Does anyone else not get the argument that Vegeta “deserves” to kill Freeza?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: Does anyone else not get the argument that Vegeta “deserves” to kill Freeza?

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:21 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:22 pm
Soppa Saia People wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:47 pm vegeta's whole thing in the freeza arc is that he's a strong asshole who's upset that freeza is the strongest asshole, it's not based off of any revenge or anything like that, vegeta makes it pretty clear that he doesn't care about his people.
I'm pretty sure that was all "tough guy" and he let loose his real emotions when he realized he was going to die and the Dragon Balls wouldn't be there to bring him back.
not really, i don't think vegeta was banking on being brought back by the dragon balls anyway, because like literally who would've tried to bring him back ? when he cries i think it's because of his pride being shattered, rather than him being fearful of death, though i suppose it could be both but i think the story is trying to show the former a lot more.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Does anyone else not get the argument that Vegeta “deserves” to kill Freeza?

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:35 pm

Kokonoe wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:45 pm Does Vegeta deserve to kill Frieza for what Frieza did to him?
Who cares at this point? Clearly Vegeta didn't and it's been ages since that all happened. No one cares.

Does Vegeta deserve to kill Frieza because he never gets to finish off major opponents?
Yes. Absolutely.
He's not the protagonist.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:01 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:35 pm
Kokonoe wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:45 pm Does Vegeta deserve to kill Frieza for what Frieza did to him?
Who cares at this point? Clearly Vegeta didn't and it's been ages since that all happened. No one cares.

Does Vegeta deserve to kill Frieza because he never gets to finish off major opponents?
Yes. Absolutely.
The protagonist should the most glory, but not every glory in my opinion.

The way they were setting up Vegeta there made me feel he was going to get a win which would've been really refreshing.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:53 pm

To be honest, not even Vegeta seems to harbor any desire for revenge related to Freeza after the fight in Namek. In RoF he doesn't mind having Goku facing him first and only enters the fight because the latter was defeated. He gets annoyed that Goku intervened (just as he would if it were any other enemy there), but he kind of accepts his explanation and doesn't seem to really care. Considering how much he's changed, it makes sense that he doesn't get attached to things like that. In the anime he even says that he didn't want to defeat Black because of his own pride, but to save Trunks's world (this after being defeated and called pathetic by Black)

Anyway, I think Vegeta deserved to kill Freeza on RoF. He was affected by Frieza's actions much more than any other Saiyan, was humiliated, dominated by him for most of his life, and has a much stronger connection with him. Does that mean it was mandatory for him to do that? No, but it would be a good payback for everything Frieza di and considering that he never defeated a main villain, it would be an interesting change with someone he really knows.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:40 am

Kokonoe wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:01 pm

Yes. Absolutely.
The protagonist should the most glory, but not every glory in my opinion.

The way they were setting up Vegeta there made me feel he was going to get a win which would've been really refreshing.
Setting up when? In the Freeza arc or Resurrection 'F'?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:06 am

Yes. Absolutely.
Neither is Gohan, but he finished off Cell.

And Zeno certainly isn't the protagonist, but he finished off Zamasu...
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:00 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:06 am

Yes. Absolutely.
Neither is Gohan, but he finished off Cell.

And Zeno certainly isn't the protagonist, but he finished off Zamasu...
Gohan was meant to become the protagonist and was for a while starting with the end of the Cell arc.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:56 pm

Well Frieza is still alive at the end of super and broly rebuilding his empire.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:53 am

ABED wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:57 pm Also, Vegeta wasn't a good guy the first time he fought Freeza and by the time Freeza came back, any need for vengeance was gone. Freeza had been defeated twice by then.
Well frieza return three times already so vegeta isn't trustful of vegeta so your kinda wrong on that.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:13 am

Vegeta killing Freeza could've been a fantastic instance of heavy, dramatic catharsis - a type of character moment that Dragon Ball isn't in any way familiar with, so hey. :P
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃