Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:12 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:49 pm
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:31 pm Battle of Gods is a f**king god awful film and the franchise at its lowest point and far more of an embarrassment to the name DB than Evolution ever was.

Yellow Super Saiyan forms are too trash looking it and just so ugly with SS3 being a poorly designed mess of transformation thank god that form is not popular and has been binned for modern DB, where is belongs.

Toyotaro's work is simply bad. He can't draw, he can't write and his designs are so meh it's amazing to me that he landed a job of a lifetime nothing but a glorified fan artist and never will be more he hasn't improved once at all.

SS4 Vegeta designs I absolutely hate. Long hair that goes down does not suit Vegeta, couple with the god awful attire and the OoC of him achieving the form makes me deapise the form on him.

Dragon Ball Z is an absolutely terrible adaptation of the manga and as an anime frankly sucks, especially the Buu arc where they ruined it completely by dragging out fights that didn't need deagging out that Toriyama purposely made short because they merely minor plot points ie Majin Vegeta fight it was only so Buu could get revived and Toei dragged it to the point it was boring.
Those aren't unpopular opinions as much as "insane troll logic" (Buffy reference)
What a pointless post. Breaking f**king news people are allowed to have opinions that go against the "established norms". Sorry I don't wank off to DBZ... :roll:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:26 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:12 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:49 pm
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:31 pm Battle of Gods is a f**king god awful film and the franchise at its lowest point and far more of an embarrassment to the name DB than Evolution ever was.

Yellow Super Saiyan forms are too trash looking it and just so ugly with SS3 being a poorly designed mess of transformation thank god that form is not popular and has been binned for modern DB, where is belongs.

Toyotaro's work is simply bad. He can't draw, he can't write and his designs are so meh it's amazing to me that he landed a job of a lifetime nothing but a glorified fan artist and never will be more he hasn't improved once at all.

SS4 Vegeta designs I absolutely hate. Long hair that goes down does not suit Vegeta, couple with the god awful attire and the OoC of him achieving the form makes me deapise the form on him.

Dragon Ball Z is an absolutely terrible adaptation of the manga and as an anime frankly sucks, especially the Buu arc where they ruined it completely by dragging out fights that didn't need deagging out that Toriyama purposely made short because they merely minor plot points ie Majin Vegeta fight it was only so Buu could get revived and Toei dragged it to the point it was boring.
Those aren't unpopular opinions as much as "insane troll logic" (Buffy reference)
What a pointless post. Breaking f**king news people are allowed to have opinions that go against the "established norms". Sorry I don't wank off to DBZ... :roll:
I was half joking but if you really want to get into it, how was Battle of Gods a bigger embarrassment than Evolution? Who's supposed to be embarrassed by it?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:06 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:31 pmYellow Super Saiyan forms are too trash looking it and just so ugly with SS3 being a poorly designed mess of transformation thank god that form is not popular and has been binned for modern DB, where is belongs.
Yeah, tell that to Toyotaro.

This is most likely a troll post from someone that is craving for attention, surprised that no one has reported that yet.
Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:02 am Super Showdown for the Whole Earth
The Incredible Mightiest vs Mightiest
Burn Up!! Hot Fight! Fierce Fight! Super Violent Fight!
The Galaxy at the Brink!! The Super Incredible Guy
The Dangerous Duo! Super-Warriors Can Not Rest
Super-Warrior Defeat!! I'm the One who'll Win
That one made me laugh more than I should :lol:

I mean we get it now why recent DB movies are more simple (BoG, RoF, BR). Imagine if they keep it up with the scheme?

Stronger than Freeza, Cell and Majin Boo! The almighty God of Destruction!

The Universe is in danger!! The Evil Emperor ressurected

Stronger like never seen before!! The Insane Outstanding Battle!
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:08 pm

Noah wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:06 pm This is most likely a troll post from someone that is craving for attention, surprised that no one has reported that yet.
i mean i don't think that's fair, it's not like Baggie_Saiyan is some 5 post noob, i just think he was expressing his opinions, though i do think the post came off as a little angry.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:31 am

I don't think Dragon Ball Z is terrible, but after getting used to Kai I do find it a bit overrated. The pacing is pretty poor a lot of the time and the filler is quite hit or miss, Kai fixes both problems. For sure Z has some pros like better performances from the Japanese cast and superior music placement (I don't hate Kikuchi Kai like a lot of people, but its a small step down overall), but I do hope OG DB and GT get a Blu-Ray release before Z gets an actually good one as they should be a bigger priority for never being released post-DVD.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:37 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:25 pm return and revenge of cooler are actually like really silly titles, i'm fine with most of the dub titles (though i prefer just saying the number) but those two can be a little confusing for newcomers.
Dragon Ball Return of Cooler
Dragon Ball Revenge of Cooler
Dragon Ball Curse of Cooler

Michael Myers approves.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:21 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:31 am I don't think Dragon Ball Z is terrible, but after getting used to Kai I do find it a bit overrated. The pacing is pretty poor a lot of the time and the filler is quite hit or miss, Kai fixes both problems. For sure Z has some pros like better performances from the Japanese cast and superior music placement (I don't hate Kikuchi Kai like a lot of people, but its a small step down overall), but I do hope OG DB and GT get a Blu-Ray release before Z gets an actually good one as they should be a bigger priority for never being released post-DVD.
At points Kai’s pacing is bad in the opposite direction. There’s like no development between Gohan the scared sheltered little mama’s boy and Gohan the brave young warrior in the Saiyan Saga.

Kai definitely fixes the glacier pacing and padding and the worst filler but you also lose some of the good filler like Don’t cry Mr.Robot

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:07 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:21 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:31 am I don't think Dragon Ball Z is terrible, but after getting used to Kai I do find it a bit overrated. The pacing is pretty poor a lot of the time and the filler is quite hit or miss, Kai fixes both problems. For sure Z has some pros like better performances from the Japanese cast and superior music placement (I don't hate Kikuchi Kai like a lot of people, but its a small step down overall), but I do hope OG DB and GT get a Blu-Ray release before Z gets an actually good one as they should be a bigger priority for never being released post-DVD.
At points Kai’s pacing is bad in the opposite direction. There’s like no development between Gohan the scared sheltered little mama’s boy and Gohan the brave young warrior in the Saiyan Saga.

Kai definitely fixes the glacier pacing and padding and the worst filler but you also lose some of the good filler like Don’t cry Mr.Robot
I mean, Kai's pacing reflects the pacing of the manga more. Your problem is more with Toriyama not wanting to show the transition period for Gohan's character development, which I think he more than made up for in the Frieza & Android arcs. If it doesn't directly happen in the story, Toriyama never likes to explore or show it, which is a bit frustrating, but Toriyama's also legendarily lazy, so there's that. I don't mind filler, especially if it's good, but if it doesn't appear in the manga, I also couldn't care less. This is why I don't mind an anime-first story like Super, where the anime writers do the filler stories that are 4 episodes long that are either slice of life, or inform the upcoming story arc where Toriyama would've just moved from one arc to the next.
I only have pacing problems when episodes either move too fast, or they drag on forever. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood's first several episodes move at the speed of sound because the anime staff was all like, "well, we adapted this before, no need to show it again," & just did a quick version of the scenes from the first anime. Kai, even though it may be a little fast at first, is still well-paced. I don't miss the filler episodes one bit. Though TFC should've had the Hell scenes cut because they make no sense at all in the context of Kai being closer to the manga & being an adaptation to watch before going into Super, since Toriyama doesn't take that much of the filler into account for his original version of the story outside of Yamcha being a baseball player, which got a filler episode in Super, as we all know.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:24 pm

I would never call him lazy, but Toriyama did leave that period mostly hinted at. I think the filler during that period adds a lot, but Gohan still does a lot of growing up on screen during the battle, so it doesn't feel like he cut too far ahead in Gohan's development. Storytelling involves a lot of connect the dots. Toriyama gave us relatively few dots, but you can still see the picture.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:43 pm

My problem with Kai is that it doesn’t go all the way with what it sets out to do. There are still a number of filler scenes that don’t add anything to the story that are kept intact for Kai. Some prime examples are the whole subplot with Ginyu and Bulma, and that weird moment where Goku sees a vision of Vegeta, Bardock and King Vegeta while he’s fighting Freeza.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:46 pm

Aren't some of those kept in because there's no way to cut around them?

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:07 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:24 pm I would never call him lazy, but Toriyama did leave that period mostly hinted at. I think the filler during that period adds a lot, but Gohan still does a lot of growing up on screen during the battle, so it doesn't feel like he cut too far ahead in Gohan's development. Storytelling involves a lot of connect the dots. Toriyama gave us relatively few dots, but you can still see the picture.
yeah there just different sides of his development, with the saiyan battle showing gohan go from someone, who well self sufficient and wants to help, is still ultimately a child who is scared of battle to someone who confronts vegeta head on even though the most likely outcome isn't good for him. the anime just bridges the gap from him being a scared and sheltered crybaby to someone who's self sufficient and wants to defeat the saiyans, which i find adds a ton to gohan and helps the arc as a whole.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:13 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:46 pm Aren't some of those kept in because there's no way to cut around them?
They definitely could’ve cut around the contradictory nonsense regarding Goku’s vision of Vegeta. It doesn’t help that by the time the Boo arc came around, it seemed like Toei became significantly lazier about cutting out the filler, which led to scenes like the bad guys watching Goku’s fight with Boo from Hell being kept in. Funnily enough, that scene also involves Goz and Mez mentioning how Goku fell off Snake Way, despite the fact that Kai cut that entire episode out.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:19 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:13 pm They definitely could’ve cut around the contradictory nonsense regarding Goku’s vision of Vegeta.
What was contradictory?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:32 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:19 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:13 pm They definitely could’ve cut around the contradictory nonsense regarding Goku’s vision of Vegeta.
What was contradictory?
The whole crux of the scene was Goku being in denial of his Saiyan heritage, thus requiring Vegeta to tell him otherwise. The thing is, at no point in the past was Goku ever shown to be in denial of his Saiyan heritage. Even going as far back as the Saiyan arc, he happily informed Kaio that he’s a Saiyan. Hell, part of his justification for letting Vegeta go was that his Saiyan heritage meant that he couldn’t resist fighting strong opponents. The whole “I ain’t a Saiyan, I’m an Earthling” thing was purely a Toei creation, and it conflicts with what was already established in the manga.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:40 pm

I never saw it as a denial. He never denied that he had Saiyan blood, but he was in fact correct that he wasn't a part of Saiyan culture.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:58 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:40 pm I never saw it as a denial. He never denied that he had Saiyan blood, but he was in fact correct that he wasn't a part of Saiyan culture.
He seemed to be in tune enough with Saiyan culture to attribute his love of fighting to the fact that he’s a Saiyan. I’m not sure what more he needed to understand about what it means to be a Saiyan.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:45 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:24 pm I would never call him lazy, but Toriyama did leave that period mostly hinted at. I think the filler during that period adds a lot, but Gohan still does a lot of growing up on screen during the battle, so it doesn't feel like he cut too far ahead in Gohan's development. Storytelling involves a lot of connect the dots. Toriyama gave us relatively few dots, but you can still see the picture.
What Toriyama DID do was fast-track Gohan's character development a bit, which he showed was a product of Piccolo's training. It's kinda like how Avengers: Infinity War fast-tracked Star-Lord & Gamora's relationship from where it left off in GOTGV2 from having developing crushes to in an actual relationship, since Infinity War takes place almost 4 years after Vol. 2. It was the natural progression of that relationship, so they didn't show them actually getting together. All that changed for Gohan was that he got a little bit more confident & learned a bit of Ki control. Toriyama just didn't show it outside of the beginning of it & we see that it happened over a year, then see the results of the training. Gohan then developed more over the rest of the arc & next 2.
If anyone's gonna complain about not seeing the seeds of what happened to inform his development, I guess I can understand, but Toriyama just didn't wanna show it, which let the anime staff work in filler where it fit nicely. Good on them, but if it's not in the manga, it's not there, sorry. And I can't be asked to care, honestly.
WittyUsername wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:13 pm They definitely could’ve cut around the contradictory nonsense regarding Goku’s vision of Vegeta. It doesn’t help that by the time the Boo arc came around, it seemed like Toei became significantly lazier about cutting out the filler, which led to scenes like the bad guys watching Goku’s fight with Boo from Hell being kept in. Funnily enough, that scene also involves Goz and Mez mentioning how Goku fell off Snake Way, despite the fact that Kai cut that entire episode out.
I mean, Toei didn't even edit the first 98 episodes. That was Q-Tec. Clearly, they took more care, but they still had certain people telling them what to cut & what to keep. Toei was under different stances, clearly. The Hell scenes NEEDED to be cut & it confuses the HFIL out of me why Toei decided to keep them in. They're so short & inconsequential that they could've been cut & NOTHING would've been lost whatsoever.

Also, I'm probably wrong, but I think the only filler thing that couldn't absolutely be removed with their process was Gregory. The Bulma/Ginyu shit was really stupid & I know they could've removed it because it literally added up to nothing.
WittyUsername wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:32 pm The whole crux of the scene was Goku being in denial of his Saiyan heritage, thus requiring Vegeta to tell him otherwise. The thing is, at no point in the past was Goku ever shown to be in denial of his Saiyan heritage. Even going as far back as the Saiyan arc, he happily informed Kaio that he’s a Saiyan. Hell, part of his justification for letting Vegeta go was that his Saiyan heritage meant that he couldn’t resist fighting strong opponents. The whole “I ain’t a Saiyan, I’m an Earthling” thing was purely a Toei creation, and it conflicts with what was already established in the manga.
I mean, Goku didn't fully accept he was a Saiyan outside of his DNA until the Super: Broly movie & told Broly that he could call him Kakarot, not that he ever didn't answer to that name, since Vegeta's consistently called him that since he asked for confirmation that Goku was Kakarot, so I can kinda see your point, but I think you're overthinking the symbolism of that moment. It was part of Vegeta's cry for him to avenge their people, so it went with the emotion of the scene. If it was removed, I don't think it'd be a bad thing, but meh. Then again, he shouted, "I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!" at Frieza, which mixes his Earth name & Saiyan heritage, so Goku's always had a weird relationship with his heritage & his life after he got to Earth, where he just accepts it as part of him, but it doesn't change anything because he's not of that culture himself after the first few years of his life that he can't remember.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:38 am

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:58 pm
ABED wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:40 pm I never saw it as a denial. He never denied that he had Saiyan blood, but he was in fact correct that he wasn't a part of Saiyan culture.
He seemed to be in tune enough with Saiyan culture to attribute his love of fighting to the fact that he’s a Saiyan.
That's his Saiya blood again, not Saiya culture.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:56 am

If anyone's gonna complain about not seeing the seeds of what happened to inform his development, I guess I can understand, but Toriyama just didn't wanna show it, which let the anime staff work in filler where it fit nicely. Good on them, but if it's not in the manga, it's not there, sorry. And I can't be asked to care, honestly.
It's not in the manga, but it is there. Why do you not care just because it's not in the manga?