Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:57 pm

I am not reminded of the time Sabat called Schemmel a douche at an after dark panel, LOL.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:15 pm

Glad to see the consensus on this here. The outrage is ludicrous. It's also clear that the final segment was recorded possibly twenty years ago, given the surfer Yamcha voice, which Sabat had dropped by the time they started dubbing Dragon Ball.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:21 pm

Ludicroud or not, this is now a huge stain on FUNimation, and while I don't think it's grounds for Toei to remove the license, they will likely have a stern talking with them. First it was the TFS cameo situation, now this. You can rest assured Sabat won't be trying anything else to anger them here on out.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:33 pm

I haven't been following Funimation lately and I only just saw this in my YouTube feed, but I doubt Toei will care about any of this. Funimation made up cartoon voices for DBZ characters... and recorded themselves in character for comedic effect, privately. What exactly is the stain on Funimation? Is it that the VAs role played vulgar scenarios in-character? I suspect all VAs have done this in some way or another.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:41 pm

jelleline89 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:21 pm Ludicroud or not, this is now a huge stain on FUNimation, and while I don't think it's grounds for Toei to remove the license, they will likely have a stern talking with them. First it was the TFS cameo situation, now this. You can rest assured Sabat won't be trying anything else to anger them here on out.
I don't think so at all. As best I can tell the TFS stuff stems from copyright issues, but this is nothing. There's literally nothing going on here that that would require their attention and I don't know why anyone thinks there is. This is in no way a huge stain on FUNi.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:07 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:41 pm
jelleline89 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:21 pm Ludicroud or not, this is now a huge stain on FUNimation, and while I don't think it's grounds for Toei to remove the license, they will likely have a stern talking with them. First it was the TFS cameo situation, now this. You can rest assured Sabat won't be trying anything else to anger them here on out.
I don't think so at all. As best I can tell the TFS stuff stems from copyright issues, but this is nothing. There's literally nothing going on here that that would require their attention and I don't know why anyone thinks there is. This is in no way a huge stain on FUNi.
I agree. If you want a reference for something that FUNimation did that legitimately pissed Toei the hell off, that would be something like the "One Piece Episode Leak Incident" of a few years back. In summary, around the time FUNimation started simul-casting subbed episodes of One Piece, it was discovered that their cyber-security measures bordered on non-existent, and people were able to watch a subbed episode of the show before it even aired in Japan. FUNimation employees later admitted that that incident brought forth Toei's unbound, full-blown wrath, to the point where they almost revoked FUNimation's license to the show.

It's something like that that would make Toei angry, though. They couldn't possibly care less about a private joke that was never intended for public release and was never sold in any capacity. The only people "outraged" by these leaks are the people that think this will somehow act as "cosmic revenge" against FUNimation for a certain voice actor. Indeed, like others have noted, most of the comments I've seen on Facebook, YouTube, and so forth have been comments to the effect of "So....like, what's the big deal?", or, "This isn't offensive, it's funny." I have yet to see a "this is outrageous!"-post that didn't also reference a certain other voice actor.

Bottom line, something that was done as a private joke never intended for public consumption and never released in any official capacity...does not count as "using Toei's property for non-official purposes, thus breaking the licensing agreement." Whoever said that is uninformed and just trying to stir up drama.
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Guntank

Post by Guntank » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:09 pm

Its not a stain on Funimation at all. Have you ever seen dub anime outtakes before? C'mon bro Toei isn't going to do anything

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:14 pm

If anything, part of me wants to hear the other outtakes that I've heard exist. Chris Sabat once said at a con that he sang an English cover of "Dragon Soul" as a joke back when they were dubbing Kai, that they were never actually going to use his version, and that he purposefully sang it badly (and with a heavy southern accent) just to make his co-workers laugh.

Watch, that'll leak and then they'll get accused of breaking a licensing agreement with Columbia Records.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:18 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:07 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:41 pm
I agree. If you want a reference for something that FUNimation did that legitimately pissed Toei the hell off, that would be something like the "One Piece Episode Leak Incident" of a few years back. In summary, around the time FUNimation started simul-casting subbed episodes of One Piece, it was discovered that their cyber-security measures bordered on non-existent, and people were able to watch a subbed episode of the show before it even aired in Japan. FUNimation employees later admitted that that incident brought forth Toei's unbound, full-blown wrath, to the point where they almost revoked FUNimation's license to the show.

It's something like that that would make Toei angry, though. They couldn't possibly care less about a private joke that was never intended for public release and was never sold in any capacity. The only people "outraged" by these leaks are the people that think this will somehow act as "cosmic revenge" against FUNimation for a certain voice actor. Indeed, like others have noted, most of the comments I've seen on Facebook, YouTube, and so forth have been comments to the effect of "So....like, what's the big deal?", or, "This isn't offensive, it's funny." I have yet to see a "this is outrageous!"-post that didn't also reference a certain other voice actor.

Bottom line, something that was done as a private joke never intended for public consumption and never released in any official capacity...does not count as "using Toei's property for non-official purposes, thus breaking the licensing agreement." Whoever said that is uninformed and just trying to stir up drama.
Agreed, I will believe this will sever Funimation's relationship with TOEI when I see it. I think there is a vocal minority who want the Funimation cast removed from Dragon Ball for whatever reason and jump at opportunities like this to create clickbait videos and articles, but they will soon stand corrected.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:32 pm

i think the dub is done and we may be never getting any more dbz content

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:41 pm

In before Cloverway 2.0 happens.

LOL, okay, no. FUNimation won't lose the license over a few outtakes. If anything it'd be the rapists they allow to roam throughout their halls.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:46 pm

Are there a lot of others besides Vic himself? I know of Todd Haberkorn, but not of anyone else.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:51 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:46 pm Are there a lot of others besides Vic himself? I know of Todd Haberkorn, but not of anyone else.
Huber the Aologist isn't exactly a saint with his harmful values. Who knows how long anyone tolerated that p*do that was eventually found out, either.

A lot of really dumb shit goes on at FUNimation. Remember, there's a reason that they're stationed in Texas: easier to violate labor rights.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:55 pm

look how can Toei still work with Funimation?? i see no good and We may end up with them losing everything they licensed from toei

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:56 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:51 pmHuber the Aologist isn't exactly a saint with his harmful values. Who knows how long anyone tolerated that p*do that was eventually found out, either.

A lot of really dumb shit goes on at FUNimation. Remember, there's a reason that they're stationed in Texas: easier to violate labor rights.
So we've got Todd Haberkorn (I'm assuming that's the pedo)... But in Huber's case, that just makes him an enabler and a moron. All bad on their own, but not an outright rapist... though I guess it wouldn't be any surprise if that turned out to be the case, too.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:17 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:56 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:51 pmHuber the Aologist isn't exactly a saint with his harmful values. Who knows how long anyone tolerated that p*do that was eventually found out, either.

So we've got Todd Haberkorn (I'm assuming that's the pedo)... But in Huber's case, that just makes him an enabler and a moron. All bad on their own, but not an outright rapist... though I guess it wouldn't be any surprise if that turned out to be the case, too.
No. I’m pretty sure JulieYBM is talking about Scott Freeman.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:44 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:51 pm
Fionordequester wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:46 pm Are there a lot of others besides Vic himself? I know of Todd Haberkorn, but not of anyone else.
Huber the Aologist isn't exactly a saint with his harmful values. Who knows how long anyone tolerated that p*do that was eventually found out, either.

And here I thought they were stationed in Texas because the people who started the company lived in Texas.

cloud1414
Beyond Newbie

Post by cloud1414 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:47 pm

Looks like the news is reaching japan.
https://jp.ign.com/dragonball-z/38165/news/z

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:56 pm

cloud1414 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:47 pm Looks like the news is reaching japan.
https://jp.ign.com/dragonball-z/38165/news/z
It’s a shame the dude whose tweet they reposted is some weird Rieketa stan.
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:01 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:44 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:51 pm

And here I thought they were stationed in Texas because the people who started the company lived in Texas.
There's an old interview where it was admitted that they consolidated in Texas from three different states. Hell if I remember where this was mentioned originally.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter