DBGT: General Designs/Visuals & Music Opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

DBGT: General Designs/Visuals & Music Opinions

Post by Nokra » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:45 pm

Was curious to know what people thought about the look and sound of the show? I think that the designs could be really hit or miss, for example, super android 17 and baby look cool but the shadow dragons and most of the other characters not so much. The color palette was also not too pleasant to look at. Although DBGT was more consistent from episode to episode compared to the other series, because they were pretty lackluster anyway it didn't end up meaning much. It did have good environments and set pieces though, mainly in the beginning during their dragon ball hunt. The music was quite good though. Both versions :lol:

jollyr
Beyond Newbie

Re: DBGT: General Designs/Visuals & Music Opinions

Post by jollyr » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:57 am

Personally the designs are a little too 90's for me (17, Vegeta) but I love little Gokus design and for the most part the alien planets were pretty cool. But I agree most of the shadow dragons were lacking and bland.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:16 am

I haven't gotten too far but it looks alright to me, with the one glaring exception being the spaceship, probably the single worst design in all of Dragon Ball history.

I actually kinda like Vegeta's GT clothing because it feels like a more normal, civilian take on his Android Saga look (singlet = basic chest armour).

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:45 am

I kind of hate the character designs honestly. Nakatsuru was slapping highlights everywhere long before Yamamuro, but the borrowing of that trait was part of what lead to his devolution. Even beyond that though, you still get a lot of rigidity to them that wasn't there before. So many straight lines, hairstyles that used to be crazy and frizzy becoming short and pointy, Vegeta becoming way too fucking tall, and the fashion sense being just...off for most characters. Worse then that is the villains, who have suffered a huge loss in terms of facial variety, and have little going on in other parts of their anatomy. I've made this joke before, but which GT villain is this?

Is it Rild? Omega Shenron? Don Kia?

Yes, all of the above.

Also, again, this show thinks mustard yellow is an acceptable color to slather on fucking everything from Goku's pants to Rild's helmet to Mutchi's entire body. The color schemes suck.
Last edited by Shaddy on Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:51 am

80's or even 70's design with Luud, Doltacki, machine mutants etc

Shenrons look atrocious. Tbh, only Redjic, Base Rildo, Baby & Super 17 looked cool

Artistry & animation was generally ok, thx to Kazuya Hisada, Yamamuro, Shimanuki, Akira Inagami saving few episodes. Outta 64...only like 10 episodes were legit watchable

Bgm felt outdated man...like 70's & 80's. Op & Ed were nice though

Z was 90's show & its music was dope even by today's standard

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:06 am

KBABZ wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:16 am I haven't gotten too far but it looks alright to me, with the one glaring exception being the spaceship, probably the single worst design in all of Dragon Ball history.
Seriously? Woah. Are you sure it´s not an exaggeration? I mean, we are talking about the whole Dragon Ball history. As in, the whole franchise (Dragon Ball, Z, GT, Super and Heroes animes, plus other games). I actually quite like the design, but I respect your opinion. However, I really think you should take a look at some stuff that´s out there. Notice that I don´t judge designs based on who did them (some so called filler episodes had better designs than some of Toriyama´s, in my opinion). I don´t even know if the spaceship was designed by Toriyama or not, I only care about:

-If it "fits" into the universe´s aesthetics.

-It´s uniqueness.

-The things it conveys just by looking at it (personality, threat).

-Certain elements that I may find nice/visually pleasing, etc.

Back on topic, I think GT had awesome designs (in general) and awesome music. I didn´t care for some designs (like the para brothers, the old lady in Hell, Zoonama and more) but I loved others (like Baby Vegeta, Omega Shenron, all the ssj4´s, Vegeta gt, Mutchy, basically all of GT´s versions of the main characters, and more). I think GT dared to do more unique things and variants of Dragon Ball designs than Super; and some turned out to be spectacular (a few of them, not so much).

As for the music, the opening is one of the best in the whole franchise, for me. And no, I´m not exaggerating. :wink: The bgm was nice, too; I enjoyed it a lot.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:17 am

Vijay wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:51 am
Artistry & animation was generally ok, thx to Kazuya Hisada, Yamamuro, Shimanuki, Akira Inagami saving few episodes. Outta 64...only like 10 episodes were legit watchable
I've previously made a list of GT's best looking episodes and less than 10 episodes had bad art, don't know what you mean by only 10 episodes were watchable. It had the most consistent art out of all the series

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:54 am

anubisj wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:06 am I actually quite like the design, but I respect your opinion.
I personally don't really like the articulated spider design, particularly since that look has traditionally been associated with the Frieza Force (where it looked great on the saucers, for the record).

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:16 am

Shaddy wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:45 am

Is it Rild? Omega Shenron? Don Kia?

Yes, all of the above.
Oh..
I thought it was Bon Para or even Son Para lol

I generally liked GT's take on the Z-Warriors. I actually liked Vegeta's Gohan look, liked Goten's design, etc. I thought all of the different aliens looked cool too. I thought Baby was alright, but the rest were kinda blah. I think that the young, pre-teen girls were given terrible designs. The color pallet was kind of annoying to look at after a while.

I liked that it was taken out of the empty fields or mountains, and put into the cities. I enjoyed the city setting for a lot of those fights.

The music was some of the best work for Dragon Ball, until Funimation decides to change that into the worst music in the entire franchise's history -- and the rap wasn't even the worst part. Their choice to use a constantly flat, dull, unemotional track that never went up or down, made even the worst of the Falconer score sound epic by comparison.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:58 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:16 am I generally liked GT's take on the Z-Warriors. I actually liked Vegeta's Gohan look, liked Goten's design, etc.
I will say that it was NOT a good idea to make Gohan and Goten's hairstyles so similar!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:19 am

Vijay wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:51 amBgm felt outdated man...like 70's & 80's. Op & Ed were nice though

Z was 90's show & its music was dope even by today's standard
Except that even Z's (are you intentionally leaving out DB) score was a throwback. We've established that it sounds older, but why is that in the negative column? The music is one of GT's highlights.

Anyway, the pastel colors was an interesting touch, but the series manages to look older than DBZ.
I don't like most of the designs like Goku's gi or Trunks' clothes.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:32 am

I personally think some of main characters looked the best in GT, especially Goku and Vegeta. It's also great that characters actually aged. Even though Bulma and ChiChi didn't look hot anymore, #18 looked absolutely gorgeus in short hair and more mature appearance.
Most of antagonists also had very good designs with mid part of Black Star saga being the only downhill. I also didn't like Sigma Force and Rage Shenron. Other dragons were all cool or decent at least. I'm overall big fan of GT designs and drawings (Path to Power is still the best looking DB movie imo and it uses GT art style), but i'm not the biggest fan of GT's colors which despite being more detailed than in Z look a bit washed out and sometimes make GT look like older show than it really is. What is great tho are views, especially all the planets in BS/Baby sagas and entire Goku vs Super 17 fight had outstanding surroundings.

GT has the best music in all of DB tho, there is nothing bad i can say about it honestly. The way it uses the same music in many variants reminds me of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon which is my favourite movie and won an Oscar for best music back then. Matter of opinion, but i love it.
KBABZ wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:58 am
TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:16 am I generally liked GT's take on the Z-Warriors. I actually liked Vegeta's Gohan look, liked Goten's design, etc.
I will say that it was NOT a good idea to make Gohan and Goten's hairstyles so similar!
They didn't look that similar. I mean you could still easily tell who is who. It was a bit worse once they turned SSJ. I wouldn't mind if Goten kept his end of Z hairstyle, but it's still much better than kid Goten being just kid Goku ripoff. Kid Gohan had unique look, why couldn't Goten?
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:23 pm

The fashion might just be the most memorable thing about GT for me. It's as though they were trying to push some kind of trend or make a statement with those styles.

The music is great but to me it's not DB music, just strictly GT music.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:30 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:32 am Even though Bulma and ChiChi didn't look hot anymore
Oh yeah that reminded me, Chi-Chi and Videl have the same hairstyle too! That tightly-pulled-back-with-a-bun look!

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:53 pm

Goten looked hot as hell

Everyone else looked... eh.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:23 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:30 pm
sunsetshimmer wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:32 am Even though Bulma and ChiChi didn't look hot anymore
Oh yeah that reminded me, Chi-Chi and Videl have the same hairstyle too! That tightly-pulled-back-with-a-bun look!
They do not really look similar imo.

"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:43 am

I love how they dared to take risks by altering appearances of the famous characters instead of playing it safe and let everything stay the same. I like most of the new looks, except for Vegeta's mustache which got removed pretty fast. Some of the clothing seems a bit dated but it's a fresh change of pace to see characters in regular clothes instead of wearing Gi's and battle armours all the time.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:34 am

mute_proxy wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:17 am
Vijay wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:51 am
I've previously made a list of GT's best looking episodes and less than 10 episodes had bad art, don't know what you mean by only 10 episodes were watchable. It had the most consistent art out of all the series
What I meant by watchable referred to overall quality of said episode: gorgeous artstyle, fluid animation, epic bgm, great storyboarding, apt editing, etc which adds to the overall entertainment value which makes me binge watch DB & Z :P :P :P

In those terms, GT had more or less abt 10 episodes scoring on all of them. And most of those were either supervised or animated by TOEI's top dogs (names dat I mentioned).

Besides, what I think is great (episode/animation) may not be the same with what u think isnt it? Vice versa

That being said, I'd say despite GT having consistent art it lacks both heart & soul. I really dont see what's the use of having consistent art when ur show is infested with ugly characters, with even worse design, characterizations, voice acting and...sigh...I simply cant...Parapara bros, Doltacki, Luud, Myuu, Pink Duck Shenron, Toad Shenron, Mole Shenron, Nouva, Omega...all comes to mind...never have I watched a show overwhelmed with such horrifyingly ugly characters...besides AoT & Bleach ofc :lol: :lol: :lol: Wonder just what TOEI mfkers were thinkin.... :crazy: :crazy:

@ ABED

See, I really dont know what's ur point that ur tryin to prove here. Its not as if...ur making a point to be argued...instead, you're laying it out as if its a fact written on GT's tombstone :P :P :P

Music applies to OP, ED, insert songs, bgm nah? or only applicable to to OP's?

I'm suprised when you say that as most GT's OP's & ED's are handled by band's which were nice. But the bgm's throughout GT's 64 episode run-time is atrociously odd, old & frankly sounds appropriately dumb...fitting GT's tone during Black Star DB Arc & Shadow Dragons arc. The bgm sounds heroic when its supposed to be sad...other times, it sounds horrifying eerie for an otherwise heroic scene....simply WTF moment.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:46 am

GT BGM's are really good and I like some of the characters design too. Baby's forms, Gogeta. Pan's unusual outfit was cute too, rather than wearing the typical Goku's gi as many fanarts portray her.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:21 am

Vijay wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:34 am See, I really dont know what's ur point that ur tryin to prove here. Its not as if...ur making a point to be argued...instead, you're laying it out as if its a fact written on GT's tombstone

Music applies to OP, ED, insert songs, bgm nah? or only applicable to to OP's?

I'm suprised when you say that as most GT's OP's & ED's are handled by band's which were nice. But the bgm's throughout GT's 64 episode run-time is atrociously odd, old & frankly sounds appropriately dumb...fitting GT's tone during Black Star DB Arc & Shadow Dragons arc. The bgm sounds heroic when its supposed to be sad...other times, it sounds horrifying eerie for an otherwise heroic scene....simply WTF moment.
I have no clue what you are talking about.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.