"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:49 am

Noitsnothim wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:01 am Goku & Vegeta will begin their training in next month's issue

I hope it's finally the training for Goku to sever the ties between his mind and body so he can use UI at will

and Vegeta will learn...who the hell knows
I love this post. Though it’s very unlikely to happen.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:58 am

I am still waiting for the chapter that makes all of this arc stop being filler.
Unfortunately I still think that the training Goku and Vegeta will be doing will just be to learn some stuff useful only against Moro, but I will be happy to be wrong.
Reading that the two will be training is exciting though, especially because I was missing some training in the middle of an arc, or before one, in preparation to beat some very strong foe. Super was relying too much on mid-battle power-ups and off-screen power-ups, which can be good and a nice change of formula but will never beat the old training bits from the manga which I always loved. Hopefully the training will be on-screen this time.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:55 am

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:09 am

Xeogran wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:55 am
For real? I am getting angry now. This is beyond stupid. How come everyone can do it so easily?
P O W E R

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:17 am

Xeogran wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:55 am

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:41 am

Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:20 am

Liquir wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:23 am
Noitsnothim wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:55 am The Apparant Chapter 51 leak

- Bulma Meets Goku at Galactic Patrol HQ
- Goku contacts Earth and informs Piccolo about Moro and Namek
- Vegeta Comes to Yardrat and sees Freeza Force s killing Yardratians.
- Vegeta deals with the Freeza Force
- Freeza Comes down from his ship to Yardrat to confront Vegeta

(Creds to GovetaXV on Twitter)
He has deleted those now and says he's not sure if it's correct and better to wait for further verification.

On the other hand Ryokutya's monthly leak is out..
http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/22991
Rough Translation:
Totally fake.
There is no frieza or yardrat in this chapter but that would be cool.
It shows

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:15 am

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:56 am

I liked the chapter this week. It makes sense to be slow since neither Goku or Vegeta have a proper way of handling things. And we're heading to earth now which is probably where it will actually end. They'll probably run into the others....and 17/18 should make a good counter since they have infinite energy.

Then there's Goku vs Merus where I was just annoyed Merus didn't throw a punch. I mean come on. I'm further curious on if he's so powerful then why does he use a bunch of toys instead of his own ability. But I'm sure that will be answered later...hopefully. Also curious on what Vegeta will get from Yardrat. Probably will learn to teleport too to get him back in action quicker.

Not sure where the complaints of SSJ3 being a jobber form come from when that's really all it ever did. It could have beat Fat Boo at the time, but didn't. Lost to Super Boo. Lost to Kid Boo. Lost to Beerus. Was probably going to lose to 17 or did depending on the version of Super. Lost to Janemba. Lost to Baby. Only actually beat Hirudagarn with the new Dragon Fist technique. It's a problem the whole series has with this form. It practically never wins.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:00 pm

I find it ironic how planet that was supposed to appear in GT ended up appearing in Super :lol:

"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:05 pm

so another question/plothole if meerus is stronger or as strong as ssj3 goku why wasn't he in the TOP? clearly whis can sense ki everywhere and should know of him

also why no mention of frieza? I'm sure moro and him "should" know about eachother seeing that King Kold knew about beerus and boo.

Also boo sleeping again is wack smh

Super Murjin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Super Murjin » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:09 pm

I wonder if Merus is some form of angel. He could be a lower tier angel, or a "mortal" angel.

Not sure how Ultra Instinct would do against Moro, unless UI has a different source of energy, perhaps Moro would be unable to absorb his energy?

Many times during the TOP spectators mention that Goku is giving off a lot of extreme heat. It is possible his "energy" is not regular or godly ki. We know it is heat-based, so is it "heat ki" ??? If that is the case then not only would Goku have the auto dodge but also ki that can't be absorbed which would be huge against Moro.

I can't wait for next month's chapter.

I'm hoping Vegeta will not learn to teleport, that will be kinda lame. Hope he learns a new ability or technique, not a new saiyan form.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:13 pm

jplaya2023 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:05 pm so another question/plothole if meerus is stronger or as strong as ssj3 goku why wasn't he in the TOP? clearly whis can sense ki everywhere and should know of him
Merus has not been shown to be strong, only fast. Vegeta stated early on in the arc that he couldn't sense Merus' presence, and it has been apparent otherwise that he doesn't give off an impressive ki signature. They only gathered fighters that Goku and the gang knew for the ToP, which is an explanation for Broly's absence.

Super Murjin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Super Murjin » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:22 pm

batistabus wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:13 pm
jplaya2023 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:05 pm so another question/plothole if meerus is stronger or as strong as ssj3 goku why wasn't he in the TOP? clearly whis can sense ki everywhere and should know of him
Merus has not been shown to be strong, only fast. Vegeta stated early on in the arc that he couldn't sense Merus' presence, and it has been apparent otherwise that he doesn't give off an impressive ki signature. They only gathered fighters that Goku and the gang knew for the ToP, which is an explanation for Broly's absence.
Totally agree. Merus has the auto dodge and hidden ki.
If Goku could have landed a hit, I think Merus would have been in trouble.

Also, if Merus ki was not detectable and Broly's power still hadn't reached its full potential, it makes sense why nobody knew about these two for the TOP. Their power was simply not sensed, if not sensed then nobody would have known that they existed.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:04 pm

This chapter was ok, but I was really hoping for more Vegeta/Yardrat stuff.

Merus is really starting to feel like an author insert character. I really hope his "power" is explained in someway or he is shown to be critically flawed.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:13 pm

I'm curious to know what Moro's plans are exactly. We know he's driven by the desire to consume worlds, but here in this chapter we also see him expressing an interest in his subordinates gathering resources for something he has planned. If it was to govern as a despot of the galaxy then consuming so many inhabited worlds is not the way to go about doing things. Also, it sounds like at least some of the convicts are only using Moro. Colour me surprised. It seems rare to find a DBZ villain or their underling with any ounce of loyalty or genuine camaraderie (Ginyu Force and the cyborgs being a few exceptions).

The recent arc has given us some pretty good insight into the lore of the greater DBZ universe with things like the Galactic Patrol, Namek's practices, and even U7's equivalent to some of the known U6 species. Did anyone catch the Pui Pui reference this chapter with Planet Zoon? Haven't seen that place since the Buu arc. Apparently Babidi had enslaved more of Zoon's people than we thought as we could see some of them in the background in the manga.

Does it seem like they're opening a can of worms here by making Merus so powerful? People would argue that his recent feats against an SSJ3 Goku are only indicative of his speed and acuity skills, but we witness him parrying an attack from SSJ Goku. For Merus to be able to grab hold of and navigate Goku's muscles, ligaments, and weight away from him connotes to his own counterbalancing strength being used. I think at a minimum, it shows that Merus has strength comparable to SSJ Goku and speed/reflexes capable of following SSJ3 Goku. What I'd like to know then is how Merus built himself up to be able to handle a current arc Goku while Earth's fighters outside of #17 and Gohan are all languishing in some obscure canyon of strength-based ineptitude.

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:24 pm

Merrus is definitely suspicious no way some one like him was with the galactic patrol from the start he must’ve join when freeza was dead otherwise the lizard would’ve been imprison awhile ago.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:45 pm

I have mostly liked this chapter. I’m glad that Goku and Vegeta have been divided and it’s nice to see them tackling the problem in their own way.

It was also great to see Moro’s subordinates go around causing havoc in various planets, and the thieves are going to Earth so it could be an occasion to use more of the cast, and to possible also move the final battle on Earth.

I don’t like how great Toyotaro is making Merus. It seems like his own self-insert OC making its way in the story. He’s basically infallible, hasn’t been hit yet not even by Super Saiyan 3 Goku and also seems to have some sort of Ultra Instinct (again with the “principle” thing, really?) and will also be training Goku. He’s basically the arc’s plot device and it’s raising up too many questions. Just who the heck is he? Maybe he’s an Angel, or a Shinjin? Maybe he’s the son of the Great Kaioshin who had a secret affair with some Galactic Patrol woman? There must be some secret to his ability.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:57 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:00 pm I find it ironic how planet that was supposed to appear in GT ended up appearing in Super :lol:

:lol:

Ok, now that I´m done laughing...what the hell Toyo? I mean, I get it, the design was unused and stuff, but it´s not like we´ve seen plenty of new stuff up until now..This chapter had some nice designs though, particularly the bandit women, barring the velma wannabe. Then we got pui pui´s race, which was apparently extinguished by a Finn clone (but his design´s cool).

In fact, I like the overall characterization of the galactic prisoners. What I don´t get, though, is how the galactic patrol, composed of beings as threatening as smurfs, pokemons or just tiny thingies straight out of pixar movies, leadered by a floating, crowned octopus, could capture beings that can literally destroy planets (unless Merus basically arrested every criminal? Or maybe they used the gun Merus pulled outta nowhere to KO both Goku and Vegeta?Perhaps the tough patrolmen are on vacation?).

I dont know, the plot progressed nicely, but I would like to see a return to seriousness. I will enjoy watching the pinocchio-like bandit and his gang being massacred by either z warriors or moro. :twisted:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:21 pm

Random and scattered thoughts about Chapter 51:

- Meerus is still draining planets and still hasn't got a single iota of charm or depth to his character. Meh.
- The Galactic King feeling naked without his crown cracked me up.
- Jaco is still very funny.
- Vegeta taking his own initiative to deal with Moro? That's... good. Vegeta wanting to achieve victory over Goku? That's...ugh. That's the sort of regressive shit I saw in the early stages of the Tournament of Power and it's a shame that kind of character writing is rearing its ugly head again. One step forward, one step back.
- Toyotaro is really pushing Meerus HARD. Like, he's getting a Roman Reigns level push.
- Is it wrong that I find Moro' cronies more interesting than Moro himself? I mean... maybe it's because Moro has the personality of a cardboard box or that his life draining abilities have become very played out, but I just found the idea simple shit like committing a standard bank robbery, among the over-the-top spectacles that Dragon Ball set pieces and battles have mostly become, to be quite endearing primarily because they feel so down to Earth.
- I really hope the battle coming to Earth leads to more of the supporting getting significantly involved.

Overall... a decent chapter, if also feeling a bit bloated with the unnecessary showcasing of the shenanigans of Moro and his' merry band of glorified jobbers.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.