Should Z get yet another redub in English?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Should Z get yet another redub in English?

Post by gokaiblue » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:06 pm

They missed their chance twice: Once in 2005 and another in 2010 with Kai. I think it's too late in the game for them to redub Z. If the rights for Z ever lapse, I doubt we'll get a redub.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:29 pm

gokaiblue wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:06 pm They missed their chance twice: Once in 2005 and another in 2010 with Kai. I think it's too late in the game for them to redub Z. If the rights for Z ever lapse, I doubt we'll get a redub.
Not sure if they really missed their chance with Kai other than not going far enough with the recasting.

2005 when they went back to redo the first 67 episodes was definitely an opportunity for a total do over. Could have made the remastered season sets from 2007 an actual new and improved dub and then just re-release the old crappier nostalgic dub all 276/277 episodes as part of Rock the Dragon or whatever so you can still appease that fandom (and probably make way more money)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:13 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:29 pm
gokaiblue wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:06 pm They missed their chance twice: Once in 2005 and another in 2010 with Kai. I think it's too late in the game for them to redub Z. If the rights for Z ever lapse, I doubt we'll get a redub.
Not sure if they really missed their chance with Kai other than not going far enough with the recasting.

2005 when they went back to redo the first 67 episodes was definitely an opportunity for a total do over. Could have made the remastered season sets from 2007 an actual new and improved dub and then just re-release the old crappier nostalgic dub all 276/277 episodes as part of Rock the Dragon or whatever so you can still appease that fandom (and probably make way more money)
I definitely enjoy Kai for what it is, especially given that FUNi's dub is a vast improvement over the old Z dub from both a voice and script standpoint. Yeah it's true that some of the questionable castings from back in the day still stood (I.e. Schemmel's Kaio.etc) but all in all they definitely made it show for the most part that they'd improved on both fronts in the course of about a decade since first coming into the series, and the recasts they did make especially with some like Chris Ayres taking over as Freeza were definitely good moves at trying to stay truer to the original. It's as mentioned previously my personal preferred version of choice for watching the series in English over the in house DBZ dub of old, i really like that they tried much harder there and showed a level of faithfulness which has only been seen briefly in spurts before ('97-'98 dubs of Z movies 1-3, movie 8 dub) and that makes for a much better viewing experience whereas with Z proper i just elect to watch the Japanese version because of said old dub's heavy inaccuracies and changes.

Definitely agree in regard to the Ultimate Uncut redub of the Saiyan and Namek episodes, if only they'd been at the Kai level back in 2005 rather than reusing the scripts almost wholesale from the edited version with the Ocean cast from just under a decade earlier, albeit with those changes to correct some of the most blatantly inaccurate dialogue (the "your father was a brilliant scientist" bit, Goku thinking it was Vegeta who killed Grandpa Gohan rather than himself.etc) but the aforementioned re use of said scripts really weighed it down and made the new dub less than it could have been, and even more so for the 2007 OB re dub which was very inconsistent and haphazardly done with most but not all of the voices re done (Sabat re dubbing his "Drummond impression" Vegeta but Sean Schemmel's inital 1999 Goku remaining the same) so they only halfway got it as far as the Season 3 part goes. Then of course they stopped somewhere at around Trunks' arrival so it really almost feels like a wasted effort that they didn't go all the way, and that's where i believe a complete re dub would have been great. Then as you mention a Rock the Dragon style release that includes the original 1999-2003 version for those fans who grew up watching that on Toonami as kids, and as such have a nostalgia for the dub despite it being badly aged and crappily acted given it was the early days of the in house cast.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:11 pm

Definitely agree. Kai is the best we're ever going to get. There were still some minor issues though in regards to casting and attack names (plus, they still skim over Piccolo's demonic origins). In a perfect world, Kai would have corrected all of the past errors. Saiyan would be pronounced correctly along with Son Gokū, Japanese attack names would be kept, Kaio-sama would have a good voice, and Son would be used more.

As much as I love Kai's English (I adore it), I just wish they went further with some of the recasting and scripting. They definitely should have redubbed the series back in 05-07, especially for the UUE where they just reused their old scripts.

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:14 pm

gokaiblue wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:11 pm

Definitely agree. Kai is the best we're ever going to get. There were still some minor issues though in regards to casting and attack names (plus, they still skim over Piccolo's demonic origins). In a perfect world, Kai would have corrected all of the past errors. Saiyan would be pronounced correctly along with Son Gokū, Japanese attack names would be kept, Kaio-sama would have a good voice, and Son would be used more.

As much as I love Kai's English (I adore it), I just wish they went further with some of the recasting and scripting. They definitely should have redubbed the series back in 05-07, especially for the UUE where they just reused their old scripts.
Still though, even with those noted imperfections Kai is by far the best dub work that FUNi has put out as related to Dragon Ball in their history of having the rights to the franchise. Could it still be better in those areas as in a push for full on accuracy to the source? Yes it definitely could. However, with that said at the same time the show is good enough as is that i can actually watch it in English and not constantly cringe or groan like whenever i've tried to re watch the old Z dub in recent history. Quite simply, they put much more effort into it compared to the prior dubs from a script and acting standpoint. I surely would have liked if they'd went all out on the accuracy, but as it stands they still did a great deal better there than could have been imagined when first taking over back in 1999.

The UUE and partial Orange Brick re dub were indeed rather unfortunate with how they came out, because rehashing the same exact scripts (with those corrections and replacements as mentioned previously) from back in 1996 and onward really was to the detriment of the final product. If they had just been to the level of Kai in those areas at the time in 2005 and continued onward with the rest of the series, then it wouldn't be such a convoluted mess with the inconsistent voice performances and everything else.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:30 pm

It seems like this question has been asked a lot recently. Anyway, I say no. There’s no reason to do that when Kai already filled that role. Unless some people absolutely want to see a more accurate dub of something like the Garlic Jr. arc, I can’t even think of who the audience for that would be.

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:27 pm

I mean... quality-wise the Funi crew has improved a lot since the Z dub, and it'd be nice to have a more accurate version with the current cast at their best. I don't think it's necessary, and it'd likely be too expensive for them to really consider (especially since they're still making a tidy profit re-releasing their original dub). But I would be pretty curious to see what they'd do if they had another shot at the whole Z series.

I'm not too bothered either way, though. But if Kai didn't exist, I'd definitely say "yes".

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:10 pm

I wouldn't single out Z; all the pre-Kai dubs under Funimation sucked.

DB, Z, and GT are all in desperate need of a proper redub that will never happen.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dark Vegeta-Sama
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dark Vegeta-Sama » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:40 am

KBABZ wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:42 pmThis also doesn't fall into redub territory since it's more on the Toei side, but I'd rebuy Kai all over again if the Kikuchi score had the original Z placement of the music tracks, insert songs aside like Over the Star (which I feel were worthy additions).
Not possible because of the way that Kai is edited. With Kai, you're dealing with far less footage, with much quicker editing and scene transition. A huge amount of the scenes in Z (particularly filler material) just don't exist in Kai. Where is the music supposed to sync up to, exactly?

Kikuchi's score was made for the much slower-paced Dragonball Z. Kai is a different animal. It's a faster-paced re-edit, so original placement of Kikuchi's score simply isn't possible. The accompanying footage you would need literally doesn't exist in the finished product.

And if it did, what would be the point? Then it's just Dragonball Z, which you can already watch any time in its original form.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:03 pm

Dark Vegeta-Sama wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:40 am
KBABZ wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:42 pmThis also doesn't fall into redub territory since it's more on the Toei side, but I'd rebuy Kai all over again if the Kikuchi score had the original Z placement of the music tracks, insert songs aside like Over the Star (which I feel were worthy additions).
Not possible because of the way that Kai is edited. With Kai, you're dealing with far less footage, with much quicker editing and scene transition. A huge amount of the scenes in Z (particularly filler material) just don't exist in Kai. Where is the music supposed to sync up to, exactly?

Kikuchi's score was made for the much slower-paced Dragonball Z. Kai is a different animal. It's a faster-paced re-edit, so original placement of Kikuchi's score simply isn't possible. The accompanying footage you would need literally doesn't exist in the finished product.

And if it did, what would be the point? Then it's just Dragonball Z, which you can already watch any time in its original form.
I still think it can work. And if it doesn't, well, I'll find out when I eventually get around to trying, right?

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:24 am

Yes, I absolutely think it needs a total redub. The FUNimation dub has too many deep-seated problems that will never go away. Kai 1.0 was good, but what I want is a company that has absolutely zero concerns about the existing FUNi/Ocean/Whoever crowd being upset and simply makes script and casting choices that respect the original material. And yes, I'd want them to completely start from scratch when it comes to casting.

There is an alternate universe where this happened. I'm sure of it.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:53 am

If you'd want Z to get a very accurate re-dub, Viz should be the one to dub it, not Funimation. While Funimation can do accurate dubs like with Kai, they also like to take liberties with their scripts. For example, they've gotten criticism for a particular line in their dub of Prison School.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:08 pm

Forte224 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:24 am Yes, I absolutely think it needs a total redub. The FUNimation dub has too many deep-seated problems that will never go away. Kai 1.0 was good, but what I want is a company that has absolutely zero concerns about the existing FUNi/Ocean/Whoever crowd being upset and simply makes script and casting choices that respect the original material. And yes, I'd want them to completely start from scratch when it comes to casting.

There is an alternate universe where this happened. I'm sure of it.
If this cast hadn't gotten to level they are now, I too would want a new dub to be with a completely new cast. However, the Funimation cast have come leaps and bounds from even the Kai days (Schemmel's performance as Gokū in Xenoverse truly shows this) that if they had to reinterpret their characters to be more in line with the Japanese version, they would do so with flying colors. Hell, Sabat arguably already did that in Kai.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:12 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:10 pm I wouldn't single out Z; all the pre-Kai dubs under Funimation sucked.

DB, Z, and GT are all in desperate need of a proper redub that will never happen.
This. At the very least if Z should get a redub the original Dragon Ball should be first priority as it was almost just as bad at Z’s dub half the time and was just butchering things by the Daimao arc.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:52 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:53 am If you'd want Z to get a very accurate re-dub, Viz should be the one to dub it, not Funimation. While Funimation can do accurate dubs like with Kai, they also like to take liberties with their scripts. For example, they've gotten criticism for a particular line in their dub of Prison School.
Didn’t they get rid of that line you’re referring to in later releases?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:56 pm

In my opinion, if FUNi could just spend a year or so redubbing the series for their "With Japanese Music" track. The track with the US replacement score can stay with the old shitty dub, since most people with nostalgia for that dub aren't watching with the Japanese score & the people who'd want the new dub wouldn't bother watching it with the replacement score anyways.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:53 pm

I'm all for it if its Speedy dub😂😂😂

We pathetic mortals wud be blessed with another round of awesometacular dub from studio that gave us "uncle motong, ur brain has been damagely corrupted, i did not cum here to hump you, do whtever you like goose" kinda unbelibable 😂😂😂lines (Salza reference there)

Unintended comedies are the best imo. Why should dbz be all action...especially with Z, AT's brand of humor became sparse (maybe till Boo Arc)

Speedy dub always cracks me up for good reasons. I really want their Cooler voice actor to voice Perfect Cell. Would be dope (I will ressuract many times with MOAR STRANG😂😂😂)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:20 am

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:52 pm
8000 Saiyan wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:53 am If you'd want Z to get a very accurate re-dub, Viz should be the one to dub it, not Funimation. While Funimation can do accurate dubs like with Kai, they also like to take liberties with their scripts. For example, they've gotten criticism for a particular line in their dub of Prison School.
Didn’t they get rid of that line you’re referring to in later releases?
They did get rid of it.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.