Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Grimlock » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:57 am

Toxin45 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:54 am people complain about modern dragon ball.
Is that supposed to be an unpopular opinion? If so, I don't think it is if there are many people complaining.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:58 am

Grimlock wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:57 am
Toxin45 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:54 am people complain about modern dragon ball.
Is that an unpopular opinion? If so, I don't think it is if there are many people complaining.
It really getting old by this point and people ranting is really getting stale.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:07 am

Toxin45 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:58 amIt really getting old by this point and people ranting is really getting stale.
Well, then this has nothing to do with unpopular opinion.

Anyway, I don't think negative criticism has an "expiration date". There are those who still say good things about that series today, so I don't see why people who didn't like can't express their feelings. If one has to stop, then the other must stop too, right?

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:08 am

Grimlock wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:07 am
Toxin45 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:58 amIt really getting old by this point and people ranting is really getting stale.

Anyway, I don't think negative criticism has an "expiration date". There are those who still say good things about that series today, so I don't see why people who didn't like can't express their feelings. If one has to stop, then the other must stop too, right?
Yeah and bashing super is really starting to get old by this point.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:14 am

Don't think so. As long as people are doing it with arguments and not just "hey, it's bad. Now get outta here", it's fine.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:16 am

Toxin45 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:08 am
Grimlock wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:07 am

Yeah and bashing super is really starting to get old by this point.
I mean, there are a LOT of things to criticize modern DB about & you're on a forum for the franchise where a lot of those criticisms are shared & discussed. What are you hoping to accomplish here with this, especially in a thread for unpopular opinions?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:16 am

Grimlock wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:14 am Don't think so. As long as people are doing it with arguments and not just "hey, it's bad. Now get outta here", it's fine.
Of course you would say that.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:26 am

Toxin45 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:16 amOf course you would say that.
Yep. People who don't like Dragon Ball Super are not fed up with people who like it. You should just move on, you know? Let them dislike it.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:27 am

Grimlock wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:26 am
Toxin45 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:16 amOf course you would say that.
Yep. People who don't like Dragon Ball Super are not fed up with people who like it. You should just move on, you know? Let them dislike it.
Just like with gt and super dragon ball heroes.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:39 am

What about them?

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:40 am

Grimlock wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:39 am What about them?
Not really that much different

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:44 am

Well, I can only speak for myself, I like both Dragon Ball GT and Dragon Ball Heroes and I don't really care much about those who don't like them. Try to avoid negative criticism by any means necessary and I'm sure you'll be fine.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:56 pm

Grimlock wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:07 amI don't think negative criticism has an "expiration date". There are those who still say good things about that series today, so I don't see why people who didn't like can't express their feelings. If one has to stop, then the other must stop too, right?
My problem with negative criticism these days is not that people can't express bad criticism but the WHOLE INTERNET is filled with sour, sad, angry and so on negative criticism comment about anything on any subject and Dragon Ball is one of the victim too. It's like Internet helped to increase the morosity of mankind. :problem:

I'm tired of seeing all those negativity I want a change of pace for once Internet filled with joy and love. :(
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:41 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:56 pm
Grimlock wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:07 amI don't think negative criticism has an "expiration date". There are those who still say good things about that series today, so I don't see why people who didn't like can't express their feelings. If one has to stop, then the other must stop too, right?
My problem with negative criticism these days is not that people can't express bad criticism but the WHOLE INTERNET is filled with sour, sad, angry and so on negative criticism comment about anything on any subject and Dragon Ball is one of the victim too. It's like Internet helped to increase the morosity of mankind. :problem:

I'm tired of seeing all those negativity I want a change of pace for once Internet filled with joy and love. :(
Not to get way off topic here but I agree with the sentiment that the internet has become a breeding ground of hatred and where the line between trolling and actually hatred has gotten so blurred that there's basically no difference.

I don't like Sean Schemmel as Goku, but I don't respond to every topic where someone praises him with a comment like "He sucks! Can you believe anyone would think that he's good?"

I only bring this up because I have seen things like this, even on this forum unfortunately.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:48 pm

omegacwa wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:41 pm

Not to get way off topic here but I agree with the sentiment that the internet has become a breeding ground of hatred and where the line between trolling and actually hatred has gotten so blurred that there's basically no difference.

I don't like Sean Schemmel as Goku, but I don't respond to every topic where someone praises him with a comment like "He sucks! Can you believe anyone would think that he's good?"

I only bring this up because I have seen things like this, even on this forum unfortunately.
There are two sides to every coin though. I agree that the intense negativity on the internet is depressing, but the intense positivity can be just as toxic. There are things in media that are nowhere near the level of quality they should be, and yet people don't want to hear a word of criticism because they love it, sometimes blindly because it is a franchise they've loved since they were children. Intense positivity breeds intense negativity, and intense negativity breeds intense positivity. It's a never ending cycle, when people really just need to cut the crap with all the hype culture garbage that the world runs on today and look at things with a clear mind.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:19 pm

I know this is purely semantics, but I wouldn't call that positivity as much as defensiveness and tribalism.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:07 pm

Forte224 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:48 pm

There are two sides to every coin though. I agree that the intense negativity on the internet is depressing, but the intense positivity can be just as toxic. There are things in media that are nowhere near the level of quality they should be, and yet people don't want to hear a word of criticism because they love it, sometimes blindly because it is a franchise they've loved since they were children. Intense positivity breeds intense negativity, and intense negativity breeds intense positivity. It's a never ending cycle, when people really just need to cut the crap with all the hype culture garbage that the world runs on today and look at things with a clear mind.
That's the thing. I loved watching DBS. It filled me with nostalgia and it honestly had some great moments. But I also understand it had plenty of flaws but I try not to dwell on them too much. I just hope that if/when super returns the issues with filler and animation get ironed out.

I just can't stand people whose opinion is "SUPER SUCKS BECAUSE BLUE HAIR DYE AND JIREN" and go around on forums and youtube comments and respond to everyone this way. It seems like a weird form of entertainment for these people.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:19 pm

omegacwa wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:07 pm

That's the thing. I loved watching DBS. It filled me with nostalgia and it honestly had some great moments. But I also understand it had plenty of flaws but I try not to dwell on them too much. I just hope that if/when super returns the issues with filler and animation get ironed out.

I just can't stand people whose opinion is "SUPER SUCKS BECAUSE BLUE HAIR DYE AND JIREN" and go around on forums and youtube comments and respond to everyone this way. It seems like a weird form of entertainment for these people.
Well, that's my point right there. There are just as many people going around saying "SUPER ROCKS BECAUSE BLUE HAIR DYE AND JIREN" and don't listen to reason or criticism.
ABED wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:19 pm I know this is purely semantics, but I wouldn't call that positivity as much as defensiveness and tribalism.
Right right, but it is disguised as positivity. I'm talking about blind hate vs blind praise when you boil it all down. Both are rampant, both are toxic, both spawn the opposite, but one isn't as heavily criticized because it's supposedly "positive". But I realize you already knew that's what I meant.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:24 pm

I really liked the ending of the Future Trunks arc. Most people just wanted it to end at Trunks destroying Fused Zamasu's body, but imho that would have been stupid, since Gowasu literally reminded everyone in ep.66 that Zamasu still had an immortal soul despite merging with a mortal body. So it was obvious that just cleaving his body in half wouldn't be enough, especially when that wish was granted by the Super Dragon Balls. Thematically-speaking, I love how dark that ending is, showing that sometimes despite your best efforts you might lose everything that you hold dear. It is a nice change from literally any other arc of Super that ends happily. I actually commend the writers for coming up with such a bold ending for one of the most popular characters in the franchise.

I think that my only gripe with this ending is that the writing kind of downplays the event that just transpired. Goku and co. literally witnessed multiversal genocide and yet in the next scene they are eating, laughing, and having fun. There really isn't a lot of emotional impact on the protagonists, except for Trunks.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:47 pm

I mean, to be fair, Dragon Ball Super is meant to be entertainment. People being enthusiastic about entertainment they enjoy makes sense, I fail to see how its toxic. On the other hand, continuously raining on peoples parade about an anime they enjoy, with all respect, has the potential to get old fast. Most people engage in entertainment, especially entertainment like DB, as escapism, not to find more negativity.

I'm not saying criticism is wrong or bad, or you shouldn't be critical of the entertainment you consume. But continuing to complain about a show that's been off the air for over a year seems a bit silly to me. Surely there are better things to do with one's time.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.