Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by Karrit » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:16 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:51 pm
Fionordequester wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:46 pm Are there a lot of others besides Vic himself? I know of Todd Haberkorn, but not of anyone else.
Huber the Aologist isn't exactly a saint with his harmful values. Who knows how long anyone tolerated that p*do that was eventually found out, either.

A lot of really dumb shit goes on at FUNimation. Remember, there's a reason that they're stationed in Texas: easier to violate labor rights.
Huber is a pedo? I know he used to principal at a Catholic school and believing Harry Potter was Satanic, despite the fact that a devout Catholic, J.R.R. Tolkien, writing one of the greatest fantasy books in modern times. He also mentioned in an interview that he's a Flat Earther.

As for FUNi, most companies do dumb shit at some point. When I was in training at J.P. Morgan Chase, I was observing an experienced call center agent that put an irate customer on mute so she could vent by cussing the client out and even flipped the bird at the phone. I was on the manual team and we would have a field day when we got the weirdest voicemails.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:23 pm

In all fairness, before they went with an in-house cast based in Texas, they were using the Ocean cast, which was a cast of unionized actors in Vancouver. I'm sure it was financially beneficial for them to use non-union talent when they switched over to using an in-house cast and had zero money to work with, but I don't know that they're necessarily based in Texas for the purpose of getting around labor laws.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:23 pm

Karrit wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:16 pm and believing Harry Potter was Satanic, despite the fact that a devout Catholic, J.R.R. Tolkien, writing one of the greatest fantasy books in modern times. He also mentioned in an interview that he's a Flat Earther
So we know he’s an idiot then.

, I was observing an experienced call center agent that put an irate customer on mute so she could vent by cussing the client out and even flipped the bird at the phone. I was on the manual team and we would have a field day when we got the weirdest voicemails.
This is literally my work day.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:28 pm

Karrit wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:16 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:51 pm
Fionordequester wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:46 pm Are there a lot of others besides Vic himself? I know of Todd Haberkorn, but not of anyone else.
Huber the Aologist isn't exactly a saint with his harmful values. Who knows how long anyone tolerated that p*do that was eventually found out, either.

A lot of really dumb shit goes on at FUNimation. Remember, there's a reason that they're stationed in Texas: easier to violate labor rights.
Huber is a pedo? I know he used to principal at a Catholic school and believing Harry Potter was Satanic, despite the fact that a devout Catholic, J.R.R. Tolkien, writing one of the greatest fantasy books in modern times. He also mentioned in an interview that he's a Flat Earther.

As for FUNi, most companies do dumb shit at some point. When I was in training at J.P. Morgan Chase, I was observing an experienced call center agent that put an irate customer on mute so she could vent by cussing the client out and even flipped the bird at the phone. I was on the manual team and we would have a field day when we got the weirdest voicemails.
No, Scott Freeman. I was blanking on his name at the time and didn't want to search for his name so I didn't have to type unsavory words into a search engine.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:36 pm

So, I'm very much a newb in the Japanese language... but I'm still trying to learn. As such, I've tried to translate the one and only comment so far. Anyone mind telling me how I do? If so, here goes...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
終わったな
出たばかりのファイアーエムブレムでも声優の個人的なトラブルが理由でいきなり声優変更になったぽいけど、ドラゴンボールは一人や二人じゃない上にキャラクターを演じての差別的発言ってのがどうにもね。長年同じ声優で固定してただろうし、出演作もアニメやゲームと広範だからヤバすぎるわ
今年のバンダイナムコは海外でリークだの被害に遭い過ぎ。お祓いに行った方がいい

"They're screwed.

If they're suddenly replacing that one voice actor in Fire Emblem, just for some personal shit in his private life... then they need to start setting things right. Dragon Ball Z isn't just some two-bit anime, and we've got them saying discriminatory things in-character. These actors have played these characters for years, and they've appeared in countless anime & video games... They can't just ignore this. Bandai NAMCO's reputation overseas has suffered too much already.

They need to clean up their act. Immediately."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...Again, I'm a complete newb. If I've made any errors (or just botched the whole thing), please tell me.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:05 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:36 pm So, I'm very much a newb in the Japanese language... but I'm still trying to learn. As such, I've tried to translate the one and only comment so far. Anyone mind telling me how I do? If so, here goes...

終わったな
出たばかりのファイアーエムブレムでも声優の個人的なトラブルが理由でいきなり声優変更になったぽいけど、ドラゴンボールは一人や二人じゃない上にキャラクターを演じての差別的発言ってのがどうにもね。長年同じ声優で固定してただろうし、出演作もアニメやゲームと広範だからヤバすぎるわ

"They're screwed.

If they're suddenly replacing that one voice actor in Fire Emblem, just for some personal shit in his private life... then they need to start setting things right. Dragon Ball Z isn't just some two-bit anime, and we've got them saying discriminatory things in-character. These actors have played these characters for years, and they've appeared in countless anime & video games... They can't just ignore this. Bandai NAMCO's reputation overseas has suffered too much already.

...Again, I'm a complete newb. If I've made any errors (or just botched the whole thing), please tell me.
The only discriminatory things I heard on the tapes were what Schemmel had Gokū call his son, but even then, I doubt they'll do anything. He brought up Fire Emblem, but think of the company behind that franchise.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:09 pm

gokaiblue wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:05 pmThe only discriminatory things I heard on the tapes were what Schemmel had Gokū call his son, but even then, I doubt they'll do anything. He brought up Fire Emblem, but think of the company behind that franchise.
Well, keep in mind that I have very limited experience with translating and localizing. I still frequently need to use Google Translate, Jisho.org, and other external sources for all the Kanji and words I don't recognize.

I'm pretty sure I got it right, but still... take it with a pinch of salt till someone like Herms looks over it. For all I know, he could be saying the exact opposite.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:09 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:36 pm So, I'm very much a newb in the Japanese language... but I'm still trying to learn. As such, I've tried to translate the one and only comment so far. Anyone mind telling me how I do? If so, here goes...

終わったな

"They're screwed.

I'm sure Toei doesn't mind after that disgusting rapey Super Roshi episode.

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:09 pm

終わったな

"They're screwed.

how did you find this?

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:13 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:09 pm
gokaiblue wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:05 pmThe only discriminatory things I heard on the tapes were what Schemmel had Gokū call his son, but even then, I doubt they'll do anything. He brought up Fire Emblem, but think of the company behind that franchise.
Well, keep in mind that I have very limited experience with translating and localizing. I still frequently need to use Google Translate, Jisho.org, and other external sources for all the Kanji and words I don't recognize.

I'm pretty sure I got it right, but still... take it with a pinch of salt till someone like Herms looks over it. For all I know, he could be saying the exact opposite.
You're good. Nothing looks unnatural from an Emglish speaker's point of view (which is the only part I can judge seeing that I don't know any Japanese).
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:14 pm

gokaiblue wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:13 pm You're good. Nothing looks unnatural from an Emglish speaker's point of view (which is the only part I can judge seeing that I don't know any Japanese).
Well, the writing part has always been my strength. It's the "accuracy" part I'm more worried about. Fairly certain I got it right, but... still. Gotta put that disclaimer out there.
Godgoku95 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:09 pm how did you find this?
Cloud1414 linked the relevant article on Page 11, then I scrolled down and looked at the only comment.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:37 pm

Godgoku95 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:32 pm i think the dub is done and we may be never getting any more dbz content
Why? This isn't anything.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:56 pm

Kokonoe wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:09 pm

終わったな

"They're screwed.

I'm sure Toei doesn't mind after that disgusting rapey Super Roshi episode.
Are you TOEI? I didn't think so. Stop assuming what TOEI might or might not mind.
One World. 🌐 🕊

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:12 pm

Karrit wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:16 pmHe also mentioned in an interview that he's a Flat Earther
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:23 pm
, I was observing an experienced call center agent that put an irate customer on mute so she could vent by cussing the client out and even flipped the bird at the phone. I was on the manual team and we would have a field day when we got the weirdest voicemails.
This is literally my work day.
Hell, this is how most average people tend to deal with telemarketers on the daily.

Also, I have a sincere question: why the hell is anyone here in any remote way freaking out about the possibility of FUNimation losing out on the DB license in the first place?

Because first of all: they won't. Certainly not over THIS total and utter non-scandal at least. And secondly, even if they somehow DID lose the license, for ANY reason: does anyone in here seriously believe that if FUNi lost the license then that would somehow be the end of all Dragon Ball in North America? That no one else would step in to fill in that particularly glaring-ass vacuum and pick up ALL that money just lying there on the table with further releases down the line?

Does anyone here honestly believe on ANY level that if something ever did cause FUNi to lose the rights to Dragon Ball that suddenly every Dragon Ball product in America would go permanently out of print forever and we'll all be doomed going forward to forever needing to pay over-inflated prices for old releases and never again see new releases of anything DB ever again from there on out?

Like, REALLY folks? :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :crazy: :crazy:

Because real talk: if FUNimation ever lost the Dragon Ball license, the only thing that we as the audience/fanbase would really even potentially lose over on our end would be our ears no longer being regaled by the soaring talents of Sabat and co.'s compelling and dynamic voicework in future releases of DB media ahead.

And god knows THAT would be such a heinous, awful tragedy for the world to lose out on, because there is clearly no higher caliber of worthy performing to grace DB that's capable of transcending this masterclass of dramatic naturalism.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:23 pm

PhoenixEX wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:56 pm Are you TOEI? I didn't think so. Stop assuming what TOEI might or might not mind.
Speculation is part of the the topic, if you don't like it put me on your blocklist cause I'm not going to stop having opinions just because someone on the internet is telling me to stop having them.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:38 pm

Kokonoe wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:23 pm
PhoenixEX wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:56 pm Are you TOEI? I didn't think so. Stop assuming what TOEI might or might not mind.
Speculation is part of the the topic, if you don't like it put me on your blocklist cause I'm not going to stop having opinions just because someone on the internet is telling me to stop having them.
It's foolish to assume that TOEI doesn't mind that people they have little to no control over who handle their property are doing these kinds of things with their property. It literally makes no sense. No responsible head of a corporation would look over this and be like, "oh, yeah this is okay, no big deal. Carry on."
One World. 🌐 🕊

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:09 pm

Meh. The only thing Toei would do is just to give them a slap on the wrist at least, that's if they start to care.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:14 pm

PhoenixEX wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:38 pm
It's foolish to assume that TOEI doesn't mind that people they have little to no control over who handle their property are doing these kinds of things with their property. It literally makes no sense. No responsible head of a corporation would look over this and be like, "oh, yeah this is okay, no big deal. Carry on."
These were outtakes that were not made for profit, and were never intended to be known to the public. Why would they care about this?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:20 pm

PhoenixEX wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:38 pm
They would if it was an internal joke that was never meant to be public, which is exactly what this is. There are outtake reels and unused takes for practically every show or movie that has ever been recorded. It's not like Warner Brothers has disavowed Mel Blanc or Porky Pig because of this little gag that he did long ago that ended up leaking. Sure, they don't like to bring it up, and I'm sure FUNimation won't be actively promoting this outtake reel and might be a tad embarrassed by a slight degree of public backlash, but life will ultimately go on uninterrupted for all parties involved.

Now, if the voice actors had, say, synced the bloopers to video and solid it, that'd be a very different story, but that's not what we're dealing with. They didn't do anything malicious with the property itself.

The one and only area in which I could see somebody getting in any remote degree of trouble is if this outtake reel was handled carelessly (casually emailed around, stored in some place that wasn't password-protected, etc.)...depending on the nature of how this outtake reel was leaked, somebody might get a slap on the wrist for carelessly handling the file. Even then, it'd be just a slap on the wrist.

I'm actually curious how these were leaked to begin with. Do we know that yet?
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:30 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:20 pm I'm actually curious how these were leaked to begin with. Do we know that yet?
From what I recall, it was a former audio engineer that Nick had tracked down somehow. Don't have the evidence immediately available, as I'm not up to digging through random Twitter posts quite yet... But that's what I've heard.