Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:16 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:28 amGiven the conflicting reports about how uncut or censored this dub is (The A2G Gamer Channel claimed in the comments of his Ocean Dub Panel video that Scott McNeil said it was translated very bad, but time will tell) the prevalence of broadcast TV could help or hinder its success. Guess a lot will depend on what time Wow plans to broadcast it.
This is the first I've heard of Ocean Kai being "translated very bad". I would have assumed that, if the Funi Kai script isn't reused like Westwood Z and Blue Water DB reused their respective Funi scripts, we would have gotten a script at worst on par with Blue Water GT and Pioneer Z.

If this dub somehow has a script that makes Saban Z look like a 1:1 translation of the original Japanese... :lolno:
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:58 pm

I still maintain that he is referring to pronunciations and his confusion over how they say Namek now etc. Which would actually be a good thing.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:58 pm

SX10 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:58 pm I still maintain that he is referring to pronunciations and his confusion over how they say Namek now etc. Which would actually be a good thing.
My guess is also that that's what he meant.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Azelf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Azelf89 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:11 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:58 pm
SX10 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:58 pm I still maintain that he is referring to pronunciations and his confusion over how they say Namek now etc. Which would actually be a good thing.
My guess is also that that's what he meant.
I just checked the comments of the video Dragon Ball Ireland was talking about (which you can find here), and yeah, that’s exactly what he meant.

To be more specific (and for those who don’t want to bother viewing the video), when asked if anything was said about the Ocean dub of Kai, A2G said this:
The A2G Gamer Channel wrote:Yes essentially the cast thinks they won’t ever be released that they recorded the whole thing but believe the way it was directed/translated was so bad they would have to fix a lot to release it
When asked to elaborate, they said this:
The A2G Gamer Channel wrote:Scott McNiel said they made them say things that were really lame he made it sound like they almost Censored them again like the first time
Afterwards, someone else commented that Scott has stated before that he found the pronunciations really jarring, at which point A2G said this:
The A2G Gamer Channel wrote:Yah that’s what it was idk why I remembered translation haha
So yeah, basically just a case of misremembering what was actually said.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:04 pm

That last response was to meeee haha! I kind of hopes this means that it's not just Namek that is pronounced correctly. Hope Saiyan is right too.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:16 pm

The A2G Gamer Channel wrote:Scott McNiel said they made them say things that were really lame he made it sound like they almost Censored them again like the first time
This was the part I thought sounded odd. There's a difference between finding pronunciations jarring and feeling like your work is being censored. Funimation's Kai dub never fixed the pronunciation for Saiyan but no one can say its a censored dub for that reason. And "like the first time" sounds like McNeil is comparing his Kai performance to his first work on the series, which is the Saban dub.

I'm not saying McNeil's comments have led me to believe Ocean Kai may turn out to be a dub in the same vein as the Saban dub, but I do think its unfortunate there isn't a full video of the panel or even a video recording all that was said about Kai because reading between the lines I can see how these things could be misconstrued.

For the record I don't expect Saiyan to be changed too. The American pronunciation is far too iconic at this stage. It would be one hell of a ballsy move if it was :lol:

Ironically enough its the conflicting reports that make this dub so mysterious. Just like how some people who worked on it say the score makes the show really dark and others say the opposite. I'm sure we've all had an idea in our head about how the dub might sound, when and if WOW broadcast this dub it will certainly be interesting to see how close or far from the truth we imagined it to be based on all these vague pieces of information.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:36 pm

Not the most encouraging news. I know you guys are really adamant about getting Ocean Kai on the air, but I think we should be more worried about this channel even getting off the ground first, at this point.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

C. Smith

Post by C. Smith » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:11 pm

wjbraden wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:36 pm
Not the most encouraging news. I know you guys are really adamant about getting Ocean Kai on the air, but I think we should be more worried about this channel even getting off the ground first, at this point.
The issue is the lack of first-party content and the limited pool of third-party content (they're all taken by Corus and DHX), and I'm not sure if those shows on Wow's Crave channels would be enough.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:27 am

So... did Comedy Gold get replaced or the signal completely disappeared? I've seen the latter happening several times.

One of them was from my country where there was this channel (I don't recall its name at this moment, sorry...) that was going to be shut down and didn't have an announced replacement, so when the moment came, the signal completely went dark and few days later, it was pulled from the providers' schedule.

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:52 am

Tian wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:27 am So... did Comedy Gold get replaced or the signal completely disappeared? I've seen the latter happening several times.

One of them was from my country where there was this channel (I don't recall its name at this moment, sorry...) that was going to be shut down and didn't have an announced replacement, so when the moment came, the signal completely went dark and few days later, it was pulled from the providers' schedule.
It did not get replaced, if Jonathan Primus' article on the matter wasn't any indication.

Instead, it just displays this screen (with Bell's colors and font):

Even though on the guide, it still displays the programs that would have been broadcasted had it gone on (for now):

So given that Bell is providing the still screen, I would think that they really are still waiting on Wow! Unlimited to take control of it.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:49 am

I'm pretty sure it will happen, there are some serious names and history behind the companies involved.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:03 pm

I can't believe we're going on 9 years of absolutely nothing coming from this despite constant updates. It's not like any and all activity died off after a year or two :crazy: It's just....not materializing.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:23 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:03 pm I can't believe we're going on 9 years of absolutely nothing coming from this despite constant updates. It's not like any and all activity died off after a year or two :crazy: It's just....not materializing.
Oh, trust me, I have long since accepted that we're probably not going to see this dub. I'm mostly keeping track of this thread based on the principle of "never say never." But hey, stuff that people thought would never see the light of day (Ridley Scott's Blade Runner: The Final Cut, and Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut) have been released before. So I'll never be 100% certain that we'll never see this dub.

....Just 99%.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:32 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:03 pm I can't believe we're going on 9 years of absolutely nothing coming from this despite constant updates. It's not like any and all activity died off after a year or two :crazy: It's just....not materializing.
Let's just hope WOW's channel will launch sooner rather than later and this is the absolute final hurdle the dub will need to overcome to get on the air.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:57 am

On another note, related to the Ocean dub of Z, do we actually know for a fact that no episodes between 67 and 123 exist? Seems kind of odd for them to have skipped the first few episodes of Cell like that. Seeing as how the Canadian broadcast didn't switch over until later, is it possible some episodes actually exist but were never aired even in the UK? Or have any of the voice actors confirmed that that specific episode was where they continued off?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:06 pm

Valerius Dover wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:57 am On another note, related to the Ocean dub of Z, do we actually know for a fact that no episodes between 67 and 123 exist? Seems kind of odd for them to have skipped the first few episodes of Cell like that. Seeing as how the Canadian broadcast didn't switch over until later, is it possible some episodes actually exist but were never aired even in the UK? Or have any of the voice actors confirmed that that specific episode was where they continued off?
That's a damn good question, I was just thinking about this the other day.

I would lean on the possibility that Ocean dubs of episodes 67.5-117 definitely do not exist because we would have heard somebody say somewhere that they dubbed the whole series. I know some things fade into obscurity but we're on top of everything.

I would think it's possible, however, that episodes 118-122 might exist, or were at least recorded because even the episodes that originally aired in the UK dubbed by FUNimation appear in the UK ending sequence of every Westwood dubbed episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=441SuqcmDOU

Also, you have to stop and think. Ocean had a hand in editing every episode of Z that aired in Canada. Surely had they dubbed the whole series at any point, they as well as YTV would have been much more reluctant to use the FUNimation dub up until mid-Cell Games.

But hey, that's just what I think.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:31 pm

I'm not particularly optimistic about Wow's channel ever getting off the ground anymore, but I'll save you my negativity.

As for the OG DBZ, this is what was submitted to the CRTC:

It's been a very long time since I've concerned myself with that dub. So I don't know if that correlates with what YTV aired vs. what ran internationally.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:24 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:31 pm I'm not particularly optimistic about Wow's channel ever getting off the ground anymore, but I'll save you my negativity.

As for the OG DBZ, this is what was submitted to the CRTC:

It's been a very long time since I've concerned myself with that dub. So I don't know if that correlates with what YTV aired vs. what ran internationally.
YTV didn't start airing that dub until episode 168, I believe. So, I think this does fairly definiteively point us in the direction that yes, episode 108 was likely the first episode they did.
However... Well... It's curious that the CRTC didn't approve episodes 220-276 until 2005. And they never did approve BLT's 13 episodes and movie, even though that stuff did air in Canada. So... It's not certain, even though I'd say it's a strong indicator.

One pre-emptive thing I'd like to additionally address is that episode 108 does, of course, have a recap of episode 107, and in that recap, there's dialogue (most of which the narrator talks over). However, it's worth noting that most (maybe even all) of the recaps in Westwood Z were recorded on their own; that is to say, any recap clips of previous episodes had new recordings of that dialogue for the recap, different to the takes used in the episode they come from.
So, what I'm saying is that the recap at the start of #108 would have been recorded alongside the rest of that episode's recording.
Just in case anyone tried to bring up anything about "but where did the #107 dialogue come from" or something.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dark Vegeta-Sama
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dark Vegeta-Sama » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:25 am

No, the Ocean cast did not dub episodes 54-107, and that's always been a particular sore spot for me as far as the history of the dub goes.

For starters, for those who've seen episode 108, just listen to the actors themselves. It's clear that some of them are a little "rusty" at playing the characters, particularly Drummond and McNeil. They don't sound quite like they did when they had previously left off at episode 53 a few years earlier. Later on in the Android Saga, they sound more "normal" again, for lack of a better term. One would have to assume that they wouldn't have ever missed a beat if they'd dubbed the rest of the Freeza Saga. Lower quality voice direction of the Westwood dub aside, it's clear when you watch those early episodes that the actors needed some time to re-accustom themselves to the characters.

When the Ocean cast returned to record in the summer/fall of 2000, they were told that they were brought back because international audiences disliked the FUNimation in-house cast, and wanted the international cast back. Don Brown said as much in a telephone interview conducted with one of the UKDB guys in 2002. Whether this is true or not, one would have to assume that if an Ocean dub of 54-107 was available, those networks that supposedly received complaints would've sought it out (especially if FUNi was charging more for their dub). It stands to reason that a hypothetical Ocean 54-107 would've aired somewhere, or at least we would've been told of its existence at some point over the years.

If you want more solid proof of the episodes having been skipped entirely, the matter was specifically addressed in this 2016 interview with Brian Drummond where he is asked about those episodes and the reason why the Ocean cast arbitrarily returned at episode 108.

Regarding those CRTC approval listings, those are just bizarre, and nonsensical. Episodes 220-276 aired in Canada between September 2002 and March 2003, so it's completely baffling that there wouldn't have been an entry until 2005. By that time, the episodes were still being shown in reruns on YTV, but YTV was already winding down their airings of the Dragonball franchise as a whole and stopped showing any of the three series soon after.