With DragonBall getting more and more global, it's time to include more lgbtqia+ characters

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: With DragonBall getting more and more global, it's time to include more lgbtqia+ characters

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:13 am

I'm gay and I dont think Cap and Bucky are a couple.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: With DragonBall getting more and more global, it's time to include more lgbtqia+ characters

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:17 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:13 am I'm gay and I dont think Cap and Bucky are a couple.
Welcome to fanon, where anyone can be shipped with anyone else.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:26 am

I think a lot of this sort of thing can be chalked up to not enough stuff being aimed at gay people. Much like Twilight's success can be chalked up to not enough geek movies and TV shows aimed at young women.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie

Post by louisascommie » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:36 am

yeah make Bra gay if we ever go past end of z

also remove the last remnants of blackface that still show up in super for some reason.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:58 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:06 am
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:56 am
ABED wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:31 am Apparently men can't be close with each other or emotional without there being gay undertones. I don't think that's a healthy POV.
Save the concern trolling for when I do this with real people, sweetie.
I kindly ask you to please stop with the condescension and calling me sweetie or honey. This was hardly me trolling.
If I was going to condescend you I'd tell you that your goofy queer interpretation of two fictional characters' relationship was not a healthy view. Oh wait, that's what you did to me. My feminine speech patterns are no more condescending than someone saying 'bro' or 'dude'. Do you get upset when men call you those two or 'man' or are you just going to shit a brick out on a feminine woman?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:11 pm

Sweet jesus, I did what to you?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:33 am

sintzu wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:07 pm Dragon Ball should only include characters Toriyama wants to include. DB being global should have nothing to do with how the story is written or what kind of characters make it in. Let's say Toriyama somehow found this topic and agreed with it, who exactly should be added ? lgbt covers a lot of different people so will one be enough to represent the whole group ? if so, then who ? if not, Will Toriyama have to include one character to represent each type of person ? a gay man, a lesbian woman, etc. The minute a writer starts making decisions based on what fans want is the minute the story falls apart.
This is where the topic should of ended.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:18 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:58 pm

I kindly ask you to please stop with the condescension and calling me sweetie or honey. This was hardly me trolling.
If I was going to condescend you I'd tell you that your goofy queer interpretation of two fictional characters' relationship was not a healthy view. Oh wait, that's what you did to me. My feminine speech patterns are no more condescending than someone saying 'bro' or 'dude'. Do you get upset when men call you those two or 'man' or are you just going to shit a brick out on a feminine woman?
....huh?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:47 am

My feminine speech patterns are no more condescending than someone saying 'bro' or 'dude'. Do you get upset when men call you those two or 'man' or are you just going to shit a brick out on a feminine woman?
Please just respect other users instead of comparing it with other unwanted behaviour. There is no need to 'justify' the tone you use.
Abed is asking it very respectfully so it would be great if you'd just respect that.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:53 am

lmao what?

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:33 am

I guess not everyone wants to be called sweetie or honey by a stranger man in a dress. Sorry I had to say that, I hope I won't get banned for being politically incorrect. I just feel the same as ABED, cause you called me sweetie on the second page of this topic and that was weird. Please, don't do this again.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:46 am

you can disagree with people without being straight up transphobic .
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:52 am

Mnich wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:33 am I guess not everyone wants to be called sweetie or honey by a stranger man in a dress. Sorry I had to say that, I hope I won't get banned for being politically incorrect. I just feel the same as ABED, cause you called me sweetie on the second page of this topic and that was weird. Please, don't do this again.
"I know this is wrong, I'm going to apologize, but I'm not really apologizing, haha, let's see if I get away with this I guess??????" is a weird fucking route to go.

But yeah, account strike issued for transphobia, sweetie.

Also, Julie, what even here?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:22 pm

Since a lot of the characters never talk about their romantic preferences anyway, it's not like it'd even be erasure to make a pre-existing character gay, like someone from one of the other universes, or even just a Universe 7 character like Tien.

Obviously representation stuff shouldn't be high on the priority list for Toriyama/Toyotaro or else it might come off forced, but it'd be really cool if they did add some LGBT character, considering Toriyama's history of being kinda offensive towards that demographic (General Blue)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:26 pm

Eh, my point stands. I said everything I had to say. Should I have ignored their post entirely? Probably.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:47 pm

This is the same type of thread I see on the Overwatch forums constantly.