I'm done with the dub UPDATE

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

I'm done with the dub UPDATE

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:05 pm

I previously posted my first thread to the DBS section for context. Anyway, I'm not suddenly for the dub. Still, the Funimation cast was my childhood. However, seeing what happens behind the scenes such as the Vic and Monica drama and the leaked DB dub outtake audio (despite it just being jokes from years ago seemingly), it just further cements something in my eyes: To most of Kanzenshuu's delight, I am probably going to be a sub first fan moving forward.

I've grown to really appreciate the accuracy of the original Japanese version along with the cast themselves like Masako Nozawa. She really exemplifies Goku to me now. Sean is no Goku in real-life. I know acting is acting and I should differentiate the two, but with a character as fun-loving as Goku, it's difficult.

I've been planning to do this for a long time and now I'm certain it's the right decision. I'm going to watch Dragon Ball to Z as it originally aired with the original Masako-led cast and script. I grew up with Naruto and watched it as it came out. I owe it to myself as a DB fan to see it as the story was intended to be viewed like Naruto to Shippuden not Shippuden to Naruto if you know what I mean.

I'll still check in on the dub because I still enjoy Sean's Goku on its own along with some good talent in the dub cast who are some really cool people in real life and I'll play the games dubbed for what it's worth, but yeah - Sub first from now on. Besides, at this point with all the English cast drama, Toei may want Viz to dub DB from now on, I dunno. So we'd get more accurate translations? That could be cool. Thoughts?

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: I'm done with the dub UPDATE

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:18 pm

If you're expecting the Japanese side of things to be any better, you're going to be sorely disappointed. FUNimation at least kept their perversions locked away.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I don't like the stuff that was leaked either. I'm a puritanical, Christian man who doesn't even believe in "sex before marriage".

But In telling you, the squeaky clean, wholesome company you're seeking doesn't exist. Toei's worse, if anything...
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:35 pm

Yeah, the Japanese industry has a long history of doing way worse stuff than this behind the scenes and being completely unapologetic about it, too. I guarantee Toei won't do shit about it.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:42 pm

Valerius Dover wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:35 pm Yeah, the Japanese industry has a long history of doing way worse stuff than this behind the scenes and being completely unapologetic about it, too. I guarantee Toei won't do shit about it.
A bunch of people on Twitter (including Rekieta) seem convinced that this will in fact sever FUNimation’s relationship with Toei. I don’t know why they’d think that. Maybe if Toei were owned by Disney or something, it’d be a different story, but they’re a Japanese company. Japan doesn't care about offensive humor. PC culture is hardly a thing over there, if it’s even a thing there at all.

Zinnia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zinnia » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:49 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:18 pm Toei's worse, if anything...
Valerius Dover wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:35 pm Yeah, the Japanese industry has a long history of doing way worse stuff than this behind the scenes and being completely unapologetic about it, too. I guarantee Toei won't do shit about it.
At least the voice actors aren't just a bunch of entitled manchildren. They all seem honorable, meanwhile on the dub side...

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:01 pm

mecha3000 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:05 pm I previously posted my first thread to the DBS section for context. Anyway, I'm not suddenly for the dub. Still, the Funimation cast was my childhood. However, seeing what happens behind the scenes such as the Vic and Monica drama and the leaked DB dub outtake audio (despite it just being jokes from years ago seemingly), it just further cements something in my eyes: To most of Kanzenshuu's delight, I am probably going to be a sub first fan moving forward.

I've grown to really appreciate the accuracy of the original Japanese version along with the cast themselves like Masako Nozawa. She really exemplifies Goku to me now. Sean is no Goku in real-life. I know acting is acting and I should differentiate the two, but with a character as fun-loving as Goku, it's difficult.

I've been planning to do this for a long time and now I'm certain it's the right decision. I'm going to watch Dragon Ball to Z as it originally aired with the original Masako-led cast and script. I grew up with Naruto and watched it as it came out. I owe it to myself as a DB fan to see it as the story was intended to be viewed like Naruto to Shippuden not Shippuden to Naruto if you know what I mean.

I'll still check in on the dub because I still enjoy Sean's Goku on its own along with some good talent in the dub cast who are some really cool people in real life and I'll play the games dubbed for what it's worth, but yeah - Sub first from now on. Besides, at this point with all the English cast drama, Toei may want Viz to dub DB from now on, I dunno. So we'd get more accurate translations? That could be cool. Thoughts?
Very good post. I switched to the original subbed version when DBS first aired. I watched it dubbed as a kid, and even modern Toonami since Kai aired. But ever since this Vic drama went off, I can't immerse myself into the dubbed version. All I think about now is 2 political parties spreading their propaganda instead of getting myself lost in the DB Universe. I can safely say I'm a sub fan only now.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:01 pm

I meant to include my thoughts on how Japan ain't perfect either, but forgot. I wrote so much. Anyway, I guess it's an out of sight/out of mind thing with me. But you guys are completely right. No company's perfect.

Still, I plan to watch Dragon Ball through Z from the start in Japanese anyway. Even before the controversy, that was the plan.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:17 pm

mecha3000 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:01 pm Still, I plan to watch Dragon Ball through Z from the start in Japanese anyway. Even before the controversy, that was the plan.
Rock on 👍.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:05 pm

The dub cast is honestly unprofessional and a complete mess. I grew up with the dub but saw all of Super subbed and I have to admit that it's hard to go back to the dub especially after this Vic/Monica scandal and the recent leaked audio mess.
One World. 🌐 🕊

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:56 pm

PhoenixEX wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:05 pm The dub cast is honestly unprofessional and a complete mess. I grew up with the dub but saw all of Super subbed and I have to admit that it's hard to go back to the dub especially after this Vic/Monica scandal and the recent leaked audio mess.
Why? Both are barely in the dub.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:06 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:56 pm
PhoenixEX wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:05 pm The dub cast is honestly unprofessional and a complete mess. I grew up with the dub but saw all of Super subbed and I have to admit that it's hard to go back to the dub especially after this Vic/Monica scandal and the recent leaked audio mess.
Vic really isn’t and I have no idea why he’s getting such heavy association with the Dragon ball dub.

But Monica has been pretty heavily tied with modern Dragon Ball being Bulma since 2010 and all. Although you’d have to be some kind of asshole to blame Monica for anything in that conflict.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:43 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:06 pm
ABED wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:56 pm
Vic really isn’t and I have no idea why he’s getting such heavy association with the Dragon ball dub.

But Monica has been pretty heavily tied with modern Dragon Ball being Bulma since 2010 and all. Although you’d have to be some kind of asshole to blame Monica for anything in that conflict.
Thanks. Chalk up my comment to passage of time. Even though it was nearly 10 years ago, it feels like a lot less because times are going so damn fast. I just recently turned 34 and these past 17 years went WAY faster than the first 17.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:46 pm

There are very good reasons to switch to sub. But the fact the dub team fired one of their actors for sexual harassment isn't one of them.

That's what this all links back to- the leaked audio was to "punish" them for listening to women.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:19 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:46 pm There are very good reasons to switch to sub. But the fact the dub team fired one of their actors for sexual harassment isn't one of them.

That's what this all links back to- the leaked audio was to "punish" them for listening to women.
Facts. If you’re gonna to switch to the sub do it because it’s the purest accessible form of the show and has way better acting not because they fired some creepy asshole

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:52 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:19 pm Facts. If you’re gonna to switch to the sub do it because it’s the purest accessible form of the show and has way better acting not because they fired some creepy asshole
To be fair, I think his decision is more due to there being drama period. Doesn't care if it's justified drama, he still gets a headache from it. Is that what you're saying, Mecha?

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:56 am

Fionordequester wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:52 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:19 pm Facts. If you’re gonna to switch to the sub do it because it’s the purest accessible form of the show and has way better acting not because they fired some creepy asshole
To be fair, I think his decision is more due to there being drama period. Doesn't care if it's justified drama, he still gets a headache from it. Is that what you're saying, Mecha?
My decision was already made before the drama, but the drama further cemented it. I'm at a point where I want to re-experience Dragon Ball as intended from start to finish in Japanese from DB through Z - regardless of the Funimation drama. I prefer ki over energy, Freeza over Frieza, SAIyan over SAYan. You get the point.

I want to look at Goku from OG Dragon Ball as Goku, not Kid Goku in the same way Naruto from Part 1 is not Kid Naruto. I want to experience DB with all the intended translations in a way I never understood as a kid. I want to fully immerse myself in the intended experience.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:09 am

Welcome to the club. I first watched it all in Japanese sometime in 2014, and haven’t went back since. You come to understand the story much better, and your appreciation for it will grow.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:56 am

It's much better in Japanese with subs anyway. You will thoroughly enjoy it, probably more than the dub.

I will say, don't let all this nonsense ruin the dub for you. What they did was stupid and childish, not evil or manipulative. Just plain stupid. People make mistakes and these fools juat crapped the Funimation bed. I enjoyed the DBS: Broly dub in theaters more than any dubbed Dragon Ball product I've seen. They've gotten much better. Tbh this doesn't really change my opinion of the english VA's. It does make what they did to Vic kind of sickening, as he was a great Broly and couldn't have been any less of a turd behind the scenes than these guys clearly are.

It's just comical really. Not the low brow humor from said leaks of course, just the situation itself. It is a bit sad for the fans who's nostalgia is now scarred.. But I've always preferred dubs, so welcome to the light my friend.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:08 am

dprez wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:56 am . It does make what they did to Vic kind of sickening, as he was a great Broly and couldn't have been any less of a turd behind the scenes than these guys clearly are.

JFC. Are you fucking kidding me?

You do know actual sexual harassment is way worse than some juvenile off-color low brow humor? Like, this shouldn’t even a difficult concept to grasp

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:04 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:08 am
dprez wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:56 am . It does make what they did to Vic kind of sickening, as he was a great Broly and couldn't have been any less of a turd behind the scenes than these guys clearly are.

JFC. Are you fucking kidding me?

You do know actual sexual harassment is way worse than some juvenile off-color low brow humor? Like, this shouldn’t even a difficult concept to grasp
They through Vic under the bus with no real evidence. And step off the intellectual high horse.