"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TKA
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by TKA » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:04 pm

Regarder wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:48 pm I think it says something when the sign of a bad Dragonball villain is when they act just like a Dragonball villain. It says that the series has been around for such a long time that the older fans want it to reinvent itself to be fresh, rather than just safely play out the same script for a whole new generation of fans.
Fans generally have bad opinions and latch on to anything they can meme, make videos about or get "hype" about. All tend to be very flimsy, surface level drivel. When just a well-animated fight can galvanize the entire fanbase (the last 2 episodes of Super) even though the narrative is absolute trash, then you don't have a very discerning fanbase.

Moro, as he's been written thus far, is a bad villain. Moro, also, is nothing like what canon Dragonball villains tend to be. Toriyama has a formula, but Moro is outside of that. Moro has been like a Toei villain for the vast majority of his screentime. The only thing he's done to differentiate himself from the typical Toei villain is wish to free all the criminals instead of wishing for immortality.

I'm waiting to see where this goes to justify making that wish.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:20 pm

Vegeta's pride is frustrated, as a Saiyan he can't beat an opponent with brute strength. In the TOP, he said being taught anything by anyone does not suit his style. So is going to Yardrat to possibly learn some magic contradicting his pride? Or is this development that Vegeta needs help/teaching contrary to his pride?

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:27 am

Watch Vegeta learn a secret method to prevent his ki from being absorbed. Or some way like a talisman to seal Moro's abilities.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:45 am

Considering that no one predicted Moro's wish, I would be thinking outside the box with this Vegeta stuff.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:55 am

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:45 am Considering that no one predicted Moro's wish, I would be thinking outside the box with this Vegeta stuff.
I really hope Toyotaro is thinking outside the box and has a surprise waiting for us at the end of this Yardrat trip. And...
Rakurai wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:27 am Watch Vegeta learn a secret method to prevent his ki from being absorbed. Or some way like a talisman to seal Moro's abilities.
...hopefully it's not this. At least not the first one. Vegeta learning magic immunity would be so boring that it'd feel like a cop-out.
I'm happy to speculate about what Vegeta will learn, and I suspect that we won't get to know what it is next chapter because it'll be a whole reveal, but I'm hoping it'll be a surprising or creative technique that we can't easily guess.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:58 am

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:45 am Considering that no one predicted Moro's wish, I would be thinking outside the box with this Vegeta stuff.
I really hope it feels like some sort of progression and not a plot device like "a technique to not get your energy sucked" lol

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:38 am

Miracles wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:20 pm Vegeta's pride is frustrated, as a Saiyan he can't beat an opponent with brute strength. In the TOP, he said being taught anything by anyone does not suit his style. So is going to Yardrat to possibly learn some magic contradicting his pride? Or is this development that Vegeta needs help/teaching contrary to his pride?
Yes, Vegeta recognizes that the Saiyans' motive of pride, physical strength, is not enough in this situation, and that he must put aside disbelief in the operation of special techniques (in FT arc he prefers to go to RoSaT because he doesn't want to depend of Mafuba)

He put aside his pride once, when he chose to be trained by Whis to overcome Goku and Beerus. I think this is the continuation of development he's been having on DBZ and DBS (although at some specific times, I don't like how they characterize Vegeta in anime or manga, even that I still prefer the manga in this aspecto)

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:37 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:38 am
Miracles wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:20 pm Vegeta's pride is frustrated, as a Saiyan he can't beat an opponent with brute strength. In the TOP, he said being taught anything by anyone does not suit his style. So is going to Yardrat to possibly learn some magic contradicting his pride? Or is this development that Vegeta needs help/teaching contrary to his pride?
Yes, Vegeta recognizes that the Saiyans' motive of pride, physical strength, is not enough in this situation, and that he must put aside disbelief in the operation of special techniques (in FT arc he prefers to go to RoSaT because he doesn't want to depend of Mafuba)

He put aside his pride once, when he chose to be trained by Whis to overcome Goku and Beerus. I think this is the continuation of development he's been having on DBZ and DBS (although at some specific times, I don't like how they characterize Vegeta in anime or manga, even that I still prefer the manga in this aspecto)
Yes. That's the way I see it. However, Vegeta could go to the planet and do something we do not expect. Like bring a Yardrat back with them to help fight instead of being taught to maintain his Saiyan pride. Maybe he thinks one of them knows how to do the sealing tech that Dai Kai knows but can't do at the moment.

Also, to those harping on Moro's lack of spell diversity. What has Goku and Vegeta done to force him to use more magic? This is like the third time Moro could of finished Goku and Vegeta but didn't. As we see, Moro is more focused on his goal and uses Vegeta and Goku's power for it. This chapter, he transferred their energy to his minions, giving them power through Goku and Vegeta. Moro says letting these same minions out is just "one small step towards his goal."

I see no reason for Moro to panic as the plot completely has him in control now. There is nothing these Saiyan brutes can do other than swing their clubs harder to try and win. It's quite funny how Moro is toying with our protagonists.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:17 pm

Miracles wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:37 pm
TheSaiyanGod wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:38 am

Yes. That's the way I see it. However, Vegeta could go to the planet and do something we do not expect. Like bring a Yardrat back with them to help fight instead of being taught to maintain his Saiyan pride. Maybe he thinks one of them knows how to do the sealing tech that Dai Kai knows but can't do at the moment.

Also, to those harping on Moro's lack of spell diversity. What has Goku and Vegeta done to force him to use more magic? This is like the third time Moro could of finished Goku and Vegeta but didn't. As we see, Moro is more focused on his goal and uses Vegeta and Goku's power for it. This chapter, he transferred their energy to his minions, giving them power through Goku and Vegeta. Moro says letting these same minions out is just "one small step towards his goal."

I see no reason for Moro to panic as the plot completely has him in control now. There is nothing these Saiyan brutes can do other than swing their clubs harder to try and win. It's quite funny how Moro is toying with our protagonists.
If he is going to ask for help from a Yardrat, I think he would still be within that character's line of evolution, but it would make more sense for him to submit to learning a special technique to try to defeat Moro (something he ironically just scorned in this chapter). And as Vegeta himself said, the Yardrats are not strong (although they know strange techniques), if they went into battle they would probably have a their Ki absorbed very quickly.

And about what you said now, initially I didn't like the idea of Moro simply letting Goku and Vegeta live, even though he had a chance to defeat them. It seemed very convenient. But I believe it now makes a lot of sense considering that both of them are a great source of power for him, who now has a small army and Moro can make them much stronger with this absorbed Ki.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:26 am

Did anyone noticed how the "majin" inmate switched from rounded ears to pointy ones from one panel to other? And what about getting a majin there? What is supposed to be the actual in-continuity explanation to Majin's origins as of now?
Oh and btw one of the inmates is I think of the same race of Za Priccio.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:02 pm

Well, the simpler explanation is that it's not a Majin, it just looks like one for some reason

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:46 am

Maybe he's linked to this character?

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/dra ... -prefix=it

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:01 am

I don't want to make a new thread for this, so I'll just ask here: Do you think Toyotaro could go from monthly to bi-weekly with the Super manga?
Personally I believe he has the ability to do so, at least in terms of drawing, because the total page count per month would barely change (45 pages per month vs 20 pages per 2 weeks = 540 pages per year vs 520 pages per year, it's actually a decrease), the schedule would just be a bit tighter.
However, I'm not familiar with the available magazines and I don't know if having a bi-weekly manga is "accepted". So even if Toyotaro could do it, which I believe he could, I don't know if he'd be allowed to. If not, then that's a bit of a shame, because I think the manga could benefit from it, because more frequent updates should mean higher maintained interest.
But I'd like to hear more people's opinions on this.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:17 pm

Alruneia wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:01 am I don't want to make a new thread for this, so I'll just ask here: Do you think Toyotaro could go from monthly to bi-weekly with the Super manga?
Personally I believe he has the ability to do so, at least in terms of drawing, because the total page count per month would barely change (45 pages per month vs 20 pages per 2 weeks = 540 pages per year vs 520 pages per year, it's actually a decrease), the schedule would just be a bit tighter.
However, I'm not familiar with the available magazines and I don't know if having a bi-weekly manga is "accepted". So even if Toyotaro could do it, which I believe he could, I don't know if he'd be allowed to. If not, then that's a bit of a shame, because I think the manga could benefit from it, because more frequent updates should mean higher maintained interest.

If we are getting this kind of chapters monthly (quality leaving much to be desired, in particular the long-term thinking and lack of overall creativeness/dramatic tension/interesting plotlines barring a few ideas), then I don´t want to know what could happen with a "bit tighter schedule". Hell, I´ve even seen people complain about toyo´s drawings.

However, it´s true that pressure sometimes gets better results, in these cases. Then again, mediocre chapters are better "received" in small, sporadic doses, rather than one every two weeks, because the former option makes us long for more content, faster. So I think, if the manga doesn´t improve by going bi-monthly (which is quite possible), then it would be worse to make it bi-monthly, if you follow me.

In the end we all want to just enjoy the content, but sometimes less is more.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:19 am

anubisj wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:17 pm
Alruneia wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:01 am I don't want to make a new thread for this, so I'll just ask here: Do you think Toyotaro could go from monthly to bi-weekly with the Super manga?

If we are getting this kind of chapters monthly (quality leaving much to be desired, in particular the long-term thinking and lack of overall creativeness/dramatic tension/interesting plotlines barring a few ideas), then I don´t want to know what could happen with a "bit tighter schedule". Hell, I´ve even seen people complain about toyo´s drawings.

However, it´s true that pressure sometimes gets better results, in these cases. Then again, mediocre chapters are better "received" in small, sporadic doses, rather than one every two weeks, because the former option makes us long for more content, faster. So I think, if the manga doesn´t improve by going bi-monthly (which is quite possible), then it would be worse to make it bi-monthly, if you follow me.

To be fair, a tighter scheduel could force Toyo to cut out all the needless bullshit and focus his plot and pacing... Or make them more glaring.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:28 am

Kanassa wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:19 am
anubisj wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:17 pm

To be fair, a tighter scheduel could force Toyo to cut out all the needless bullshit and focus his plot and pacing... Or make them more glaring.
yeah, that´s what I think, it could turn out good, but it could also turn out really bad. Also, I meant to say bi-weekly in my previous post, can´t edit now.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:22 pm

The most that can change is him getting more pages. This is a V-Jump manga. It helps the magazine and keeps him and Toriyama from having to do the weekly mangaka grind. Unless something huge happens, I doubt they'll change anything.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:45 pm

I don't remember if anyone posted about it (at least, I didn't see anyone talking about it), but it seems that for some reason just now an interview with Toyotaro by '' The Journal of Mickey '' (published in May) has been released.

https://twitter.com/Oshinsu/status/1156168951656828928

It is in French. But basically, it seems that

- When Toyotaro has ideas, he draws them in his storybords, and those ideas are validated by Toryiama.
- Toriyama said Toyotaro's work was delicate, and he had many ideas.
- Toyotaro says Toriyama chose him as his successor
- When he's inspired, he finishes 10 pages a day (what does he do the rest of the month then?)

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:07 pm

Really weird that Goku and Vegeta were in their RF outfits when we havent seen those in three arcs.