Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by SX10 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:07 pm

Don't think I'm qualified to comment on something like this, but I assume the silence from marina and WOW is a sign they are hard at work on it. Come what may, they HAVE to get on the air on Sept 1st right?
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:08 pm

SX10 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:07 pm Don't think I'm qualified to comment on something like this, but I assume the silence from marina and WOW is a sign they are hard at work on it.
Given Marni Shulman's fairly enthusiastic communication in the past, it's safe to say the main reason she's not saying anything now is because there's nothing to say (why bother popping on Twitter to say "btw it's all fine"?), and/or there's nothing she can say...
SX10 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:07 pm Come what may, they HAVE to get on the air on Sept 1st right?
Nah, they can push it back to December, or even next year.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:13 am

The dub airing in December would make for a great Christmas present.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

C. Smith

Post by C. Smith » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:14 pm

Well, we're less than 3 weeks away from Comedy Gold closing and still there's no update on the channel
https://twitter.com/IMissBionix/status/ ... 98593?s=19

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:17 pm

The fact that Comedy Gold is in fact shutting down this time is a good sign in my opinion.

At least something is going to happen here.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:22 pm

Bell Support wrote:Unfortunately, there are no details available regarding that yet. But, once we know more we will be letting everyone know. :)
Very interesting, its typical of companies to respond like this as it generally means whatever is happening on that date is confidential. September is a common launch date for new channels, so this may very well be the launch of Wow World and hopefully the long awaited debut of Ocean Kai.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:59 am

Some may find it ill-advised, but I decided for better or worse to email Mrs. Shulman about this issue, only because she's replied to my inquiries before.

Sorry to bump the thread without having anything substantial to report (yet) but I just want you guys to wish me luck on this.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:12 am

Arian wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:59 am Some may find it ill-advised, but I decided for better or worse to email Mrs. Shulman about this issue, only because she's replied to my inquiries before.

Sorry to bump the thread without having anything substantial to report (yet) but I just want you guys to wish me luck on this.
No worries there. At least if she responds to you we'll likely learn something; if it didn't go through she'd tell you, and if it did she'd say she can't comment, and if they're still negotiating she'd probably just tell us.

But if this messes things up I'm taking the next train to Ottawa and introducing your knees to my foot >:^)

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:16 am

MistaL wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:12 amIf this messes things up I'm taking the next train to Ottawa and introducing your knees to my foot >:^)
I highly doubt that this entire operation is going to go under because some guy hours away from them sent one lousy email with nothing but good things to say. Having said that, I will accept that beating if you are indeed correct. XP
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:00 am

Arian wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:16 am
MistaL wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:12 amIf this messes things up I'm taking the next train to Ottawa and introducing your knees to my foot >:^)
I highly doubt that this entire operation is going to go under because some guy hours away from them sent one lousy email with nothing but good things to say. Having said that, I will accept that beating if you are indeed correct. XP
Just joking around with you, haha. I doubt your email could have any sort of negative impact.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:29 am

Arian wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:59 am Some may find it ill-advised, but I decided for better or worse to email Mrs. Shulman about this issue, only because she's replied to my inquiries before.

Best of luck man.

Honestly though, your right that your email couldn't possibly sabatoge an entire channel launch. Worst case scenario Marni is under an NDA and will say "Nothing to report yet, will update as soon as I can" or something like that.

I'd have to imagine the channel's debut is imminent with Comedy Gold closing on August 30th. WOW Unlimited did purchase that channel, they'd most likely want to take the opportunity to get broadcasting and ad revenue from it rather than leave it vacant, especially given how much time they've taken with finalizing programming.

Fingers crossed for Kai and the Ocean crew.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

C. Smith

Post by C. Smith » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:52 pm

We're on Comedy Gold's final week guys. Let's see what happens after August 30

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:07 pm

C. Smith wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:52 pm We're on Comedy Gold's final week guys. Let's see what happens after August 30
Well, even though that Bell rep said August 30th, it's really going to be on the morning of September 1st, as the final program scheduled on their website is Tosh.0 at 5:30am on September 1st.

So if you see that Comedy Gold is still on after 11:59pm on August 30th, don't panic, lol.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:43 pm

Panic on September 1 instead lol.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:59 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:43 pm Panic on September 1 instead lol.
Turns out those in the Canadian media aren't even sure what's going on. Hopefully its nothing serious and just a minor delay that will be fixed soon.

C. Smith

Post by C. Smith » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:24 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:59 am
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:43 pm Panic on September 1 instead lol.
Turns out those in the Canadian media aren't even sure what's going on. Hopefully its nothing serious and just a minor delay that will be fixed soon.
Wow doesn't have a lot of first-party content, and whatever third-party stuff there is has been taken by Corus (Disney, Nick, Hasbro, and CN+AS) and DHX (Mattel). Maybe Wow can get stuff from Universal for 3rd Party cartoons

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm

Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:21 pm

The new addition to my signature, thanks. Beautifully stated.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:14 am

http://kidscreen.com/2019/08/26/linear- ... OgzaxKs%3d

Here are some hopeful stuff amidst the despair.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:28 am

Kidscreen wrote:Still, a paid TV subscription is common among 76% of Canadian viewers, compared to just 65% who subscribe to an OTT service of some sort.
Not surprised about this, especially when it comes to families with kids as kids can be exposed to anything on streaming services like Netflix, but with traditional TV parents can monitor what their kids watch more easily by knowing what kind of programming is showing at any given hour.

Given the conflicting reports about how uncut or censored this dub is (The A2G Gamer Channel claimed in the comments of his Ocean Dub Panel video that Scott McNeil said it was translated very bad, but time will tell) the prevalence of broadcast TV could help or hinder its success. Guess a lot will depend on what time Wow plans to broadcast it.