Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:40 pm

So I'm not exactly into the Heroes' storyline at large, I just watch the promotional anime because it's interesting. Does anyone know what that giant thing that Hearts summoned towards the end is? And what did Zamasu mean when he told Hearts that his wish had come true? What wish (I know he wants to "free" the mortals by dethroning Zeno)? Is it explained somewhere in the manga or videogame (again, I only watch the anime).

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:53 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:33 pm The one thing that absolutely sucked in this episode is that Kamioren died because Goku punched it. Like wtf? They are Neo Machine Mutants, they should easily regenerate from that. Why would their fusion even lost that ability? Not to mention previous form of Kamioren regenerated hole in its body iirc? What kind of logic is that? Infant Baby had no problem to regenerate after being blasted into pieces. It's another dumb thing they did about those characters after Oren being punched out from Vegeta body which also shouldn't be possible.
Hasn't it been established in the franchise that regeneration abilities can be overwhelmed if an attack has enough ki in it? Like Freeza killed Piccolo by blasting him through the chest, or Buu was having trouble regenerating against Vegeto's attacks.

If a punch has enough ki in it then it will just deliver such a shock to the target that they can't regenerate.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:45 pm

My hope for the ending of this arc is Hearts and Zamasu bringing a massive army to try and take out Goku, Vegeta, Trunks, Piccolo, and 17, and just when it looks like our heroes are completely fucked, the other Z Fighters, the Freeza Force, multiple fighters from the other universes and a bunch of different timelines, and even Fu, come to their aid, resulting in a huge grandiose bombastic Endgame style war. The biggest battle of Dragon Ball. And this is where we can bring in tons of top tier animators, like Tate, Shimanuki, Higashide, Onishi, Manabe, Karasawa, Ide, Otsuka, and of course, our boys, Takahashi and Shida. Yuya Mori can compose some of the best and epic musical pieces that we've ever heard from the franchise. Just have the arc, and possibly the series, end on a monumental scale. But of course, this is Super Dragon Ball Heroes, so they're probably not gonna do that and instead have the arc end with something super lame. But still, wouldn't my idea just be fucking epic?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:55 pm

Then again, it wasn''t Heroes that made two tournaments in a roll, gave victory to the same Universe twice and that made Trunks living with himself.

You sure super lame ending is a Heroes trend?
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:58 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:45 pm My hope for the ending of this arc is Hearts and Zamasu bringing a massive army to try and take out Goku, Vegeta, Trunks, Piccolo, and 17, and just when it looks like our heroes are completely fucked, the other Z Fighters, the Freeza Force, multiple fighters from the other universes and a bunch of different timelines, and even Fu, come to their aid, resulting in a huge grandiose bombastic Endgame style war. The biggest battle of Dragon Ball. And this is where we can bring in tons of top tier animators, like Tate, Shimanuki, Higashide, Onishi, Manabe, Karasawa, Ide, Otsuka, and of course, our boys, Takahashi and Shida. Yuya Mori can compose some of the best and epic musical pieces that we've ever heard from the franchise. Just have the arc, and possibly the series, end on a monumental scale. But of course, this is Super Dragon Ball Heroes, so they're probably not gonna do that and instead have the arc end with something super lame. But still, wouldn't my idea just be fucking epic?
Oh yeah, I'm sure it's completely reasonable to expect the Heroes Anime to do that.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:15 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:55 pm Then again, it wasn''t Heroes that made two tournaments in a roll, gave victory to the same Universe twice and that made Trunks living with himself.

"Two tournaments in a row". The tournaments weren't in a row just fyi.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:49 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:55 pm Then again, it wasn''t Heroes that made two tournaments in a roll, gave victory to the same Universe twice and that made Trunks living with himself.

Those are descriptions of lame on principle endings? "The heroes win their arc. How terrible."

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:07 am

Don't bother with that guy. As far as I can tell he literally cannot separate whether he likes the idea of a story from whether it's actually fun to watch.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:31 am

Nokra wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:15 pm"Two tournaments in a row".
Row*. I'm so sorry.
Nokra wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:15 pmThe tournaments weren't in a row just fyi.
Right, thanks Captain Literal/Obvious.
Kanassa wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:49 pmThose are descriptions of lame on principle endings? "The heroes win their arc. How terrible."
I mean, in a series that isn't shy to make the protagonist to lose quite often, I'm pretty sure making the whole Universe 7 losing is not that far-fetched. As for Future Trunks saga, it is not that the heroes won and so it's terrible, it's just that living with yourself is indeed the worst idea one could ever come up with.

Anyway, we can't predict how this saga will end (other than the heroes will win obviously). Can't tell if we could expect an Endgame-type of ending here in the anime because it's too short, but in the arcade and manga? Who knows.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:39 am

Grimlock wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:31 am I mean, in a series that isn't shy to make the protagonist to lose quite often, I'm pretty sure making the whole Universe 7 losing is not that far-fetched.
That still doesn't make "You think those endings sound lame, THIS SHOW HAD THE HEROES WIN TWO TOURNAMENTS!" make sense.
As for Future Trunks saga, it is not that the heroes won and so it's terrible, it's just that living with yourself is indeed the worst idea one could ever come up with.
That's the worst idea you can come up with? What do I pay to live in this fantastical world?

Kanassa wrote:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:01 am

Kanassa wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:39 amThat still doesn't make "You think those endings sound lame, THIS SHOW HAD THE HEROES WIN TWO TOURNAMENTS!" make sense.
Well, if you enjoy seeing the same thing happening over and over, good for you. Universe 7 had nothing to lose against Universe 6 (other than losing the match itself). It would be a great turn of events/unexpected if the Earths were switched. Not to mention the possibilites that it would come from that.
Kanassa wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:39 amThat's the worst idea you can come up with? What do I pay to live in this fantastical world?
You can pay anything else other than this idiotic thing. Literally anything else.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:59 am

Grimlock wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:01 am Well, if you enjoy seeing the same thing happening over and over, good for you. Universe 7 had nothing to lose against Universe 6 (other than losing the match itself). It would be a great turn of events/unexpected if the Earths were switched. Not to mention the possibilites that it would come from that.
Literally every episode of Heroes has just been mindless fighting, you have no place talking about "doing the same thing over and over" when Super at least let characters breathe and fuckin interact with each other and act like themselves in a given episode. Your entire argument only works if you ignore every single aspect of the execution. Heroes is completely uninspired and lazy, it doesn't matter if you call it "new" because it's bad. You don't get to be good just by not technically being the same as what came before you, you have to do something interesting with it. Super in any given episode could often screw up at crafting a compelling narrative, but Heroes doesn't even try.
Grimlock wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:01 amYou can pay anything else other than this idiotic thing. Literally anything else.
That's not even a real image, it's fanmade. How does that invalidate the entire arc? You can't prove that Trunks and Mai of the alternate timeline are necessarily the exact same as the ones we see. After all, look how different Gohan turned out between timelines. And with that uncertainty in mind, what specifically about it is worse than say, having two Gokus face off against each other for no reason other than it's good for marketing?

You can't answer of course, because like I said, your rhetoric ignores quality and focuses on surface appeal, because that's the only way you can convincingly pretend Heroes has anything over the other various DB series. You come to the conclusion of "Heroes must be better" first, and then scrounge for any possible reasons why that might be. It's like a conspiracy theory.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:41 am

Grimlock wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:01 am
Kanassa wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:39 amThat still doesn't make "You think those endings sound lame, THIS SHOW HAD THE HEROES WIN TWO TOURNAMENTS!" make sense.
Well, if you enjoy seeing the same thing happening over and over, good for you. Universe 7 had nothing to lose against Universe 6 (other than losing the match itself). It would be a great turn of events/unexpected if the Earths were switched. Not to mention the possibilites that it would come from that
From your bizarre logic of vague surface concepts somehow being inherently bad, you can never have something that isn't having the same thing happening over and over again. Do you know that ever plot in Dragon Ball involves fighting? Must be pretty repetitive. I mean, yeah, it's nonsense to judge such a nebulous aspect as 'The plot has fighting in it' as repetitive with no regard to the actual meat of said aspect, but... Nah, you keep trying to pretend that people are just 'enjoying seeing the same thing happening over and over', it's far easier.
You can pay anything else other than this idiotic thing. Literally anything else.
A picture with two Trunks. The horror? "It's a great turn of events/unexpected that Trunks might have to live with another version of himself. Not to mention the possibilities that it would come from that."

Kanassa wrote:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:45 am

Kanassa wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:41 amDo you know that ever plot in Dragon Ball involves fighting? Must be pretty repetitive. I mean, yeah, it's nonsense to judge such a nebulous aspect as 'The plot has fighting in it' as repetitive with no regard to the actual meat of said aspect, but... Nah, you keep trying to pretend that people are just 'enjoying seeing the same thing happening over and over', it's far easier.
What is the "plot"/"actual meat" of the tournaments?
Kanassa wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:41 amA picture with two Trunks. The horror? "It's a great turn of events/unexpected that Trunks might have to live with another version of himself. Not to mention the possibilities that it would come from that."
It is not. And it does not have any interesting possibilites from that (and it might never have if they decide not to use Trunks anymore).

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:05 am

Grimlock wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:45 am
Kanassa wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:41 amDo you know that ever plot in Dragon Ball involves fighting? Must be pretty repetitive. I mean, yeah, it's nonsense to judge such a nebulous aspect as 'The plot has fighting in it' as repetitive with no regard to the actual meat of said aspect, but... Nah, you keep trying to pretend that people are just 'enjoying seeing the same thing happening over and over', it's far easier.
What is the "plot"/"actual meat" of the tournaments?
The character dynamics, the interactions, the clashing styles of oddities, the actual interesting battles, ect. The actual execution of the arcs instead of vauge story mechanics that don't have a judgable quality to them. But yeah, it's repetition compared to Heroes is astonishing (I wonder if we're gonna have another plot that's basically about the villain gathering energy from powering up their minions and/or past villains to charge their grand plan). You know, I bet the next super arc is going to have a villain AND that villain will probably fight Goku in some fashion. Absolutely lazy. Even worse if the dragon balls in anyway factor in.
Kanassa wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:41 amA picture with two Trunks. The horror? "It's a great turn of events/unexpected that Trunks might have to live with another version of himself. Not to mention the possibilities that it would come from that."
It is not. And it does not have any interesting possibilites from that (and it might never have if they decide not to use Trunks anymore).
I mean, it has the same amount of possibilities as 'Earth moves to being a backwater nothing planet in virtually the same universe but with a different number' idea, though it actually has more interesting implications because of possible character interactions. Then again, I'd say that if you can't see any interesting possibilities in a character being stuck with another version of themselves after the annihilation of their own timeline, you have no room to talk.

Kanassa wrote:

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:52 pm

Hear me out...what if Trunks just STAYED in the present with Future Mai. I think that's a million more times interesting than just them going off to another future. 2 Zeno's aren't interesting just as having 2 Trunks' that are the same aren't interesting. Not unless that Trunks went through a radically different story. Just imagine if Trunks stayed in the present. That has way more to offer.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:51 pm

dbzfan7 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:52 pm Hear me out...what if Trunks just STAYED in the present with Future Mai. I think that's a million more times interesting than just them going off to another future. 2 Zeno's aren't interesting just as having 2 Trunks' that are the same aren't interesting. Not unless that Trunks went through a radically different story. Just imagine if Trunks stayed in the present. That has way more to offer.
The hell does this have to do with Heroes?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:02 pm

Grimlock wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:45 amIt is not. And it does not have any interesting possibilites from that (and it might never have if they decide not to use Trunks anymore).
How about the clash of personalities in a reality where one Trunks could have grown to be different from another? Or the dissociation of living with versions of everyone you know, but knowing they aren't the ones you knew for most of your life? Or an existential crisis at the idea that you are no longer the "real" version of yourself? The idea that one of you will die before the other, and that that could have some grand effect on which one if you is "relevant" to reality itself? Or maybe simple disagreements over who gets to do what, be where, have what, when your possessions effectively belong to both of you? Or even something as basic as confusing one version of Trunks or Mai with the other.

Turns out it's pretty easy to think of interesting possibilities for having two versions of the same people in one timeline. Hell, those are all just Homestuck plotpoints that I remembered off the top of my head. If not that, then think about fusion, sharing attacks between timelines, the potential instability that two copies of the same people existing in one timeline too long could introduce, what the gods would think knowing Whis messed around with time like that, what the Zamasu in that timeline might do (assuming one even exists), or what could happen if further alterations to the timeline occured.

The ironic thing in all this is that the ending to the FT arc is absolutely horribly handled, but like with before all you can attack without contradicting yourself is the premise, rather than the execution. It's completely transparent, and looks silly.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:18 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:51 pm
dbzfan7 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:52 pm Hear me out...what if Trunks just STAYED in the present with Future Mai. I think that's a million more times interesting than just them going off to another future. 2 Zeno's aren't interesting just as having 2 Trunks' that are the same aren't interesting. Not unless that Trunks went through a radically different story. Just imagine if Trunks stayed in the present. That has way more to offer.
The hell does this have to do with Heroes?
I'm adding to Grimlocks Two Trunks thing being bad. As I agree the Future Trunks Arc had a shitty end. But that's about where my agreement ends. I should have tagged him.

Honestly both Super and Heroes are pretty shitty, it's just Heroes is more often shitty by comparison. Doesn't help one's a full 22 minute or so show and the other is about 8 minutes at max. As well as when Super's shit we're stuck with what it offers. When Heroes is mostly bad, we can ignore it as it's just its own continuity of dumb.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:04 pm

Kanassa wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:05 amI mean, it has the same amount of possibilities as 'Earth moves to being a backwater nothing planet in virtually the same universe but with a different number' idea, though it actually has more interesting implications because of possible character interactions. Then again, I'd say that if you can't see any interesting possibilities in a character being stuck with another version of themselves after the annihilation of their own timeline, you have no room to talk.
It doesn't. We're not talking about present Trunks and Future Trunks, we're talking about Future Trunks and Future Trunks. While Universe 7 switched to Universe 6 would allow interactions between other versions of some old races, Future Trunks and Future Trunks are literally the same person, even a fusion between them would be bad. It is a boring "dynamic" with none interesting possibilites coming from the same person.

I have all the room to talk, as I'm entitled to have an opinion and express it. You, however, is a nobody; Thus you have no room to say others have no room to talk.
dbzfan7 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:52 pmHear me out...what if Trunks just STAYED in the present with Future Mai. I think that's a million more times interesting than just them going off to another future. 2 Zeno's aren't interesting just as having 2 Trunks' that are the same aren't interesting. Not unless that Trunks went through a radically different story. Just imagine if Trunks stayed in the present. That has way more to offer.
Yes, Trunks staying in the present would be a gazillion times better (again, any other ending would be better than leaving to live with yourself). So nice to see that there are others who can see how bad the actual ending of Future Trunks saga is.
Shaddy wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:02 pmHow about the clash of personalities in a reality where one Trunks could have grown to be different from another? Or the dissociation of living with versions of everyone you know, but knowing they aren't the ones you knew for most of your life? Or an existential crisis at the idea that you are no longer the "real" version of yourself? The idea that one of you will die before the other, and that that could have some grand effect on which one if you is "relevant" to reality itself? Or maybe simple disagreements over who gets to do what, be where, have what, when your possessions effectively belong to both of you? Or even something as basic as confusing one version of Trunks or Mai with the other.
The personalities are basically the same. While one of them didn't experiece Goku Black and Zamasu, they are both that tragic character. Trunks went to live in a timeline created by Beerus once he defeated Zamasu, that timeline is identical to the present one and will only start looking a bit different once Future Trunks saga doesn't occur to them (assuming Trunks arrived in that timeline just a bit before the actual beginning of the saga).

As for all the other things mentioned, they're all irrelevant to me. Characters and counterparts from different Universes and dimensions interacting with each other has way more to offer than two of the same person, separated only by timeline, interacting.
Shaddy wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:02 pmTurns out it's pretty easy to think of interesting possibilities for having two versions of the same people in one timeline. Hell, those are all just Homestuck plotpoints that I remembered off the top of my head. If not that, then think about fusion, sharing attacks between timelines, the potential instability that two copies of the same people existing in one timeline too long could introduce, what the gods would think knowing Whis messed around with time like that, what the Zamasu in that timeline might do (assuming one even exists), or what could happen if further alterations to the timeline occured.
Like I said, a fusion of two Trunks would be terrible. Unless they go Dragon Ball Fusions and make some differences to the fused character resulted from ones that look the same, the fused character will still be a Trunks.

"the potential instability that two copies of the same people existing in one timeline too long could introduce, what the gods would think knowing Whis messed around with time like that"

This might get me interested, but for that to happen, Trunks has to return, which I don't think will happen (at least not so soon). And if we saw the last of Trunks now, then none of this will matter anyway.

~ War of the Dinobots ~