DBGT: General Designs/Visuals & Music Opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Re: DBGT: General Designs/Visuals & Music Opinions

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:45 am

Vijay wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:34 am What I meant by watchable referred to overall quality of said episode: gorgeous artstyle, fluid animation, epic bgm, great storyboarding, apt editing, etc which adds to the overall entertainment value which makes me binge watch DB & Z :P :P :P
The artstyle was at peak, and the animation was on par with Z. You were talking about art and animation when you said watchable.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:00 am

mute_proxy wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:45 am
Vijay wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:34 am What I meant by watchable referred to overall quality of said episode: gorgeous artstyle, fluid animation, epic bgm, great storyboarding, apt editing, etc which adds to the overall entertainment value which makes me binge watch DB & Z :P :P :P
The artstyle was at peak, and the animation was on par with Z. You were talking about art and animation when you said watchable.
I said didnt I...what's d use of peak artsyle when its animation, fight, character design, characterization, voice acting, etc were bad.

Animation & artsyle going hand-in-hand makes for great watch. Name single fight from GT that rivals Dbz's Goku vs Cell, Kid Boo or Vegeta/Piccolo/Gohan fights.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:11 pm

Dragon Ball and Z, and even Super have a timeless feel to them. There's something old and something futuristic about all of the designs so it feels like it takes place at a unknown point in time. Similar to the Tim Burton Batman movies.

GT feels dated. All the "hip" redesigns make it very much a product of its time.

Who ever put the mustache on Vegeta was out of their mind. Thankfully it was quickly rectified.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:16 pm

omegacwa wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:11 pm Who ever put the mustache on Vegeta was out of their mind. Thankfully it was quickly rectified.
At the very least we got a funny bit out of it!

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:01 am

omegacwa wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:11 pm Who ever put the mustache on Vegeta was out of their mind. Thankfully it was quickly rectified.
It was our beloved Akira Toriyama-chan-sama desu desu himself

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:53 am

mute_proxy wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:01 am

Wait what?! Are u sayin Toriyama designed all of them for GT? Holy moly...all along thought Toriyama had no involvement in GT except SSJ4 & Giru's design

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:10 am

Vijay wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:53 am Wait what?! Are u sayin Toriyama designed all of them for GT? Holy moly...all along thought Toriyama had no involvement in GT except SSJ4 & Giru's design
Toriyama designed the main cast, the ship, Giru too I think, made some alien planet drawings used in the show, but not SS4

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:51 am

mute_proxy wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:10 am
Vijay wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:53 am Wait what?! Are u sayin Toriyama designed all of them for GT? Holy moly...all along thought Toriyama had no involvement in GT except SSJ4 & Giru's design
Toriyama designed the main cast, the ship, Giru too I think, made some alien planet drawings used in the show, but not SS4
:shock: I'm out of words to say...yeah saw alien planet drawings shown during ED's...

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:09 am

To be fair I do think there's a big difference between Toriyama designing a character he knows he's gonna be working on for the next several months/years, and him designing a character for a project he's only barely involved with (see: GT, DB video games, Dragon Quest)

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:48 am

Most of those designs are ok except for Vegeta for obvious reasons, Krillin looks twice his age and Bra in a weird hooker outfit.

I can't believe Toryiama thought that design looked good for Vegeta. He must have thought GT was going to be a parody or something.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:58 am

omegacwa wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:48 am I can't believe Toryiama thought that design looked good for Vegeta. He must have thought GT was going to be a parody or something.
Again I put it in the bucket of "well I don't have to work with this design myself so here goes!"

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:12 am

Vijay wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:53 am
mute_proxy wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:01 am

Wait what?! Are u sayin Toriyama designed all of them for GT? Holy moly...all along thought Toriyama had no involvement in GT except SSJ4 & Giru's design
SSJ4 was designed by Nakatsuru, not Toriyama. If Toriyama designed it it wouldn't be as cool as it is obviously.
omegacwa wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:48 am Most of those designs are ok except for Vegeta for obvious reasons, Krillin looks twice his age and Bra in a weird hooker outfit.

I can't believe Toryiama thought that design looked good for Vegeta. He must have thought GT was going to be a parody or something.
I'm not sure but if i recall correctly he made it as a joke to surprise and confuse TOEI animation. I might be wrong. But he certainly didn't think it looks good.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:19 am

omegacwa wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:48 amKrillin looks twice his age.
You don't think Kuririn is 53/54 years old? Seems fine to me. Probably because Toei made him still active and able to fight, if he were a decrepit old man who couldn't even move, then yeah...
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:22 am

omegacwa wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:48 am Most of those designs are ok except for Vegeta for obvious reasons, Krillin looks twice his age and Bra in a weird hooker outfit.
kuririn has always looked way too hard in all the EoZ, GT era stuff. i really don't get it, he looks so much older than bulma, chichi, and yamucha (more so talking about his appearance on the last title page), it's so weird.

also i guess i'm in the minority because i think mustache vegeta looks hilarious.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:55 am

Grimlock wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:19 am
You don't think Kuririn is 53/54 years old? Seems fine to me. Probably because Toei made him still active and able to fight, if he were a decrepit old man who couldn't even move, then yeah...
In that drawing Krillin looks 65-80 years old to me.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:29 pm

omegacwa wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:55 am
Grimlock wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:19 am
In that drawing Krillin looks 65-80 years old to me.
Now that you mentioned it, Krillin does look waay older. Maybe cuz he was human, coupled with the fact he settled for domestic life...looks as the same reason why Veggie grew a moustache as he's easily moodiest, angriest as well as most disciplined character throughout Z...😂😂😂

Oob's gi sure give-away as Goku's student lol😂😂😂 His build also gives off Teen Gohan vibe.

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:40 pm

Isn't bulla suppose to be like a child in gt? so why is she dressed like a thot?

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:07 pm

Nokra wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:40 pm Isn't bulla suppose to be like a child in gt? so why is she dressed like a thot?
Like Mother, like daughter I guess :P

Bulma during heyday DB days was kinda...thot. And Bulla is daughter of Prince of Saiyan & daughter of Capsule Corp's heir. Guess it runs in the family😂😂😂

Just wished Pan & Bulla had more interactions in GT. Would've been fun tbh

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:29 pm

Nokra wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:40 pm Isn't bulla suppose to be like a child in gt? so why is she dressed like a thot?
I think the writers just decided to make her a teenager instead. If the official timeline was in play, Bra would be around nine years old I believe.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:07 pm

Vijay wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:07 pm Just wished Pan & Bulla had more interactions in GT. Would've been fun tbh
I wish they had ANY interaction in GT. Seriously, i don't think they ever talked with each other. I always wished there was a slice of life kind of episode with Pan hanging out with Bra, maybe even Marron. They could go shopping or something. To not make it a totally pointless episode there could be a robbery which Pan would stop for example. There isn't much space for it sadly, it'd have to be between Baby and Super 17 arcs which is the only time in GT except for first two episodes when there is a peace on Earth and Goku and others are not in space. Super 17 arc goes into Shadow Dragons instantly and then we have end of series after that.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta