Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by miguelnuva1 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:51 am

PhoenixEX wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:05 pm Even though I may have my own opinions on things, I'm definitely going to respect whatever the outcome is and move on from this entire episode. I can only hope that both sides will also do the same and we're able to put all of this behind us.
These kinda of things will never end. Michael Jackson, OJ and Bill Cosby still have defenders and attackers.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:29 am

It's true that it'll never go away entirely, but once the court case is over, and we have our new Broly voice established (and the same for some of Vic's other notable roles), then it will die down to at least a little quieter than it is now.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:45 am

2. More. Days! And I predict that the new voice actor might get trolled and attacked by certain groups of the youtube and twitter community.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:38 pm

Anime News Network has produced a new article summarizing the past weekend's nonsense, complete with comments from Chris Sabat himself and anonymous FUNi employees. Highlights below:
Sabat provided Anime News Network with the following statement regarding Huber's allegations.

"The recent allegations of sexual misconduct at Funimation and OkraTron 5000 are deeply disturbing and completely without merit. These libelous statements are based on groundless rumors and are meant to defame me and my company. Never in my career spanning two decades did I ever witness or participate in such conduct."

Anime News Network spoke with multiple former employees of Funimation regarding Huber's claims about the licensing company's allegedly sexually charged environment and the allegations against Sabat brought forth in Huber's affidavit. All the former employees denied any knowledge of a "casting couch" involving Sabat or anyone else working at Funimation.
Anime News Network contacted Nadolny via social media but did not receive a response by press time. A former long-time Funimation employee told Anime News Network that they believed Nadolny was let go due to unprofessional and disruptive conduct in the recording booth.

One former long-time employee, who asked not to be named, disagreed with Huber's characterization that Sabat was treated like a "de facto manager" at Funimation, given that he is not an employee but a contractor for the company. They noted that Sabat doesn't maintain an office there and was only at Funimation if he needed to record his own lines. They believe that Sabat may have had input in the talent for the Dragon Ball franchise, but casting would be a group decision overall. Furthermore, they never heard of or saw Sabat solicit any female talent in exchange for roles.

The staffer attributed the poor opinion of Mignogna among his coworkers as due to his own behavior, not an "inherit bias", and that Mignogna was "difficult to worth with, rude, would derail recording sessions, asked for excessive retakes", and could be "snappy" at directors who attempted to give him input. While Huber cited Mignogna's religion as a point of contention, the staffer noted that there are other employees and talent that are known to belong to the Christian faith and have not encountered the same problems as Mignogna, including longtime Funimation talent Caitlin Glass.
The former staffer added that questions regarding Mignogna's sexuality were also spurred by the Fullmetal Alchemist voice actor's behavior. They said they were personally aware of at least three male Funimation employees or voice actors that felt uncomfortable due to Mignogna's "touchiness" with them approximately 12 years ago. They said the "pedophile" rumors began because of Mignogna's conduct at conventions. If staff had made complaints about Mignogna's behavior, the staffer did not hear these complaints directly.

They also took issue with Huber's statement that he is "intimately familiar with the work environment at Funimation" and said that the conversations Huber mentioned would be unlikely to occur at the Funimation offices due to how voice acting is conducted within the building. Voice actors are typically called in to record solo and would have limited interaction with one another at Funimation. The staffer stated that Huber's knowledge of the company's work environment would be limited to the audio side of the company where he would mostly interact with ADR directors, ADR engineers, and producers. They said they believe Huber is conflating conversations between voice actors at conventions as interactions within Funimation.
Huber noted in his affidavit that the Funimation offices did not have sexual harassment policies posted and that he never received a handbook with information on Funimation's policies. According to three former staffers, full-time employees did receive employee handbooks and had to undergo mandatory sexual harassment training while at Funimation. These requirements may not have extended to Funimation's freelance contractors, including its voice talent. One former staffer cited this training as why they took issue with Huber's allegation that incidents described in Funimation's internal investigation happened off company property and thus may fall outside of its purview.

"If I meet with a co-worker at a bar off company time and that co-worker sexually harasses me, I still have the right to go to HR," they said. The former Funimation employee added that behavior at conventions would still be applicable, as a convention is considered a work-related event.

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:30 pm

Wow, Chuck just nuked his career

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:37 pm

ssj4 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:30 pm Wow, Chuck just nuked his career
Yep. Real shame too. He's a talented voice actor.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:38 pm

I forget if I expressed my doubts on that earlier, but the more I dwelled on it, you'd think throwing your contractor under the bus in a lawsuit would incite far more damning risks than randomly elaborating upon Sabat paranoia. (Granted, I did forget Sabat runs Okratron, but still.)

We'll see what happens -- I'm personally not invested in a Cancel Huber campaign, but I can't imagine relations between him and FUNi/Sabat/etc. being amicable from here on out.

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:48 pm

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:38 pm
I forget if I expressed my doubts on that earlier, but the more I dwelled on it, you'd think throwing your contractor under the bus in a lawsuit would incite far more damning risks than randomly elaborating upon Sabat paranoia. (Granted, I did forget Sabat runs Okratron, but still.)

We'll see what happens -- I'm personally not invested in a Cancel Huber campaign, but I can't imagine relations between him and FUNi/Sabat/etc. being amicable from here on out.
He literally accused his own company of harrassement, no way they'll hire him considering Sabat's response

Also, why would he do this for Vic? His response didn't help him either

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:50 pm

ssj4 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:48 pmAlso, why would he do this for Vic? His response didn't help him either
Search me, man. I've elaborated before on his attempt to have it both ways, but he clearly did not think this shit through.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:54 pm

Yeah, I have a sinking feeling that we're not gonna see Huber cast in many things anymore, unless he somehow manages to go way above and beyond to make amends, and that's going to be...hard...considering. In regards to Dragon Ball, that means a new Pilaf and Android 17, as well as Android 13 and Garlic Jr. in regards to video game appearances. Oh, and I guess Invisible Man from Dragon Ball too if he ever popped up again for any reason. For me the biggest fan heartbreak there comes in the form of Hiei from Yu Yu Hakusho though - for years now, I've been really, really hoping FUNimation would finally license rescue the second and longer feature film and give it a re-dub with their established cast, but now it looks like if that happens, it'll be sans Huber at least. It's a crying shame.
ssj4 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:48 pm Also, why would he do this for Vic? His response didn't help him either
I forget which page it was on or I'd try to find my exact words on it again, but from what my fiancee's told me from a behind-the-scenes feature for Vic's Star Trek Continues web series (where Huber played Bones), Vic apparently helped Huber out at a really bad time in his life where he was either all but or literally was considering suicide. So at least on that front, it's understandable why he'd be having such a hard time coming around on the idea of his friend being terrible in actuality. Not defending him, nor am I saying that it makes it right what he's done now, but I do have at least enough empathy for him that I can see where he's coming from, at least in regards to his feelings towards Vic.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:21 pm

If Chuck Huber ends up getting fired (which seems like a strong possibility, at the very least) then he really screwed up. He’s had a 20 year career doing anime dubs, and from what I understand, he’s still a pretty noteworthy part of FUNimation today. The fact that he apparently has a deeply personal and semi-understandable reason for siding with Vic Mignogna only makes it that much worse.

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:25 pm

So that was the reason why Huber decided to put his career on the line to help Dicknogna, huh? Damn, that sucks and I kinda understand a bit, but still, he REALLY should've kept damn his mouth shut!

Anyway, did anyone see Funimations current reponse to the TCPA? They brutally burned Vic.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:50 pm

To be fair Huber didn’t have much of a career. Most of his roles were minor to supporting except for Hiei. I wouldn’t even have called Android 17 a major role until he came back in Super and played such a big part so he got lucky there

It is a shame I really loved Huber as Hiei. I actually cancelled my pre-order of the Yu Yu Hakusho Blu-ray because of all of this. Yes I could still watch it in Japanese (and I deeply love that cast too) but while I had heard bad stuff about Vic for years and was mentally prepared for all that went down all this stuff with Huber was a bit of a disappointing shocker.

And I realize Huber’s role in all this still isn’t quite as bad as Vic’s but I still can’t listen to him right now without thinking about it so there goes the rest of the Super dub too (although that isn’t as much of a loss for me as I much prefer DB in Japanese)

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:16 pm

Like with Vic's Edward Elric I really kinda dig Huber's 17 and Hiei. Now that we have this many Funi or post-Funi people saying he's full of shit (and honestly, tracking his involvement in all this I can't say I'm surprised) I'm willing to say he's probably out of the company. And a recurring theme in all this is...to what end?

Like, really. That question keeps coming up. When the conVics make up their SJW conspiracy theories, I ask "to what end?", where would they expect that to lead, what would it do for them? When Vic sues his victims for speaking out, I ask "to what end?", did he think that would get him rehired or something? When Huber lies about Sabat while also helping destroy Vic's case, what did he think he was doing? He must've known that would land him in deep shit, and he must've had some clue that if they lost (and lest you forget, no matter what they say Vic's entire team is aware that they're losing) he'd be absolutely fucked. So what the hell is the point?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:26 pm

Sure is a shame Huber went full steam ahead on the stupidity because he's long since been one of my absolute favorite voice talents.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:36 pm

Along with 17 and Hiei, I also liked his work as Android 13 too. Man what a shame...
Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:38 pm Anime News Network snip
I'm now seeing the writer getting trolled by Vic stans on Twitter now, including a so-called "voice actor"/female vic stan who blocked her.

Y'know what, after September 6th, I'm taking a long hiatus from Twitter. Too many jobless keyboard warriors who pretending to care about something that don't affect their lives. And one thing these Vic stan idiots need to understand is that Dicknogna will still make more money than their broke asses would ever make!

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:10 pm

I don't think Huber should be fired just for speaking out, unless he himself did something too which doesn't seem to be the case. I'm good with Mignogna getting the boot but I'd be disappointed if they actually end up firing Huber over this.
One World. 🌐 🕊

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:20 pm

To be honest, I think Huber might be alright unless he himself decides to jump ship. His situation is understandable, even if he is being a complete idiot about it.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:49 pm

Well he isn’t going to be fired because he is a contractor not an employee of Funimation

But I can’t see him getting a lot of new roles after this. I guess he may continue voicing Hiei , Android 17 in video games and so forth

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:15 pm

Valerius Dover wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:20 pm To be honest, I think Huber might be alright unless he himself decides to jump ship. His situation is understandable, even if he is being a complete idiot about it.
How will he not be alright and how is it understandable?