FYE Announces Dragon Ball Z Orange Brick "Collector's" Box Set

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: FYE Announces Dragon Ball Z Orange Brick "Collector's" Box Set

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:29 pm

The Dragon Boxes weren't a mass release and the level sets were discontinued after only a few volumes. The Blu Rays are the only release you mentioned that got a full mass release.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:28 pm

SqueakyBoots wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:49 pm I am appalled that these sets haven't been put out of print yet.
Personally I think it's because DVDs are still the easiest, most-accessible physical video format today, particularly if you want to play it on a computer. I'd imagine this is a relevant situation in places like Mexico where DBZ is HUGE, but I imagine Blu-Ray players aren't as accessible.

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:13 pm

Kuwabara wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:06 pm Kai isn't,

"MYYYYY CHILDHOOOODDDDD!!!!!"

for the type of audience that would drop that kind of money, and the casual US fan also thinks Kai is the sissy kiddie version of DBZ. It's an impulse buy for people that don't know any better.
Well I mean... Kai is what people have been watching on Adult Swim for the past almost five years now. It's still airing on Saturday nights before the Toonami block so it obviously has a viewership. Plus the people who grew up watching it on Nicktoons who are likely in their late teens, early 20s now. (Yes, it's been that long.) And "people that don't know any better" won't know the difference because they just see a box with Goku on it. The "Not my childhood!" audience are people that have been longtime fans who probably already own a release of the series and are probably aware of the issues the orange bricks have and wouldn't be getting this set anyway.
KBABZ wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:28 pm Personally I think it's because DVDs are still the easiest, most-accessible physical video format today, particularly if you want to play it on a computer. I'd imagine this is a relevant situation in places like Mexico where DBZ is HUGE, but I imagine Blu-Ray players aren't as accessible.
Blu-ray players are very accessible. It's just that people have either moved on to streaming services or continue to buy dvds anyway because they are cheaper and still being made. (And if you're the type of person that primarily watches dvds because they're cheaper, then you probably wouldn't buy a $240 boxset.) Mexico shouldn't be playing a factor in this situation because FYE doesn't have any locations in Mexico nor do they ship there.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:02 pm

Not to mention, no Latino Spanish dub in these sets.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Android 50
Beyond Newbie

Post by Android 50 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:40 pm

I don't have any of the blue bricks and the box set for all the volumes looks really, really tempting but that price tag has me hesitant yet again. its a shame too because the box looks really nice.

If it was 60-70 dollars less I'd have jumped on it.
Maron is stacked!!

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:54 pm

Am i missing something here, because why would anyone buy this? I was under the impression that the issues with these were well documented.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:50 pm

VDenter wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:54 pm Am i missing something here, because why would anyone buy this? I was under the impression that the issues with these were well documented.
Well to be fair there have been "documented issues" with practically every Dragon Ball release since the Orange Bricks that haven't stopped rampant sales. Heck look at the Black Bricks! (the 30th Blu-Ray release)

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:45 am

VDenter wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:54 pm Am i missing something here, because why would anyone buy this? I was under the impression that the issues with these were well documented.
Orange bricks are shit, but the blue bricks while not amazing are a very passable release. Frankly if Z was done like the blue bricks instead ten years back, things wouldn’t be so bad.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:43 am

Char Aznable wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:45 am
Orange bricks are shit, but the blue bricks while not amazing are a very passable release. Frankly if Z was done like the blue bricks instead ten years back, things wouldn’t be so bad.
The blue bricks aren’t much better. The over saturated colors are a damn eye sore

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:57 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:43 am The blue bricks aren’t much better. The over saturated colors are a damn eye sore
IMO the fact that they're release in 4:3 AND the dub track has always had Kikuchi's score (1995 aside) automatically puts it at least one league ahead of the Orange Bricks (not to mention it doesn't suffer from the over exposure of the first few OBs). I also happen to disagree with you regarding it having over-saturated colours; IMO the Blue Bricks suffer from a distinct under-saturation problem, particularly in the greens.

(Blue Brick is on the right)

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:12 pm

I have the Orange Bricks already so this is a skip for me. I know they're not the best release, far from it, but they're perfectly fine for me. I wouldnt want to spend a lot of money on another release of the same series anyway (unless it was something the Level Sets)

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:25 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:57 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:43 am The blue bricks aren’t much better. The over saturated colors are a damn eye sore
IMO the fact that they're release in 4:3 AND the dub track has always had Kikuchi's score (1995 aside) automatically puts it at least one league ahead of the Orange Bricks (not to mention it doesn't suffer from the over exposure of the first few OBs). I also happen to disagree with you regarding it having over-saturated colours; IMO the Blue Bricks suffer from a distinct under-saturation problem, particularly in the greens.

(Blue Brick is on the right)

Hang on a minute, I have some orange bricks (and planning to buy the full US set due to packaging, but not this box because it doesn´t have a GT box plus it´s too expensive) and they do feature english dub with original japanese score, which is my preferred way of viewing the series.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:52 pm

anubisj wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:25 pm Hang on a minute, I have some orange bricks (and planning to buy the full US set due to packaging, but not this box because it doesn´t have a GT box plus it´s too expensive) and they do feature english dub with original japanese score, which is my preferred way of viewing the series.
Poor inclusion there on my part, and horribly worded at that too. What I was meaning was that I felt that Dragon Ball's use of only Kikuchi for that Funimation dub meant it was superior to Z in that regard which went through several replacement scores, but it occurs to me now that that's really a complaint for the production of that dub rather than of the Bricks themselves.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:26 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:52 pm
anubisj wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:25 pm Hang on a minute, I have some orange bricks (and planning to buy the full US set due to packaging, but not this box because it doesn´t have a GT box plus it´s too expensive) and they do feature english dub with original japanese score, which is my preferred way of viewing the series.
Poor inclusion there on my part, and horribly worded at that too. What I was meaning was that I felt that Dragon Ball's use of only Kikuchi for that Funimation dub meant it was superior to Z in that regard which went through several replacement scores, but it occurs to me now that that's really a complaint for the production of that dub rather than of the Bricks themselves.
That's what i really like about FUNi's 2001 dub of DB, in that unlike Z and GT it had Shunsuke Kikuchi's original score properly intact save for the missing insert songs. It's an outlier in their early Dragon Ball dub work (aside from the 1995 dub of episodes 1-13) though that may be because they figured it wasn't actually worth doing a replacement TV broadcast score for Dragon Ball unlike the other two series.

Edit: I just remembered that GT was scored by Akhito Tokunaga, not Kikuchi. Just a little mistake there.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:46 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:26 pm That's what i really like about FUNi's 2001 dub of DB, in that [SNIP] it had Shunsuke Kikuchi's original score properly intact save for the missing insert songs. It's an outlier (aside from the 1995 dub of episodes 1-13) though that may be because they figured it wasn't actually worth doing a replacement TV broadcast score for Dragon Ball unlike the other two series.
Yeah. The missing insert songs are odd, I feel they're removed either to let the narrator take over (and I love the Dragon Ball narrator, but it isn't accurate) or for creative reasons like at the 21st and 22nd TBs.

Personally, I feel that Dragon Ball's lack of a replacement score on the second dub attempt, as well as having no widescreen crop, to me is part of the "it won't sell so it's not worth dressing up" effect that I've discussed before. DBZ is Funimation's prime money maker, so it would behoove them to try and make it even more marketable to their audience to make more money (AND BOY HOWDY DID THAT WORK FOR THEM). Dragon Ball meanwhile is more niche, so it's not worth dressing up because the return on investment is much more minimal.

Nowadays they thankfully don't have to spend money replacing music and stuff, so they can settle in being a dub house with the occasional awful remaster.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:53 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:46 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:26 pm That's what i really like about FUNi's 2001 dub of DB, in that [SNIP] it had Shunsuke Kikuchi's original score properly intact save for the missing insert songs. It's an outlier (aside from the 1995 dub of episodes 1-13) though that may be because they figured it wasn't actually worth doing a replacement TV broadcast score for Dragon Ball unlike the other two series.
Yeah. The missing insert songs are odd, I feel they're removed either to let the narrator take over (and I love the Dragon Ball narrator, but it isn't accurate) or for creative reasons like at the 21st and 22nd TBs.

Personally, I feel that Dragon Ball's lack of a replacement score on the second dub attempt, as well as having no widescreen crop, to me is part of the "it won't sell so it's not worth dressing up" effect that I've discussed before. DBZ is Funimation's prime money maker, so it would behoove them to try and make it even more marketable to their audience to make more money (AND BOY HOWDY DID THAT WORK FOR THEM). Dragon Ball meanwhile is more niche, so it's not worth dressing up because the return on investment is much more minimal.

Nowadays they thankfully don't have to spend money replacing music and stuff, so they can settle in being a dub house with the occasional awful remaster.
Not surprising really, considering how they have always heavily pushed Z above the other two series and how heavily they went with trying to market it toward the preteen audience at the time. This of course includes such things as the terrible jokes and endless dialogue during otherwise silent moments in scripts, and the replacement scores in an effort to pander to that particular audience watching the show on Toonami and when it came to the original series they likely saw the show wouldn't fit that practice (aside from 1995's dub of 1-13) so they didn't even bother with going through it as they'd done with Z and later GT.

Also on the part about the narrator i really liked Brice Armstrong's take in the same way as Doc Morgan on Kai, it really fits and is a much closer approximation to Joji Yanami's wise, sage like voice when compared to the over the top WWF/monster truck like deliveries that Dale Kelly and to a lesser extent Kyle Herbert was with their own respective versions in Z.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:30 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:53 pm Also on the part about the narrator i really liked Brice Armstrong's take in the same way as Doc Morgan on Kai, it really fits and is a much closer approximation to Joji Yanami's wise, sage like voice when compared to the over the top WWF/monster truck like deliveries that Dale Kelly and to a lesser extent Kyle Herbert was with their own respective versions in Z.
Yeah! It really fits the tone of the show quite well. I know from Kunzait that Kikuchi is a VERY adaptable composer considering the number of genres he's composed for, but IMO of his collective work across DB and Z, I feel like the DB music fits a lot better than Z's does for that show. Then again, I've only been exposed to the ultra-repetitive Kikuchi Kai when it comes to that stuff, so I'm nooooot exactly well-informed!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:38 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:30 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:53 pm Also on the part about the narrator i really liked Brice Armstrong's take in the same way as Doc Morgan on Kai, it really fits and is a much closer approximation to Joji Yanami's wise, sage like voice when compared to the over the top WWF/monster truck like deliveries that Dale Kelly and to a lesser extent Kyle Herbert was with their own respective versions in Z.
Yeah! It really fits the tone of the show quite well. I know from Kunzait that Kikuchi is a VERY adaptable composer considering the number of genres he's composed for, but IMO of his collective work across DB and Z, I feel like the DB music fits a lot better than Z's does for that show. Then again, I've only been exposed to the ultra-repetitive Kikuchi Kai when it comes to that stuff, so I'm nooooot exactly well-informed!

Kikuchi Kai is a horrible sampling of Kikuchi’s music in Z. The Kikuchi score fits Z perfectly and feels like a proper continuation to the original Dragon Ball.

Kikuchi’s music in Kai was severely limited and badly placed its hardly indicative of anything.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:44 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:38 pm

Kikuchi Kai is a horrible sampling of Kikuchi’s music in Z. The Kikuchi score fits Z perfectly and feels like a proper continuation to the original Dragon Ball.

Kikuchi’s music in Kai was severely limited and badly placed its hardly indicative of anything.
Yeah, i think Kenji Yamamoto's score fits Kai much better than the Kikuchi replacement version, but unfortunately the scanda involving said score hit right in the middle of the series being released here so we didn't get it for nearly as long as the Fuji broadcast.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:49 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:44 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:38 pm

Yeah, i think Yamamoto's score fits Kai much better than the Kikuchi replacement, but unfortunately the scandal hit right in the middle of it being released here so we didn't get it as long as the Fuji broadcast.
The problem with the Yamamoto music (besides plagiarism obviously) was how repetitive it was. They had like....a single track for sad music? (Mournful woman wailing) compare Goku asking Kuririn to spare Vegeta in Z where the “The Battle is won” music from Return my Gohan!” is used to the scene in Kai where the “mournful woman wails” music in Kai which was also used when Goku dies and when Vegeta dies and when Guru dies and etc etc