Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by TheRed259 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:52 am

tinlunlau wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:44 am Someone uploaded a Blu-ray rip of the Cantonese dub. It appears the Hong Kong release of the Blu-ray is color corrected without the green tint. Also note that the Hong Kong Blu-ray is also a single layered disc so I'm not sure how much of an improvement it is over the Funi disc.
What about the voice actors? Are the ones from DBZ, the ones from DBZ Kai or they are new VAs?

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:39 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:52 am
tinlunlau wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:44 am Someone uploaded a Blu-ray rip of the Cantonese dub. It appears the Hong Kong release of the Blu-ray is color corrected without the green tint. Also note that the Hong Kong Blu-ray is also a single layered disc so I'm not sure how much of an improvement it is over the Funi disc.
What about the voice actors? Are the ones from DBZ, the ones from DBZ Kai or they are new VAs?
There's no way in hell TVB will allow their voice actors reprise their roles for the movie until they get to air it themselves. All seem to be new va's. And the Cantonese dub track on the Blu-ray itself is only offered in Dolby Stereo 2.0 so there really is no point in salivating over the Cantonese dub.
The world is your's.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:45 pm

tinlunlau wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:39 pmThere's no way in hell TVB will allow their voice actors reprise their roles for the movie until they get to air it themselves. All seem to be new va's. And the Cantonese dub track on the Blu-ray itself is only offered in Dolby Stereo 2.0 so there really is no point in salivating over the Cantonese dub.
Do you happen to know the names of Goku and Vegeta's VAs in this movie?

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:15 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:45 pm
tinlunlau wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:39 pmThere's no way in hell TVB will allow their voice actors reprise their roles for the movie until they get to air it themselves. All seem to be new va's. And the Cantonese dub track on the Blu-ray itself is only offered in Dolby Stereo 2.0 so there really is no point in salivating over the Cantonese dub.
Do you happen to know the names of Goku and Vegeta's VAs in this movie?
No, I only flipped thru a few scenes of the Cantonese dub. I don't know if there is any listed credits of the voice cast.
The world is your's.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:05 pm

You know, Kid Raditz and Vegeta sounding like their adult selves in the dub really gets under my skin. They really don't sound like kids at all. Or even young, for that matter. Honestly, they could've done two different options. One, have Kid Raditz be voiced by Luci Christian and Kid Vegeta be voiced by Alexis Tipton, Kid Trunks' current English VA, so that way they actually sound like kids. Two, if they didn't get female VAs to do kid voices for these two, have Kid Raditz be voiced by Alejandro Saab or Kaggy, and Kid Vegeta be voiced by Justin Briner, like he was in Episode 7 of the Super TV show. Those two options could've been so much better for Kid Raditz and Vegeta than just having them be voiced by Justin Cook and Chris Sabat, doing their usual voices for the characters. But anyway, what do you guys think? Do you agree with me that Kid Raditz and Vegeta should've actually sounded like kids, or at least sounded young?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:01 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:05 pm You know, Kid Raditz and Vegeta sounding like their adult selves in the dub really gets under my skin. They really don't sound like kids at all. Or even young, for that matter. Honestly, they could've done two different options. One, have Kid Raditz be voiced by Luci Christian and Kid Vegeta be voiced by Alexis Tipton, Kid Trunks' current English VA, so that way they actually sound like kids. Two, if they didn't get female VAs to do kid voices for these two, have Kid Raditz be voiced by Alejandro Saab or Kaggy, and Kid Vegeta be voiced by Justin Briner, like he was in Episode 7 of the Super TV show. Those two options could've been so much better for Kid Raditz and Vegeta than just having them be voiced by Justin Cook and Chris Sabat, doing their usual voices for the characters. But anyway, what do you guys think? Do you agree with me that Kid Raditz and Vegeta should've actually sounded like kids, or at least sounded young?
I remember chuckling in the theater when I heard kid Raditz voice. He sounds like a cab driver or something. Definitely, not a good idea to use adult voices for kids, it just makes them seem like very tiny adults.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:58 am

A collector version of broly is coming out in France and boy is it packed and expensive :

https://www.db-z.com/dragon-ball-super- ... collector/

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:09 am

sangofe wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:58 am A collector version of broly is coming out in France and boy is it packed and expensive :

https://www.db-z.com/dragon-ball-super- ... collector/
Oooh a lenticular card with Broly powering up sounds awesome

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:32 pm

I heard rumours this film had bigger movie box office than Avengers: Endgame in Japan :lol:

I suppose that's a joke.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:50 pm

Noah wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:32 pm I heard rumours this film had bigger movie box office than Avengers: Endgame in Japan :lol:

I suppose that's a joke.
Yeah I don't think that's true too.

Shounen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shounen » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:48 pm

Noah wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:32 pm I heard rumours this film had bigger movie box office than Avengers: Endgame in Japan :lol:

I suppose that's a joke.
According to Box Office Mojo, $54,661,638 vs. $34,644,279 (DB).

KonohaKillas

Post by KonohaKillas » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:09 pm

Is there any release without the green tint that still has the funi voice cast?

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:55 pm

KonohaKillas wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:09 pm Is there any release without the green tint that still has the funi voice cast?
MangaUK
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:42 am

PremiumSalt wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:55 pm
KonohaKillas wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:09 pm Is there any release without the green tint that still has the funi voice cast?
MangaUK
And Madman's release.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:14 pm

Shounen wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:48 pmAccording to Box Office Mojo, $54,661,638 vs. $34,644,279 (DB).
DB had just 20,017,359 less than Endgame, quite impressive tho.

Is there any new movie news or just rumours as well?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Shounen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shounen » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:16 pm

Noah wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:14 pm Is there any new movie news or just rumours as well?
Just rumours.

mikezilla2
Beyond Newbie

Post by mikezilla2 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:31 pm

wait there's more then one english dub ?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:39 pm

I still can’t believe how well this movie did in North America. Seeing a Dragon Ball movie in the top five at the weekend box office was something I never would’ve seen coming.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:12 am

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:39 pm I still can’t believe how well this movie did in North America. Seeing a Dragon Ball movie in the top five at the weekend box office was something I never would’ve seen coming.
I was expecting it to make $15 million max, and then the movie goes and makes over $30 million. :lol: Amazing.

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:19 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:12 am
WittyUsername wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:39 pm I still can’t believe how well this movie did in North America. Seeing a Dragon Ball movie in the top five at the weekend box office was something I never would’ve seen coming.
I was expecting it to make $15 million max, and then the movie goes and makes over $30 million. :lol: Amazing.
Indeed!