Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:32 pm

another unpopular opinion
some human warriors after saiyan arc or android arc should be dead?
and it's not that I do not like them but ... it seems an adequate alternative taking into account that they would not have greater participation ..

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:38 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:32 pm another unpopular opinion
and it's not that I do not like them but ... it seems an adequate alternative taking into account that they would not have greater participation ..
Why dead though? They could be written off without being killed off.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:11 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:38 pm
I do not like much that roshi is reduced only to a "gag" to fill spaces in Z but without any participation

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:29 pm

Muten Roshi is still useful in filling the wise old martial arts master role. He may not have the strength anymore, but he has the knowledge and credibility within the world and with the audience.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:48 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:11 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:38 pm
I do not like much that roshi is reduced only to a "gag" to fill spaces in Z but without any participation
That doesn’t answer my question.

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Omniboy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:59 am

I like the action and fights in the 3rd Broly movie the most out of all of his other movies... including the new one.

Although I do like all of his movies.

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:37 am

I hope 2uper never happens. Or, failing that, Super comes back as a series of movies instead of a TV series.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:23 pm

DanielSSJ wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:37 am I hope 2uper never happens. Or, failing that, Super comes back as a series of movies instead of a TV series.
100% agree with this. If DBS2 never comes out I’d be very happy.

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:55 pm

Why not just give them something to do then?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:24 pm

The Great Saiyaman starts off as a fun one note joke, but quickly becomes boring.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:47 pm

too be fair in the manga, it really is just a couple chapters or so thing. it's just his initial appearance and than the next time videl figures him out and than that's pretty much it. i can't comment on the anime, but i do imagine that they expend on it there.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:45 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:47 pm too be fair in the manga, it really is just a couple chapters or so thing. it's just his initial appearance and than the next time videl figures him out and than that's pretty much it. i can't comment on the anime, but i do imagine that they expend on it there.
I like the Great Saiyaman stuff with Gohan well enough, it's really quite brief in the manga IIRC before we get to the 25th Budokai and the start of Majin Buu and in Z it's expanded there a little more. And really, the filler bits with him feels better and more fitting when compared to some of the other 100% filler like the Garlic Jr arc and some others that are anime only and not based upon manga material.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:07 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:45 pm
Soppa Saia People wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:47 pm too be fair in the manga, it really is just a couple chapters or so thing. it's just his initial appearance and than the next time videl figures him out and than that's pretty much it. i can't comment on the anime, but i do imagine that they expend on it there.
I like the Great Saiyaman stuff with Gohan well enough, it's really quite brief in the manga IIRC before we get to the 25th Budokai and the start of Majin Buu and in Z it's expanded there a little more. And really, the filler bits with him feels better and more fitting when compared to some of the other 100% filler like the Garlic Jr arc and some others that are anime only and not based upon manga material.
yeah, i'm actually watching Z the anime all the way through this year (just finished the freeza arc today lol), i'm really looking forward too more of that stuff, a long with if it expands anything with the androids before cell shows up. i know most people dislike filler in Z but it's really interesting too see what's different, and what the anime staff chose too show more of. plus i'm seeing most of this stuff for the first time, so it's a little charming.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:28 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:07 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:45 pm
yeah, i'm actually watching Z the anime all the way through this year (just finished the freeza arc today lol), i'm really looking forward too more of that stuff, a long with if it expands anything with the androids before cell shows up. i know most people dislike filler in Z but it's really interesting too see what's different, and what the anime staff chose too show more of. plus i'm seeing most of this stuff for the first time, so it's a little charming.
Indeed, there are parts of filler in the show be it small scenes or whole stretches of episodes which i actually like as stated with the aforementioned and the Anoyo-ichi Budokai aka Afterlife Tournament, and even things from the original DB such as the training mini arc with Goku prior to the 22nd Tournament including the episode with the reference to Journey to the West and the two demons. Those at least to me feel like they compliment the canon manga based arcs in which they surround unlike some of the other pure filler material in both series (i.e. Garlic Jr, Princess Snake.etc) which just don't fit in well or add to the story overall like the previous named do.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:43 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:28 pm Indeed, there are parts of filler in the show be it small scenes or whole stretches of episodes which i actually like as stated with the aforementioned and the Anoyo-ichi Budokai aka Afterlife Tournament, and even things from the original DB such as the training mini arc with Goku prior to the 22nd Tournament including the episode with the reference to Journey to the West and the two demons.
yeah, besides like, yamucha and tambourine and some minor stuff, i think most of the original dragon ball filler is aces.
Those at least to me feel like they compliment the canon manga based arcs in which they surround unlike some of the other pure filler material in both series (i.e. Garlic Jr, Princess Snake.etc) which just don't fit in well or add to the story overall like the previous named do.
i'm a big fan of all the saiyan arcs filler, and yeah well princess snake's episode is definitely the most fluffy of them all, i do like it a lot and it does add a bit too the after life's/serpentine road's mystique i think.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:57 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:43 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:28 pm Indeed, there are parts of filler in the show be it small scenes or whole stretches of episodes which i actually like as stated with the aforementioned and the Anoyo-ichi Budokai aka Afterlife Tournament, and even things from the original DB such as the training mini arc with Goku prior to the 22nd Tournament including the episode with the reference to Journey to the West and the two demons.
yeah, besides like, yamucha and tambourine and some minor stuff, i think most of the original dragon ball filler is aces.
Those at least to me feel like they compliment the canon manga based arcs in which they surround unlike some of the other pure filler material in both series (i.e. Garlic Jr, Princess Snake.etc) which just don't fit in well or add to the story overall like the previous named do.
i'm a big fan of all the saiyan arcs filler, and yeah well princess snake's episode is definitely the most fluffy of them all, i do like it a lot and it does add a bit too the after life's/serpentine road's mystique i think.
I mean it's a "you're mileage may vary" in my case and much of those fillers from the Saiyan arc just never really have interested me much overall story wise, though with that said i do like some of the stuff they did for the show such as expanding upon Gohan's wilderness training during that year prior to Vegeta and Nappa's arrival which is only very briefly glimpsed at in the manga.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:29 am

I like the filler with the DB/Z B-team. The Pendulum Room episode is dark and atmospheric. I can't recall if they are sent to Planet Vegeta or if that's from the dub. Regardless, the war-torn planet they are sent to looks a lot more like what I imagine Vegeta would look like as opposed to the technologically advanced planet it's shown to be in other stories. They're a race of warmongers, why would it be more advanced than Earth?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:02 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:29 am I like the filler with the DB/Z B-team. The Pendulum Room episode is dark and atmospheric. I can't recall if they are sent to Planet Vegeta or if that's from the dub. Regardless, the war-torn planet they are sent to looks a lot more like what I imagine Vegeta would look like as opposed to the technologically advanced planet it's shown to be in other stories. They're a race of warmongers, why would it be more advanced than Earth?
The latest movie did establish that the Saiyans were apparently already in the business of conquering and selling planets before King Cold and Freeza came along, so I guess that has something to do with it. I myself am not fond of that idea either. I always preferred to think that the Saiyans were these primitive beings that Freeza managed to exploit.

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:07 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:43 pm

I have a soft spot for Gohan with the Capsule Corp robot because it helped with his character development into becoming more independent.
Last edited by Karrit on Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:10 am

that's actually probably my favorite filler episode of the saiyan saga lol.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸