"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lionel » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:55 pm

Noitsnothim wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:43 pm why do I feel like this new chapter will be filled with more exposition and lore building than fighting ?

if so I'm all for it
Same here. I can't help but feel like Toyotaro's drawings are choreographically challenged at times. You know, like the constant recycling of fist and kick flurries during a close quarters exchange that's often used to give the visual of high intensity combat. Toriyama did at as well but it seems like Toyotaro uses the tactic even more. Didn't he admit to having difficulty drawing combat scenes?

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:54 pm

Lionel wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:55 pm
Noitsnothim wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:43 pm why do I feel like this new chapter will be filled with more exposition and lore building than fighting ?

if so I'm all for it
Same here. I can't help but feel like Toyotaro's drawings are choreographically challenged at times. You know, like the constant recycling of fist and kick flurries during a close quarters exchange that's often used to give the visual of high intensity combat. Toriyama did at as well but it seems like Toyotaro uses the tactic even more. Didn't he admit to having difficulty drawing combat scenes?
I believe he did at some point that's why I feel like even though the Super volumes sell well they don't sell greatly because of the choreography let's admit that here & now

this is why I hope Toriyama takes over Super Someday like writes and draws it himself

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:18 pm

Noitsnothim wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:54 pmthis is why I hope Toriyama takes over Super Someday like writes and draws it himself
He kinda already does. He writes the outline and general story and all that, and then Toyo and Toei basically adapt that. He then supervises and gives the ok to both so in the end he approves the content given, and could change it if he really wanted to. So anything good or bad still goes by him and is given the go ahead. More so the manga from what I remember since he sees the pages and stuff. The anime too but I don't remember how much of it he sees before the go ahead or if he even does.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:23 am

dbzfan7 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:18 pm
Noitsnothim wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:54 pmthis is why I hope Toriyama takes over Super Someday like writes and draws it himself
He kinda already does. He writes the outline and general story and all that, and then Toyo and Toei basically adapt that. He then supervises and gives the ok to both so in the end he approves the content given, and could change it if he really wanted to. So anything good or bad still goes by him and is given the go ahead. More so the manga from what I remember since he sees the pages and stuff. The anime too but I don't remember how much of it he sees before the go ahead or if he even does.
In addition to writing the outline (apparently a relatively detailed one going by the number of similarities between the anime and manga's plots, excluding the latter's obvious filler arcs) and creating the character designs, we have many examples of him directly drawing/writing pages or changing the occasional bit. While it's nowhere NEAR as much Toriyama's product as the original manga was,* his involvement in the manga is significant enough that I'd at least call him the co-writer, if not the main writer. That was for the first few arcs though; no confirmation on if that's still the arrangement with the Moro arc. A lot of the plot points seem very un-Toriyama this time around and right up Toyotaro's alley.

He doesn't do the same with the anime. He admits he doesn't read the scripts before the episodes are made.

*Then again, nothing ever will be again bar Jaco. With the manga he was writing and drawing everything himself and had near complete control. Even the movies, with scripts written by Toriyama directly, leave a whole lot up to Toei due to a combination of his scripts' vagueness in certain areas (something he admits himself) and the mundane realities of making a big movie as opposed to a comic book (i.e. even if every single word and action in the film is crafted by Toriyama, the music, art, acting, etc. are still going to be other peoples' work complete with their own creative touches; this is the case even with a filmmaker like Clint Eastwood who writes, directs, acts, and scores his movies).
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:51 am

RandomGuy96 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:23 am That was for the first few arcs though; no confirmation on if that's still the arrangement with the Moro arc. A lot of the plot points seem very un-Toriyama this time around and right up Toyotaro's alley.
Toyotaro said he was making Moro arc with Toriyama, so I suppose the latter is still overseeing and changing some things. But Toriyama also said that he wanted Toyotaro to use more of his own ideas, so maybe he's giving Toyotaro more freedom.
RandomGuy96 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:23 am He doesn't do the same with the anime. He admits he doesn't read the scripts before the episodes are made.
Interesting, I had not seen this statement. Do you have the link to this interview?

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:42 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:51 am
RandomGuy96 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:23 am That was for the first few arcs though; no confirmation on if that's still the arrangement with the Moro arc. A lot of the plot points seem very un-Toriyama this time around and right up Toyotaro's alley.
Toyotaro said he was making Moro arc with Toriyama, so I suppose the latter is still overseeing and changing some things. But Toriyama also said that he wanted Toyotaro to use more of his own ideas, so maybe he's giving Toyotaro more freedom.
RandomGuy96 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:23 am He doesn't do the same with the anime. He admits he doesn't read the scripts before the episodes are made.
Interesting, I had not seen this statement. Do you have the link to this interview?
From the announcement of the Future Trunks arc.
Toriyama wrote:Next up in Dragon Ball Super, adult Trunks will be putting in his first appearance in a long time! I put together this story based on a suggestion from the editorial office. Like last time, I write an outline of the entire plot, then the script writers break it up into episodes, expanding on things, changing things around, or adding in new bits as need be.

Despite being so strong, Trunks barely escapes from the future with his life.

The future was supposed to be at peace, so what in the world could have happened!?

And what about this foe too strong even for Trunks to handle, Goku Black!? (Well, you can probably imagine what he’s like just based off the name)

It’s the start of a battle that surpasses time and space, and drags in the God of Destruction, Kaiōshin, even the Omni-King! Many mysteries will be revealed!

There’s some confusing bits with time changing here and there, but just bear with me. It should definitely turn out to be a fun story!

Even I haven’t checked the final script yet.

Let’s enjoy this together (laughs)!!
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie

Post by louisascommie » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:08 pm

He was always more of a gardener then an architect when making the manga
so the outlines that are planned from the start are weaker then if he wrote it as he went along

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:16 pm

louisascommie wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:08 pm He was always more of a gardener then an architect when making the manga
so the outlines that are planned from the start are weaker then if he wrote it as he went along
Why weaker and not different?

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:18 pm

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:34 pm

Inb4 he jobs to these clowns.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:29 am

batistabus wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:18 pm Yardrat designs revealed...

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1174854118768177152

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:59 am

Dragon Ball Online is CANON

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:12 am

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:34 am

LOVE the twist of both Yadrat designs being used. This is classic Dragon Ball bait and switch, love it!

Piccolo getting shine made me happy, though I have no idea why Mr Satan is with Bulma going to see Dende and Mr Popo

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:56 am

I am fucking Marking out, bro!

The ones in the background to the right look like Soba from Dragonball Z: Sagas!

The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:11 am

Noitsnothim wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:12 am
Where was it directly stated in this chapter that he knows of Ultra Instinct? No english translation is available yet.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:53 am

shadd21 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:34 pm
I went over the chapter. Show me where he jobs.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Liquir » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:55 am

Rough translation of the chapter:
Last edited by Liquir on Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:05 am

Holy shit the Yardrat reveal.. 10/10

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:29 am

omaro34 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:53 am
shadd21 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:34 pm
I went over the chapter. Show me where he jobs.
I said this before pages showing Fight was leaked dude, chill.