Is there a general consensus on what the worst movie is?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Is there a general consensus on what the worst movie is?

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:48 am

Yuli Ban wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:28 pm a bad guy appears out of nowhere with a piss-poor set up and justification
What constitutes not out of nowhere?
Bojack Unbound is on that level as well, especially because there's no explanation of how Bojack got to Earth or collected his crew or why they wanted to go to Earth other than to beat up Goku's loved ones because they're dicks.
I would've preferred seeing him set free, but not seeing him collect his crew isn't a narrative shortcoming. That's just fluff.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:29 am

Dragonball evolution is easily the most horrifying film nah... At least that's what even general mainstream audience would say.

The rest of DBZ films are great in their own ways. Some lack plot (M10 Broly, DBS Broly some have poor animation (DBZ M1-7) some have too much fight, that too badly animated but have punchy climax (M7 & DBS Broly) But then again, opinions are subjective.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:25 am

I'm going to go with DBZ Movie 11: Super Warrior Defeat!! I'll Be The Winner (Bio Broly) and DBZ Movie 15: Fukkatsu no F (Resurrection F). They are bad, boring and without stakes (especially movie 15: time period in general story and constant presence of Whis and Beerus).
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:46 am

Vijay wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:29 am Dragonball evolution is easily the most horrifying film nah... At least that's what even general mainstream audience would say.

The rest of DBZ films are great in their own ways. Some lack plot (M10 Broly, DBS Broly some have poor animation (DBZ M1-7) some have too much fight, that too badly animated but have punchy climax (M7 & DBS Broly) But then again, opinions are subjective.
the first 5 Z movie's look really good though ? like they all have issues, but animation and art wise there's not really anything wrong with them. even 6, which gets pretty criticized for its animation (somewhat unfairly in my eyes) looks pretty solid.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:55 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:46 am
Vijay wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:29 am Dragonball evolution is easily the most horrifying film nah... At least that's what even general mainstream audience would say.

the first 5 Z movie's look really good though ? like they all have issues, but animation and art wise there's not really anything wrong with them. even 6, which gets pretty criticized for its animation (somewhat unfairly in my eyes) looks pretty solid.
Yeah. When compared to M8-M13, those films pale by comparison in terms of consistency

There were some really nice moments in those films though...like Goku vs Piccolo in Dr. Wheels film was pure martial arts remindin their 23rd TB rematch. Or even M5 Goku vs Cooler...or M6 Goku & Veggie vs Metal Cooler...dope stuff

But in terms of aesthetics, I think M8-13 outlasted those films before M8...more of pre-Yamamuro & post-Yamamuro lol 🤣 and I'm not even Yammy fan😂😂😂

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:14 am

Bio Broly is better than Broly 2nd Coming.

Fight me.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:05 pm

It's generally considered that DBZ Movie 4 and 11 are the worst of the Toei DBZ movies.

I find DBZ Movie 4 the most creatively offensive, DBZ Movie 6 the most visually offensive, and DBZ Movie 11 the most... boring.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:20 pm

I would like to consider the first Dragon Ball movie. There was no reason to watch Curse of the Blood Rubies over the manga arc that it took inspiration from due to how similar they were (akin to Sonic the Hedgehog on the Master System compared to the Genesis title). Things got different by the second and totally rearranged by the third. Dragon Ball Z Movie 4 filled the gap between the latter and Garlic Jr. in case he wasn't Piccolo Daimao inspired.
Last edited by Desassina on Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:20 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:05 pm It's generally considered that DBZ Movie 4 and 11 are the worst of the Toei DBZ movies.

I find DBZ Movie 4 the most creatively offensive, DBZ Movie 6 the most visually offensive, and DBZ Movie 11 the most... boring.
Meh. I’d say that Movie 7, Movie 10 and Resurrection ‘F’ (though, again, I seem to be in the minority on that last one) were also pretty creatively bankrupt. Then again, those movies didn’t rely on a marketing ploy that ultimately served no real purpose in the film, so I guess I can see where you’re coming from. I guess it doesn’t help that the film also recycled the King Piccolo plot, despite having come out in 1991, by which point, that arc had long stopped being relevant.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:51 pm

kei17 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:15 am As other people have already stated, Bio Broly is widely considered as the worst one. It had been the same to me for a long time, but I noticed that it's not THAT bad after rewatching it at the screening event last year. There are a lot of hilarious moments by Mr. Satan, and you can see Android 18 fighting, not kept away from battles for no reason like Resurrection F. It's also nice that no one is out of character and you can naturally enjoy it as an extension of the original manga. Yeah, the very idea of the main villain is so dumb and indefensible, and the story lacks catharsis, but the overall movie is still somewhat enjoyable.

In contrast to Bio Broly, the second Broly movie was far less entertaining: Silly jokes, two overly annoying brats, mentally infantilized Videl, a retard who keeps yelling Kakarot, the unnecessary metafictional Piccolo cliche joke and having no real plot. The animation is amazing, but it's a sheer waste of talent here.

However, to me, Resurrection F is now the absolute worst among all the movies. It's got too many technical defects, which makes it almost cease to function as a motion picture. It's not even a matter of being good or bad as a Dragon Ball movie.
And what do you think about DBS: Broly?
If I remember well, I haven't read your opinion about that movie.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:16 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:14 am Bio Broly is better than Broly 2nd Coming.

Fight me.
it seriously is, i would much rather have a really stupid but pretty fun movie over the most boring thing the franchise did in its original run.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:12 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:16 pm
Cursed Lemon wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:14 am Bio Broly is better than Broly 2nd Coming.

Fight me.
it seriously is, i would much rather have a really stupid but pretty fun movie over the most boring thing the franchise did in its original run.
Don't get me wrong, Bio Broly is still bad, but is it the worst DB movie? I don't see how one could make the argument.

Let's be clear, a lot of the DBZ movies are pure, unadulterated rehashed filler garbage. But M10:

1. Is a rehash of another movie
2. Has a premise that is riddled with plot holes
3. Introduces no new transformations or mechanics
4. Has less fighters who are less powerful fighting the bad guy, starring chronically unexciting underachiever adult Gohan
5. Has an ending that makes less than no sense and is literally a repeat of the death of Cell AND the ending of Bojack
6. Reduces the most deliciously violent DBZ villain of all time to piss jokes and cat & mouse capers
7. Introduced one of the most annoying arguments in DB history over whether Gohan was SSJ2 or not because the artists were too cheap to animate lightning (unless this was just retconned later, in which case fuck this movie anyway)

M10 sucks ass balls. The only good thing about it is that its animation was superior to M8, and even then they literally copy-pasted Broly's transformation pose.
Special Beam Cannon!

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:35 pm

kei17 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:15 amHowever, to me, Resurrection F is now the absolute worst among all the movies. It's got too many technical defects, which makes it almost cease to function as a motion picture. It's not even a matter of being good or bad as a Dragon Ball movie.
Resurrection F seems to be dodging a lot of bullets in this thread. As kei17 mentioned, it looks fucking ghastly. A terrible story combined with perhaps the worst visual era of the series, yawn-worthy framing/composition and a soundtrack far worse than any of the 80's/90's movies make this one the real loser for me. Even the main fight has absolutely no tension, there's nothing redeeming about it other than a few character designs (which were ruined by Yamamura's art process anyway).
I guess people let it off the hook because it's canon, or whatever? But as kei17 summed up, it fails as a big budget version of the show, there have been Super episodes which ended up far surpassing it, visually.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:47 pm

Yeah I'll admit, Movie 11's schlocky Sci-Fi Horror B-Movie moments give it a distinct vibe over Movie 10, and bonus points for using a vastly different collection of characters.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:47 pm

Now that I think about it, Movie 11 is the one DBZ movie that has gotten pretty much no recognition in any of the video games outside of Heroes and Dokkan Battle. I guess that alone should be a fairly solid indicator of just how little fans actually care for the movie. I suppose it doesn’t help that the movie not only has Goten and Trunks as the main characters, but also features a pretty lame clone of Broly as the main villain at a point when people were probably getting sick of Broly

Still, I’ll take it over Resurrection ‘F’.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:54 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:12 pm
Soppa Saia People wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:16 pm

Fight me.
Don't get me wrong, Bio Broly is still bad, but is it the worst DB movie? I don't see how one could make the argument.

Let's be clear, a lot of the DBZ movies are pure, unadulterated rehashed filler garbage. But M10:

1. Is a rehash of another movie
2. Has a premise that is riddled with plot holes
3. Introduces no new transformations or mechanics
4. Has less fighters who are less powerful fighting the bad guy, starring chronically unexciting underachiever adult Gohan
5. Has an ending that makes less than no sense and is literally a repeat of the death of Cell AND the ending of Bojack
6. Reduces the most deliciously violent DBZ villain of all time to piss jokes and cat & mouse capers
7. Introduced one of the most annoying arguments in DB history over whether Gohan was SSJ2 or not because the artists were too cheap to animate lightning (unless this was just retconned later, in which case fuck this movie anyway)

M10 sucks ass balls. The only good thing about it is that its animation was superior to M8, and even then they literally copy-pasted Broly's transformation pose.
And yet, I find it infinitely more entertaining than the sequel.

1. Which movie is it rehashing?
3. That's a feature, not a bug.
4. Also applies to the sequel.
7. Is that really one of the most annoying argumetns? I don't see it much, if I have at all.

11 is terrible alone on the basis of Broly being stopped by f'n SEA WATER!
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:13 am

Geez, I like both Z 10 and 11. It's definitely Z 7 and RoF that are the absolute bottom of the barrel as far as I'm concerned. 7 is formulaic trash, where practically nothing exists except to satisfy the beats in the established formula that were already stale by the time this came along. Kuririn doesn't even fight but has to come along so he can be embarrassed. Gohan only shows up just long enough to be saved by Piccolo. Piccolo saves Gohan and nothing else. Gotta throw in the Designated Leisure Activity of the Film, as boring and pointless to the story as it is. Chichi's at her absolute worst, her most vicious and abusive for no good reason.

And Resurrection F is just... well, a tensionless rehash, turning "the worst wish in history" into "a slightly inconvenient afternoon."

It's obvious that by 10 and 11, Koyama was sick of the formula and decided to go as far away from it as possible. And I couldn't be happier that he did. Those movies feel fresh, regardless of whether or not everything worked.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:19 am

It's obvious that by 10 and 11, Koyama was sick of the formula and decided to go as far away from it as possible.
I'll take formula over boredom, an overexposed villain, and seawater any day of the week. How does rehashing a villain for the third time feel fresh?

While not a complete tangent, I believe the topic is about the consensus of what the worst film is not necessarily our opinions about which we like. While RoF is awful, I don't think it's reputation is that low. To the best of my recollection, the reputations of DBZ movies 4 and 11 are at the bottom of the barrel.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:32 am

ABED wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:19 am
It's obvious that by 10 and 11, Koyama was sick of the formula and decided to go as far away from it as possible.
I'll take formula over boredom, an overexposed villain, and seawater any day of the week. How does rehashing a villain for the third time feel fresh?
Because the villains are always, always, ALWAYS the least interesting parts of almost all of these movies. And even discounting that, movie 11's Broli is something fresh. If you're treading water in the same formula for the 7th time in a row, how is that not boring? I'll take the fun interplay between Videl, Goten, and Trunks (something you almost never get to see anywhere else), over the exact same thing I've seen in almost every other movie, only done WORSE.
While not a complete tangent, I believe the topic is about the consensus of what the worst film is not necessarily our opinions about which we like. While RoF is awful, I don't think it's reputation is that low. To the best of my recollection, the reputations of DBZ movies 4 and 11 are at the bottom of the barrel.
I don't really need you to tell me what this topic is about. If this thread has proven anything, which is what it was asking, is that there isn't that much of a consensus. However, both 7 and RoF have come up in multiple posts before my own. But, yes, if there is anything approaching a consensus, 4 and 11 are historically the most infamous.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:14 am

I'm gonna go ahead and need a source on M10 being "fresh" and going off-formula.
Special Beam Cannon!