Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:48 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:56 am
WittyUsername wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:10 pm I don’t know how unpopular this one is, but I prefer the names FUNimation gave for the movies than the ones Toei gave. Sure, some of the names were really basic, like Lord Slug and Super Android 13, but they at least felt more like actual movie titles, and they’re much less vague than a lot of the Japanese titles.
Same. Generic Titles like “Super Battle in the world” sound more like episode titles and tell you absolutely nothing. At least Tree of Might gives you an idea on what you’re gonna be watching.
Movie 13 is the worst at that. All the Japanese ones feel like they came up with the title before the concept, but with that one it was like they ended it the way they did purely to justify the title. It's like they wrote this interesting and in-depth story about Tapion, Hirudegarn and Trunks with barely anything to do with Goku, then realised "shit, we called it 'If Goku Can't Do It, Who Will?' Quick, draw him doing some stupid punch that looks like Shen Long and make that the ending!"

I'm pretty open when it comes to sub vs dubisms, but using Japanese movie titles are more trouble than their worth. Same with using Kuririn instead of Krillin, at least verbally. I know the former is more accurate, but it's a six-lane pileup of the vocal chords.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:12 am

if you say kuririn fast enough it does pretty much come out as krillin which i've always thought was kinda funny.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:23 am

I think Funimation's movie titles lack the imagination of the original titles. Especially after the Pioneer era, where they just seem to use the villain's name.
Kataphrut wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:48 am I'm pretty open when it comes to sub vs dubisms, but using Japanese movie titles are more trouble than their worth.
Personally I would just use the movie number before I would use the dub titles.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:53 am

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:23 am I think Funimation's movie titles lack the imagination of the original titles. Especially after the Pioneer era, where they just seem to use the villain's name.
Kataphrut wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:48 am I'm pretty open when it comes to sub vs dubisms, but using Japanese movie titles are more trouble than their worth.
Personally I would just use the movie number before I would use the dub titles.
The titles were long and told the audience nothing. What's wrong with using the antagonist's name for the title? Many movie titles are named after the main character, so what's wrong with them being named after the villain?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:10 am

ABED wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:53 am What's wrong with using the antagonist's name for the title?
In the first Broly movie, it's supposed to be a whole reveal that Broly is the one who's the Legendary Super Saiyan, even if that fact is pretty obvious. The Funimation movie title completely spoils that and removes the (possible) surprise. So in cases where you aren't supposed to know who the villain is at first, it's not always too clever to use their name as the movie title. Though the Dragon Ball movies don't really have this issue and the first Broly movie is the only one that's close.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:18 am

sunsetshimmer wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:09 pm DBS didn't need Zamasu arc to exist at all. It wouldn't change anything as this arc didn't introduce anything relevant and didn't even affect main timeline. Hakai could've been easily introduced when dwarf god of destruction tried to kill Frieza
That Hakai didn't even look like Toriyama's version of Hakai, which is supposed to erase you on the spot. Since when is it a purple ball?
Beerus' Hakai is the only one that's correct.

As fun as the episode was, it also brought plenty of nonsense that was never mentioned again (Quitela and Sidra's teamwork, they didnt' even interact in ToP)

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:19 am

ABED wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:53 amThe titles were long and told the audience nothing.
The length was no different than the standard episode titles. I disagree that they told the audience nothing. They told just enough to catch the audience's attention without giving away the plot or antagonist.
What's wrong with using the antagonist's name for the title? Many movie titles are named after the main character, so what's wrong with them being named after the villain?
It's just lazy and uninspired. That's the kind of thing that fans do when referencing the movies, not something that should be used for an actual movie title.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:24 am

They told the audience literally nothing. "Burn Up!! A Close Fight - A Violent Fight - A Super Fierce Fight" could apply to any DB movie and any number of other films.
MyVisionity wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:19 amIt's just lazy and uninspired. That's the kind of thing that fans do when referencing the movies, not something that should be used for an actual movie title.
So is using a bunch of generic adjectives and buzzwords for a long title. They are the titles of a movie, not episodes. Generally people don't remember episode titles. They remember movie titles. Movie titles should be memorable. It's marketing.

Alruneia, fine, call it "The Legendary Super Saiyan". But it should be noted that JPN episode titles gave away huge plot points all the time.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:31 am

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:19 am disagree that they told the audience nothing. They told just enough to catch the audience's attention without giving away the plot or antagonist.
The fact that you can switch Z movies 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, and 11's Japanese movie titles around almost randomly, and change absolutely nothing becase of how vague they are, that's a problem in my book. Sure, the dub titles can be kind of lame by just using the villain's name, but at least it's not completely generic.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:42 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:31 am
MyVisionity wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:19 am disagree that they told the audience nothing. They told just enough to catch the audience's attention without giving away the plot or antagonist.
The fact that you can switch Z movies 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, and 11's Japanese movie titles around almost randomly, and change absolutely nothing becase of how vague they are, that's a problem in my book. Sure, the dub titles can be kind of lame by just using the villain's name, but at least it's not completely generic.

Z movie 2 Japanese title and English title are almost the exact same thing. The World’s Strongest Guy vs The World’s Strongest.

Z movie 4 “Super Saiyajin Son Goku” refers to Goku becoming Super Saiyajin for the first time (at the time since it got overridden by actual Super Saiyajin)

Z movie 6’s title is...not that great but 10,000,000,000 powerful warriors almost certainly refers to the Metal Coolers copies. I’d hardly consider it interchangeable with most of the other movies.

Of the Japanese titles Z movie 3,5, 8-11 are the only ones that actually feel generic and interchangeable.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:06 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:42 pm

Z movie 2 Japanese title and English title are almost the exact same thing. The World’s Strongest Guy vs The World’s Strongest.

Z movie 4 “Super Saiyajin Son Goku” refers to Goku becoming Super Saiyajin for the first time (at the time since it got overridden by actual Super Saiyajin)

Z movie 6’s title is...not that great but 10,000,000,000 powerful warriors almost certainly refers to the Metal Coolers copies. I’d hardly consider it interchangeable with most of the other movies.

Of the Japanese titles Z movie 3,5, 8-11 are the only ones that actually feel generic and interchangeable.
Ok yeah I forgot about Meta Cooler's Japanese title. And I'll give you World's Strongest too.

As for Z movie 4, "Super Saiyan Son Goku" is a bad title because SSJ doesnt even appear. You could put it in any of the others I mentioned because SSJ Goku is always the final hit anyway.

Regardless, 7 out of 13 movie titles being interchangable is still really stupid.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:36 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:42 pm Z movie 2 Japanese title and English title are almost the exact same thing. The World’s Strongest Guy vs The World’s Strongest.
At least with The World's Strongest, there is a relevance to the story since Dr. Wheelo is trying to steal the body of the strongest person on Earth.

If they are going to use a generic title, I'd rather it be straight and to the point, like "Mystical Adventure" or the aformentioned "The World's Strongest".

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:31 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:42 pm

Calling DBZ Movie 4 “Super Saiyan Son Goku” is still somewhat misleading, considering that the titular “Super Saiyan” is treated as nothing more than an afterthought in the movie. “Lord Slug” isn’t exactly an inventive title, but it at least doesn’t come across as a cheap marketing ploy, which is what the Japanese title for the movie essentially was. At the very least, titling the movie after the antagonist makes a lot more sense than titling it after some relatively pointless transformation.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:09 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:24 am They told the audience literally nothing. "Burn Up!! A Close Fight - A Violent Fight - A Super Fierce Fight" could apply to any DB movie and any number of other films.
"Burn Up!! A Red-Hot, Raging, Super-Fierce Fight" or whichever translation you prefer is actually one of my favorite titles. It tells the audience that the battle featured will be an extremely intense and trying ordeal. It's not your ordinary fight. The terms used invoke the feeling of overwhelming hot temperatures and extreme endurance. I'm not sure if the other battles from other movies compare.
Movie titles should be memorable. It's marketing.
I suppose if you're talking about marketing in the West, that might be the case. In Japan these movies were created for special festivals showcasing Toei's various properties for children. I doubt they cared too much about the marketing aspect.

As for FUNimation's marketing, I just think they could have tried harder than simply taking the villain's name for a title. It worked well enough for the first three Z movies. Like instead of "Return of Cooler", why not "Big Gete Star"? Or instead of "Broly - Second Coming", "Dangerous Duo"?
Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:31 am Sure, the dub titles can be kind of lame by just using the villain's name, but at least it's not completely generic.
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:42 pm Of the Japanese titles Z movie 3,5, 8-11 are the only ones that actually feel generic and interchangeable.
I disagree that the titles are generic and interchangeable. They all reference the plot in some particular manner. And even if some of them could possibly be interchangeable with others, I'd say it's worth it for the sake of a bit more imagination from both the writers and the audience.

It's not like this doesn't happen in fiction all of the time. Take something like Star Wars for example.
WittyUsername wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:31 pm Calling DBZ Movie 4 “Super Saiyan Son Goku” is still somewhat misleading, considering that the titular “Super Saiyan” is treated as nothing more than an afterthought in the movie.
No more misleading than something like "Dead Zone", which I think is a nice title.
At the very least, titling the movie after the antagonist makes a lot more sense than titling it after some relatively pointless transformation.
I'd say the Super Saiyan transformation is significant enough to warrant a title. Even if it was executed as an afterthought. But again, you have writers who are willing to break convention and think outside of the box with titles like "Dead Zone" and "Super Saiyajin Son Goku", or "Burn Up..." etc., which I think is a bit healthier for the audience's imagination and overall psychology. The marketing aspect however is another matter entirely.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:25 pm

return and revenge of cooler are actually like really silly titles, i'm fine with most of the dub titles (though i prefer just saying the number) but those two can be a little confusing for newcomers.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:16 pm

It's not your ordinary fight. The terms used invoke the feeling of overwhelming hot temperatures and extreme endurance. I'm not sure if the other battles from other movies compare.
So like every big boss battle in DB. Those titles tell us nothing. And I'm not a fan of your suggested alternate titles. They sound silly and tell us nothing. Return of Cooler is a much more evocative title. Sorry if this sounds overly harsh but why do you care so much about having an "imaginative" title?
They all reference the plot in some particular manner.
No they don't. They tell us there's a fight, which we already know going in. It's Dragon Ball after all. The titles of the TV specials are much better, but still on the long side. "A Final, Solitary Battle - The Z Warrior Son Goku's Father Challenges Freeza" is okay.
Lonely Final Battle
is a better idea. It's to the point, not generic, relevant to the story
I'd say it's worth it for the sake of a bit more imagination from both the writers and the audience.

It's not like this doesn't happen in fiction all of the time. Take something like Star Wars for example.
Having a long title full of filler words and adjectives that tell us nothing isn't imaginative. It's silly. Star Wars is simple, memorable, thematically relevant, and to the point. I don't want titles that are long and unmemorable. I also don't care about unimaginative titles. Titles should be to the point and either the name of the main character or thematically relevant. DB is a story about fighting, so what the hell do those titles tell us? Lastly, they're titles! They aren't mind expanding stories. I fail to see how long titles are somehow healthy for the imagination and psychology.
return and revenge of cooler are actually like really silly titles
How are they silly beyond the name of the character?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:40 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:16 pm
Given he said they were confusing, I'm assuming he means the often-touted complaint that *both* of them sound like sequels. "Return" and "Revenge" are two of the most common words tacked on to sequels, which can and does lead to confusion over which one comes first.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:57 pm

I only think its confusing if you ignore that one of them has Return in the title. Indicating its a follow up appearance. Like, why would his first appearance be his return?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:02 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:57 pm I only think its confusing if you ignore that one of them has Return in the title. Indicating its a follow up appearance. Like, why would his first appearance be his return?
Yeah i mean Revenge vs Return, it is indeed confusing to some degree given the former is Cooler's debut.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:07 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:40 pm
ABED wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:16 pm
Given he said they were confusing, I'm assuming he means the often-touted complaint that *both* of them sound like sequels. "Return" and "Revenge" are two of the most common words tacked on to sequels, which can and does lead to confusion over which one comes first.
But the people watching those movies aren't newbies. They have to know it's Freeza's brother, so the obvious conclusion is he wants revenge for his brother's death.