Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:16 am

When Vic did his apology he should have came out harder againts the I stand with vic crowd and went to rehab for help. It would have out him in a better light and might have minimized the split in the fandom.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:10 am

miguelnuva1 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:16 am When Vic did his apology he should have came out harder againts the I stand with vic crowd and went to rehab for help. It would have out him in a better light and might have minimized the split in the fandom.
Agreed. That's one of the things that bothered me most, actually. He preaches love and piece in one of his tweets in... February, was it? But then we don't hear a peep from him again till this very month.

He set a bar that he did absolutely nothing to enforce. Instead, he let Nick run the show, with all the venom and hate that came with him.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:17 am

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:48 pmDon't forget their demands for Tiffany Vollmer to replace Rial as Bulma. (Didn't she move?)
That was such an obvious bit of bad-faith arguing on their part. Even ignoring that Vollmer has apparently retired from voice work, putting the emphasis on someone they preferred in the role was completely irrelevant to their supposed reason for wanting Rial gone; I'm sure that they thought it was a great way of insulting Monica Rial and reviving their nostalgic version of DBZ, but it just made them seem all the more childish.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:24 am

LostTimeLord wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:17 am
Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:48 pmDon't forget their demands for Tiffany Vollmer to replace Rial as Bulma. (Didn't she move?)
That was such an obvious bit of bad-faith arguing on their part. Even ignoring that Vollmer has apparently retired from voice work, putting the emphasis on someone they preferred in the role was completely irrelevant to their supposed reason for wanting Rial gone; I'm sure that they thought it was a great way of insulting Monica Rial and reviving their nostalgic version of DBZ, but it just made them seem all the more childish.
Agreed, if they wanted to feel relevant and not "BUHHHHH THE OLD CAST WAS BETTUR", they should have just said "Rial replaced for the Bulma role" or something.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:42 pm

The thing with the stans hoping that these other voices get replaced by people who haven't spoken out about Vic...they don't seem to get that a lot of the actors who are still "clean" in their minds are most likely not his supporters, but are just choosing not to get involved. Someone who is a serial harasser, and widely reported to be a difficult, demanding diva, is probably being tolerated at best by those who've worked with him. If everyone who'd had any issues with him spoke up (whether from their own experience, or in support of their coworkers), I bet the stans would demand that everyone but Vic and Chuck be fired from Funimation immediately :lol:
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:54 pm

sailorspazz wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:42 pm The thing with the stans hoping that these other voices get replaced by people who haven't spoken out about Vic...they don't seem to get that a lot of the actors who are still "clean" in their minds are most likely not his supporters, but are just choosing not to get involved. Someone who is a serial harasser, and widely reported to be a difficult, demanding diva, is probably being tolerated at best by those who've worked with him.
THIS.

I stayed off this thread for a while because it was getting a little unnecessarily dramatic for me. Not to mention that, with all the doxing and litigious people involved in this matter, and my not being completely anonymous since I'm part of the VA community, I decided to quiet down and let the emerging evidence, affidavits, depositions, and testimony speak for itself.

That said, I've still been keeping tabs on this thread in order to keep up with the news about this matter, and I thank everyone who has been kind enough to post the updates.

In any event, you...well, you have no idea how right you are, sailorspazz. Just because many voice actors are remaining silent (or, not even necessarily silent, but relatively quiet) in public doesn't mean they don't have opinions about this. For that matter, opinions that they're willing to be more open about in the company of their fellow voice actors who they see at workshops, classes, pre and post-session chats, lunches, and parties. Most of them aren't being that public about their opinions on this just because they don't want the drama...and as we have seen by now, there's been no shortage of drama in this matter, even among those who aren't directly involved.

As I said many pages back, pay attention to how many supporters in the VA community that he gets. Or doesn't.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:28 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:54 pm In any event, you...well, you have no idea how right you are, sailorspazz. Just because many voice actors are remaining silent (or, not even necessarily silent, but relatively quiet) in public doesn't mean they don't have opinions about this. For that matter, opinions that they're willing to be more open about in the company of their fellow voice actors who they see at workshops, classes, pre and post-session chats, lunches, and parties. Most of them aren't being that public about their opinions on this just because they don't want the drama...and as we have seen by now, there's been no shortage of drama in this matter, even among those who aren't directly involved.

As I said many pages back, pay attention to how many supporters in the VA community that he gets. Or doesn't.
On the flip side, man, I can't imagination how much love Monica & Marchi must be getting from her peers! Just the way they've been willing to put themselves out there and put up with it all!
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:07 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:28 pm
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:54 pm In any event, you...well, you have no idea how right you are, sailorspazz. Just because many voice actors are remaining silent (or, not even necessarily silent, but relatively quiet) in public doesn't mean they don't have opinions about this. For that matter, opinions that they're willing to be more open about in the company of their fellow voice actors who they see at workshops, classes, pre and post-session chats, lunches, and parties. Most of them aren't being that public about their opinions on this just because they don't want the drama...and as we have seen by now, there's been no shortage of drama in this matter, even among those who aren't directly involved.

On the flip side, man, I can't imagination how much love Monica & Marchi must be getting from her peers! Just the way they've been willing to put themselves out there and put up with it all!
Again, I have to be careful what I say here--I'm gonna go back to lurking for that very reason, as part of me thinks I've said too much already--but suffice to say, while there's rarely such a thing as a universal consensus on anything in this world, there's a near-universal consensus in the VA community with regard to who's being supported and who's not being supported, and why.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:19 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:07 pm Again, I have to be careful what I say here--I'm gonna go back to lurking for that very reason, as part of me thinks I've said too much already--but suffice to say, while there's rarely such a thing as a universal consensus on anything in this world, there's a near-universal consensus in the VA community with regard to who's being supported and who's not being supported, and why.
No, I wouldn't feel too bad. Well, I guess I can't tell... But it seems to me like you've been vague enough to not leave any trails, while also helping to remind us of the truth.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:41 pm

Not gonna lie, that makes me happy.

Just, for ONCE in situations like these, let the people whose opinions matter most sit on the side of goodness.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:25 pm

Yep. I definitely don't have extensive exposure to voice actors, but one weekend assisting Kara Edwards at Kameha Con told me an awful lot about who the other actors supported (the victims), and who they didn't (the perpetrator whose signing table had to be separated from everyone else's to reduce drama). The chatter at the signing booths and in the green room during breaks was definitely not in his favor. Yet even having such a bad reputation among his peers won't convince the hardcore Vic fans, cuz they can brush it off as, "they're just jealous of his success!" :roll:
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:53 pm

Vic's supporters are classic right-wing conspiracy morons. They get their jollies off of the idea that they're exposing some sinister shadow organization hellbent on...whatever it is a bunch of voice actors are plotting in their spare time. The whole shtick is that they know something the 'common idiot' doesn't know.

See: Seth Rich, pizzagate, the entire "deep state" concept, Sandy Hook denial, etc.
Special Beam Cannon!

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:12 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:53 pm Vic's supporters are classic right-wing conspiracy morons. They get their jollies off of the idea that they're exposing some sinister shadow organization hellbent on...whatever it is a bunch of voice actors are plotting in their spare time. The whole shtick is that they know something the 'common idiot' doesn't know.

See: Seth Rich, pizzagate, the entire "deep state" concept, Sandy Hook denial, etc.
Heh, I hate going back on what I said earlier about not saying anything more--especially this immediately--but I want to make a brief exception in order to comment on this. Once again, I'll have to be far, far less direct than I would prefer to be, so I apologize for that. I'd also like to make it clear to you, Cursed Lemon, that while I quoted you, this is not meant as a direct reply to you personally, it's meant as a way of indicating that what I've written below is more of a general commentary on this type of situation.

With that out of the way...the one thing I would gently encourage everyone to do when talking to others about this situation is to not only point to the facts that have emerged, but also to do so in as passion-less a manner as you can possibly muster.

Yes, there are most definitely people out there who are not interested in the facts, and are determined to stick to the conclusions they've already arrived at regardless of any new developments. Worse yet, there are those who are determined to stick to the conclusions they've already arrived at because they weren't even Vic/Monica/Kara/Jamie/anime/Dragon Ball/(insert name here) fans to begin with, and are far more interested in this as more of a generalized battle in a "culture war."

However...

There is also a subset of fans who have changed their previous stances. And hey, that can be very tough to do, especially if the issue in question involves somebody you have, or had, great admiration for. The fans who won't listen to facts or developments are not interested in a conversation, and thus lost causes who are not worth trying to reach...not even to say anything negative to them about their stubbornness. That said, fans who are willing to keep an open mind do exist. So, while it's tempting to write some people off, please try to refrain from doing so until it is plainly evident that they are not interested in the facts, and even then, try not to say bad things about them.

Trust me, I absolutely, 100%, completely understand how hard that can be. I like to believe that I'm very damn good at resisting the temptation to get angry and insult people who don't want to listen to the facts, but trust me, it is not as though that temptation isn't there. Ho boy is it there. It's there, and it can get quite strong. It's hard to hold our tongues in cases like these, especially when the (understandably) emotionally-charged topic of sexual abuse enters the discussion.

However, it may be worth noting that some people are refusing to change their stances or listen to new facts partially because they have been insulted by the people on the "other side," and don't want to admit to people who insulted them that they were right. In addition, it's also worth noting that many fans are getting their news from biased sources who are acting in bad faith, and were never interested in giving an unbiased, facts-based overview of this situation. So if their only sources of news about this are particular YouTube channels, livestreams, Twitter handles, and forums that they don't travel outside of...you might be surprised at how quickly some fans change their tune when they are confronted with info that they had no idea existed in the first place, because they weren't getting this info inside the "news echo-chamber" they've been hanging out in.

I am not denying, in the slightest, that there are people who don't care about the facts and are simply looking for whatever little tid-bits they can find that provide even the tiniest morsels of far-fetched validation towards the conclusions they've already come up with. Those people do exist. However, I just wanted to highlight that there are those who are open to a conversation. Those people do exist as well.

So, I guess that's just a very long way of saying, for the sake of those willing to listen...try just point out the facts to them and let them form their own opinion. If they're not interested in listening, it suggests they were never interested in learning anyway, and thus, are not worth anyone's time...so just move on, resist the temptation to label or insult them to the best of your abilities, and let the facts speak for themselves.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:22 pm

sailorspazz wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:25 pm Yet even having such a bad reputation among his peers won't convince the hardcore Vic fans, cuz they can brush it off as, "they're just jealous of his success!" :roll:
It's stunning (and yet telling) they've yet to come up with any capable answer on why Rial and co., let alone three decades' worth of unrelated individuals, would conspire together to out Vic.

"They're just jealous!" and "They wanted his roles!" obviously lack any semblance of critical thinking, but my personal favorite's the "arrghhh they couldn't stand he's Catholic and wanted to boot people with different viewpoints!" which displays a profound neglect of research/awareness when considering FUNimation's ties to Rick Santorum. (Let alone the presence of Christian/Catholic VAs in Caitlin Glass/Chuck Huber, or Conservatives like Duncan Brannan)
Last edited by Mr.Saturn99 on Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:12 pm

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:22 pm
sailorspazz wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:25 pm Yet even having such a bad reputation among his peers won't convince the hardcore Vic fans, cuz they can brush it off as, "they're just jealous of his success!" :roll:
It's stunning (and yet telling) they've yet to come up with any capable answer on why Rial and co., let alone three decades' worth of unrelated individuals, would conspire together to out Vic.

"They're just jealous!" and "They wanted his roles!" obviously lack any semblance of critical thinking, but my personal favorite's the "arrghhh they couldn't stand he's Catholic and wanted to boot people with different viewpoints!" which displays a profound neglect of research/awareness when considering FUNimation's ties to Rick Santorum. (Let alone the presence of Christian/Catholic VAs in Caitlin Glass/Wendy Powell, or Conservatives like Duncan Brannan)
Where did you hear Wendy Powell is Catholic?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:15 pm

Generally, when certain flavors of religious fundamentalist meet up with people from their own faith who oppose their viewpoints, their go-to response is 'those people aren't true Christians/Catholics/Baptists/etc.'
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:46 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:12 pm
Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:22 pm

"They're just jealous!" and "They wanted his roles!" obviously lack any semblance of critical thinking, but my personal favorite's the "arrghhh they couldn't stand he's Catholic and wanted to boot people with different viewpoints!" which displays a profound neglect of research/awareness when considering FUNimation's ties to Rick Santorum. (Let alone the presence of Christian/Catholic VAs in Caitlin Glass/Wendy Powell, or Conservatives like Duncan Brannan)
Where did you hear Wendy Powell is Catholic?
I thought read she starred Fantasy Soft's religious programming alongside Vic and Huber? Regardless, that may've been assumption on my end, so I've switched her name to Chuck Huber's. (Who is a practicing Catholic.)

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:08 pm

In the latest news regarding "jesus christ are they seriously doing this", Beard filed a motion to dismiss FUNi's affidavits on the grounds they're inadmissable/heresay.

Don't have time to read it now, but the snippets I'm seeing from Greg's Twitter are, uh, something.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:10 pm

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:08 pm In the latest news regarding "jesus christ are they seriously doing this", Beard filed a motion to dismiss FUNi's affidavits on the grounds they're inadmissable/heresay.
At this point I think they're just drawing out the case to maximize Funi's legal fees.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:24 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:12 pm So, while it's tempting to write some people off, please try to refrain from doing so until it is plainly evident that they are not interested in the facts, and even then, try not to say bad things about them.
If you don't agree with the equivalency that I drew, then that's one thing. But if you do generally agree with it, I feel you're being concerningly naive in the face of the current political climate. They are plainly not interested in facts. This entire ordeal is a ruse, and the evidence for that is rooted in the simple truth that the people who are spearheading the ISWV movement show little to no evidence of being fans of Vic's work in any capacity. He's just a vessel for them to vomit more redpill garbage.
However, it may be worth noting that some people are refusing to change their stances or listen to new facts partially because they have been insulted by the people on the "other side," and don't want to admit to people who insulted them that they were right.
You said yourself that the topic of sexual abuse is emotionally-charged. It's a moral issue, and the outrage from the KickVic side comes from the fact that there should not be any political tint to what is effectively the weeb version of the Bill Cosby debacle. There is no legitimate excuse for holding an ethically reprehensible position just because some person on Twitter was mean to you. To let that pass is to essentially erase that person's agency and reduce them to little more than a child, furthermore it demonstrates that they are apparently incapable of holding a belief out of inner moral uprightness rather than herd mentality.
Special Beam Cannon!