Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kinokima
I Live Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Kinokima » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:27 pm

Just saw someone on twitter say they want to burn Funimation to the ground. This after what happened with Kyoani in Japan

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:28 pm

Kinokima wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:27 pm Just saw someone on twitter say they want to burn Funimation to the ground. This after what happened with Kyoani in Japan
Where's that, now? I've a twitter friend who's been trying to be a voice of moderation for both sides since this started. He's also passionate about suppoting Kyoani, so he'd absolutely have a few choice words for him.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:31 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:28 pm
Kinokima wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:27 pm Just saw someone on twitter say they want to burn Funimation to the ground. This after what happened with Kyoani in Japan
Where's that, now? I've a twitter friend who's been trying to be a voice of moderation for both sides since this started. He's also passionate about suppoting Kyoani, so he'd absolutely have a few choice words for him.

This is the tweet https://twitter.com/davidol24221593/sta ... 43586?s=21

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:51 pm

Hopefully Huber will realize his mistake for trying to be in the middle of the BS. Shoulda stayed out of this. I liked his work with 17 and Hiei from YYH. He'd better not ruin his reputation
Kinokima wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:31 pm

This is the tweet https://twitter.com/davidol24221593/sta ... 43586?s=21
Whoever this person is, they need to be arrested!
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:52 pm

Appalling as some things are, once again we will ask that you refrain from making “I saw a random completely irrelevant non-authority person say a thing on Twitter/Reddit/some other random forum” posts.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:53 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:24 pm One of the most pathetic things that IStandWithVic people are saying is that they want the Funimation VA's to be replaced with the Ocean VA's or they can't watch the dub anymore because the VA's who are against Mignogna are assholes. I guess they haven't heard of the "Respect the actor's work, not the person" although the VA's against Mignogna are not even assholes to begin with.
I've seen that sentiment floating around too. I've seen people state, in all seriousness, that replacing Vic as Broly is going to 'destroy' the franchise, while in the same breath calling for FUNimation to boot Rial, Schemmel, and even Sabat when they 'bring Vic back in'. As in, they'd find the loss of Bulma, Goku, King Kai, Vegeta, Piccolo, Yamcha, Shenron, and a ton of others in the case of Sabat, to be far less of a change than a new Broly. I...can't even begin to fathom the thought process that goes into this opinion.
Kinokima wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:31 pm This is the tweet https://twitter.com/davidol24221593/sta ... 43586?s=21
Normally I'd say not to give this sort of guy any attention, but given recent events, FUNi may want to make sure their facilities have appropriate security.

Honestly, I'm still super worried something's eventually going to happen at a con due to how insanely this has all blown up. Even something happening to Vic at a con he somehow manages to get invited to would be bad because it would only serve as an even worse rallying cry for his supporters and their ilk, and the thought of something happening to any of the VA's who have come out against Vic makes me almost sick to even think about. The thought just feels all the more scarily real to me due to a recent tragedy in my own town.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:34 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:52 pm Appalling as some things are, once again we will ask that you refrain from making “I saw a random completely irrelevant non-authority person say a thing on Twitter/Reddit/some other random forum” posts.
There is nothing irrelevant about a threat to burn down Funimation but okay

At the very least pointing it out can get more people to report the tweet to Twitter.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:38 pm

Mic "I abuse the favors my friends owe me" Vignogna, proving yet again he's a monster.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:48 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:24 pm One of the most pathetic things that IStandWithVic people are saying is that they want the Funimation VA's to be replaced with the Ocean VA's or they can't watch the dub anymore because the VA's who are against Mignogna are assholes. I guess they haven't heard of the "Respect the actor's work, not the person" although the VA's against Mignogna are not even assholes to begin with.
Don't forget their demands for Tiffany Vollmer to replace Rial as Bulma. (Didn't she move?)
TVfan721 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:59 pm I've been out of the loop for awhile on this and just recently caught up on everything as far as I know. One very disturbing trend I keep noticing again and again...

Seriously, why is everyone online in support of Vic and against Rial? Every youtube video, every message board, every comment I see, casts Vic as the victim and I literally don't see any support for Monica or Funimation whatsoever except for on this site and a few twitter posts here and there. It's like online support for Vic is 90 to 95% with the other 5% in support of Monica. It's very unsettling just how much public support is in favour of Vic despite all the evidence against him.
That's the power of alt-right propaganda for you, although it's indeed unsettling how one can't simply look up this fiasco without running into blatant disinformation. As far as I know, aside from here ResetERA and Pretty Ugly Liars are only the non-toxic avenues involving relevant discussion.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:06 pm

Kinokima wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:34 pm
VegettoEX wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:52 pm Appalling as some things are, once again we will ask that you refrain from making “I saw a random completely irrelevant non-authority person say a thing on Twitter/Reddit/some other random forum” posts.
There is nothing irrelevant about a threat to burn down Funimation but okay

At the very least pointing it out can get more people to report the tweet to Twitter.
The fact that it's merely a "tweet" is why no one should take it serious. Someone tweeting with that many grammatical/spelling errors is not capable of planning any attacks. Trust me.

Twitter is open season with nonsensical tweets. If you take them all to heart you'd go crazy. No need to fret imo.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:38 pm

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:48 pm
That's the power of alt-right propaganda for you, although it's indeed unsettling how one can't simply look up this fiasco without running into blatant disinformation. As far as I know, aside from here ResetERA and Pretty Ugly Liars are only the non-toxic avenues involving relevant discussion.
ANN's comment sections (and probably their forums too) have been okay, as far as I've seen.

Oh, and I guess the topic has floated around SSMB a few times (which thankfully cultivates it's community to exclude reactionary assholes), but it's only tangentially related so not a lot of big discussion goes on there.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:03 pm

Shaddy wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:38 pm
Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:48 pm
ANN's comment sections (and probably their forums too) have been okay, as far as I've seen.

Oh, and I guess the topic has floated around SSMB a few times (which thankfully cultivates it's community to exclude reactionary assholes), but it's only tangentially related so not a lot of big discussion goes on there.
ANN Forums has their fair sure of Vic supporters/Rekieta and Beard apologists and that shit can get brutal ("Oh Beard's professionality when telling a journalist they'll be in touch is just subjective!!"), although thankfully the mods keep a close eye and sweep up when necessary. Bless their hearts.
Last edited by Mr.Saturn99 on Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:03 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:38 pm Mic "I abuse the favors my friends owe me" Vignogna, proving yet again he's a monster.
What did he do recently?

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:03 pm

I have not taken sides in this since January/February, but I do support the side that Vic may be guilty. My opinions are also based on stories I heard from the past. Back in February I was very distressed by the rift and negativity. I confided with Sonny about how I was feeling. He understands people want to support voice actors, including Vic, but that does not give anyone the right to be downright nasty. That and sometimes you have to let things pass. That being said, I never bought into Nick Rekieta or the Youtubers from the beginning. It may be that I am desensitized to yellow journalism since I was a media major. I have watches some of their videos, but I am baffled how so many people it it up as gospel truth when all I hear is sensationalized and often downright preposterous claims.

One other thing I have is when a fan tries to post something positive, someone feels like it is their sworn duty to hijack it with anything pertaining to Vic Mignogna. I had that happen to me last week. My town has an art festival every year. I participate in the Italian Street Painting annually, which is drawing on sidewalk with pastel chalk. This year I drew Goku relaxing in a hot spring with Japanese snow monkeys to celebrate the 30th and 29th anniversaries of Dragon Ball Z. I snapped some photos and decided to share it on my Twitter feed, which I purposely try to only post positive stuff. Monica Rial gave me a compliment, and sure enough some IStanders were quick to pounce. I asked them to not post their beef on my tweet. Most backed off, but one person wouldn't stop, so I was forced to block him/her. it really grinds my gears that they think just because Rial or someone comments on a tweet, that gives them permission to post anything pertaining to Vic whether it's appropriate or not.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:16 am

Vic has pretty much admitted he's guilty at this point, hasn't he?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:38 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:16 am Vic has pretty much admitted he's guilty at this point, hasn't he?
Legally I think yes. From what it looks like to me he seems more adamant on being truthful than trying to win his own case, which is of course how one should do it, but aside from making you question "well why did he file suit in the first place??" it's driving his legal team not just up the wall, but all the way up Korin's Tower at this point.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:39 am

KBABZ wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:38 am Legally I think yes. From what it looks like to me he seems more adamant on being truthful than trying to win his own case, which is of course how one should do it, but aside from making you question "well why did he file suit in the first place??" it's driving his legal team not just up the wall, but all the way up Korin's Tower at this point.
...I'll say this, though. I do respect him more than I did before the depositions. I'm glad he's torpedoing his depositions, and glad that he's honest enough to do so.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:57 am

Fionordequester wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:39 am ...I'll say this, though. I do respect him more than I did before the depositions. I'm glad he's torpedoing his depositions, and glad that he's honest enough to do so.
I get where your coming from for sure, but for me it remains unchanged. Vic is still culpable, but it feels like he's blissfully unaware of the consequences of his actions, hence why he kept saying he would change his behaviour and yet never actually did and coasted along as normal.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:07 am

I don't see what about the depositions would make anything about Vic seem better. After the repeated attempts to not explicitly state the things that definitely happened happened, he almost always goes right for an incredibly immature justification of supposed consent or "non-sexual" behavior (that's probably also not true, but harder to directly show), further showing that no matter what happens to him he refuses to find fault in his own behavior. I've joked but I honestly am waiting for the ol' "technically it's hebephilia" response.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:12 am

KBABZ wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:57 am I get where your coming from for sure, but for me it remains unchanged. Vic is still culpable, but it feels like he's blissfully unaware of the consequences of his actions, hence why he kept saying he would change his behaviour and yet never actually did and coasted along as normal.
Well, I mean, "better" in the sense that at least I can think of him as "stupid" instead of "evil". What you said there is EXACTLY what I believe is the case...
Shaddy wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:07 am After the repeated attempts to not explicitly state the things that definitely happened happened, he almost always goes right for an incredibly immature justification of supposed consent or "non-sexual" behavior (that's probably also not true, but harder to directly show), further showing that no matter what happens to him he refuses to find fault in his own behavior...
As is this. Hence, why I'm still dead set against #IStandWithVic. It's unfortunate Vic is the way he is, and I'll certainly pray he gets the help he needs... But his victims shouldn't have to pay for his shortcomings.