Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:31 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:30 pm
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:20 pm I'm actually curious how these were leaked to begin with. Do we know that yet?
From what I recall, it was a former audio engineer that Nick had tracked down somehow. Don't have the evidence immediately available, as I'm not up to digging through random Twitter posts quite yet... But that's what I've heard.
Pfft. Why am I not surprised... :roll:
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:36 pm

PhoenixEX wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:38 pm
Kokonoe wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:23 pm
PhoenixEX wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:56 pm Are you TOEI? I didn't think so. Stop assuming what TOEI might or might not mind.
Speculation is part of the the topic, if you don't like it put me on your blocklist cause I'm not going to stop having opinions just because someone on the internet is telling me to stop having them.
It's foolish to assume that TOEI doesn't mind that people they have little to no control over who handle their property are doing these kinds of things with their property. It literally makes no sense. No responsible head of a corporation would look over this and be like, "oh, yeah this is okay, no big deal. Carry on."
It’s foolish to think this isn’t something that happens all the time. Crews working on television/film particularly kids stuff do this all the goddamn time. This has been so overblown it was be funny if it weren’t so frustrating that a bunch of 20-30 something year old adults are clutching their pearls like Gertrude at church when she heard Chelsea had a child out of wedlock.

Funimation had no intention of making this public. At worst Toei will give them a slap on the wrist for not being more careful. You are incredibly naive if you think Funimation is alone in being a company that has fun with their “family friendly property” on their downtime to amuse themselves while on lunch break.
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:39 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:36 pm
Speculation is part of the the topic, if you don't like it put me on your blocklist cause I'm not going to stop having opinions just because someone on the internet is telling me to stop having them.
It's foolish to assume that TOEI doesn't mind that people they have little to no control over who handle their property are doing these kinds of things with their property. It literally makes no sense. No responsible head of a corporation would look over this and be like, "oh, yeah this is okay, no big deal. Carry on."
It’s foolish to think this isn’t something that happens all the time. Crews working on television/film particularly kids stuff do this all the goddamn time...

...You are incredibly naive if you think Funimation is alone in being a company that has fun with their “family friendly property” on their downtime to amuse themselves while on lunch break.
In some instances, we already know of unreleased cases of this. One of the voice actors involved in the English dub of the 3D Yu-Gi-Oh! movie said that, just for fun, all of the actors and actresses involved had a "Who Can Come Up With the Dirtiest Blooper"-contest.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:02 am

Ah. Ok, so it's even funnier than that. These are all clips they've already been leaked!!

Jamie Marchi & Kateration discuss it here (with some folks going "aha! I THOUGHT I'd heard them before!):

https://twitter.com/marchimark/status/1 ... 44261?s=20

And then here's the part where it said Nick had tracked down an audio engineer with all the files (probably lying about what his true intention was)...

https://twitter.com/Katerationopia/stat ... 99427?s=20

So not only was this a desperate ploy. It was a ploy FUNi saw coming from a mile away, because they'd already been leaked!!
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:13 am

Fionordequester wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:02 am Ah. Ok, so it's even funnier than that. These are all clips they've already been leaked!!

Jamie Marchi & Kateration discuss it here (with some folks going "aha! I THOUGHT I'd heard them before!):

And then here's the part where it said Nick had tracked down an audio engineer with all the files (probably lying about what his true intention was)...

So not only was this a desperate ploy. It was a ploy FUNi saw coming from a mile away, because they'd already been leaked!!
Ah man...it's amazing how Rekieta manages to manipulate the opinions of so many people so easily (and profit while doing so via his monetized videos and live-streams). I really hope more people eventually wake up to the fact that Rekieta is essentially the Alex Jones of anime fandom.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:50 am

The fact that people are open to listening to the drivel from a racist lawyer goes to show how easily they can be tricked into believing somebody's crap.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:57 am

Things just took a YUGE turn!
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:12 am

Fionordequester wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:02 am Ah. Ok, so it's even funnier than that. These are all clips they've already been leaked!!

WAIT WHAT? i never heard anything about this

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:21 am

HANG ON, did anybody here already know about the audio?

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:23 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:13 am Ah man...it's amazing how Rekieta manages to manipulate the opinions of so many people so easily (and profit while doing so via his monetized videos and live-streams). I really hope more people eventually wake up to the fact that Rekieta is essentially the Alex Jones of anime fandom.
...hmm...

Alright, so here's the deal. I don't think Nick is the problem here; He's the symptom. A lot of folks are people that care more about how they "feel", rather than what's "true". They'll fall for just about anything that makes them feel good. Grifters don't create that weakness; They're just happy to milk it for all it's worth.

So what needs to happen is for them to not feel so threatened about the idea of "losing". Be clear on the fact that Vic can still be the person that made 'em warm and fuzzy... while still being a perverted creep. They'll have to know that being wrong isn't such a bad thing, and know they'll still be treated like brothers... With respect.

Otherwise, what's gonna happen is this: They're gonna go silent for a while, then get another "Nick". Another "Beard". Another "Huber". And we're going to be subjected to the same exact nonsense again... and again... and again... and again. Worst case scenario, they're eventually going to find someone smarter, more organized, more persuasive, and more effective than Nick & his circus clowns could ever hope to be.

Nick isn't the problem; He's the symptom. I think it's important to realize that.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:48 am

Fionordequester wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:30 pm
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:20 pm I'm actually curious how these were leaked to begin with. Do we know that yet?
From what I recall, it was a former audio engineer that Nick had tracked down somehow. Don't have the evidence immediately available, as I'm not up to digging through random Twitter posts quite yet... But that's what I've heard.
If Nicky Screech did so, wouldn't this be considered doxxing? A serious no-no for anyone, let along a lawyer.

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:56 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:13 am Ah man...it's amazing how Rekieta manages to manipulate the opinions of so many people so easily (and profit while doing so via his monetized videos and live-streams). I really hope more people eventually wake up to the fact that Rekieta is essentially the Alex Jones of anime fandom.
I know what you mean. Maybe it's because I was a media student, but I've never fallen for his bullcrap since the beginning. He's being a yellow journalist and knows how to feed his audience by sensationalizing even the most trivial of news. If keeps his ratings up and cash coming in, who cares? As far as I am concerned, he behaves more like an unprofessional jackass than a real lawyer. I was especially pissed at how he made fun of how fellow lawyer, Sean Lemoine, breaths and talks and encouraged the people in his super chat to do so. Lemoine nearly died from West Nile Virus several years ago and can't help how he speaks now.
Last edited by Karrit on Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:00 am

Karrit wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:56 amIf keeps his ratings up and cash coming in, who cares? As far as I am concerned, he behaves more line an unprofessional jackass than a real lawyer.
He's a talk-show radio host, basically. He can talk about his law experience all he likes, but... as far as what he does for a living, he really is just a talk-show radio host.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:20 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:07 pmI agree. If you want a reference for something that FUNimation did that legitimately pissed Toei the hell off, that would be something like the "One Piece Episode Leak Incident" of a few years back. In summary, around the time FUNimation started simul-casting subbed episodes of One Piece, it was discovered that their cyber-security measures bordered on non-existent, and people were able to watch a subbed episode of the show before it even aired in Japan. FUNimation employees later admitted that that incident brought forth Toei's unbound, full-blown wrath, to the point where they almost revoked FUNimation's license to the show.
I do understand why Toei got mad at Funimation in that case because it's a matter of information security, but I wonder why Toei persists in not letting foreign licensees distribute their shows earlier than Japanese TV even today, which seems quite pointless when you handle franchises with worldwide popularity. Maybe that'd be a breach of contract with the Japanese TV channels? They even ordered the French TV channel to slow down their broadcasting of DBZ Kai: TFC when it was about to outpace Buu Kai on Fuji TV, although TFC was originally produced specifically for the international market and Japanese Buu Kai and TFC are different shows both formally and virtually. I remember them proudly talking about how they successfully conducted the "simulcast" in Japan and France, which sounded absurd and totally pointless to me. I was like "Great, so that's the foremost result obtained from delaying the foreign distributions for years?" I'm always amazed at their narrowness of business vision.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:40 am

Well, if there's one good thing I got out of following this nontroversy, the Thundercats and Fairy Tail bloopers were pretty damn funny. :lol:
kei17 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:20 am
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:07 pmI agree. If you want a reference for something that FUNimation did that legitimately pissed Toei the hell off, that would be something like the "One Piece Episode Leak Incident" of a few years back. In summary, around the time FUNimation started simul-casting subbed episodes of One Piece, it was discovered that their cyber-security measures bordered on non-existent, and people were able to watch a subbed episode of the show before it even aired in Japan. FUNimation employees later admitted that that incident brought forth Toei's unbound, full-blown wrath, to the point where they almost revoked FUNimation's license to the show.
I do understand why Toei got mad at Funimation in that case because it's a matter of information security, but I wonder why Toei persists in not letting foreign licensees distribute their shows earlier than Japanese TV even today, which seems quite pointless when you handle franchises with worldwide popularity. Maybe that'd be a breach of contract with the Japanese TV channels? They even ordered the French TV channel to slow down their broadcasting of DBZ Kai: TFC when it was about to outpace Buu Kai on Fuji TV, although TFC was originally produced specifically for the international market and Japanese Buu Kai and TFC are different shows both formally and virtually. I remember them proudly talking about how they successfully conducted the "simulcast" in Japan and France, which sounded absurd and totally pointless to me. I was like "Great, so that's the foremost result obtained from delaying the foreign distributions for years?" I'm always amazed at their narrowness of business vision.
Would it be illogical to think that Toei view Japan as their primary audience and want the Japanese viewers to see the episodes first because that's "right"/"how it should be" rather than viewing it pragmatically? The incident with Funimation sounds like it could be because it enables piracy (depending on how people were able to watch the episode) but the French TV example doesn't make sense to me.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:58 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:36 pm
It’s foolish to think this isn’t something that happens all the time. Crews working on television/film particularly kids stuff do this all the goddamn time. This has been so overblown it was be funny if it weren’t so frustrating that a bunch of 20-30 something year old adults are clutching their pearls like Gertrude at church when she heard Chelsea had a child out of wedlock.

Funimation had no intention of making this public. At worst Toei will give them a slap on the wrist for not being more careful. You are incredibly naive if you think Funimation is alone in being a company that has fun with their “family friendly property” on their downtime to amuse themselves while on lunch break.
I know that this stuff happens all the time, when the hell did I say that it didn't? Stop putting words in people's mouths. You are no one to assume that TOEI will "at worst give them a slap on the wrist"; you don't know that. You are not TOEI. The things with these outtakes is that they stay private and, if anything, TOEI would be upset at the fact that they became public. If FUNimation was able to be hacked, or if someone within the company leaked these files, who knows what else they could leak. An unaired episode of one of their shows? Possibly. Someone already said that TOEI almost revoked FUNimation's license after an episode of One Piece was leaked earlier.
One World. 🌐 🕊

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:16 am

PhoenixEX wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:58 am You are not TOEI. The things with these outtakes is that they stay private and, if anything, TOEI would be upset at the fact that they became public.
You are also not TOEI. Why do you assume they are upset these became public?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:04 am

ABED wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:16 am
PhoenixEX wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:58 am You are not TOEI. The things with these outtakes is that they stay private and, if anything, TOEI would be upset at the fact that they became public.
Because it's common sense. If you've ever been in a position of authority you know that you're supposed to oversee what goes on day-to-day, and any surprises, like leaks of any kind, could be detrimental to the reputation of your company. Just the fact alone that something leaked should be worrisome and I'd be surprised if TOEI doesn't conduct internal investigations. Clearly some of you have never been in positions of authority so I guess I can't expect you to understand.
Last edited by PhoenixEX on Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
One World. 🌐 🕊

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:15 am

Honestly dont think it's a big too do and run of the mill VA crap. Schemmels sence of humor was that of a thirteen year old that learned a new word but thats expected

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:24 am

PhoenixEX wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:04 am
ABED wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:16 am
Because it's common sense. If you've ever been in a position of authority you know that you're supposed to oversee what goes on day-to-day, and any surprises, like leaks of any kind, could be detrimental to the reputation of your company. Just the fact alone that something leaked should be worrisome and I'd be surprised if TOEI doesn't conduct internal investigations. Clearly some of you have never been in positions of authority so I guess I can't expect you to understand.
you're finding weird ways to considerably overblow this. These are 20 year old tapes supposedly leaked by an audio engineer who may not even work there anymore.

There have been cases at my job where things that made the company look bad beyond our control has happened, one of them actually being my fault because of a misunderstanding, yet nobody's job security was in danger. The only priority was spinning the public perception
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler