So how does one *correctly* hug their fans?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: So how does one *correctly* hug their fans?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:07 am

ONLY if they start and NEVER before they give consent or after take it away.

EDIT: And no just no hugging minors. That's terrible.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:13 am

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:15 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:21 pm "With consent." -- Kendamu
"With consent." -- Kendamu's Wife.

Currently bar hopping with them, if anyone's wondering. I agree with them. ❤
But I like doing things without consent! Poopy.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:24 am

Fionordequester wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:43 pm Who's Kendamu, now?
Long-time member of the forums. Super gay jiu jitsu girl who has been on the podcast.

I was alao hanging out with Ryan (Castor Troy). Pretty sure he agreed with us, too. Four votes for consent!

Seriously, how hard is it to ask someone before hand what their comfort zone is? Especially a stranger!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:35 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:24 am Seriously, how hard is it to ask someone before hand what their comfort zone is? Especially a stranger!
And in the case of a "known person", you can't assume that just because you've heard of each other you automatically have the right to a hug without asking first (this works both ways, VIC).

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:45 am

KBABZ wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:35 am
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:24 am Seriously, how hard is it to ask someone before hand what their comfort zone is? Especially a stranger!
And in the case of a "known person", you can't assume that just because you've heard of each other you automatically have the right to a hug without asking first (this works both ways, VIC).
It boggles my mind that there was no "hey, how do you want to position for this photo?" Like, fuck.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:00 am

One of the biggest idiot myths perpetuated by MRAs/alt-righters/etc. is the idea that physical interaction with other people, especially friendly strangers - namely women - is this bizarre and infinitely complex ritual that no man could ever hope to see all the way to the bottom of and for which all paths spiral over the legal event horizon toward a sexual harassment allegation.

It's not. It never fucking has been.

It is thunderingly obvious what kind of physical touch is warranted, and it is extremely easy to tell in an organic way when it is appropriate, where three pages of legal documentation is not required before proceeding. On occasion may you accidentally put your toe over the line (that is, not leaping across it whole-hog)? Possibly. Then you simply confer that you know what you did and apologize. It's not a god damn death warrant.

Return the sentiment given in proportion. It's. Not. Hard.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:03 am

I honestly don't even hug new people that I meet anymore. You'll never know who you'll offend these days so I like to stick with just a nice handshake (well, unless it's someone I've known for a long time).
One World. 🌐 🕊

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:41 am

As an older fellow I've always found the concept of a hug like this from, essentially, a complete stranger to be freaky at best. I guess it's a little different in a controlled environment like a convention, but I still cannot understand the appeal at all. I remember once, I was leaving a hockey playoff game where my team won in overtime and a young lady ran up and hugged me out of nowhere. My natural reaction? To cover my pocket to make sure she wasn't trying to steal my wallet. I guess I'm not the most trusting person around.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:07 am

While fans are something like strangers, a celebrity meeting fans isn't the same context as random people. Plenty of people hug celebrities at conventions. As I and others have pointed out, it's simply a matter of basic etiquette. While I like Keanu Reeves as much as the next person, I don't think celebs need to go that far to treat their fans with respect and stave off potential lawsuits.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:26 am

ABED wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:07 am While fans are something like strangers, a celebrity meeting fans isn't the same context as random people. Plenty of people hug celebrities at conventions. As I and others have pointed out, it's simply a matter of basic etiquette. While I like Keanu Reeves as much as the next person, I don't think celebs need to go that far to treat their fans with respect and stave off potential lawsuits.
I think it would be much easier if celebrities didn’t interact with fans at all. They don’t know these people. For all they know, they could be a bunch of weirdos, or vice versa.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:53 am

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:26 am I think it would be much easier if celebrities didn’t interact with fans at all. They don’t know these people. For all they know, they could be a bunch of weirdos, or vice versa.
I feel like that's very much not the answer either. For all of the bad that comes out of celebrities and fans meetings, there's also stories of really good things happening as well. I mean, if celebrities and fans absolutely, 100% never met, then what about things like the Make-a-Wish Foundation, which allowed a sick child to meet their idol Hellboy (Ron Perlman)? Or the smaller but no less important instances that Rob Paulsen has talked about a lot in his older podcasts, where people would come up to him and tell him how important Yakko or Raphael or Pinky were to them, because they were really sick/parents went through a divorce/etc. when they were young?

Hell, even just smaller moments like getting to talk to people that are in your favorite things via Twitter or the like nowadays can be a bit of a thrill sometimes.

Entertainment can be an incredibly important factor in a person's life, and it can feel good to get to tell the people responsible for bringing that to you what they've done for you. Likewise, it can be incredibly heartwarming for someone in an entertainer's position to hear such things. Can it go too far and give the person an ego sometimes? Or allow bad people into positions they really shouldn't be in because it too easily allows them to abuse their power? Of course, but that's life. It can happen with anyone in any position. The bad out there should never be allowed to outweigh the good.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:16 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:53 am
WittyUsername wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:26 am I think it would be much easier if celebrities didn’t interact with fans at all. They don’t know these people. For all they know, they could be a bunch of weirdos, or vice versa.
I feel like that's very much not the answer either. For all of the bad that comes out of celebrities and fans meetings, there's also stories of really good things happening as well. I mean, if celebrities and fans absolutely, 100% never met, then what about things like the Make-a-Wish Foundation, which allowed a sick child to meet their idol Hellboy (Ron Perlman)? Or the smaller but no less important instances that Rob Paulsen has talked about a lot in his older podcasts, where people would come up to him and tell him how important Yakko or Raphael or Pinky were to them, because they were really sick/parents went through a divorce/etc. when they were young?

Hell, even just smaller moments like getting to talk to people that are in your favorite things via Twitter or the like nowadays can be a bit of a thrill sometimes.

Entertainment can be an incredibly important factor in a person's life, and it can feel good to get to tell the people responsible for bringing that to you what they've done for you. Likewise, it can be incredibly heartwarming for someone in an entertainer's position to hear such things. Can it go too far and give the person an ego sometimes? Or allow bad people into positions they really shouldn't be in because it too easily allows them to abuse their power? Of course, but that's life. It can happen with anyone in any position. The bad out there should never be allowed to outweigh the good.
If characters an actor plays mean so much to certain people, that’s great, but the actors don’t need to know about that, do they? As for Twitter, I personally think it’s a genuinely terrible platform that does significantly more harm than good.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:43 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:16 pm As for Twitter, I personally think it’s a genuinely terrible platform that does significantly more harm than good.
I wholeheartedly agree. Twitter is awful and should be deleted.

As for the topic at hand all I can say is that I was at one point a low level "celebrity". I was in a moderately known local band and I was also a somewhat popular indie wrestler, so I took pictures with fans on occasion. Basically I did the Keanu but would usually put my hand on the person's shoulder or something. Never their lower back or side.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:43 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:26 am
ABED wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:07 am While fans are something like strangers, a celebrity meeting fans isn't the same context as random people. Plenty of people hug celebrities at conventions. As I and others have pointed out, it's simply a matter of basic etiquette. While I like Keanu Reeves as much as the next person, I don't think celebs need to go that far to treat their fans with respect and stave off potential lawsuits.
I think it would be much easier if celebrities didn’t interact with fans at all. They don’t know these people. For all they know, they could be a bunch of weirdos, or vice versa.
That's excessive. It goes beyond caution to plain paranoia.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:30 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:16 pm
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:53 am

If characters an actor plays mean so much to certain people, that’s great, but the actors don’t need to know about that, do they? As for Twitter, I personally think it’s a genuinely terrible platform that does significantly more harm than good.
A lot celebrities, especially ones that either work in low paying work like anime dubs or haven’t done anything in forever, make a lot of their money at cons so that’s never going to happen.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:46 pm

Going back to the OP's question, it's simple: With consent.

For example: When I recently met Brittany Karbowski, she asked if she could hug me after doing a line request.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:34 am

Aside from the VIC topics that I don't know in the slightest the subject (I'm French) I'm baffled and sad that in todays era we are to make thread to ask how does one "correctly" hug ? We went well down !

(It's obvious that you hug someone with consent) :problem:

But it was as expected I suppose ? PC + Social Media + SJW have made a lot of people scared to act normally. We are in a era that even asking someone for the time can label you as harrassing people (true story) :lolno:

Our society has become too much psychological in my opinion. :(
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:40 am

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:34 am But it was as expected I suppose ? PC + Social Media + SJW have made a lot of people scared to act normally. We are in a era that even asking someone for the time can label you as harrassing people (true story) :lolno:
I dunno, maybe it was all the assault that did it?

Are you for real? Are you seriously saying this in all seriousness as a serious person? If this isn't just failed performance art, it's extremely concerning.

See Cursed Lemon's response above:
Cursed Lemon wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:00 am One of the biggest idiot myths perpetuated by MRAs/alt-righters/etc. is the idea that physical interaction with other people, especially friendly strangers - namely women - is this bizarre and infinitely complex ritual that no man could ever hope to see all the way to the bottom of and for which all paths spiral over the legal event horizon toward a sexual harassment allegation.

It's not. It never fucking has been.

It is thunderingly obvious what kind of physical touch is warranted, and it is extremely easy to tell in an organic way when it is appropriate, where three pages of legal documentation is not required before proceeding. On occasion may you accidentally put your toe over the line (that is, not leaping across it whole-hog)? Possibly. Then you simply confer that you know what you did and apologize. It's not a god damn death warrant.

Return the sentiment given in proportion. It's. Not. Hard.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:57 am

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:34 amBut it was as expected I suppose ? PC + Social Media + SJW have made a lot of people scared to act normally.
PROTIP: If your definition of "acting normally" consists of suddenly and without warning hugging, kissing, groping, bodily rubbing up against, and soliciting the phone numbers of most every young girl you happen to meet or come into contact with (particularly underage girls), then guess what? You're NOT in fact actually acting anywhere within the faintest ZIPCODE of "normal". And if that somehow isn't INSTANTLY and immediately self-evident to someone, then they should seek immediate professional help, ASAP.

That SO many people (that are ostensibly grown-ass adults) even NEED to be told these fundamental barebones basics of social interaction, and that so many of these same people indeed act as if these are somehow byzantine, arcane rules and wildly shifting goalposts that are impossible to keep up with... its nothing short of staggering, depressing, and pathetic.

But I mean really: what does anyone seriously expect from a fan community that's as filled to the brim as this one is with so many socially inept and emotionally-stunted introverts whose near ENTIRE framework and conception of social interaction often tends to stem largely and overwhelmingly from vapid, godawful harem and ecchi anime that exist almost solely as bizarre and creepy jerkoff fantasies for developmentally crippled Otaku?
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:53 am

Hey now, let's not drag Otaku shit down here. Your average Otaku who beats it to doujinshi and hentai will be the first one to be polite to strangers. It's the socially isolated from community and social responsibility western fans that do the bitching and moaning about "duh essjaydubblews" making their lives oh-so hard. There aren't that many Otaku in the west, anyway. >_>
She/Her
bisexual milf