Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:49 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:24 amThey are plainly not interested in facts.
Certainly, many--perhaps, sadly, even most--aren't.

However, some are. Something that struck me was a Twitter exchange (which I unfortunately can't find) in which somebody tweeted the video of one of the depositions, and somebody who was, at the time, on one side of this issue, tweeted back something to the effect of, "Yikes...well I feel bad for backing the wrong horse now."

That's somebody who was interested in the facts, and they are no longer holding the position they used to hold upon learning the facts. To the extent that this is a "political climate" issue, I think one of the issues here is that we have a tendency to lump everybody together into groups with little concern for nuance, and it is disrupting our ability to have a healthy dialogue as a result. So, some of us have a tendency to say that "no one is interested in the facts," but truthfully, some are. I'm simply trying to encourage the kind of dialogue in that Twitter exchange that I cited above for the sake of those out there who do care about the facts, even if they are not the majority.
Cursed Lemon wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:24 amThere is no legitimate excuse for holding an ethically reprehensible position just because some person on Twitter was mean to you. To let that pass is to essentially erase that person's agency and reduce them to little more than a child, furthermore it demonstrates that they are apparently incapable of holding a belief out of inner moral uprightness rather than herd mentality.
And I guess what I'm suggesting is that it's worth taking into consideration that...yes, people like that should be regarded as children, not capable of having an adult conversation. Ignoring them can sometimes go a long way, as many of them thrive on attention. When somebody who is morally reprehensible is clamoring for attention, sometimes the most effective solution is to starve them of the attention they crave. Let them whine like babies, and let them see for themselves that no one wants them around if all they're going to do is scream in their little corner of the internet where no one wants to engage with them until they start behaving like an adult.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:00 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:49 am Something that struck me was a Twitter exchange (which I unfortunately can't find) in which somebody tweeted the video of one of the depositions, and somebody who was, at the time, on one side of this issue, tweeted back something to the effect of, "Yikes...well I feel bad for backing the wrong horse now."
It was this reply to the video Terez shared of Nick openly hoping that Vic would lie about the hair pulling. And while that one reply is encouraging, sadly there are very few people being swayed like this. For the most part, they just double down and come up with excuses for why even admissions from Vic himself are somehow not proof that he did anything wrong. I naively hoped as well after seeing that person change their mind that more would follow, but unfortunately I don't see others doing the same, even with all the affidavits that are now accessible. Instead of taking them at face value, they're tearing them apart, trying to poke holes in them any way they can, and once they latch onto one specific detail that they believe to be false (even if that belief is based on their own misunderstanding of what's being said), suddenly the entire account is "debunked, false, so-and-so is a LIAR" etc. Whenever I engage with ISWV people, I certainly try to stay factual and non-insulting so as not to set them off even more, but it honestly feels like most of them are a lost cause at this point.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:22 am

sailorspazz wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:00 pm
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:49 am Something that struck me was a Twitter exchange (which I unfortunately can't find) in which somebody tweeted the video of one of the depositions, and somebody who was, at the time, on one side of this issue, tweeted back something to the effect of, "Yikes...well I feel bad for backing the wrong horse now."
It was this reply to the video Terez shared of Nick openly hoping that Vic would lie about the hair pulling. And while that one reply is encouraging, sadly there are very few people being swayed like this. For the most part, they just double down and come up with excuses for why even admissions from Vic himself are somehow not proof that he did anything wrong. I naively hoped as well after seeing that person change their mind that more would follow, but unfortunately I don't see others doing the same, even with all the affidavits that are now accessible. Instead of taking them at face value, they're tearing them apart, trying to poke holes in them any way they can, and once they latch onto one specific detail that they believe to be false (even if that belief is based on their own misunderstanding of what's being said), suddenly the entire account is "debunked, false, so-and-so is a LIAR" etc. Whenever I engage with ISWV people, I certainly try to stay factual and non-insulting so as not to set them off even more, but it honestly feels like most of them are a lost cause at this point.
Sounds just like the supporters of a certain POTUS...
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:43 am

sailorspazz wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:00 pmAnd while that one reply is encouraging, sadly there are very few people being swayed like this.
To be fair, there's probably a lot of silent dissenters, too. Guys that dropped out without saying a word.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:25 pm

Not Safe For Life Warning: While footage of a DragonCon costume show where Vic hits on a little girl wearing a Wonder Woman costume ("What're you doing after the show?"/She's flexin' those biceps!") has been discussed before, it's recently surfaced again and Rekieta defended it on the grounds said girl "was hitting on Vic".

In case you missed all the countless, neon-flashing signs Rekieta was a outrage-peddling misogynist, well, there you go. In any event, I need a shower.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:22 am

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:25 pm Not Safe For Life Warning: While footage of a DragonCon costume show where Vic hits on a little girl wearing a Wonder Woman costume ("What're you doing after the show?"/She's flexin' those biceps!") has been discussed before, it's recently surfaced again and Rekieta defended it on the grounds said girl "was hitting on Vic".

In case you missed all the countless, neon-flashing signs Rekieta was a outrage-peddling misogynist, well, there you go. In any event, I need a shower.
I couldn't clearly hear what Vic was saying (although I probably wouldn't want to).
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:25 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:22 am
Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:25 pm Not Safe For Life Warning: While footage of a DragonCon costume show where Vic hits on a little girl wearing a Wonder Woman costume ("What're you doing after the show?"/She's flexin' those biceps!") has been discussed before, it's recently surfaced again and Rekieta defended it on the grounds said girl "was hitting on Vic".

I couldn't clearly hear what Vic was saying (although I probably wouldn't want to).
Our own Terez comes to the, ahem, "rescue".

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:56 pm

It's bad enough when he does this stuff to teenagers... but 5-year-olds?

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:28 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:53 pm Vic's supporters are classic right-wing conspiracy morons. They get their jollies off of the idea that they're exposing some sinister shadow organization hellbent on...whatever it is a bunch of voice actors are plotting in their spare time. The whole shtick is that they know something the 'common idiot' doesn't know.

See: Seth Rich, pizzagate, the entire "deep state" concept, Sandy Hook denial, etc.
Speaking of Pizzagate, I go to Comet Ping Pong every time I'm in DC since I'm close friends with someone that's close to James Alefantis and I can confirm that there are no children or underground sex dungeons of any kind. I've explored the establishment top to bottom many, many times; I'm always treated like family when I'm there. These right-wing conspiracy theorists are a clear and present danger to our society and just like Alex Jones they all need to be shut down. Fake news is a real problem and more needs to be done to combat it. There is no "Illuminati". There is no "Luciferian Doctrine". It's all nonsense meant to distract you from the fact that Russia is the real enemy, not your own government or some kind of "Elite" Satanic cabal. Trust me, we need to focus on the real issues.
One World. 🌐 🕊

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:05 am

Honey, the US imprisoned and tortured Chelsea Manning for exposing war crimes committed with our taxes and name. This was done under Obama, who was supposed to be a lefty. Our government is our enemy. Russia isn't the reason 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck. Russia didn't bail out the banks and not prosecute anyone. Russia didn't give us $1.6 trilliom in student loan debt. Russia didn't stagnate our wages since the 1970s, leading to the working-class to begin to use credit cards which now amounts to over a trillion dollars. Russia didn't stick us with over a trillion in medical debt. Russia didn't thrust us into eight illegal and offensive wars against sovereign nations that didn't attack us.

Russia's conservative government and its treatment of my fellow gender, sex and racial minorities is hideous and wrong but it's done nothing to harm the US like the US government and its forty years of conservative presidents have.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:59 am

PhoenixEX wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:28 pmRussia is the real enemy
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:05 amOur government is our enemy.
While there are countless, dangerously crass, myopic, tribalist, and unwise, individuals in positions of great power, all around the globe, whose continued collective tenure in said positions is nothing short of a threat to human civilization and every life on the planet (human or otherwise)...
...even if they believe they are.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:13 am

You realize that the US government is currently trying to strip away the human rights of transgender folks such as myself, right? That's going to get this little girl killed.

This is to say nothing of a billion other things they're doing to siphon the working-class' money away to the owner-class.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:44 am

Yeah. To be fair to everyone Julie isnt calling for people to be executed. Only that they face their responsibilty and justice itself.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:36 pm

The YIKES continues with select pieces of affidavits from the pair of twins he propositioned now being posting in The Threadnought

It's all skeevy, but especially this bit right here:

"Age is just a number." Yep, clearly shows his philosophy right there, and why he thought nothing was weird about hitting on/inappropriately touching women regardless of their age. Anyone he was interested who was still underage could just be groomed until they were legal, like these girls. And, as someone pointed out in the comments, his new girlfriend has a twin, so is he just trying to make attempt #2 on his twin sex fantasy? :sick:
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:00 pm

See, on the one hand, I would agree that 'age is just a number' if and only if, it was actually a fully, 100% consensual relationship between two adults. If a 22 year old and a 50 year old actually fell in love and there were no ulterior motives, then hey, sure, go for it. But those type of people aren't the people that would be even citing 'age is just a number' really, they'd just be living their lives.

Vic using it here to try and defend his actions to attempt to seduce two much younger women? That's just fucked up. It's just like when people try to argue 'oh, boys will be boys' for when guys harass women.
sailorspazz wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:36 pm "Age is just a number." Yep, clearly shows his philosophy right there, and why he thought nothing was weird about hitting on/inappropriately touching women regardless of their age. Anyone he was interested who was still underage could just be groomed until they were legal, like these girls. And, as someone pointed out in the comments, his new girlfriend has a twin, so is he just trying to make attempt #2 on his twin sex fantasy? :sick:
It's definitely a clear case of grooming going on here, yeah. Makes me wonder how long he's known his current 20-year-old girlfriend and how groomed she might be as a result.

And as far as Vic thinking nothing was weird about it, he's either in such a self-defense mode now that he can't even admit that anything he's done is wrong, or he's playing it up to act like he understands absolutely nothing of social norms. There was another thing I'd seen shared from his deposition where he asked for a definition of sexual harassment (in regards to the incident with Jamie Marchi) only to then state that he disagrees with that definition. :crazy:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:09 pm

"She doesn't matter."

Just want to repeat that quote.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:20 pm

There's been quite a few motions filed lately aside from that damning affidavits; as it happens, two more just arrived in the form of Rial/Toye and Marchi's Objections to Plaintiff's Motion to continue. The former's particularly damning in that, uh, Beard apparently lied to the court regarding a three-week delay. Mike Dunford gets into the nitty-gritty here, but to quickly summarize:

-In Beard's Motion to Continue, he requests a three-week delay so he can carefully review the opposing evidence, yet his emails to Rial/Toye's legal counsel requests a thorough withdrawal of various exhibitsfrom their filings; otherwise, he'll move head with the Motion to Strike. This shows he already closely scrutinized their Motion.

-Bear in mind, however, this request was only filed in Motion; in other words, with just the court. As seen in another email exchange with their counsel, he requests more time for the sake of filing objections before the opposing Motions are even introduced. Nothing about review or analysis is mentioned.

There's other things in there, like how Beard foolishly discusses his legal plans on Rekieta's YouTube and whatnot, but that he left an email trail of all this is...inept, to say the least. I know Greg and co. have previously elaborated on the likelihood of said delay, yet I can't imagine the judge taking kindly to this.
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:09 pm "She doesn't matter."

Just want to repeat that quote.
Truly the paragon of Christian values.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:18 pm

Side-bar: can someone be arrested based on actions revealed in a court case? Like, uh... what's being revealed right now?
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:00 pm And as far as Vic thinking nothing was weird about it, he's either in such a self-defense mode now that he can't even admit that anything he's done is wrong, or he's playing it up to act like he understands absolutely nothing of social norms.
Again I think he's just dangerously naive and genuinely doesn't see anything wrong with what he's doing.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:31 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:18 pm Side-bar: can someone be arrested based on actions revealed in a court case? Like, uh... what's being revealed right now?
I don't think so. As far as I know, since he's the one taking them to trial at the moment, absolutely no legal downfalls of that kind can befall him. The worst that can happen is he loses or gets the case thrown out and he's hit with a shit-ton of legal fees.

Even if he was the one on trial at the moment, unfortunately so much of what he's done is probably well outside of the statute of limitations, that I don't think he'd get anything there either. I have seen some people calling out desperately for someone that he's done this to far more recently to come forward though, so that some actual prosecution of him can occur.
Again I think he's just dangerously naive and genuinely doesn't see anything wrong with what he's doing.
That's what I would have thought at the start of all this, back when it seemed, at worst, we were talking about giving people hugs and cheek-kisses without their consent. But at the point we're at now, where he's grabbed hair, brought people up to his room multiple times, and forcibly kissed people on the lips? I dunno. He could still be genuine in his disbelief that this is 'wrong', but at that point it's far beyond dangerously naive, it's just sociopathic. Which he may well be, unfortunately. I'm beginning to think there is some merit to Huber's "defense" that Vic's a sex addict too. And I don't mean that in a 'defense' way the way he did, it still doesn't excuse anything here, but the more and more we hear about it, he does definitely seem to have an addiction to it.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:36 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:31 pm I don't think so. As far as I know, since he's the one taking them to trial at the moment, absolutely no legal downfalls of that kind can befall him. The worst that can happen is he loses or gets the case thrown out and he's hit with a shit-ton of legal fees.
That's kind of insane to me. So if it's revealed through this case that Vic (as an example) murdered somebody, he can't be arrested for it??
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:31 pm That's what I would have thought at the start of all this, back when it seemed, at worst, we were talking about giving people hugs and cheek-kisses without their consent. But at the point we're at now, where he's grabbed hair, brought people up to his room multiple times, and forcibly kissed people on the lips? I dunno. He could still be genuine in his disbelief that this is 'wrong', but at that point it's far beyond dangerously naive, it's just sociopathic. Which he may well be, unfortunately. I'm beginning to think there is some merit to Huber's "defense" that Vic's a sex addict too. And I don't mean that in a 'defense' way the way he did, it still doesn't excuse anything here, but the more and more we hear about it, he does definitely seem to have an addiction to it.
I would also like to retroactively apply some MASSIVE air-quotes around the word "just" in my earlier post too. If anything this court case will ensure Vic will only get hired by the type of companies who don't care that he's completely inconsiderate around women. In which case we should stop paying attention to those companies.