"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:38 pm

I don't hate the length of this arc, but we're definitely in for a downward slide from here on out. The Anilaza episode is fun, but after that it just drags until the end. Fortunately, the final episode is a-mazing.

As to how it stacks up to Dragon Ball's other super-long arcs, I feel like this arc has more going on than the filler portions of Namek, but not as much as Cell or Buu. The advantage of having so many characters is even though it's all just fighting on a ring for 35 episodes, you still feel like you're getting something different week to week. That's why it loses steam once it comes down to just Universe 11. The only things new they have to show us are Top's transformation and Jiren's backstory, which are both poorly handled.

Btw I'm making an effort to call him Top, since I don't think anyone else is.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:43 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:38 pm I don't hate the length of this arc, but we're definitely in for a downward slide from here on out. The Anilaza episode is fun, but after that it just drags until the end. Fortunately, the final episode is a-mazing.

As to how it stacks up to Dragon Ball's other super-long arcs, I feel like this arc has more going on than the filler portions of Namek, but not as much as Cell or Buu. The advantage of having so many characters is even though it's all just fighting on a ring for 35 episodes, you still feel like you're getting something different week to week. That's why it loses steam once it comes down to just Universe 11. The only things new they have to show us are Top's transformation and Jiren's backstory, which are both poorly handled.

I don't really agree with it going downhill since 122, 123, and 125 were extremely good. That God of Destruction Toppo episode is one of my favorite episodes. That beatdown that Freeza got, even Broly beating Freeza's ass for an hour did have the same ferocity. Honestly, I think only 127 and 128 dragged and God of Destruction Toppo needed one more episode since his fight with Vegeta was rushed.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:24 am

HeroR wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:43 pm
Kataphrut wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:38 pm I don't hate the length of this arc, but we're definitely in for a downward slide from here on out. The Anilaza episode is fun, but after that it just drags until the end. Fortunately, the final episode is a-mazing.

I don't really agree with it going downhill since 122, 123, and 125 were extremely good. That God of Destruction Toppo episode is one of my favorite episodes. That beatdown that Freeza got, even Broly beating Freeza's ass for an hour did have the same ferocity. Honestly, I think only 127 and 128 dragged and God of Destruction Toppo needed one more episode since his fight with Vegeta was rushed.
125 is great in isolation, but I can't in hindsight call it a good or necessary episode because of how it gets resolved in 126. That was an absolutely awful episode. 122 is carried by the Takahashi art and atmosphere, but knowing it all leads up to Vegeta's dumb transformation makes it hard to enjoy.

Basically, my hot take is that the stuff with Vegeta ruins this section of the arc. I'd forgotten how much of a light presence he was up to now, but he ends up dominating the final stretch, and not in a good way. It's funny, I'm seeing posts in the r/dbz Reddit from people who are following the dub and haven't been spoiled of anything to come and they're all saying "Where's Vegeta? When's Vegeta going to get his cool moment?"

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:17 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:24 am
HeroR wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:43 pm

125 is great in isolation, but I can't in hindsight call it a good or necessary episode because of how it gets resolved in 126. That was an absolutely awful episode. 122 is carried by the Takahashi art and atmosphere, but knowing it all leads up to Vegeta's dumb transformation makes it hard to enjoy.

Basically, my hot take is that the stuff with Vegeta ruins this section of the arc. I'd forgotten how much of a light presence he was up to now, but he ends up dominating the final stretch, and not in a good way. It's funny, I'm seeing posts in the r/dbz Reddit from people who are following the dub and haven't been spoiled of anything to come and they're all saying "Where's Vegeta? When's Vegeta going to get his cool moment?"
Even with how 126 ended, it still doesn't make 125 less good. In fact, I'm one of the few idiots around here who liked 126. My only issue was that the fight with Toppo and Vegeta needed to be longer.

Can't help you if you didn't like Vegeta being around.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:37 am

I can only assume that the dubbed episode was pretty good tonight or that the episode wasn't of note because people aren't complaining about minor discrepancies in the dub. In which case, ok.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:15 pm

From someone who never watched the sub, I am enjoying so far and excited for the last ten episodes.
The battles we’ve been waiting for. Let’s see what you got Jiren!

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:39 pm

Had the dub still not reached the final episode?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:53 pm

Noah wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:39 pm Had the dub still not reached the final episode?
This dub won't end until October.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:37 pm

Ama Lee sung Lagrima. She’s one of my favourite anime cover singers and did a pretty good job of it.

So we’re in this weird case with the dub where the worst ending gets the best cover. And the best insert song got the worst cover.

DasMuse
Beyond Newbie

Post by DasMuse » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:31 pm

Funi added more dub episodes to their stream today but completely skipped 110... 109 is 22 minutes long and ends at the spirit bomb struggle, and then goes right to 111... I swear it's like they go out of their way to piss their fans off. I'm half expecting the blu-rays to ship like that now.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:58 pm

DasMuse wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:31 pm Funi added more dub episodes to their stream today but completely skipped 110... 109 is 22 minutes long and ends at the spirit bomb struggle, and then goes right to 111... I swear it's like they go out of their way to piss their fans off. I'm half expecting the blu-rays to ship like that now.
...maybe they're redoing the audio mix to use the Japanese version of Ultimate Battle?

Oh, I know it's unlikely, but hey I can dream.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:19 am

PremiumSalt wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:58 pm
DasMuse wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:31 pm Funi added more dub episodes to their stream today but completely skipped 110... 109 is 22 minutes long and ends at the spirit bomb struggle, and then goes right to 111... I swear it's like they go out of their way to piss their fans off. I'm half expecting the blu-rays to ship like that now.
...maybe they're redoing the audio mix to use the Japanese version of Ultimate Battle?

Yeah, that's a big nope. People have said plenty of negative things about every ending theme and not a single cover has been removed or reworked due to fan perception.

That being said, this is a pretty major screwup on their part and needs to be addressed. So, not only are we not getting the full version of the episode, but we're only getting one of the two?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:41 am

Valerius Dover wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:19 am

Yeah, that's a big nope. People have said plenty of negative things about every ending theme and not a single cover has been removed or reworked due to fan perception.

That being said, this is a pretty major screwup on their part and needs to be addressed. So, not only are we not getting the full version of the episode, but we're only getting one of the two?
I very much doubt we won't get the full versions of the episodes on the home releases. They're probably redoing the cover of the song, since they've done other little dub corrections so far. I can't imagine what else it would be.

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:03 pm

Scsigs wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:41 am
Valerius Dover wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:19 am

I very much doubt we won't get the full versions of the episodes on the home releases. They're probably redoing the cover of the song, since they've done other little dub corrections so far. I can't imagine what else it would be.
There wouldn't happen to be a list of said corrections floating around out there, would there? Just curious is all.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:57 am

I forget. Did anyone say that Richard Steven Horvitz, under a pseudonym, voiced Dr. Rota in this dub of Super?

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:16 am

Someone said it, dunno if anyone confirmed it.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:39 pm

Shaddy wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:16 am Someone said it, dunno if anyone confirmed it.
Apparently it's been confirmed. Looked up his Wikipedia page while watching the Invader Zim Netflix movie (which is a great movie you all should watch if you haven't yet) & it's in his filmography. Damn, Sabat surprises me sometimes.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:19 am

Scsigs wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:39 pm
Shaddy wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:16 am Someone said it, dunno if anyone confirmed it.
Apparently it's been confirmed. Looked up his Wikipedia page while watching the Invader Zim Netflix movie (which is a great movie you all should watch if you haven't yet) & it's in his filmography. Damn, Sabat surprises me sometimes.
I'd actually credit this one more to Dawn M. Bennett, the voice of Kale - she was one of Horvitz's students a while back apparently, so I'd imagine she's responsible for getting FUNi in touch with him. I can't imagine he'll start popping up in stuff all the time or in major roles, but it'd be great if he did, Horvitz is an AMAZING actor.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:23 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:19 amHorvitz is an AMAZING actor.
You can add "amazing person" and "amazing teacher" to that list as well. I smiled when I heard him in the dub.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:04 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:23 am
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:19 amHorvitz is an AMAZING actor.
You can add "amazing person" and "amazing teacher" to that list as well. I smiled when I heard him in the dub.
I've never had the pleasure of meeting him myself, but from everything I've seen and heard from people who have, that's definitely true. :thumbup: Rob Paulsen's Talking Toons podcast episodes with Horvitz as the guest are still amongst my favorite podcasts ever just because of how purely enthused and energetic Horvitz is there. To quote Paulsen, 'He IS a cartoon character'.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)