Should Funimation as a Company, wipe the slate clean.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

excelhedge
Beyond Newbie

Should Funimation as a Company, wipe the slate clean.

Post by excelhedge » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:03 pm

Should Funimation finish out it's contracts with troublesome VA's/Staff and replace them all entirely?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Should Funimation as a Company, wipe the slate clean.

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:11 pm

I don't know if there's anything more troublesome than any other cast of people, to be honest. The Vic situation is pretty unpredictable and can happen anywhere.

I'm the type of person who wouldn't want to rock that boat. Then it becomes "What do we do with this ongoing franchise?" Will they recast everyone and risk the backlash of the fandom, many of whom wouldn't be accepting of it? Do they redub everything and we buy yet another release that would probably have something wrong with it?

I don't know. I think overall, there's no reason to cut ties with this cast.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:19 pm

Other than Vic, who is troublesome?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:35 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:19 pm Other than Vic, who is troublesome?
It’s just a sad attempt at “both sides” and “what aboutisms”

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:26 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:35 pm It’s just a sad attempt at “both sides” and “what aboutisms”
Surely Vic's sins don't absolve everyone elses'. Would you be more outraged by their action if not contrasted with Vic's? I'm not blaming you, I genuinely think it's difficult to see both issues without the waters being muddied.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:07 pm

Honestly, no. I haven't seen any credible information regarding the actions of the rest of the cast, and several of them have been playing their respective characters for 20 years. If anything, it's too late for a complete recasting. You'd be hiring sound alikes at this point in the same way that sound alikes were hired back in 1999, only this time, they mist likely wouldn't have the freedom to make the role their own.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:09 am

No, and nor should they. It would be too much hassle for them, and it would just split the fandom even more over different English casts.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:46 am

Absolutely not.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:51 am

Thanos wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:26 pm
Surely Vic's sins don't absolve everyone elses'. Would you be more outraged by their action if not contrasted with Vic's? I'm not blaming you, I genuinely think it's difficult to see both issues without the waters being muddied.
obviously can't speak for everyone but the general sentiment on the forum seems to be that their unfunny as hell, but nothing to be outraged over, which i agree with. it's cringe from 20 years ago, there really shouldn't be any controversy (besides the f slur stuff), and there wouldn't be it these got leaked in a vaccum where there was no vic stuff going on.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:12 am

There is nothing particularly egregious about anyone other than Vic that's come up. Okay, so some harsh homophobic slurs from Schemmel in some old outtakes. That's bad, but these are outtakes that have leaked before and they're discussed and apologized for before, and unlike Vic those apologies seem to have stuck? The only other examples are that one "Schemmel touched my skirt at a convention" comment on the first ANN article and Huber's "casting couch" nonsense, because obviously a movement about women speaking against sex predators would make efforts to silence comments from women about a supposed sexual predator.

I mean, if there's any reason Funimation should wipe the slate clean it should be because many of them aren't very good voice actors. I like them all well enough as sounds that I feel nostalgia for, but looking at say, Mob Psycho's dub, or even other Funi dubs like Space Dandy, DB's just isn't all that hot? The only regular cast member those two share is Ian Sinclair, and he tends to stand out in Super as being better than most of the longtime cast (a regular occurrence for people added post-2010, you can see it with Ayres, Marsters and Douglas too)

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:27 am

Pretty much echoing Shaddy's sentiments above me.

Fucking around in old outtakes is literally NOTHING and there's ZERO equivalence between that and what Vic did. Anyone making the case that there's even an OUNCE of an equivalence between "curse-laden outtakes" and "inappropriately touching/groping on underage fans" is either A) being purposefully disingenuous out of petty spite or B) is a genuine world-class idiot. And if you fall into A, then you also fall into B by default.

The only part of the outtakes that even REMOTELY reaches the level of being something that's any kind of genuine issue whatsoever is Schemmel's f-slur barrage: and even THAT doesn't even come vaguely, slightly close to what Vic did in so much as the tiniest little bit. And that's SO on-its-face obvious that I shouldn't even have to point it out.

I DO think that FUNi should wipe the ENTIRE slate clean and recast the ENTIRE dub cast (and should've done so decades ago), but the reasoning should have NOTHING to do whatsoever with this leaked outtakes nonsense, and everything to do with all of them simply being godawful terrible actors who suck in these roles, the (grossly skewed by nostalgia) "popular fan consensus" be damned.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:47 am

People idealize this notion of rebooting the entire dub. The reality is, even if Funimation were to go to the effort of rigorously re-auditioning the entire cast from scratch they would never be able to assemble a cast that would satisfy enough people for it to be worth the investment. As a company they are not going to put their business on the line just because their cast were immature manchildren about 15 years ago.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:06 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:27 amI DO think that FUNi should wipe the ENTIRE slate clean and recast the ENTIRE dub cast (and should've done so decades ago), but the reasoning should have NOTHING to do whatsoever with this leaked outtakes nonsense, and everything to do with all of them simply being godawful terrible actors who suck in these roles, the (grossly skewed by nostalgia) "popular fan consensus" be damned.
How do you feel about the people who are only watching Super as the dub is coming out because they refuse to watch the sub?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:20 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:06 am
Kunzait_83 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:27 amI DO think that FUNi should wipe the ENTIRE slate clean and recast the ENTIRE dub cast (and should've done so decades ago), but the reasoning should have NOTHING to do whatsoever with this leaked outtakes nonsense, and everything to do with all of them simply being godawful terrible actors who suck in these roles, the (grossly skewed by nostalgia) "popular fan consensus" be damned.
How do you feel about the people who are only watching Super as the dub is coming out because they refuse to watch the sub?
Hey I do that, but it has nothing to do with "refusing" to watch the subbed version. I do it because I'm going to collect the Blu-rays anyway, so might as well watch it for the first time on the product that I spent money on. Also, I throw it on in the background while doing other things, so I can't be reading subtitles for it. Where does that fall on this question?

And some fans just like the dub. Why do others need opinions on it?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:24 am

ABED wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:19 pm Other than Vic, who is troublesome?
Chuck Huber is kind of a nut and a hypocrite. While he hasn't exactly done the same stuff that Vic has done, he's one of those people who thinks the Earth is flat and that Harry Potter books will cause children to be possessed by demons. He's also lied about being a mediator between the two sides, when it's pretty goddamn obvious that he's on Mignogna's side.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:40 am

Thanos wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:26 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:35 pm It’s just a sad attempt at “both sides” and “what aboutisms”

No, because nothing they did was that bad. You could maybe make the case of Schemmel saying the f word a dozen times but I would argue 1. He wasn’t aiming it directly at a specific gay person 2. It was 20 years ago.

If Vic’s scandal didn’t exist nobody would give a flying crap about that leaked audio. Schemmel saying the f word would be the only maybe controversy. It’s mocked outrage to creat what aboutisms plain and simple.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:59 am

A huge reason as to why people love the dub is because of the dub cast, more specifically really only because of Sean Schemmel and Christopher Sabat. I can definitely see TOEI and FUNimation being hesitant to replace them, but I'm sure everyone else is probably expandable. Hell, I'd argue that they'd probably even fight for Sean and Chris, even if they become involved in new scandals or if their current scandals get worse in any way (worse leaks, casting couch rumors being true). TOEI is a money-hungry company and to them, like most businesses, profits are the only thing they care about and Sean and Chris help make them a lot of money.
One World. 🌐 🕊

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:04 am

No, they are used to the cast. They aren't the reason people love DB.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.