Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:42 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:37 pm In case you guys haven't seen this, here you go:

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/statu ... 8810830848

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/statu ... 2484967424
I'd ask how this man ever passed the bar, but I don't know the first thing about that.

Imagine still thinking Vic has a chance in court.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:41 am

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:42 am
8000 Saiyan wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:37 pm In case you guys haven't seen this, here you go:

I'd ask how this man ever passed the bar, but I don't know the first thing about that.

Since I don't want to corrupt my Twitter recommendations, what do the tweets say?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:20 pm

I don't know if whatever state is in question, has a more narrow interpretation, but federal defamation is communicating an untrue statement about someone to someone else in a way that communicates authority (i.e. not saying "in my opinion"). Slander is verbal, libel is written.

Defamation, in fact, does have to be false for the simple fact that if it were true, it would be considered news.

As defamation is a tort (civil), there must be damages for the victim to be able to successfully recoup something. Damages are presumed for certain situations, such as being accused of a crime, being accused of having a loathsome communicable disease, or being accused of sexual lewdness.

Here's where it gets a little tricky: for a public figure (celebrities, politicians, people of high standing in a community), defamation is harder to prove because it must be determined that the alleged defamer knew that the information that he or she communicated was false. This means that even if the accusor went around saying that they knew for a fact that the accused robbed a bank, for example, if the accusor really believed it, the public figure accused couldn't recover damages while a non-public-figure accused could.

I'm sorry, I fell off on what led to this, but had to clarify on defamation. And yes, bar exam passed. I'm not an expert on this particular field, but that's the bare bones explanation that must be learned for the bar.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:40 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:41 am
Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:42 am

Since I don't want to corrupt my Twitter recommendations, what do the tweets say?
It's just Greg's videos of Percy's word-vomit; thankfully, he provides quotes.

"The legal definition of libel or slander – you know, we call it defamation now, but whatever – there is no requirement that the statement not be truthful."

"Because think about it: if that requirement were in there you wouldn't even need the affirmative defense, right? As a matter of basic logic, the affirmative defense of truth would be unnecessary if the elements simply said the statement had to be false."

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:08 pm

That, and, just about any criminal could sue, if the truth wasn't an affirmative defense. Charles Manson, Ted Bundy, Michael Vick...

Just being a witness would put a giant target on your head, if the truth wasn't an affirmative defense. Nothing would ever get done.

It's shocking that Ty Beard doesn't seem to realize the implications of what he's saying. Unless, of course, he wants it to be true...
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

excelhedge
Beyond Newbie

Post by excelhedge » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:04 pm

So has the actual defamation case actually gone anywhere, or this still insult the lawyers portion of the thread?

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:59 pm

Why should anyone separate the bogus lawsuit from the bogus lawyers responsible? If Rekieta or Beard is talking about the suit and says something completely batshit, that's related to the suit and they deserve to be criticized for it. When legal decisions happen, you'll hear about it. Until then these complaints and attitude still look like a half-assed defense of these characters without going so far as to actually commit to one's beliefs.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:32 pm

excelhedge wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:04 pm So has the actual defamation case actually gone anywhere, or this still insult the lawyers portion of the thread?
Lawsuits tend to be pretty slow, sadly. Even the slam dunk cases. That said, Beard's representing Mignogna, so it's important to keep track of any errors he makes in either judgment or ethics.

This newest clip is both, as his bogus "the truth isn't a defense against being sued" argument isn't relevant, unless he knows (or at least suspects) that Vic is guilty.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:36 am

Fionordequester wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:32 pm
excelhedge wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:04 pm So has the actual defamation case actually gone anywhere, or this still insult the lawyers portion of the thread?
Lawsuits tend to be pretty slow, sadly. Even the slam dunk cases. That said, Beard's representing Mignogna, so it's important to keep track of any errors he makes in either judgment or ethics.

This newest clip is both, as his bogus "the truth isn't a defense against being sued" argument isn't relevant, unless he knows (or at least suspects) that Vic is guilty.
On top of this, I haven't bothered sharing any updates since the past week's been nothing but bad-faith distractions that're irrelevant to the case, with the latest involving Rekieta waving around drama between Ron and his ex-wife. I'll spare y'all the conspiracy theories, but I think we can all agree him apparently being subject to a protective order doesn't disprove Vic's predatory antics.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:40 pm

All it does is show the difference between a mature man, and an immature man. One pays for his crimes, accepts responsibility, and turns over a new leaf before the past can catch up to him.

The other blames everyone else for his problems, and... well, we all see the result, don't we?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:00 am

I've heard the rumors about Bryce Papenbrook as Broly. Meh, I doubt that he has the range to pull off Broly. Not to mention that I find him to be just as overrated as Johnny Yong Bosch.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:48 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:00 am I've heard the rumors about Bryce Papenbrook as Broly. Meh, I doubt that he has the range to pull off Broly. Not to mention that I find him to be just as overrated as Johnny Yong Bosch.
Broly ‘s character requires 0 range. There was jothinf special about Vic Lasagna’s take.

excelhedge
Beyond Newbie

Post by excelhedge » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:57 am

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:36 am
Fionordequester wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:32 pm

On top of this, I haven't bothered sharing any updates since the past week's been nothing but bad-faith distractions that're irrelevant to the case, with the latest involving Rekieta waving around drama between Ron and his ex-wife. I'll spare y'all the conspiracy theories, but I think we can all agree him apparently being subject to a protective order doesn't disprove Vic's predatory antics.
Just remember using Toye's own Disposition Logic if enough people say he's a wife beating jerk that even threaten to chop up the family dog, then it must be true.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:24 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:48 am Broly ‘s character requires 0 range. There was jothinf special about Vic Lasagna’s take.
Maybe for the old character (particularly Second Coming), but I feel like his take in the Super movie did have some range between his battle character and his out of battle character. (plus, nobody's really saying this stuff towards Broly's Japanese voice actor)

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:17 pm

excelhedge wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:57 am Just remember using Toye's own Disposition Logic if enough people say he's a wife beating jerk that even threaten to chop up the family dog, then it must be true.
Thing is that goes right back the other way too. It's funny how for so many Vic defenders, court documents full of things talking about what Vic has done are in no way evidence of anything, and yet suddenly a court document comes up showing something against someone they hate, and they're all about it? Clearly there's no bias at play here, what-so-ever.

On the topic of a new actor for Broly, I imagine we'll probably find out sooner than we expect who they've cast. Don't we basically just have Gogeta and Broly left to get added to FighterZ? I'd be very surprised if Broly for that had been recorded far enough in advance to be Vic still.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

excelhedge
Beyond Newbie

Post by excelhedge » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:52 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:17 pm
excelhedge wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:57 am Just remember using Toye's own Disposition Logic if enough people say he's a wife beating jerk that even threaten to chop up the family dog, then it must be true.
Thing is that goes right back the other way too. It's funny how for so many Vic defenders, court documents full of things talking about what Vic has done are in no way evidence of anything, and yet suddenly a court document comes up showing something against someone they hate, and they're all about it? Clearly there's no bias at play here, what-so-ever.

On the topic of a new actor for Broly, I imagine we'll probably find out sooner than we expect who they've cast. Don't we basically just have Gogeta and Broly left to get added to FighterZ? I'd be very surprised if Broly for that had been recorded far enough in advance to be Vic still.
Well it's not like it's hard to match Vic's voice for Broly.

Correct me if I'm wrong but they've used sound a like for Broly before

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:00 pm

I feel sorry for the VA who replaces him. They'll get harassed to no end just for daring to take over for Vic. I'm sure the calls for boycotting/cancelling whoever it is will start the second after he's revealed. Hope he has a thick skin.

An interesting graphic has been floating around the last couple days, showing the progress of the Go Fund Me account...
...as in, it's slowed down considerably in the last month. Of course, it could mean many things, including that a campaign losing steam is to be expected after several months, or that the children supporting it have simply run out of allowance money :lol: Though I'd like to think it's the fact that more and more people are realizing this is a lost cause, and they don't want to throw in money that's inevitably going to wind paying the legal team for the "filthy backstabbers" they so loathe.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:05 pm

Any updates on how the lawsuit is faring?

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:07 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:05 pm Any updates on how the lawsuit is faring?
Funny you ask: Monica and Ron just filed a new response to Vic's motion to strike.
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:17 pm
That's not even getting into how there's no evidence of him being a "wife beater". Or that the case in question was dismissed. Or that, in the end, this has nothing to do with Vic's case.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:11 pm

There's a hearing scheduled for September 6th, which will be the first time we hear a judge's opinion on this mess. Though he may not make rulings right away on all of the four different lawsuits, law Twitter speculates that he may rule on some immediately, then take up to 30 days to complete judgments on others. If he agrees that the lawsuits are bogus, I think it ends there? (don't quote me on this, I don't really know the process). If he thinks that they have merit, then it's possible for the cases to go to a jury (again, feel free to correct me if I'm off base).
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube