Dub Changes That Don't Bother You...that much

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dub Changes That Don't Bother You...that much

Post by KBABZ » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:58 am

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:07 pm
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:00 am In the latest Super episode, they changed the dialogue that sort of implied Roshi was going to rape Caway (or at least that she was afraid that he would). That was probably a good idea.
Yeah, that's not a change I mind either.
Falls in the same bucket of changing Oolong's dialogue to imply that he's gonna steal the Dragon Balls in the double decker camper.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:34 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:58 am
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:00 am In the latest Super episode, they changed the dialogue that sort of implied Roshi was going to rape Caway (or at least that she was afraid that he would). That was probably a good idea.
Falls in the same bucket of changing Oolong's dialogue to imply that he's gonna steal the Dragon Balls in the double decker camper.
In the case of the scene in OG Dragon Ball the animation and the fact that, ya know, he’s creeping up on a naked Bulma he just drugged, it’s pretty obvious what he’s trying to do.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:30 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:34 pm
KBABZ wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:58 am
In the case of the scene in OG Dragon Ball the animation and the fact that, ya know, he’s creeping up on a naked Bulma he just drugged, it’s pretty obvious what he’s trying to do.
Remember that the change was made in '95 when they were editing footage. The dialogue not properly fitting, as you describe, only became an issue when Funi barely changed the '95 dialogue for the 2001 redub.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:24 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:34 pm In the case of the scene in OG Dragon Ball the animation and the fact that, ya know, he’s creeping up on a naked Bulma he just drugged, it’s pretty obvious what he’s trying to do.
I think it's more the facial expression that betrays the intent of the reworked line more than Oolong's movements, and to be honest I never really noticed.

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:17 am

Bootenks getting under Gohan's skin using Piccolo and Goten's knowledge, instead of the usual Shônen battle taunts. It added a little spice to the fight without going TOO far off-script.

And that chilling "Freeeezaa..." during Freeza's Vietnam Flashback during Trunks' first transformation. It's corny, but in an 80's horror movie kinda way.

Also, Roshi trying to seduce that mermaid chick; "Well, I'm like a turtle, and you're part fish, so what do you say we go inside and learn more about our 'species?' Hehehe"

Apart from that, I'm a little conflicted on the Broli dub additions. I couldn't help but chuckle at "Perfect landing..." and "Have fun, Freeza!" but they're ultimately pointless additions, and while I give the above changes a pass because they're from a time when dub changes were par for the course, I expect more accuracy from FUNi these days.
Kunzait_83 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:46 pm From Hitler in Movie 12:

"Blonde hair, blue eyes, super strength? I shouldn't be fighting them, I should be recruiting them!"
I LOVED that line so much, I was laughing uncontrollably.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:42 am

TheOverlyMadHatter wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:17 amApart from that, I'm a little conflicted on the Broli dub additions. I couldn't help but chuckle at "Perfect landing..." and "Have fun, Freeza!" but they're ultimately pointless additions, and while I give the above changes a pass because they're from a time when dub changes were par for the course, I expect more accuracy from FUNi these days.
Eh, it's often the subtractions I'm concerned with rather than additions.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:00 am

The curse words being censored
Seeing a bloody Freeza scream darn you just makes me smile

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:42 am

matt0044 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:37 am Got a clip of that dialogue? I forgot that episode.
Episode 89, I think?
Bit late, but 89 is the Yurin episode. Caway is a Universe 4 competitor.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:30 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:12 am You're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying that Over 9000 was a case of "This was funny at one point long ago in a more innocent time, but just doesn't hold up these days." I'm saying that it was NEVER funny and was ALWAYS completely brain dead, even back then when it first became a thing, and people were always being ridiculously stupid for even making it into a thing in the first place.

Also 2006 wasn't exactly some ancient, far off, antiquated, bygone era of prehistory. We're talking 12 years ago: people born that year aren't even fully reaching puberty just yet. Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, HD televisions, Blu Rays, etc. were all very much around still. Hell, most of us were all still blabbering on about Dragon Ball on this very same forum back then.

And honestly, roughly 80 to 90% of damn nearly ALL internet memes are similarly idiotic inherently, and guaranteed most all of the big ones of today will likely seem just as stupid and unfunny ten years from now as those from circa 2006 might seem to some folks today: and that's because most of them are innately stupid and unfunny to begin with, particularly a lot of the most widespread ones.

Internet culture as a whole in general has basically been an ever-declining downward IQ slope since at least 1998, if not even earlier.
Actually, one species of internet meme from 2006-2009 genuinely were dumber than they are nowadays.

"Over 9,000" comes from that species, which is why it's so dumb, so outrageous. YouTube Poops were always supposed to be over-the-top and stupid. It was often a single phrase repeated multiple times with excessively obnoxious edits, hammering home a point just to annoy you. They were seen as utterly surreal even when they were new, compared to other memes. It was like Dadaist art in motion, stupid for the sake of being stupid. "Over 9,000" became a meme because of its delivery more than anything. It's a spiky-haired dude in blue spandex screaming about an arbitrary number, squeezing some sci-fi eyeglass until it blows up. It can be used for any exaggeration, too, whenever you want to scream about some large number of things. 9,000 as a number is arbitrarily large, to the point that you can actually find some mentions of "9,000 things" being used as an exaggeration before the Over 9,000 meme existed (like on Usenet).

Over 9,000 survived compared to so many other YTP memes because of that versatility. You see a bunch of squirrels in your yard? OVER 9,000 SQUIRRELS! Got a lot of chicken nuggets? OVER 9,000 NUGGETS! Simpsons won't die? OVER 9,000 SEASONS!!
Compared to "The Balls are Inert" or "Pingas" or "TOAST" or "This Video Contains," it's infinitely reusable.

And I've just written an essay about why Over 9,000 exists.

There are plenty of dub changes I enjoy. It's just preferences. I didn't grow up with the Japanese names, so I've mostly come to using a mixture. Whichever ones I prefer, I use. The ones that were phonetically changed, like Buruma to Bulma (which itself was a misspelling on Toriyama's part), Kuririn to Krillin (a rougher one since Klilin could've worked in that case but sounds wonky in English), and Torankusu to Trunks (always meant to be Trunks), I don't have a problem with. Tenshinhan to Tien Shinhan, though? Why? Yeah, "Tien" is indeed a Chinese name and also close to "Tian" (which means Heaven/day, which also translates in Japanese to Ten, and we get a circle). So calling him Tien actually makes more sense than you'd think. Except his name is still Japanese via "shinhan", not "jinfan." So why not at least Tienshin Han or Tenshin Han with "Ten" or "Tien" as a diminutive? It's not even that different from "Christopher" becoming "Chris" except Christopher actually has more letters and we're fine with saying it out fully.

The attack names did not need to be changed. Spirit Bomb is the only one that worked well to my ears but that's only because I related it to Yusuke Urameshi's Spirit Gun at the time. Special Beam Cannon, Destructo-Disk, Tri-Beam, KAY-oken, what was that even? Especially since they kept Masenko and actually made the Garlic Cannon/Gyarikku-hou even stranger via the Gallick Gun (which I admit that I prefer). Sort of like me, I guess, but reversed— whatever sounded cool to fans of 80s action cartoons, coupled with whatever sounded cool in Japanese.

The dub's insistence on never using Goku's full name (Son Goku) never actually bothered me, though it would've been nice to hear it at least once. I think we didn't even get it until Kai.
Back in the early 2000s when I learned that "Son" was his last name, I had no idea who Sun Wukong was and had no comprehension of East Asian naming conventions, so I thought he was called "Goku Son" and wondered if that was a joke. It actually doesn't sound that strange to my ears either way nowadays because I've heard of others with monosyllabic last names (e.g. Masayoshi Son)

The Ocean/Saban dub & 4Kids-Toonzai dub are both so awful and change so much that they have their own narm charm. FUNimation's 4Kids version was just beautiful and isn't more fondly hated because it came when Dragon Ball Z was already well-established in America and because 4Kids was already on their way out, so we didn't have to take it and because DBZ Kai was already divisive in the USA.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:51 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:25 pm
Piccolo appears just when they need him to teach Fusion because he knew it in the Buu saga.
Goku already knows it. That's fanservice.
I think the rationale is that they needed two people to show how the whole thing would look, hence why he taught it to Piccolo so he could teach it to the boys in the first place.
The Yabanverse

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:57 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:30 pmAnd I've just written an essay about why Over 9,000 exists.
I don't know what's more genuinely and sincerely adorable/endearing to me: that you just earnestly tried to mount an intellectual defense of effectiveness of the humor in the "Over 9000!!!" meme (complete with a reference to Dadaism), or that you thought that two paragraphs & change is anywhere within the vaguest realm of warranting the label of "an essay". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not at all being condescending here: I just found this legitimately funny in and of itself.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:34 pm

I'm going to be a minority in this, but I didn't mind Goku identifying himself as "Cachalote" in the Portuguese dub of Dragon Ball Super: Broly, even though Kakarotto was well assigned by his father in the same movie, because there's no instance when Vegeta called him by that - it was "Cachalote" all the time -, and we're supposed to believe in Goku not knowing any better. It was most likely an editor's change and not a slip by the actors. It emphasized the meaning of that scene, which was Goku assuming his Saiyan heritage very lightly, and passing it on to Broly when Vegeta did the same to him. The movie theatre audience was most likely reacting out of nerdiness. The so called "the more you know".

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:13 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:51 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:25 pm
Piccolo appears just when they need him to teach Fusion because he knew it in the Buu saga.
Goku already knows it. That's fanservice.
I think the rationale is that they needed two people to show how the whole thing would look, hence why he taught it to Piccolo so he could teach it to the boys in the first place.
If my memory serves, Vegeta has seen it before. He was watching the fights against Buu from the afterlife.

Wait, Over 9000 became a meme in the aughts? It was a popular "meme" before they were called memes.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:44 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:13 pm Wait, Over 9000 became a meme in the aughts? It was a popular "meme" before they were called memes.
Not only that, but the original video that made it a meme is still up.
The Yabanverse

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:53 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:44 pm
ABED wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:13 pm Wait, Over 9000 became a meme in the aughts? It was a popular "meme" before they were called memes.
In my best Tracy Jordan impression "No, no, no, hell no!" That does not constitute the origin. It's like some dick seeing The Avengers and taking credit for making "I understood that reference" a meme. This in no way constitutes making anything a meme. The line was already relatively popular well before then.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:57 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:53 pm
In my best Tracy Jordan impression "No, no, no, hell no!" That does not constitute the origin. It's like some dick seeing The Avengers and taking credit for making "I understood that reference" a meme. This in no way constitutes making anything a meme. The line was already relatively popular well before then.
It was an inside joke before this, but this is the video that actually kicked off the meme. Codified and popularized it.
The Yabanverse

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:59 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:57 pm
ABED wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:53 pm
It was an inside joke before this, but this is the video that actually kicked off the meme. Codified and popularized it.
Nope, just nope. Uploading a line on a loop does not constitute the origin. No, just no. do not fall into the trap of giving that any sort of credit. Seriously, how does uploading a single line on a loop get anyone credit for anything?

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:10 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:59 pmSeriously, how does uploading a single line on a loop get anyone credit for anything?
If you are someone that believes youtube is the source of popular fandom memes.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:45 pm

Bleh, it's all semantics. That video inarguably skyrocketed it from fandom in joke to widespread meme. I mean shit, look at the considerable leap in October 2006, which, SURPRISE, is when that video first got uploaded:

https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... %209000%22 (hell you can even see it pick back up again in March 2015 when Ronda Rousey wore the shirt at WrestleMania)

The craze over the phrase that eventually spilled over into the actual American content all started with that video.

Hell, I remember when the video got 1 million views on YouTube, which back then was unthinkable beyond official stuff.

I understand not wanting to give "credit" to some dude just spamming a line over and over again and uploading a video of it as launching it into a phenomenon but like...that's exactly what happened, dude. That's the internet for you.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:11 am

Not semantics, you don't give credit to the guy who makes his friends laugh with the Chris Rock routine.
I understand not wanting to give "credit" to some dude just spamming a line over and over again and uploading a video of it as launching it into a phenomenon but like...that's exactly what happened, dude. That's the internet for you.
No, no it didn't. And the craze starts with Brian Drummond's delivery, end of story. Why does that video get the credit?
(hell you can even see it pick back up again in March 2015 when Ronda Rousey wore the shirt at WrestleMania)
Celebrities wearing shirts is promotion, not the same thing. You are giving credit for uploading a video. That's what bugs me about this whole dumb thing. People keep talking about it as a meme. It's not actually a meme. It's just a memorable line delivery, no different from "It's not a tumah!"