Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:29 pm

i disagree with that, but i do think that it would've been cool for gohan when he fights boo to have the "han" kanji, like future gohan does. i don't think anyone even has kanji on their gi's in the boo arc in general though ? so w/e.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:55 pm

Kokonoe wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:30 pm The only good non kid Gohan is Future Gohan and how I envision the character should be.
Bruh, that's not uncommon.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:08 pm

Scsigs wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:55 pm
Kokonoe wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:30 pm The only good non kid Gohan is Future Gohan and how I envision the character should be.
Point me to someone who has this view.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:20 pm

i'm unsure how popular it is on here, but it's definitely popular with a lot of the fanbase. again i can't really agree, i think boo saga gohan is the best version of the character, though i pretty much like every version of gohan in the manga, he's my favorite character.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:23 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:20 pm i'm unsure how popular it is on here, but it's definitely popular with a lot of the fanbase. again i can't really agree, i think boo saga gohan is the best version of the character, though i pretty much like every version of gohan in the manga, he's my favorite character.
I don't mind that you have that view, I've seen it often and opinions make us different people which is a good thing.

That said I have been in the fanbase for awhile in various places and have not run into these people. I've only run into people who prefer Gohan how he is. I've been questioned heavily for my view and mocked for it in the past.

If there is a fanbase elsewhere that has these views I'd love to know cause I'd like to discuss it with others who have this view.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:25 am

Kokonoe wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:08 pmPoint me to someone who has this view.
Me. Future Gohan is the best version of the character.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:39 pm

Kokonoe wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:08 pm
Scsigs wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:55 pm
Point me to someone who has this view.
Literally every Gohan fan who doesn't like his character progression from the Buu Saga on says something like this at one point or another. Either they wish he could be more of a fighter rather than just a dorky dad, or they wish that he was Future Gohan. I've seen these opinions before.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:14 pm

But is that really progress? In Trunks' timeline, he became more like his father out of necessity. In the normal timeline, he can become his own person. This is part of the problem with continuing the narrative past its logical conclusion. Characters reached a very natural endpoint for their journeys and continuing forces them past that.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:36 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:14 pm But is that really progress? In Trunks' timeline, he became more like his father out of necessity. In the normal timeline, he can become his own person. This is part of the problem with continuing the narrative past its logical conclusion. Characters reached a very natural endpoint for their journeys and continuing forces them past that.
Kind of like real life.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:04 am

Grimlock wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:25 am
Kokonoe wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:08 pmPoint me to someone who has this view.
Me. Future Gohan is the best version of the character.
Glad I finally found another one who feels that way!

He keeps his character tone, and more importantly his individual Gohan personality which I felt was non existent. Felt like someone else to be quite honest.

I also love his hairstyle more in the future timeline, looks real cool.

What do you like about him?

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:33 am

:? I think the Tapion/Hirudegarn movie is overrated. take cover :o
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:16 am

Kokonoe wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:04 amGlad I finally found another one who feels that way!

He keeps his character tone, and more importantly his individual Gohan personality which I felt was non existent. Felt like someone else to be quite honest.

I share your statements here. Even in moment of peace, he's not one who would dress up in a costume to play some hero. I don't have much against present Gohan, is just that a stoic Gohan is more interesting. I like that contrast between them too.

Then there are the possibilities with Future Gohan, which also helps him being more interesting to me. By possibilities I mean how he would react/interact in relation to the events that happened to present Gohan. His interaction with Pan and seeing Trunks again in XV2 are just wonderful. Future Gohan is right up there with King Vegeta and Uub characters that I want games to feature more, mainly in Dragon Ball Heroes stories.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:26 am

Scsigs wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:36 pm
ABED wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:14 pm But is that really progress? In Trunks' timeline, he became more like his father out of necessity. In the normal timeline, he can become his own person. This is part of the problem with continuing the narrative past its logical conclusion. Characters reached a very natural endpoint for their journeys and continuing forces them past that.
Kind of like real life.
And like in real life, people make the same mistakes over and over and over again, never learning. Very true to life, but very repetitive and boring for storytelling.

And in case it's not clear, not only does it force them past that, it often takes back the lessons they learned in order to keep the story going. Instead of retiring to a life he wants, he has to keep fighting because it's a fighting manga/anime.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:56 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:16 am
Kokonoe wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:04 amGlad I finally found another one who feels that way!

I share your statements here. Even in moment of peace, he's not one who would dress up in a costume to play some hero. I don't have much against present Gohan, is just that a stoic Gohan is more interesting. I like that contrast between them too.

Then there are the possibilities with Future Gohan, which also helps him being more interesting to me. By possibilities I mean how he would react/interact in relation to the events that happened to present Gohan. His interaction with Pan and seeing Trunks again in XV2 are just wonderful. Future Gohan is right up there with King Vegeta and Uub characters that I want games to feature more, mainly in Dragon Ball Heroes stories.
Oh? I should boot up Xenoverse 2 and check out these interactions then sounds cool as hell.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:26 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:26 am And like in real life, people make the same mistakes over and over and over again, never learning. Very true to life, but very repetitive and boring for storytelling.

And in case it's not clear, not only does it force them past that, it often takes back the lessons they learned in order to keep the story going. Instead of retiring to a life he wants, he has to keep fighting because it's a fighting manga/anime.
I mean, or the character can stay stagnant & never change one way or the other while other characters are given the spotlights. In any case, I don't see Gohan coming out of retirement to fight as being a regression in his development. In fact, it makes perfect sense. One of the things Toriyama drove home with Gohan in the Buu Saga is that Gohan was always the strongest fighter out of all of them if he kept up his training. Time & time again, Gohan's had his ass handed to him because he continually skips all days including leg day, so he has reasons to pick back up his training other than the writers wanted him back in action. He can do both & that's great. Just like real life.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:35 pm

Or, and maybe I'm being crazy here, the story should stay finished. The characters did change. They reached the natural endpoint for the story. Everything else is going over well trodden ground

How is that not a betrayal of his development? Gohan found out what he really loves in life. We've seen his story of being a reluctant hero. This isn't fresh. We aren't seeing a new angle to Gohan. Him being a really strong fighter makes him just another warrior. Going from reluctant warrior to hero to more or less normal made him unique.
Just like real life.
I find that argument silly when talking about DB. It bears little resemblance to real life.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:09 am

Tbh you could argue that Goku's character arc was settled in the Frieza arc, even more-so in the Cell arc with the passing of the torch and such.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:18 am

not even freeza, goku more or less comes to terms with his saiyan heritage in the saiyan arc, and than the story doesn't have enough for goku to for him to really develop after that. it's sorta the same with piccolo, his character arc is pretty much done after he dies, it's not like the story really builds up to his reunion with god outside of him snapping at kuririn.

or maybe the saiyan arc was just to good at developing characters :lol:

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:59 am

In the Saiyan arc, after the initial shock he's okay with it, but it is in the Freeza arc that he embraces it.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:54 am

people complain about modern dragon ball.