Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:11 pm

Goku killed that sapient fish for no reason other than that he was hungry, and was going to do the same to Umigame.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:20 pm

What sapient fish? Could you please be more specific.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:29 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:20 pm What sapient fish? Could you please be more specific.
the one at the very start of the series.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:38 pm

There is nothing indicating that fish has sapience or that Goku knows and he didnt care.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:49 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:38 pm There is nothing indicating that fish has sapience or that Goku knows and he didnt care.
I assume he’s referring to the fact that it could talk.

But oh well fish are food not friends or pets.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:54 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:29 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:20 pm What sapient fish? Could you please be more specific.
I'm sorry to say but ZHZZHZHZHZHZH isnt talking.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:56 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:54 pm
Soppa Saia People wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:29 pm
I'm sorry to say but ZHZZHZHZHZHZH isnt talking.
It spoke in the anime.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:56 pm

and on the previous page.

(sorry that i didn't include that in the other post, my mistake)
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:10 pm

I assumed RandomGuy96 was joking.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:11 pm

Ok you got me good there. But Goku doesnt even know the fish is sentient.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:56 am

Original or "pure" doesn't mean better. Sometimes localizations make aspects of a series better.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:33 am

Kokonoe wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:56 am Original or "pure" doesn't mean better. Sometimes localizations make aspects of a series better.
Care to give some specific examples?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:09 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:33 am
Kokonoe wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:56 am Original or "pure" doesn't mean better. Sometimes localizations make aspects of a series better.
If I can interject, Goku, Gohan, Goten, & Bardock being voiced by different actors & men when they're adults for one. I don't hate Masako Nozawa, but I think even her most hardened fans can understand why some people don't like her as the adult versions of these characters, or just all of the male members of Goku's family sans Raditz.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:24 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:33 am
First one that comes to mind is a scene that's good in both.
Gohan... let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel, Gohan. You are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings, but it is because you cherish life that you must protect it...

Please, drop your restraints. Protect the life I loved. You have the strength. My scanner sensed it.

Just.... let it go...
S-Son Gohan. It is no sin to fight for what is right. There are opponents with which you cannot talk things out. Set your spirit free to your anger. I know how it feels. You just can’t take it any longer. Nature and the animals that I, too, liked...

D-Defend them for me.
But for me, the localization lines speak to me a lot more. The line in particular that really does it for me is this:
There are those who words alone will not reach.
vs
There are opponents with which you cannot talk things out.
The latter feels rather run of the mill, whereas the localization makes this line more creative and emotional. It's honestly one of my favorite moments, if not favorite moment of the entire series.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:41 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:09 pm If I can interject, Goku, Gohan, Goten, & Bardock being voiced by different actors & men when they're adults for one. I don't hate Masako Nozawa, but I think even her most hardened fans can understand why some people don't like her as the adult versions of these characters, or just all of the male members of Goku's family sans Raditz.
this feels weird to me, i get the different actors part but none of those characters need to be voiced by a male. i understand why people don't like Nozawa's performance as much as i love it, but i don't get why people always throw out "but she's a GIRL voicing male characters", especially because you almost never see dislike for Tanaka's kuririn. of course, i'm not saying if you dislike Nozawa but like Tanaka you're a hypocrite, especially compared to how subdued Tanaka is as kuririn compared to all of Nozawa's performances, just that gender shouldn't have anything to do with it.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:43 pm

A lot of that seems less to do with original vs. adaptation and just a matter of syntax of the subtitles.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:01 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:41 pm
Scsigs wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:09 pm If I can interject, Goku, Gohan, Goten, & Bardock being voiced by different actors & men when they're adults for one. I don't hate Masako Nozawa, but I think even her most hardened fans can understand why some people don't like her as the adult versions of these characters, or just all of the male members of Goku's family sans Raditz.
this feels weird to me, i get the different actors part but none of those characters need to be voiced by a male. i understand why people don't like Nozawa's performance as much as i love it, but i don't get why people always throw out "but she's a GIRL voicing male characters", especially because you almost never see dislike for Tanaka's kuririn. of course, i'm not saying if you dislike Nozawa but like Tanaka you're a hypocrite, especially compared to how subdued Tanaka is as kuririn compared to all of Nozawa's performances, just that gender shouldn't have anything to do with it.

I would wager its because Goku is seen as the epitome of masculinity and male wish fulfillment of the ideal male physique (never mind that Goku is a manchild and Nozawa’s young boy voice suits him). Because Kuririn is seen as “wimpy” and “beta” its okay for him to sound female.

It’s the same reason I think fanboys prefer Nadolny over Clinkenbeard. To them Gohan is suppose to be “cool” (despite the character always being a bit of a dork) so even though Clinkenbeard is much much closer to how an actual prepubescent boy would sound Nadolny’s raspy voice just sounds “cooler and badass”’to them.

I do think Nozawa wasn’t quite the right choice for Bardock.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:45 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:01 pm I would wager its because Goku is seen as the epitome of masculinity and male wish fulfillment of the ideal male physique (never mind that Goku is a manchild and Nozawa’s young boy voice suits him). Because Kuririn is seen as “wimpy” and “beta” its okay for him to sound female.

It’s the same reason I think fanboys prefer Nadolny over Clinkenbeard. To them Gohan is suppose to be “cool” (despite the character always being a bit of a dork) so even though Clinkenbeard is much much closer to how an actual prepubescent boy would sound Nadolny’s raspy voice just sounds “cooler and badass" to them.

I do think Nozawa wasn’t quite the right choice for Bardock.
With me, it's because I don't really buy the voice tones Goku, Gohan, Goten, Bardock, & Krillin have when they're older that they have in Japanese. You get a consistent performance with the characters by keeping Nozawa & Tanaka on for them, which the English side doesn't always have, but I wouldn't have imagined those characters with those voice tones. Hell, to say Goku's male family members across 3 generations, minus 1, would all have the same voice tones across them is REALLY fucking stupid & a real overuse of Nozawa.

A friend of mine said something a few months back that I can't disagree with, that being that he can't understand who's talking when Goku & at least one of his sons is in the scene unless he looks at the screen, & this is because Nozawa's voices for the characters are all exactly the same. The differences I've seen people point out are so minute that you'd either have to really pay attention, rewatch the series, or be fluent in Japanese to pick up on. It's not like Goku & Goku Black where it's a complete 180 in terms of take on the character's voice. That showed me I actually like Nozawa as a voice actress, I just prefer a more subdued Nozawa. Her voice for Goku is always over-the-top to try to sell his naive & hick nature, especially in Super where they don't ever consistently understand Goku's character because they really tried too hard to reverse what Toriyama said was making Goku more of a righteous figure in the anime adaptations of the manga & other material & had NO nuance to him whatsoever. When DBZ Abridged, a parody, has Goku have more nuance in his characterization than the official source material of new stories, there's a problem. Toriyama's lack of being in the writer's room or at least supervising scripts is one of the problems there. Nozawa is just matching what's in the animation & what's in the scripts. Schemmel's been doing that too in the English dub, though he has problems of his own when HE does it too.

Tanaka as Krillin always takes me for surprise because she sounds NOTHING like a man when playing him. Nozawa, I can see someone making the case, but Tanaka you can't, at least to me. It always sounds like a woman deepening her voice.

Another VA I have problems with them doing this with is Takeshi Kusao, who was cast in a reversed situation to Nozawa & Tanaka, where he played older Trunks first, then played the younger alternate timeline version later on & can NEVER actually sound convincingly like a kid no matter how hard he tries.

To address the Clinkenbeard VS Nadolny thing, I just don't think Colleen Clinkenbeard was the person to fill Nadolny's shoes...at least at first. Though she sounds more like a kid than Nadolny, Clinkenbeard at first, I think, was holding back, or being directed to hold back. Particularly in her screams. She has pulled off WONDERFUL screams as Luffy in the dub of One Piece since Kai was recorded. I think her later takes in Xenoverse 2 are better fits than Kai, since she was more comfortable. Her deepening the voice a bit also helped. It's kinda like Monica Rial as Bulma. At first, I didn't like her, but I realized it was all in the direction because Bulma early on in Z is a bitch, but in the Cell Saga, she mellows out, & now I don't mind Rial in the role, though she's FAR from my ideal Bulma voice. She's certainly a more convincing actress than Vollmer, who always felt like she was just playing a character rather than acting, if that makes sense.
Last edited by Scsigs on Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:52 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:45 pm .

A friend of mine said something a few months back that I can't disagree with, he can't understand who's talking when Goku & one of his sons is in the scene unless he looks at the scene, & this is because Nozawa's vices for the characters are all exactly the same. The differences I've seen people point out are so minute that you'd either have to really pay attention, rewatch the series, or be fluent in Japanese to pick up on. It's not like Goku & Goku Black where it's a complete 180 in terms of take on the character's voice. That showed me I actually like Nozawa as a voice actress, I just prefer a more subdued Nozawa.
Which isn’t even a little bit true. Kid Goku, Adult Goku, Kid Gohan, older Gohan, and Goten all sound distinctively different and are quite easy to pick out without
having to watch the screen.
To address the Clinkenbeard VS Nadolny thing, I just don't think Colleen Clinkenbeard was the person to fill Nadolny's shoes...at least at first.
Not that Nadolny left any shoes to fill in any shape or form.
. It's kinda like Monica Rial as Bulma. At first, I didn't like her, but I realized it was all in the direction because Bulma early on in Z is a bitch, but in the Cell Saga, she mellows out, & now I don't mind Rial in the role, though she's FAR from my ideal Bulma voice. SHe's certainly a more convincing actress than Vollmer, who always felt like she was just playing a character rather than acting, if that makes sense.
I’ve always liked Lalaina Lindjberg the best but will take Rial any day of the week over Vollmer who just sounds like she was directed to sound like “a bitch” and that was her only direction.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:09 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:52 pm
Which isn’t even a little bit true. Kid Goku, Adult Goku, Kid Gohan, older Gohan, and Goten all sound distinctively different and are quite easy to pick out without
having to watch the screen.
i can sorta understand how people think boo saga gohan and adult goku sound too much alike, but i feel like if you're familiar enough with either voice it won't be a issue, but everything else i just don't see. kid gohan and goku especially sound very different, i genuinely don't understand how someone can confuse the two. same with goten and gohan/goku.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸