Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Funimation Leaked Outtakes

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:51 am

TOEI's smartest response would be what they've already been doing since the Vic controversy began, which is to not do anything. If they acknowledge it, that puts pressure on them to do something about it, and gives it undeserved attention.

I'd say more than 90 per cent of the people who watched DBS Broly in theatres don't know anything about the scandal or the leaked audio. The best thing to do would be to ignore it and let the wheels keep turning. Dragon Ball the brand isn't in any danger because of this.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:11 am

PhoenixEX wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:04 am
ABED wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:16 am
PhoenixEX wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:58 am You are not TOEI. The things with these outtakes is that they stay private and, if anything, TOEI would be upset at the fact that they became public.
You are also not TOEI. Why do you assume they are upset these became public?
Because it's common sense. If you've ever been in a position of authority you know that you're supposed to oversee what goes on day-to-day, and any surprises, like leaks of any kind, could be detrimental to the reputation of your company. Just the fact alone that something leaked should be worrisome and I'd be surprised if TOEI doesn't conduct internal investigations. Clearly some of you have never been in positions of authority so I guess I can't expect you to understand.
This is an IT issue, and this will in no way impact FUNi's reputation in any big way.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:17 am

Kataphrut wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:51 am TOEI's smartest response would be what they've already been doing since the Vic controversy began, which is to not do anything. If they acknowledge it, that puts pressure on them to do something about it, and gives it undeserved attention.

I'd say more than 90 per cent of the people who watched DBS Broly in theatres don't know anything about the scandal or the leaked audio. The best thing to do would be to ignore it and let the wheels keep turning. Dragon Ball the brand isn't in any danger because of this.
This though. People have been way overblowing how big of a thing this actually is.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:22 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:17 am
Kataphrut wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:51 am TOEI's smartest response would be what they've already been doing since the Vic controversy began, which is to not do anything. If they acknowledge it, that puts pressure on them to do something about it, and gives it undeserved attention.

This though. People have been way overblowing how big of a thing this actually is.
I think there's often a lack of perspective on here. Vic is not a big star. He's not a star period. No one cares about this. This scandal won't rock anyone's world.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:31 am

I'm not talking about the scandals specifically. I know that the mainstream viewers, TOEI's target audience, probably couldn't care less about the Vic/Monica scandal or what was said in the leaked audio, I'm specifically talking about the nature of leaking something, or being hacked, in general. If this was able to leak then who knows what else is able to leak. That's what I'm saying TOEI would be upset about.
One World. 🌐 🕊

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:36 am

Even then, at worst, I'd imagine they would demand better internal controls.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:44 am

kei17 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:20 am
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:07 pmI agree. If you want a reference for something that FUNimation did that legitimately pissed Toei the hell off, that would be something like the "One Piece Episode Leak Incident" of a few years back. In summary, around the time FUNimation started simul-casting subbed episodes of One Piece, it was discovered that their cyber-security measures bordered on non-existent, and people were able to watch a subbed episode of the show before it even aired in Japan. FUNimation employees later admitted that that incident brought forth Toei's unbound, full-blown wrath, to the point where they almost revoked FUNimation's license to the show.
I do understand why Toei got mad at Funimation in that case because it's a matter of information security, but I wonder why Toei persists in not letting foreign licensees distribute their shows earlier than Japanese TV even today, which seems quite pointless when you handle franchises with worldwide popularity. Maybe that'd be a breach of contract with the Japanese TV channels? They even ordered the French TV channel to slow down their broadcasting of DBZ Kai: TFC when it was about to outpace Buu Kai on Fuji TV, although TFC was originally produced specifically for the international market and Japanese Buu Kai and TFC are different shows both formally and virtually. I remember them proudly talking about how they successfully conducted the "simulcast" in Japan and France, which sounded absurd and totally pointless to me. I was like "Great, so that's the foremost result obtained from delaying the foreign distributions for years?" I'm always amazed at their narrowness of business vision.
It's my understanding that Japanese business culture is very conservative. I once heard from a dubbing director that Japanese anime production companies resisted streaming their shows for the longest time because they were so rigidly of the belief that physical media had to be how people would pay to watch the show, and that streaming would be catastrophic to their business model. They apparently accepted the idea of streaming their shows with extreme reluctance, and were essentially dragged into the streaming age kicking and screaming. This dub director also said that they have since gladly accepted streaming because they realized...well, that's the future, and they were starting to make money again that they had lost from not as many people buying physical media anymore.
PhoenixEX wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:31 am I'm not talking about the scandals specifically. I know that the mainstream viewers, TOEI's target audience, probably couldn't care less about the Vic/Monica scandal or what was said in the leaked audio, I'm specifically talking about the nature of leaking something, or being hacked, in general. If this was able to leak then who knows what else is able to leak. That's what I'm saying TOEI would be upset about.
Well, they could conceivably be upset about that, and as I mentioned a few posts ago, it was exactly that kind of situation that nearly made them revoke FUNimation's license to One Piece a few years ago.

That said, I still don't think they'll get that upset over it. The reason I don't think they'll get that upset over it is because of the nature of what was leaked. The One Piece incident had to do with an actual episode leaking before it even aired in Japan, whereas these are just bloopers from many years ago (that have apparently already been leaked). Since the show itself was not leaked, I don't think Toei will be upset at all. Their main concern will always be the product itself, not by-products that were never intended to be released. I could see FUNimation being more upset about their cyber-security, but even then, I don't think this will amount to much more than a blip on the radar.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:49 pm

Too bad they couldn't have leaked the Z film scans before having their colors and lineart blown out for the shitty new BDs, amirite?

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:09 pm

If we aren't limiting ourselves to Funi stuff, somebody may or may not want to leak Ocean Kai as well...
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:39 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:09 pm If we aren't limiting ourselves to Funi stuff, somebody may or may not want to leak Ocean Kai as well...
I was thinking the same thing! Of all the things they could've leaked, why couldn't they have leaked that!? :lol:
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:26 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:09 pm If we aren't limiting ourselves to Funi stuff, somebody may or may not want to leak Ocean Kai as well...
I wish that would happen, but Ocean have such a steadfast approach to secrecy (is anything at all known about Ken Morrison other than his name and position?) I'd imagine whatever hard drive(s) the Kai dub is stored on was trusted to someone they know would never in a million years leak it. Having said that Comedy Gold is gone, so hopefully this Kai dub's debut is just around the corner.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:11 pm

Shaddy wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:49 pm Too bad they couldn't have leaked the Z film scans before having their colors and lineart blown out for the shitty new BDs, amirite?
Now THAT would have been a righteous leak! (and more likely to piss Toei off, if I'm honest).

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:32 am

I think that it's quite naive to assume that fraternity humour doesn't exist behind closed-doors, and that sometimes, people say and satirise certain things that are inherently inappropriate for a public airing, but in doing so are aware that their behaviour is not aimed at anyone, nor designed to cause offence or be consumed/scrutinised by a wider audience.

If these materials were being published via the communication platforms made available to the persons involved, then I think this would be a very different story - and that's where I feel a little bit uneasy with this. Regardless of the surrounding circumstances and people involved, this is a targeted smear campaign that is clearly designed to deflect and/or discredit. The underlying issue, which is probably the darkest stroke, is that there's a good chance these materials were created on company time, using company equipment.

I think the 'age' of the materials in question is also a valid point to raise - especially in the relation to contemporary 'outtake' culture. If you dial things back to the early 2000's, bands like Blink 182 were making gay, pedophilia and beastiality jokes both on stage and in their song lyrics. It was never meant to offend anyone at the time, but it's dated horribly. I don't think their career (which at this point, has become largely self-referencing) has been harmed for it at all.

Funimation will have to make a response, though. Disney have set a precedent, and there are surrounding allegations which require either a response or an investigation. The die has been cast, and they don't have a choice.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

ahill1
Regular

Post by ahill1 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:16 am

There seems to be some sorta hypocrisy here, as they fired Vic Mignogna without a solid proof, yet jokes that might seem offensive to some is considered ok...

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:04 am

ahill1 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:16 am There seems to be some sorta hypocrisy here, as they fired Vic Mignogna without a solid proof, yet jokes that might seem offensive to some is considered ok...
Adult Swim Sketches =/= Multiple 1st & 2nd Hand Accounts of Sexual Harassment & Assault

There's no comparison, here.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:06 am

ahill1 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:16 am There seems to be some sorta hypocrisy here, as they fired Vic Mignogna without a solid proof, yet jokes that might seem offensive to some is considered ok...
like this is obviously concern trolling but what would the hypocrisy even be here ? like normally when vic defenders bring up the "hypocrisy" stuff, it's when their saying vic got fired for the jellybean joke but these jokes are ok, or it's when their saying vic got fired "without proof" of sexually assaulting people but sabat is still there.
Blade wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:32 am I think the 'age' of the materials in question is also a valid point to raise - especially in the relation to contemporary 'outtake' culture. If you dial things back to the early 2000's, bands like Blink 182 were making gay, pedophilia and beastiality jokes both on stage and in their song lyrics. It was never meant to offend anyone at the time, but it's dated horribly. I don't think their career (which at this point, has become largely self-referencing) has been harmed for it at all.
honestly these outtakes are about the same amount of cringe as the skits on the mark, tom, and travis show so solid comparison lol.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ahill1
Regular

Post by ahill1 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:39 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:06 am
like this is obviously concern trolling but what would the hypocrisy even be here ? like normally when vic defenders bring up the "hypocrisy" stuff, it's when their saying vic got fired for the jellybean joke but these jokes are ok, or it's when their saying vic got fired "without proof" of sexually assaulting people but sabat is still there.
Blade wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:32 am I think the 'age' of the materials in question is also a valid point to raise - especially in the relation to contemporary 'outtake' culture. If you dial things back to the early 2000's, bands like Blink 182 were making gay, pedophilia and beastiality jokes both on stage and in their song lyrics. It was never meant to offend anyone at the time, but it's dated horribly. I don't think their career (which at this point, has become largely self-referencing) has been harmed for it at all.
honestly these outtakes are about the same amount of cringe as the skits on the mark, tom, and travis show so solid comparison lol.
That's exactly the double standard.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:01 am

It's what the double standard would be if it existed, or you could provably find exactly what separates the individuals such that Vic would be discriminated against. But y'all keep falling back on the "sjews are oppressing white evangelical men! cultural marxism!" conspiracy theories.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:41 am

ahill1 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:39 am
Soppa Saia People wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:06 am
That's exactly the double standard.
You should be wary of attempting to equate offensive and inappropriate private humour with widespread testimony of actual harm.

I find Huber's testimony interesting. Note that he actually endorses the notion that Vic's behaviour has been inappropriate and harmful - the only point of contention is whether he has been unlawful in doing so.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:00 am

ahill1 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:39 am That's exactly the double standard.
In this case it's not a double standard when the extremes are barely within sight of one another.