multiple mass shootings, is linked a ton to the internet, so it's really quite dangerous to write off all this stuff as just "oh just internet loser trolls", when they are actually killing people.
Sure there are exceptions, but regarding this, I doubt these idiot trolls will come disrupt any of the conventions Rial participates in. The ones who make this an issue are at least 5% of the anime fanbase.

But yeah, you never know.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:18 am

Jamie Marchi's TCPA is up. Mike Dunford's giving it a combover here.
EXBadguy wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:41 am
Sure there are exceptions, but regarding this, I doubt these idiot trolls will come disrupt any of the conventions Rial participates in. The ones who make this an issue are at least 5% of the anime fanbase.

Actually, both Rial and Marchi's panels have been "interrupted" by crazy Vic peeps. There was also a recent incident involving a joint VA panel with Chris Sabat and some others.

Much as I agree with Soppa on how the current social media climate influences real world hate, I believe the online cultist fervor only spilled into con drama as far as Rial and co. go. I do know Dominique Skye and some other related individuals have been targeted by doxxing and whatnot, though.
Last edited by Mr.Saturn99 on Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:19 am

Edit: Double post, sorry.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:19 am

EXBadguy wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:41 am Sure there are exceptions, but regarding this, I doubt these idiot trolls will come disrupt any of the conventions Rial participates in. The ones who make this an issue are at least 5% of the anime fanbase.

Wasn't there an instance of someone bringing Vic up at a Q&A Rial had at a convention and he had to be taken away by security?
Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:18 am Actually, both Rial and Marchi's panels have been "interrupted" by crazy Vic peeps. There was also a recent incident involving a joint VA panel with Chris Sabat and some others.
Yes, those!

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:00 pm

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:18 am Jamie Marchi's TCPA is up. Mike Dunford's giving it a combover here.
EXBadguy wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:41 am

Actually, both Rial and Marchi's panels have been "interrupted" by crazy Vic peeps. There was also a recent incident involving a joint VA panel with Chris Sabat and some others.

Much as I agree with Soppa on how the current social media climate influences real world hate, I believe the online cultist fervor only spilled into con drama as far as Rial and co. go. I do know Dominique Skye and some other related individuals have been targeted by doxxing and whatnot, though.
Jesus. Guess you're right on that. But I do doubt that there will be an angry mob or a fight cuz again, only a tiny minority cares about the BS with Dicknogna. That's what I meant to say. But again, you never know.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:08 am

With the TCPA's arrival cooling down, I think it's imperative we discuss Chuck Huber.
I gotta say: the more I think about this, the more I'm not happy with it. In his attempt to play both sides, Huber's "solution" throws Rial and co. under the bus with victim-blaming rhetoric ("We've made it harder for real victims of sexual assault to speak out by speaking out about our own experiences") and downplaying of Vic's actions ("We've misunderstood and misstated Vic accusations as being criminal when he really just made inappropriate advances; granted, most involved minors, but hey!"), all the while rewarding Vic by giving back his roles under the assumption he'll address his "addiction". That he thought his proposal could coerce FUNi into dismissing their investigation/decision, let alone match money to a potential legal suit against them, is ridiculous.

Between this and his evident intimidation tactics ("You have the chance to walk gracefully"/"You will be on your own"), it's really not a good look. At best it displays an extreme naivete in how actions like this enable rape culture, but much as I hope he undertakes some deep reflection in his role here, it echoes far too much of the misogynist apologism excusing predators.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:27 am

Yeah, Huber has really fucked his reputation as far as I'm concerned. This dude used to be a school principal, for fuck's sake. I'm disgusted that this is how he approaches sexual assault and harassment. Fuck him.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:28 am

...Is it wrong that I'm still holding out hope for Huber? I mean, I MYSELF actually pulled the "you could be making it harder for real victims" card in a PM with VegettoEX, all the way back in February 1st...

...Though, that was in regards to him pre-emptively banning folks. Not so much just for being REALLY outspoken about wanting to defend the helpless and the weak. That much, I was always passionate about.

Still, I do wonder what side I would have ended up on if I hadn't had the privilege of hanging with you fine folks.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:46 am

My main 'hope' left in Huber is the fact that, again, apparently Vic helped him out when he was in a really dark place, so I'm hoping that his judgement is just really, really, really clouded by what a save that time was for him. I'm not defending what he's done, because holy shit Huber, why - but I'm hoping that there's still a chance for him to at least realize, once this is all said and done, that he backed the wrong horse and that he himself was in the wrong on this one, and can learn from it. Basically, I still have at least a little more faith left in him than I do Mignogna, who has basically torpedoed (repeatedly) any sympathy that anyone should be having for him.

Only time will tell though. And even if he does learn from it, yeah, the fact that he was once a Catholic school principal is pretty terrifying right now given how quick he is to jump to the 'let's just pretend it didn't happen that way' defense
Fionordequester wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:28 amStill, I do wonder what side I would have ended up on if I hadn't had the privilege of hanging with you fine folks.
I hear you on that. I wouldn't 100% put my own change on the issue to this forum (though this has been where I've been able to follow all of the updates the easiest, so it's still been a major factor in that), but this has been...for lack of a better term, one hell of a ride even just for me personally. I've said it before, but at the start of all of this, I was pro-Vic simply because it felt like it was just another one of those times where people were starting to accuse him again, seemingly for little reason. Nothing had ever come of it before, so really, what reason did I have to believe it this time? But while I still advocate for innocent until proven guilty in the majority of cases, this whole debacle has definitely taught me an incredibly important lesson on the old 'where there's smoke there's fire' scenario. Depressingly so, really.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:59 pm

I've been out of the loop for awhile on this and just recently caught up on everything as far as I know. One very disturbing trend I keep noticing again and again...

Seriously, why is everyone online in support of Vic and against Rial? Every youtube video, every message board, every comment I see, casts Vic as the victim and I literally don't see any support for Monica or Funimation whatsoever except for on this site and a few twitter posts here and there. It's like online support for Vic is 90 to 95% with the other 5% in support of Monica. It's very unsettling just how much public support is in favour of Vic despite all the evidence against him.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:39 pm

Sorry if I sound ignorant and I may have misread but need to clarify. Did they really give Vic his roles back?

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:44 pm

TVfan721 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:59 pm I've been out of the loop for awhile on this and just recently caught up on everything as far as I know. One very disturbing trend I keep noticing again and again...

Seriously, why is everyone online in support of Vic and against Rial? Every youtube video, every message board, every comment I see, casts Vic as the victim and I literally don't see any support for Monica or Funimation whatsoever except for on this site and a few twitter posts here and there. It's like online support for Vic is 90 to 95% with the other 5% in support of Monica. It's very unsettling just how much public support is in favour of Vic despite all the evidence against him.
Youtube is pretty much entirely in favor of Vic. Or at least, all the monetized channels are. In terms of communities, there are definitely #KickVic communities out there. Just, they're not as well-known.

EDIT: For what it's worth, the other main forum I frequent seems to be leaning KickVic. They haven't made a thread dedicated to him since January, but there are posts as late as May talking about what a bad dude he is (with of course, some people wanting more proof).
Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:39 pm Sorry if I sound ignorant and I may have misread but need to clarify. Did they really give Vic his roles back?
No, that's just an agreement Chuck drafted up in an attempt to appease both parties.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:24 pm

One of the most pathetic things that IStandWithVic people are saying is that they want the Funimation VA's to be replaced with the Ocean VA's or they can't watch the dub anymore because the VA's who are against Mignogna are assholes. I guess they haven't heard of the "Respect the actor's work, not the person" although the VA's against Mignogna are not even assholes to begin with.

A friend of mine who pretty much told me that he thinks Schemmel is irreplaceable as Goku even liked a video on Twitter that said that Kelamis was the best English Goku. While I still think he's good to have a conversation with, some of the stuff he's said and done baffle me just as much as his following of Blackface Lawyer and that moron BioZero216. I guess the reason why he hasn't unfollowed Zero is because they're long time friends and considering how Zero is, he'd probably feel betrayed.

Zero's easily one of the most pathetic Vic stans out there. He acts like all of this drama mentally affects him. I didn't pay much attention to him before 2016, but when it was revealed that Scott Freeman was arrested because of child pornography, he was apparently defending the guy, believing it was all lies.

Also, shame on Chuck Huber.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.