Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:21 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:02 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:57 pm I only think its confusing if you ignore that one of them has Return in the title. Indicating its a follow up appearance. Like, why would his first appearance be his return?
Yeah i mean Revenge vs Return, it is indeed confusing to some degree given the former is Cooler's debut.
Again I’m not sure why this is confusing. If you know one is called Revenge of Cooler and the other is Return of Cooler it’s a safe bet that the Return comes second

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:36 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:16 pm And I'm not a fan of your suggested alternate titles. They sound silly and tell us nothing. Return of Cooler is a much more evocative title.
Are "Big Gete Star" and "Dangerous Duo" really any sillier than "Tree of Might" and "World's Strongest"? I say that if FUNimation is going to change the original Japanese titles, then at least put a bit of thought into it. I mean something like "Lord Slugg" is just about the most dumbed down title I can think of. "Return of Cooler" is way too simplistic as well. If I see the title "Big Gete Star", I might say to myself "WTF is a Big Gete Star? I need to watch this movie".
Star Wars is simple, memorable, thematically relevant, and to the point.
I meant titles like "Return of the Jedi" or "Revenge of the Sith", which could possibly describe just about every other Star Wars movie.
I fail to see how long titles are somehow healthy for the imagination and psychology.
Perhaps not significantly healthy, but comparatively healthier than FUNi's more simple-minded titles. Movie titles, like a movie poster or soundtrack, can spark the viewer's imagination in any untold number of ways. They don't necessarily have to, but why not apply that kind of effort for the audience if the opportunity exists.

"Burn Up!! A Red-Hot, Raging, Super-Fierce Fight" makes me imagine the characters traveling to the ends of outer space and engaging in some kind of all-out nonstop battle with an enemy. It evokes the imagery of flames and fire, which can signify an extra-ordinary kind of battle epic in proportions. It also makes me think of bright sunlight and intense heat, which obviously touches audiences' imaginations in various ways. Of course, this is just how I'm affected by a title like that and it would naturally vary from person to person.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:40 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:57 pm I only think its confusing if you ignore that one of them has Return in the title. Indicating its a follow up appearance. Like, why would his first appearance be his return?
well if someone who had never seen the movies before, why would his first appearance be his revenge ? like yeah if you know the plot of the movie then it isn't confusing at all but to newcomers or people who just aren't familiar, it can be confusing.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:43 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:21 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:02 pm
Yeah i mean Revenge vs Return, it is indeed confusing to some degree given the former is Cooler's debut.
Again I’m not sure why this is confusing. If you know one is called Revenge of Cooler and the other is Return of Cooler it’s a safe bet that the Return comes second
Okay, apparently i was mistaken on that when thinking the titles are confusing when really they aren't. It's actually easy to distinguish them now that i think about it.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:45 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:40 pm
well if someone who had never seen the movies before, why would his first appearance be his revenge ? like yeah if you know the plot of the movie then it isn't confusing at all but to newcomers or people who just aren't familiar, it can be confusing.
Because he can be taking revenge on behalf of another character?

Again, this is only confusing if you completely ignore the other one is called return. If you know Cooler has two movies one with Revenge in the title and one with Return it should be easy to determine which comes off the other.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:51 pm

It's still confusing to a newcomer, safe bets or not. A lot of fans out there might not even push their thinking far enough to see the Revenge/Return distinction.

It's almost like if someone goes to McDonald's and sees both the Double Cheeseburger and the McDouble on the menu. Like, how would a new customer know what to think??

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:53 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:36 pm
ABED wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:16 pm And I'm not a fan of your suggested alternate titles. They sound silly and tell us nothing. Return of Cooler is a much more evocative title.
Are "Big Gete Star" and "Dangerous Duo" really any sillier than "Tree of Might" and "World's Strongest"? I say that if FUNimation is going to change the original Japanese titles, then at least put a bit of thought into it. I mean something like "Lord Slugg" is just about the most dumbed down title I can think of. "Return of Cooler" is way too simplistic as well. If I see the title "Big Gete Star", I might say to myself "WTF is a Big Gete Star? I need to watch this movie".
As far as Movie 4’s title is concerned, “Super Saiyan Son Goku” isn’t very inventive either. Besides, while FUNimation has made a lot of boneheaded decisions, putting “Super Saiyan” in the title of the movie would most likely have backfired on them, given that by the time they got around to dubbing that Movie 4, American audiences were already familiar with the Super Saiyan transformation. With that in mind, I’m not even really sure what else they could’ve called it.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:09 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Because he can be taking revenge on behalf of another character?

Again, this is only confusing if you completely ignore the other one is called return. If you know Cooler has two movies one with Revenge in the title and one with Return it should be easy to determine which comes off the other.
well yeah but a newcomer or someone unfamiliar with the movies, isn't gonna exactly know that, and like it has been previously stated "revenge" and "return" are some of the most cliche and overused sequel titles. they both have a title that makes them sound like sequels, it's silly.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:15 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:53 pm As far as Movie 4’s title is concerned, “Super Saiyan Son Goku” isn’t very inventive either. Besides, while FUNimation has made a lot of boneheaded decisions, putting “Super Saiyan” in the title of the movie would most likely have backfired on them, given that by the time they got around to dubbing that Movie 4, American audiences were already familiar with the Super Saiyan transformation. With that in mind, I’m not even really sure what else they could’ve called it.
Yeah I'm not really sure what else they could've called it either. I think that might say something about how weak that movie's story is more than anything else.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:22 am

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:36 pm
Star Wars is simple, memorable, thematically relevant, and to the point.
I meant titles like "Return of the Jedi" or "Revenge of the Sith", which could possibly describe just about every other Star Wars movie.
I fail to see how long titles are somehow healthy for the imagination and psychology.
Perhaps not significantly healthy, but comparatively healthier than FUNi's more simple-minded titles. Movie titles, like a movie poster or soundtrack, can spark the viewer's imagination in any untold number of ways. They don't necessarily have to, but why not apply that kind of effort for the audience if the opportunity exists.

"Burn Up!! A Red-Hot, Raging, Super-Fierce Fight" makes me imagine the characters traveling to the ends of outer space and engaging in some kind of all-out nonstop battle with an enemy. It evokes the imagery of flames and fire, which can signify an extra-ordinary kind of battle epic in proportions. It also makes me think of bright sunlight and intense heat, which obviously touches audiences' imaginations in various ways. Of course, this is just how I'm affected by a title like that and it would naturally vary from person to person.
Really? The title would be a selling point? I truly doubt that. And is naming a movie after the villain somehow worse than naming a film after the hero?

Big Gete Star is the McGuffin. The Return of Cooler is more descriptive about what the movie is actually about. And yes, those two titles you mentioned are sillier. And it's Dragon Ball that sells people on the movie. You may like the idea of 'Big Gete Star', but given that DB's most successful movie was literally just a character's name, Broly, I'd say you're in the minority. I like that FUNi kept the names simple. I know we refer to the films usually by number, but I sometimes don't remember which is which. Keeping the names simple makes it easier to remember.

Return of the Jedi doesn't describe any other film beside that movie. The Jedi were dead and gone and Luke had finally completed his training. And Revenge of the Sith is appropriate to that film because they had finally completed their Revenge.

Titles aren't healthy or unhealthy, they're titles. You are placing WAY more importance on this issue than you should. It's like you have a preference for the longer JPN title and are searching for some greater validation beyond 'I like them just 'cause.' Titles should K.I.S.S. - Keep it Simple Stupid. Great advice; hurts my feelings every time. Even if the title is bland, as long as it has relevance to the story, it works.

And as for your last paragraph, that's every big boss battle, or at least what every big boss battle attempts. They are trying to create some big epic clash.

Final point, Jerry Seinfeld said the reason the titles of the episodes of his sitcom were simply "The [name of object, place, event, etc.]" was because he wanted the writers concentrating on the story and things that mattered, not being clever with the titles. Granted, they are episode titles, but he has a good point. The titles of episodes or even movies aren't the selling point.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:02 am

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:09 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:31 am Sure, the dub titles can be kind of lame by just using the villain's name, but at least it's not completely generic.
I disagree that the titles are generic and interchangeable.
Super Showdown for the Whole Earth
The Incredible Mightiest vs Mightiest
Burn Up!! Hot Fight! Fierce Fight! Super Violent Fight!
The Galaxy at the Brink!! The Super Incredible Guy
The Dangerous Duo! Super-Warriors Can Not Rest
Super-Warrior Defeat!! I'm the One who'll Win

These look pretty generic and interchangable to me. To someone not familiar with the Japanese titles, it'd be pretty much a guess which movie is which.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:07 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:22 am Big Gete Star is the McGuffin. The Return of Cooler is more descriptive about what the movie is actually about. And yes, those two titles you mentioned are sillier.
Is the Big Gete Star really that much less relevant to that movie's plot than the Tree of Might is in Movie 3? I mean just switch out Turles for Coola and then what happens?

What about the title "Dead Zone"? That's a last minute plot device barely relevant to the plot, and yet it's the title. I think I prefer this title over something like "Garlic Junior's Revenge".
Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:02 am Super Showdown for the Whole Earth

These look pretty generic and interchangable to me. To someone not familiar with the Japanese titles, it'd be pretty much a guess which movie is which.
Generic yes, but not completely generic. And only interchangeable to a certain extent. Most of them reference at least some element of the plot, and make more sense after watching the movie.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:22 pm

Is the Big Gete Star really that much less relevant to that movie's plot than the Tree of Might is in Movie 3? I mean just switch out Turles for Coola and then what happens?
Tree of Might sounds cool or ominous. Big Gete Star is not only silly, it's misleading since it's not a star. I said it's the McGuffin, not irrelevant. The Return of Cooler is a much better selling point. And I'm not arguing any of the dub titles are great but they are preferable to long generic titles. By the way, Dead Zone just sounds cool.
Generic yes, but not completely generic. And only interchangeable to a certain extent. Most of them reference at least some element of the plot, and make more sense after watching the movie.
They are all interchangeable. Of course they reference some aspect of the plot, they are generic. Mightiest vs. Mightiest references what specifically? Hardly shocking that it's referencing the two strongest are going to fight, just like every other DB movie. The title for the first Broly movie doesn't tell us anything. That's the description of every boss fight. They are fierce and violent. "I'm the One who Will Win". Someone is going to try and win a fight? "Super Showdown for the Whole Earth", how does that not apply to every DBZ movie?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:36 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:22 pm They are all interchangeable. Of course they reference some aspect of the plot, they are generic. Mightiest vs. Mightiest references what specifically? Hardly shocking that it's referencing the two strongest are going to fight, just like every other DB movie. The title for the first Broly movie doesn't tell us anything. That's the description of every boss fight. They are fierce and violent. "I'm the One who Will Win". Someone is going to try and win a fight? "Super Showdown for the Whole Earth", how does that not apply to every DBZ movie?
"A Super Decisive Battle for Earth"/"Super Showdown for the Whole Earth" - In this one the battle is for the Planet Earth itself, because the Tree of Might is literally killing the Earth. That's why Earth is featured in the title.

"Super Saiyan Son Goku" - Refers to Goku's transforming into a Super Saiyan for the first time, which is a notable plot point because of its legendary place in the mythos.

"The Incredible Strongest vs Strongest" - The two strongest, in this case, are believed to be the strongest in the universe. The legendary Super Saiyan, Goku, and Coola, who is even stronger than Freeza himself. That kind of emphasis wouldn't have quite the same weight in any of the other movies.

"Extreme Battle!! The Three Great Super Saiyans" - Says that the battle will primarily feature Goku, Vegeta, and Trunks.

"Burn Up!! A Red-Hot, Raging, Super-Fierce Fight" - Tells us that, unlike previous battles, this battle will will be far more fierce and violent. And if I recall, it's pretty much a fiercer battle than what has come before. Especially with all of the characters fighting together, four Super Saiyans against another all-powerful Super Saiyan, having to travel so far into space, etc. etc. The title speaks to the unique intensity of this installment.

"The Galaxy at the Brink!! The Super Incredible Guy" - The galaxy being at risk applies to this film specifically because of Bojack's history of attacking the galaxies and being sealed by the Kaios. And I think "Super Incredible Guy" refers to SSJ2 Gohan, a deciding factor in the film.

So yeah, maybe some of the films are more generic and interchangeable than others, but it varies.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:10 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:07 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:02 am Super Showdown for the Whole Earth

In what way do any of those even slightly reference the plot of the movie? I've seen all of those movies multiple times, and they in no way "make more sense" after watching them. Because yes, they are completely generic.

Change them up pretty much at random and literally nothing changes. That's the definition of interchangable.

Strongest vs Strongest could legit be any of them. Goku vs the villain. Hell it could be used for Freeza, Cell or Buu as well in an episode title or something.
Super Showdown for the Earth. This one could even be referencing the fight against Piccolo if you just saw that without context and didn't know any better.
Galaxy at the Brink, again could be used for Freeza, Cell, or even Broly.
Super Warrior defeat, I'm the one who will win. That's the most generic of them all. It's basically a title that says "The main cast win"

I could go on, but you get the point.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:28 am

MyVisionity wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:36 pm
ABED wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:22 pm They are all interchangeable. Of course they reference some aspect of the plot, they are generic. Mightiest vs. Mightiest references what specifically? Hardly shocking that it's referencing the two strongest are going to fight, just like every other DB movie. The title for the first Broly movie doesn't tell us anything. That's the description of every boss fight. They are fierce and violent. "I'm the One who Will Win". Someone is going to try and win a fight? "Super Showdown for the Whole Earth", how does that not apply to every DBZ movie?
"A Super Decisive Battle for Earth"/"Super Showdown for the Whole Earth" - In this one the battle is for the Planet Earth itself, because the Tree of Might is literally killing the Earth. That's why Earth is featured in the title.

"Super Saiyan Son Goku" - Refers to Goku's transforming into a Super Saiyan for the first time, which is a notable plot point because of its legendary place in the mythos.

"The Incredible Strongest vs Strongest" - The two strongest, in this case, are believed to be the strongest in the universe. The legendary Super Saiyan, Goku, and Coola, who is even stronger than Freeza himself. That kind of emphasis wouldn't have quite the same weight in any of the other movies.

"Extreme Battle!! The Three Great Super Saiyans" - Says that the battle will primarily feature Goku, Vegeta, and Trunks.

"Burn Up!! A Red-Hot, Raging, Super-Fierce Fight" - Tells us that, unlike previous battles, this battle will will be far more fierce and violent. And if I recall, it's pretty much a fiercer battle than what has come before. Especially with all of the characters fighting together, four Super Saiyans against another all-powerful Super Saiyan, having to travel so far into space, etc. etc. The title speaks to the unique intensity of this installment.

"The Galaxy at the Brink!! The Super Incredible Guy" - The galaxy being at risk applies to this film specifically because of Bojack's history of attacking the galaxies and being sealed by the Kaios. And I think "Super Incredible Guy" refers to SSJ2 Gohan, a deciding factor in the film.

So yeah, maybe some of the films are more generic and interchangeable than others, but it varies.
The Earth is ALWAYS at stake in the DBZ movies.

My god you are really reaching. Strongest vs. Strongest absolutely works for the other movies.

" Tells us that, unlike previous battles" Bull! It tells us absolutely nothing whatsoever. Every big DB fight is a fierce and violent fight. How is it demonstrably different from the battles against Piccolo, Daimao, Vegeta, or Freeza.

The Super Incredible Guy is as vague a description as it gets. That could apply to either whoever the villain was or whoever the hero was. The Galaxy at the brink? The stakes had gotten that high a while ago. It tells us NOTHING specific about Bojack.

It doesn't vary that much. You are grasping at straws.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:41 am

Didn't the series director admit they picked the movie titles completely blind before they even came up with the plot or villains?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:33 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:28 am The Earth is ALWAYS at stake in the DBZ movies.
Yes but that movie put a particular emphasis on the planet itself. It opens with the forest fires and Gohan and Kuririn saving the animals. Turles is attacking the Earth itself for its life force. The earth is a running theme for the movie. This is most likely the reason why "Earth" is in the title and not the others. Of course it's still somewhat generic and interchangeable, I'm just saying not completely.
Strongest vs. Strongest absolutely works for the other movies.
I'm not so sure it would. I think this just may be exclusive to Movie 5 for the reasons previously stated.
" Tells us that, unlike previous battles" Bull! It tells us absolutely nothing whatsoever. Every big DB fight is a fierce and violent fight. How is it demonstrably different from the battles against Piccolo, Daimao, Vegeta, or Freeza.
Maybe, maybe I could see it with Freeza. But not the others. All those Super Saiyans, a violent beast like Broli, I just don't see the other battles measuring up, especially in the movies. But again, I can see how the title could work for some of the other films.
The Galaxy at the brink? The stakes had gotten that high a while ago. It tells us NOTHING specific about Bojack.
Again, I think the choice to use "galaxy" in the title is a reflection of Bojack's particular role of being some kind of galaxy-destroyer.

It might seem like I'm grasping, but this is just what jumps out at me after having seen all the films and going back to read the titles.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:45 pm

I think this just may be exclusive to Movie 5 for the reasons previously stated.
It's not. Damn near every movie involved them fighting the strongest enemy they had ever faced to that point.
Maybe, maybe I could see it with Freeza. But not the others.
How could you not see it with the fight against Piccolo(s) or Vegeta. All three of those fights are amongst the best and most violent and intense battles in all of DB. The title works for the other films as well, at least in essence. That's what they are always trying to do even if they don't hit the mark, which by the way, they didn't with Broly either. He's not the first in a long line of villains who are wrecking machines.
Again, I think the choice to use "galaxy" in the title is a reflection of Bojack's particular role of being some kind of galaxy-destroyer.
So is Broly. Didn't movie 8 begin with him literally destroying an entire galaxy or a good chunk of it?

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:30 pm

The only good non kid Gohan is Future Gohan and how I envision the character should be.