What happened to Oob?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rory
I Live Here

Re: What happened to Oob?

Post by Rory » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:44 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: ↑Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:05 am i still think the start of the boo arc is some of the best stuff in all of Z, and probably the funniest stuff toriyama wrote after the red ribbon arc (though i do think gotenks vs super boo is funnier), so i really wish toriyama felt better about that stuff lol.
Yup, Gohan in school/being a part-time super hero, it genuinely felt like a fun, even inspired direction to take the series.
Even the filler was great. Having things head back to a world tournament felt really exciting too. My view of the series is constantly changing, but right now I'd say the early Boo arc stuff is comes real close to the Saiyan arc and the first half of the Freeza arc in terms of quality.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:21 pm

It's not a great direction for the story. At best it's a fun prelude, but it's too inconsequential to be Dragon Ball. There are zero stakes. I think that part of the story is COMPLETELY overrated and shows what the show is without Goku, it's not nearly as interesting.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:57 pm

i mean, it's not just the gohan and great saiyaman stuff i like in the early Boo arc. i love the tournament stuff, it has such a classic feel too it, and all the stuff with Satan and #18 is gold. Vegeta, Gohan and Goku working together in the spaceship is also great, and i wish it lasted longer, especially because i think Majin vegeta is kinda dumb, and than all the stuff with Satan and Boo is some of the best character stuff Toriyama has done, i think. it's really impressive how Toriyama turned him from just a 1 note gag to a really interesting character.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

πŸ‡΅πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΅πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΅πŸ‡Έ

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:59 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: ↑Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:57 pm i mean, it's not just the gohan and great saiyaman stuff i like in the early Boo arc. i love the tournament stuff, it has such a classic feel too it, and all the stuff with Satan and #18 is gold. Vegeta, Gohan and Goku working together in the spaceship is also great, and i wish it lasted longer, especially because i think Majin vegeta is kinda dumb, and than all the stuff with Satan and Boo is some of the best character stuff Toriyama has done, i think. it's really impressive how Toriyama turned him from just a 1 note gag to a really interesting character.
The Great Saiyaman stuff is great but Majin Vegeta is the dumb stuff?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:07 pm

Rory wrote: ↑Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:44 pm
Soppa Saia People wrote: ↑Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:05 am i still think the start of the boo arc is some of the best stuff in all of Z, and probably the funniest stuff toriyama wrote after the red ribbon arc (though i do think gotenks vs super boo is funnier), so i really wish toriyama felt better about that stuff lol.
Yup, Gohan in school/being a part-time super hero, it genuinely felt like a fun, even inspired direction to take the series.
Even the filler was great. Having things head back to a world tournament felt really exciting too. My view of the series is constantly changing, but right now I'd say the early Boo arc stuff is comes real close to the Saiyan arc and the first half of the Freeza arc in terms of quality.
I'm not Gohan fan...even foud his pacifist act @ Cell Games to be redundant...and yet...thoroughly enjoyed his Great Saiyaman stuff, high school life, romance with Videl etc. Its as if dude finally found himself his own identity...instead of relyin on Piccolo or Goku

Not everthing needs to be @ stake for plot to be entertaining. 21st TB Arc for instance. Or even Greed Island Arc frm HXH2011. Some things are just so damn entertaining & fun dat it should be viewed as it is. Takeit or leave it

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:15 pm

Vijay wrote: ↑Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:07 pm
I'm not Gohan fan...even foud his pacifist act @ Cell Games to be redundant...and yet...thoroughly enjoyed his Great Saiyaman stuff, high school life, romance with Videl etc. Its as if dude finally found himself his own identity...instead of relyin on Piccolo or Goku

Not everthing needs to be @ stake for plot to be entertaining. 21st TB Arc for instance. Or even Greed Island Arc frm HXH2011. Some things are just so damn entertaining & fun dat it should be viewed as it is. Takeit or leave it
I didn't say everything needs to be at stake, but there do need to be SOME stakes. There was action and the tournament championship was at stake. What stakes were there with Gohan in high school? None. No villain could've even hurt him. If people found out who he was, what are they going to do?

Some things are entertaining, but jokes have a shelf life, and the Great Saiyaman was a short one.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:17 pm

ABED wrote: ↑Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:59 pm The Great Saiyaman stuff is great but Majin Vegeta is the dumb stuff?
it just doesn't do anything for me. i think his reasoning is stupid and just so whiney, and just adds even more too why any of the character's should ever trust vegeta. his hug with trunks and blowing himself up is a great scene though, but the rest, just not a fan.

it's just kinda everything i dislike about the character.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

πŸ‡΅πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΅πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΅πŸ‡Έ

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:30 pm

ABED wrote: ↑Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:15 pm

I didn't say everything needs to be at stake, but there do need to be SOME stakes. There was action and the tournament championship was at stake. What stakes were there with Gohan in high school? None. No villain could've even hurt him. If people found out who he was, what are they going to do?

Some things are entertaining, but jokes have a shelf life, and the Great Saiyaman was a short one.
U asked for stake. Here

Gohan's identity as Golden Warrior was at stake.
His high-school life was at stake
Him leading regular ningen life was at stake when teaching Videl bukujutsu
Fighting off criminals (some rofl moments) without Videl finding it out was somewhat...a stake. Since dats what you wanted

@ Soppa Saia People

Majin Vegeta was one of the most entertaining incarnation of Veggie. I dunno abt ya...but most fans have waited aeons for their rematch & boy did it deliver.

Perhaps u watched Dubbed version as he came off more pathetic & whiney. While in original Jap version, dude came off lookin imposing & threatening.

Besides, just abt anything with Veggie around makes for an entertaining watch imo

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:49 pm

Vijay wrote: ↑Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:30 pm
ABED wrote: ↑Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:15 pm

U asked for stake. Here

Fighting off criminals (some rofl moments) without Videl finding it out was somewhat...a stake. Since dats what you wanted

@ Soppa Saia People

Majin Vegeta was one of the most entertaining incarnation of Veggie. I dunno abt ya...but most fans have waited aeons for their rematch & boy did it deliver.

Perhaps u watched Dubbed version as he came off more pathetic & whiney. While in original Jap version, dude came off lookin imposing & threatening.

Besides, just abt anything with Veggie around makes for an entertaining watch imo
First, it's JPN, not Jap.

And none of those things are stakes. I covered this. If anyone found out his identity, his life would be mildly inconvenienced. Fighting off criminals wasn't a stake as they couldn't even touch him much less hurt him.

And why do you write "dat" and not "that"?
it just doesn't do anything for me. i think his reasoning is stupid
How was it stupid? It makes sense that he would use Goku's time limit as an excuse. And so what if he is whiney? He's the bad guy in this situation. I'm glad that he's not shown to just be bad ass. It's nice when stories show bad guys as the pathetic douche bags they are.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:35 pm

Vijay wrote: ↑Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:30 pm @ Soppa Saia People

i mean i've never seen the anime portion of the boo saga in general, i've only read the manga.
ABED wrote: ↑Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:49 pm
How was it stupid? It makes sense that he would use Goku's time limit as an excuse. And so what if he is whiney? He's the bad guy in this situation. I'm glad that he's not shown to just be bad ass. It's nice when stories show bad guys as the pathetic douche bags they are.
my issue with majin vegeta isn't that he isn't bad ass enough, but i get your point well enough. can't really say i agree though.

πŸ‡΅πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΅πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΅πŸ‡Έ

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:39 pm

ABED wrote: ↑Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:49 pm
Vijay wrote: ↑Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:30 pm
ABED wrote: ↑Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:15 pm I didn't say everything needs to be at stake, but there do need to be SOME stakes. There was action and the tournament championship was at stake. What stakes were there with Gohan in high school? None. No villain could've even hurt him. If people found out who he was, what are they going to do?

U asked for stake. Here

@ Soppa Saia People

First, it's JPN, not Jap.

And none of those things are stakes. I covered this. If anyone found out his identity, his life would be mildly inconvenienced. Fighting off criminals wasn't a stake as they couldn't even touch him much less hurt him.

And why do you write "dat" and not "that"?
Man....can you pls...stop being such social media perfectionistπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚dat, jap....what next...talk abt my avatar...my username....

How would they even know abt him? Dude was in disguise the whole time & Satan City had rofl crimes as bank robbery, busjack etc.

For kid that grew-up at Mt. Paozu & joined brand new High School in foreign place Satan City with goal of fulfilling his mom's goal: becomin a scholar & fighting off crime AND not getting his identity discovered by his collegemates or Videl is.....herculean task mike

Just like Gon & Killua had to win Greed Island game.

Dude...you sure have steered this topic from what happened to Oob to what happened to Great Saiyaman GohanπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:53 pm

Vijay wrote: ↑Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:39 pm Man....can you pls...stop being such social media perfectionistπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚dat, jap....what next...talk abt my avatar...my username....
i mean, the j*p one does actually matter because it's a racial slur....

πŸ‡΅πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΅πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΅πŸ‡Έ

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:23 am

I'm hardly a perfectionist, but your posts are often difficult to read Vjay, and I'm not the one that steered this topic onto Great Saiyaman. How the hell did this become my fault? And as Soppa pointed out, Jap is a racial slur.

Uub isn't an interesting character. He's not really a character. He's more of a plot device to represent a future full of possibilities for Goku. Making him the co-lead would be a mistake. How long did it take for Gohan and Vegeta to become leads? What potential do you guys see in Uub beyond "he's really powerful"?

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:01 am

ABED wrote: ↑Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:23 am I'm hardly a perfectionist, but your posts are often difficult to read Vjay, and I'm not the one that steered this topic onto Great Saiyaman. How the hell did this become my fault? And as Soppa pointed out, Jap is a racial slur.

Uub isn't an interesting character. He's not really a character. He's more of a plot device to represent a future full of possibilities for Goku. Making him the co-lead would be a mistake. How long did it take for Gohan and Vegeta to become leads? What potential do you guys see in Uub beyond "he's really powerful"?
You're basing ya opinion based upon ya judgement alone mate. Open-up. View things as it is...not the way how you perceive or wanted it to be

Oob's screentime was like what? 3 episodes in Z.

Its d authors job to write Oob as likable character. I find the idea of timid village kid (who is reincarnation of Kid Boo, one of the deadliest being in the universe) being trained by one of greatest martial artist in the universe as next-gen fighter as unique.

Just as it was in Boo Arc. Gohan, Goten & Trunks as future leads

You basically answered ya own question. It took 4 arcs & 200+ episodes in order for Veggie to become full-fledged lead character, while Gohan came outta nowhere at tail-end of Cell Games...but dats for another arguement

Oob needs more screentime & feats displayed for fans to root for him. Hey, not even iconic Son Goku won over the fans back in the day (manga's original run in 1984) & needed some modifications in order fans to completly buy into Goku's character.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:29 am

Vijay wrote: ↑Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:01 am
ABED wrote: ↑Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:23 am I'm hardly a perfectionist, but your posts are often difficult to read Vjay, and I'm not the one that steered this topic onto Great Saiyaman. How the hell did this become my fault? And as Soppa pointed out, Jap is a racial slur.

You're basing ya opinion based upon ya judgement alone mate. Open-up. View things as it is...not the way how you perceive or wanted it to be

Its d authors job to write Oob as likable character. I find the idea of timid village kid (who is reincarnation of Kid Boo, one of the deadliest being in the universe) being trained by one of greatest martial artist in the universe as next-gen fighter as unique.

You basically answered ya own question. It took 4 arcs & 200+ episodes in order for Veggie to become full-fledged lead character, while Gohan came outta nowhere at tail-end of Cell Games...but dats for another arguement

Oob needs more screentime & feats displayed for fans to root for him. Hey, not even iconic Son Goku won over the fans back in the day (manga's original run in 1984) & needed some modifications in order fans to completly buy into Goku's character.
It's absurd that anyone should base their judgement on anything else. I have looked at many sides and I don't agree that he's interesting. I've seen GT as well. The reason you don't think I'm being open minded is because I'm not agreeing with you.

Uub is likeable enough, that was never the issue. He's nice, but he's not interesting and he fullfills a very specific function. In the transition from antagonist to co-lead, Vegeta was always interesting. Uub isn't. Uub doesn't need more screen time, he needs to be interesting.

As for your final point, I have zero clue where you got that idea.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:39 am

ABED wrote: ↑Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:29 am
Vijay wrote: ↑Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:01 am

It's absurd that anyone should base their judgement on anything else. I have looked at many sides and I don't agree that he's interesting. I've seen GT as well. The reason you don't think I'm being open minded is because I'm not agreeing with you.

Uub is likeable enough, that was never the issue. He's nice, but he's not interesting and he fullfills a very specific function. In the transition from antagonist to co-lead, Vegeta was always interesting. Uub isn't. Uub doesn't need more screen time, he needs to be interesting.

As for your final point, I have zero clue where you got that idea.
Bro...ur contradicating urself. 1st u said Oob isnt an interesting character.

Now ur sayin Oob's likable enough, but not interesting & fulfills.....

Gosh...he's just a kid who transitioned from frightened chap to mean mother who fought evenly with EoZ Goku & later flew away. What d'ya expect? Shoot earth-shattering steroid beam into the atmosphere from an incoming steroid beam from another alien baddie and then you'd say...Yup.Dude has transitioned into protagonist :P :P :P Lets not bring GT in shall we. Considering its alternate universe now.

A character's functionality decides if he'll be major protagonist or not. Veggie & Piccolo (according to AT) were valuable characters in Goku's absence

Give Oob some time & I'm sure he'd do the same. Always look at the bright side

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:09 am

I didn't contradict myself. I wrote "likeable", not "interesting". Two completely different words meaning two vastly different things.

A character doesn't have to be around long to make an impression. I think you overestimate how much screen time is needed to make an interesting character.

A character's personality decides if they are worth following.

I did look at the bright side, but that's not enough to say he's worth following.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:30 am

ABED wrote: ↑Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:09 am I didn't contradict myself. I wrote "likeable", not "interesting". Two completely different words meaning two vastly different things.

A character doesn't have to be around long to make an impression. I think you overestimate how much screen time is needed to make an interesting character.

A character's personality decides if they are worth following.

I did look at the bright side, but that's not enough to say he's worth following.
Each to his own....I suppose

Van Hohenhiem (FMAB), Netero (HXH2011), Sesshoumaru (Inuyasha), L (DN) all had limited screen-time, yet made an impression as they're allowed to DO SOMETHING

Oob was introduced & flew away all within 3 episodes not givin him much scope to perform or grow as character. You talk about personality. Oob reminds more of Namu & Kid Goku from heyday DB days. Thats more than what I could say for Kid Gohan or Goten & Trunks :P :P :P

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:37 am

Three episodes is more than enough to leave an impression. The impression I'm left with is he's boring but nice and served his purpose. I feel no desire to see more from that character.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:59 am

ABED wrote: ↑Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:37 am Three episodes is more than enough to leave an impression. The impression I'm left with is he's boring but nice and served his purpose. I feel no desire to see more from that character.
Oh god. DBZ Episode 289's last 5 min was Oob's 1st on-screen appearance. End of episode

DBZ Episode 290 was Goku settin-up his match based on his intuition, Pan's 1st TB match followed-up by Goku taunting Oob to ease his anxiety. Oob enraged, end of episode

DBZ Ep 291. All-out Goku vs Oob. Its essentially 1 episode where viewers/TB audienced/Z fighters are allowed to witnessed a village bumpkin child going toe-to-toe against trained & by far greatest martial artist in history. Goku cuts the match & flies away to train Oob.

Whats your arguement