Was Vegeta's Majin Boost Nerfed?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Was Vegeta's Majin Boost Nerfed?

Post by theherodjl » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:07 pm

As in Vegeta could have benefited even more from the Majin boost but was hindered as a result of Vegeta disobeying the will of Babidi and/or consciously refusing to become stronger than Goku since he wanted to prove that he could win on even ground? Or is the alternative explanation, the one where the Majin boost is simply overrated and could only push Vegeta to be on par with Goku at it's best, the more accurate one?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Was Vegeta's Majin Boost Nerfed?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:58 pm

Well Yamu tried to defy Babidi's will by escaping, but he could still fly at that point, which he presumably couldn't do before the boost, so maybe resisting the control doesn't affect the power boost.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:11 pm

I don't think Vegeta resisting Babidi had any result whatsoever in his power level, in any case I guess he might even needed to get stronger to break free from his control.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:28 pm

Before taking complete control of Vegeta's body, Babidi said he would unleash his hidden power to make him stronger. Once that was done, there would be no way for Babidi to weaken Vegeta (especially because he couldn't actually control him).

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:57 am

I doubt it.

What could Babidi exactly do? I mean...he literally had no control whatsoever on Veggie since da beginning...lmao

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:19 pm

I believe it was, but not for the reasons you mentioned. We know Vegeta has more potential than even Goku by virtue of being an Elite Saiyan (In contrast to Goku, a Low Class), and this is further shown in Battle of Gods when Super Saiyan 2 Vegeta surpasses even Super Saiyan 3 Goku in a burst of rage. Yet Babidi could only make him as strong as Goku…

You see, most potential unlock rituals are very drawn out to allow the body to adapt to such power (Saichorou’s takes days, Old Kaioshin’s took a full day…). In Vegeta’s case all of the power came out at once and his body could barely handle it, as shown ny the constantly stressed out state that no underling other than Spopovich and Yamu were shown to have.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Awesome_Gotenks

Post by Awesome_Gotenks » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:03 pm

A universal premise after the Freeza Arc is Vegeta trying to catch up to Goku, and Goku always being one step ahead. So Goku obviously has more potential than Vegeta does.

The End of Z explicitly shows this to be the case, as well.
Super Gotenks is Born | SSjin3 Gotenks > Super Boo | SSjin Gotenks Pre > SSjin3 Goku

Base Gotenks(Pre) = SSjin2 Tier
Base Gotenks(Post) > SSjin Gotenks(Pre)
SSjin2 Gotenks > SSjin Gogeta
SSjin3 Gotenks >>> SSjin2 Gogeta

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:28 pm

Yeah, Vegeta's potential or at least the progression rate seems to be less than the rapid pace Goku seems to develop at. The Majin power increase demonstrated initiative on Vegeta's part which, while undignified and compromising in the Saiyan Prince's mind, gave him the necessary bolstering to put him on equal footing with Goku without SSJ3.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:56 am

Being born in a higher class than Goku, Vegeta is supposed to be the more gifted of the two. This is corroborated by how Vegeta has the upperhand in the Android Arc when they’ve both undergone similiar training regiments.

The case with Goku is that he’s never satisfied with his power, and constantly seeks to go further, ever seeing ways to surpass the wall he hits. This is acknowledged by Vegeta twice in the Boo Arc: When he and Goku are fighting and when Goku is fighting Majin Boo. In both stances Vegeta claims to have more natural talent/trained more, but that it wasn’t enough to overcome Goku’s genius and determination.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:36 am

Vegeta has never had the opportunities to train the same way as Goku except when leading up to SSJ1 with him duplicating the gravity chamber training and now with training alongside him. Goku has had vastly better training options over the years and got to train for seven years with Gods and elite dead fighters from all over the universe in a body that would never truly fatigue. I think that alone gave Goku an extreme advantage.

It's like if you took two UFC fighters, had one train with the best trainers and spar with the greatest fighters in the world fighting a guy who trains alone in his basement. One is going to have a distinct advantage.

If anything I think this proves Vegeta has higher natural potential since he was mostly able to keep up despite his training methods being inferior.

Now, at the end of super Goku and Vegeta are treated as equals, with Vegeta possibly being stronger if you take MUI out of the equation (Possible evidence in the ToP with Vegeta being the last man standing against Jiren and Goku laid out until Vegeta gave him his last ounce of power).