"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:48 pm

Kouga wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:17 am Toei Animation reports that the results of Dragon Ball's profits are falling and One Piece is back to overtake him. I would say "it makes no sense to produce a new TV series because Dragon Ball continues to sell anyway" is... well, bullshit.

Source: http://corp.toei-anim.co.jp/files/IR/32 ... _keisu.pdf
I believe the argument was that movies instead of a TV show make sense rather than nothing at all. There's nothing happening with the franchise right now while One Piece has a major movie coming up + the anime has just entered a new arc brandishing a spiffy new look. Things are going great for this franchise.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:53 pm

Michsi wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:48 pm
Kouga wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:17 am Toei Animation reports that the results of Dragon Ball's profits are falling and One Piece is back to overtake him. I would say "it makes no sense to produce a new TV series because Dragon Ball continues to sell anyway" is... well, bullshit.

I believe the argument was that movies instead of a TV show make sense rather than nothing at all. There's nothing happening with the franchise right now while One Piece has a major movie coming up + the anime has just entered a new arc brandishing a spiffy new look. Things are going great for this franchise.
Yeah, Dragon Ball anime is dead now.
I know, there is a trash commercial, but it is worse than nothing.

Sykin

Post by Sykin » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:08 pm

There's literally nothing going on with the franchise of course they're falling. Other than some game DLC, there hasn't been any content since the Broly Movie other than a monthly manga chapter.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:21 am

Jord wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:20 am
omegacwa wrote: Wed Dec 31, 1969 8:02 pm

Side Bar: I don't really have interest in another movie. I'll see it for sure, but I feel the the movies for the most part are too narrow in scope and don't really progress anything.
Then you're part of the "problem."
Vote with your wallet.
Cool. I get it but it’s a double edge sword. I want to support a property that I love but at the same time I don’t want to see another “lol Goku wins” movie. Thankfully Broly avoided that but I think you get my point.

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie

Post by louisascommie » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:55 pm

What do I buy to make pan the new main character

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:26 pm

This year is already half way through and all we've got is one offhand mention of a movie. This is pretty upsetting.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:10 am

One Piece Stampede director Takashi Otsuka has today tweeted that production is now complete.
Little over a week away from its theatrical release.
Fingers crossed the staff that were pulled from DB to help can return to Super right away.

https://mobile.twitter.com/takaswy1981/ ... 2810057728

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:40 am

DBZ_Lee wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:10 am One Piece Stampede director Takashi Otsuka has today tweeted that production is now complete.
Fingers crossed the staff that were pulled from DB to help can return to Super right away.

Good lord. The movie has only just finished production... not much over a week before the film itself is meant to be released?

I can't help but feel that is a major red flag to the production One Piece Stampede's being an absolute mess. Also the fact that there has only been one full trailer released so far is quite telling.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:56 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:10 am One Piece Stampede director Takashi Otsuka has today tweeted that production is now complete.

I'm still having trouble believing this. It just feels like an excuse they made on the spot so they wouldn't have to explain themselves.

https://twitter.com/EmperorBigD/status/ ... 6457750528
https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot/stat ... 4863881221

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:32 pm

If they're finishing this late, that kinda lends credibility to the idea that they had to pull people away from other productions (i.e. 2uper) to get it done in time.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:25 pm

So Stampede was announced since December of last year, correct?

1. At what point in the movie's development did Toei supposedly hand over Super's staff to One Piece?

2. If those three are still actively talking to their sources then how far along were the 2.0 staff before they switched over to One Piece? And when did it happen?

3. If it was just preproduction then why was Ajay's predicted announcement date (May 5th) two months before the air date and why was the second anticipated date even closer to July? Keep in mind, Ajay even went to his sources and asked again and they reconfirmed Goku day.

4. If the gap from the announcement and the air date is so small then truly how far along were they? It'd have to be more than preproduction or they'd have a lot of rushing to do over the course of a few months. Would it make the new announcement date come quickly?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:22 pm

Looks like I am getting the last laugh as the so called sources were really bullshit...
It has been months and nobody presented anything, no announcements, just wet dreams.

At least, we can look forward to a potential movie in future :)
Anything else showed up?
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Post by head_cha_la » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:00 pm

I do not see the next DBS movie being announced before the TV series because of the Moro Arc, otherwise people will not understand anything in the timeline of the story unless the Moro Arc is not part of the history of TV series.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:10 am

MCDaveG wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:22 pm Looks like I am getting the last laugh as the so called sources were really bullshit...
It has been months and nobody presented anything, no announcements, just wet dreams.

Anything else showed up?
Really bullshit? No, I think things just changed.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:11 am

Looks like DBS 2.0 ain't happening in Jan 2020 either from December onwards they've gone back to marketing the Trunks arc again...

Both pre & post Broly release the producers talked about movies not a series, Toei denied a new series countless times maybe just maybe the actual people in charge were right all along and not some random YT with their 17 imaginary sources!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:28 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:10 am Really bullshit? No, I think things just changed.
Nothing changed, because there was nothing in the first place. And there will never be, until it's officially announced.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:32 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:10 am
MCDaveG wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:22 pm Looks like I am getting the last laugh as the so called sources were really bullshit...

Anything else showed up?
Really bullshit? No, I think things just changed.
Ahhh...the age old excuse of Internet wizards.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:25 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:11 am Looks like DBS 2.0 ain't happening in Jan 2020 either from December onwards they've gone back to marketing the Trunks arc again...

Both pre & post Broly release the producers talked about movies not a series, Toei denied a new series countless times maybe just maybe the actual people in charge were right all along and not some random YT with their 17 imaginary sources!
Out of curiosity, what would be considered a sign for 2.0 from a merchandise perspective ? I'd think starting to promote something before an announcement of the official show is based on is a bit counterproductive ?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:09 pm

Just wanted to point out that Ryota Nakamura, who served as series director for Super when the Universal Survival arc began with Tatsuya Nagamine and then was the sole series director when Nagamine was appointed as director for DBS Broly, is an assistant director for the One Piece Stampede movie. And it was rumoured that Ryota Nakamura was going to be series the director for Super 2.0. So it's looking more and more like Super 2.0 just ain't happening or if it is, staff were pulled from the production of it to help with the One Piece Stampede movie.