Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:38 pm

coola wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:17 am After Movies Blu-Rays, with not only looked worse than DBOX The Movies on DVD, but were also censored, i wouldnt count on good Blu-Ray release from Toei.
The Kai: TFC BRs have a MUCH better remaster than anything FUNimation have done, short of the levels, in 12 years of "remasters." I'll take my chances. Just undo the cropping & correct the green tint & those remasters look acceptable, even good.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:26 am

Danfun64 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:52 pm Didn't the Amazon JP masters look better, considering they kept the grain intact and all?
Yea, the movies blurays had dnr and the classic toei green tint
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:25 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:58 am Does anyone know how the footage from Funimation's recent "Dragon Ball Z 30th Anniversary Retrospective" stacks up against other footage? Do you guys think that they're using footage from the new set?

https://youtu.be/LbidPaHYBk4
https://youtu.be/wVB434VFwJc
https://youtu.be/_nJqNSNp4Ao
This is definitely footage from the new remasters. The first video has vhs filters put on top of it but it won't have that on the actual release, I'm sure.

And there's also Funimation seemingly ignoring the fact that there's more to DBZ's history than their dub of it but what else is new?

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:02 am

bigray wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:16 pm
samuraix123 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:34 pm I personally can't wait to have this in my collection a long with my Dragonboxes. but Funimation has one of the sorriest customer services I have seen. They removed the ''Guest sign in'' option so now I can't check the status of my package to make sure everything is still good with it. messaged em twice...never bothered responding back. tried to call them, leave a message and they'll get back to you. like what? :lol: Gone are the days when you call and get to talk to a sweet little old lady that can't read the monitor because she forgot her glasses :lol: :lol:
I'm currently having the same problem. I sent them an email to say I moved houses and my shipping address has changed. It's been 2 weeks and no reply. Have to message them again
You should message them on Facebook or even Twitter they respond within a few hours through this medium at least that is my experience. 😊

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:14 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:02 am
bigray wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:16 pm
samuraix123 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:34 pm I personally can't wait to have this in my collection a long with my Dragonboxes. but Funimation has one of the sorriest customer services I have seen. They removed the ''Guest sign in'' option so now I can't check the status of my package to make sure everything is still good with it. messaged em twice...never bothered responding back. tried to call them, leave a message and they'll get back to you. like what? :lol: Gone are the days when you call and get to talk to a sweet little old lady that can't read the monitor because she forgot her glasses :lol: :lol:
I'm currently having the same problem. I sent them an email to say I moved houses and my shipping address has changed. It's been 2 weeks and no reply. Have to message them again
You should message them on Facebook or even Twitter they respond within a few hours through this medium at least that is my experience. 😊
They finally got back to me. Only took them 16 days 😂

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:02 am

Funimation's customer service must be a guy with a Google Voice number forwarded to his cell phone. 16 days? Leave a message? Come on, Funimation; step it up. All resolved?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:05 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:02 am Funimation's customer service must be a guy with a Google Voice number forwarded to his cell phone. 16 days? Leave a message? Come on, Funimation; step it up. All resolved?
WTF seriously, 16 days to respond to a call??? Man that's some crap customer service there at FUNi. :lol:
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:22 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:02 am Funimation's customer service must be a guy with a Google Voice number forwarded to his cell phone. 16 days? Leave a message? Come on, Funimation; step it up. All resolved?
Na, they wanted my order number then said due to the nature of the claim they have to escalate it so it could take a while... Not sure how long that means if their regular reply is 16day 😂

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:10 pm

I've known about Funi's awful customer service for a while. After I literally couldn't comment on the crap anniversary BDs months ago, I knew something was up. I originally went on /r/funimation looking for weird Vic stans to screenshot and/or fuck with, but by-and-large it's people having serious problems with the service and nobody helping them.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:50 pm

Shaddy wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:10 pm I've known about Funi's awful customer service for a while. After I literally couldn't comment on the crap anniversary BDs months ago, I knew something was up. I originally went on /r/funimation looking for weird Vic stans to screenshot and/or fuck with, but by-and-large it's people having serious problems with the service and nobody helping them.
OMG, their customer services really are that lousy. That's just.... wow. :shock:

Trachta10
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trachta10 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:23 am

my attempt to beat this version upscaling a screenshot

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:24 pm

After watching Project A-Ko and few other shows released by Discotek, i really wish Toei woudl take license away from half baked Funimation and gave it to more competent company, who surely wouldnt release such poor quality product :(
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:43 pm

coola wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:24 pm After watching Project A-Ko and few other shows released by Discotek, i really wish Toei would take license away from half baked Funimation and gave it to more competent company, who surely wouldn't release such poor quality product :(
I mean, I don't think the license should be ripped from them wholesale because of some bad releases. However, Toei, or someone who actually cares, NEEDS to step in & force FUNi to actually make a home release worth a damn, or get another company to handle it. Hell, get Q-Tec to do it. Though their work on Kai (color correction, tracing, etc) is hit or miss, I think just having them remaster the footage would be great.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:08 pm

Scsigs wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:43 pm
coola wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:24 pm After watching Project A-Ko and few other shows released by Discotek, i really wish Toei would take license away from half baked Funimation and gave it to more competent company, who surely wouldn't release such poor quality product :(
I mean, I don't think the license should be ripped from them wholesale because of some bad releases. However, Toei, or someone who actually cares, NEEDS to step in & force FUNi to actually make a home release worth a damn, or get another company to handle it. Hell, get Q-Tec to do it. Though their work on Kai (color correction, tracing, etc) is hit or miss, I think just having them remaster the footage would be great.
The thing is, much as Funi has been giving us sucky dubbing work, awful releases, and all the other bad things they've done for 25 years, they make a lot of money for Toei, and Toei don't give a rat's ass what they're doing as long as it makes a good amount of money... So Toei really don't care, and they are never going to take that license away from Funi unless they, somehow, utterly tank their profits and/or close down.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:25 pm

Most of Funimation’s releases have been bad. It’s not just some. Most egregious is with Z which is really confusing since Z is suppose to be their crown jewel or whatever.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:49 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:25 pm
Most of Funimation’s releases have been bad. It’s not just some. Most egregious is with Z which is really confusing since Z is suppose to be their crown jewel or whatever.
Really the only releases of theirs for DBZ that i even consider actually acceptable are the Dragon Boxes which are long out of print and ridiculously expensive, and the Level sets that sadly got canned after just two volumes out of the planned eighteen. The rest have significant flaws and downsides that really weigh them down.

Bilingual single volumes: Low episode count, compression/artifacting.etc

Ultimate Uncut Edition: Canceled before completion, rest of Saiyan arc and entire Namek arc unavailable uncut in single format

Orange Bricks: DNR'ed to oblivion, cropped to fake 16:9 aspect ratio

Season BDs: Mostly same as above

30th Anniversary: Almost same as previous aside from proper aspect ratio

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:27 am

Scsigs wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:43 pm However, Toei, or someone who actually cares, NEEDS to step in & force FUNi to actually make a home release worth a damn, or get another company to handle it.
This is another problem. Toei isn't that "someone who actually cares". That's the company that did all of Boo Kai cropped and with a green tint and then released censored movies. I want to say that if Toei had any desire to release the original Z series with a proper HD restoration, they would've already done it years ago.

Personally, I think Funimation's new remaster looks better than Boo Kai, if only because it doesn't have that cropping and tint.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:46 am

SqueakyBoots wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:27 am
Scsigs wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:43 pm However, Toei, or someone who actually cares, NEEDS to step in & force FUNi to actually make a home release worth a damn, or get another company to handle it.
This is another problem. Toei isn't that "someone who actually cares". That's the company that did all of Boo Kai cropped and with a green tint and then released censored movies. I want to say that if Toei had any desire to release the original Z series with a proper HD restoration, they would've already done it years ago.

Personally, I think Funimation's new remaster looks better than Boo Kai, if only because it doesn't have that cropping and tint.
I'd rather have a slight green tint for no reason over bright watercolors! At least THEN, the colors wouldn't be smeared to hell & back.

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:11 am

The 30th Anniversary Box Set will be released in the UK. Limited to 750 units and sold exclusively via the FUNimation UK store.

https://www.mangauk.com/dragon-ball-z-o ... ay-box-set

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:21 am

Scavenger wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:11 am The 30th Anniversary Box Set will be released in the UK. Limited to 750 units and sold exclusively via the FUNimation UK store.

https://www.mangauk.com/dragon-ball-z-o ... ay-box-set
Had a hunch it was coming but was thinking Manga UK would wait for the standard edition.

Interesting to see how many preorder this gets as it will be DBZ's first UK Blu-Ray release
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: