What's wrong with Toyotaro's necks?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyanTarzan
Not-So-Newbie

What's wrong with Toyotaro's necks?

Post by SaiyanTarzan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:27 am

I've noticed lately how Toyotaro draws characters with their neck slumped forward and down, it's so odd, it looks like their necks have broken. It's very noticeable on the latest "Toyotaro drew it" thing with Zarbon looking like his head is too heavy for him. I don't remember Toriyama drawing characters with their necks slumped like that, at least not that far.

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Re: What's wrong with Toyotaro's necks?

Post by Omniboy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:29 am

Not sure. Although then again that always seemed like a signature pose he would often use. I'm sure he has been using it for a while, and there are often times where I feel like he does exaggerate it a bit to much. I don't mind that Toriyama didn't do it. Doing his own thing is what he should be doing.

That said however, Toyo does need to work on his anatomy more. And sadly the neck is one of those areas that he needs to work on more, especially in other poses.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:25 pm

No artist is perfect. Toyotaro makes mistakes while trying to be dynamic. Sometimes his dramatic poses involve skewing anatomy. I honestly don't think it's a big deal at all.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:02 am

I think the more muscular characters tend to have that weird neck thing going on some of the time anyway, along with some kind of strange back curve. These can both be found across manga, anime, promo artwork etc.

Somehow, these characteristics have even managed to make their way into some sculpts for the toys... !

This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:46 am

Yeah this neck thing seems to be doing the rounds.
It seems to have (noticeably) become a thing with Toriayama's art around the Kanzenban releases? Though it isn't too extreme there.
Since then it seems to have become something of a staple, but because Toriyama is a really great artist he can pull it off very well, it can really give a character a really imposing presence.
Not to throw shade at Toyataro, I know he gets enough of it as it, but it seems like he tries to replicate what he sees without having the fundamentals down, so he has a tendency to over-do things, like with his recent Zarbon sketch. So it ends up looking like Zarbon needs to sort out his desk posture.
I should also mention that other Dragon Ball related artists have tried to incorporate this new element of Toriyama's posture into their works, Yamamuro has had a crack of it, with the results being a sort of middle ground between Toriyama/Taro. Half back ache, half badass.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:06 pm

Is it really just the necks that bother you in his art? The title should be "What's wrong with Toyotaro's drawing skills?" As a professional manga artist, he is bad in so many ways. He knows very little about human anatomy.