"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lukmendes
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lukmendes » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:35 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:22 am How long till we get Spirit Saiyans as new transformations. Gotta sell those toys.
It's not happening since one of the Yardratians said "What we call Sprit, Goku called Ki.", so it's just another word for ki, and they have different uses for it.
Lord Beerus wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:53 pm - Very intrigued with the introduction of Spirit Control. Fingers crossed Vegeta uses that mechanic in more than just a "I can hit harder than before capacity". Although some of the gimmicks possible with Spirit Control aren't new, I still have hope that it can lead to broadening Vegeta's fighting style.
Hopefuly Vegeta uses it to come up with his own stuff instead of just copying what the Yardratians showed, 'cause honestly, him growing giant would be weird, and I'm not sure if using clones would be fitting with him...
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:56 pm

In terms of plot progression, at the end of this chapter we're essentially at the same place we were at the end of last chapter:

1. Goku is about to train with Merus
2. Vegeta is about to train with Yardrats
3. Moromen are going to Earth

It's basically no progression. However, I found the details in the chapter and the sequences worthwhile enough. I enjoyed it and look forward to the next.

Soba HYPE.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:17 pm

So how long is vegetable gonna be in planet Yardat?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:28 pm

- Chapter 52 -

LMAO, so that's the "rip-off"??! As I suspected there's nothing in this chapter that's exclusive to Hunter x Hunter nen, like that Ryokutya guy mentioned in his leak. :lol:

Spirit doesn't even seem much different from ki, if those techniques are anything to go by, because other characters can do that. Dragon Ball just isn't the kind of series that goes deep in explaining everything.

Fortunately thanks to the anime I learned to not take leaks seriously, until I see it with my own eyes.

Toyotaro was really smart in using both Yardratians versions (anime and DB Online), instead of choosing one over another. I didn't saw that coming!

Those three were fodder, but it's still cool to see Piccolo getting some action and seems like other Z fighters may do something too.

Existing more than one time chamber across the universe seems fair. I see it as different gates to the same dimension. That would have helped in making Freeza power up in ROF believable, if Toriyama tried harder.

The best thing about this arc keeps being the great job Toyotaro is doing on using and developing DB World.
The lack of Beerus/Whis is refreshing too. I love the duo but for the sake of tension, it was about time for them to sit back.

The worst thing keeps being Merus though. Next chapter he will trash SSB Goku, reveal he's an Angel and the strongest of them all. What a cop!
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:32 pm

I really liked this chapter :D
Moro's crew vs z warriors and vegeta/goku vs moro? So much potential. We could see "magetta/botamo/hit" from U7 against gohan/piccolo ecc. I can't wait!
It's good to see piccolo in action, i hope to see more in the near future against more powerful enemies.

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:36 pm

Well, this was an interesting and particular taste of a chapter.

So we end off with Merus telling Goku he is going to be using his full power and add to the fact he knows about Ultra Instinct. This raises more question about who the hell is Merus, and how does he know about U.I? I didn't think he was special until this chapter.

My theory is he knows about Beerus and Whis, and he is hiding from them for some reason. Which is why he hides his true strength to not give off his location because something has happened between him and Beerus, and Beerus wants him dead.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:06 pm

Important. Just came into my mind.

Merus. What if, he is one of those Top 5 strongest guys in the multiverse said by Whis that rank below the Grand Priest and not just some fallen angel stupid thing?

Sounds more plausible imo. Having these other 4 below the Grand Priest being individuals not affiliated with the Gods.
P O W E R

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:09 pm

Dragon Ball Online's Yadorat! Thank you, Toyotaro! :clap: But don't stop there, there are more stuff from that sequel to be used. :D
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:11 pm

If that's the case, Toyo will need to explain why he must conceal his full power. Otherwise him not just stomping Moro to the ground will be some nice BS

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:17 pm

Thani wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:11 pm If that's the case, Toyo will need to explain why he must conceal his full power. Otherwise him not just stomping Moro to the ground will be some nice BS
Although he could sya something about "ah these other 4 individuals are the strongest non-Zeno affiliated ones in the cosmos" which practically could be from MUI level or slightly below and up to Grand Priest level. That's easily explained.

Frankly, it will create a smaller plot hole than other things. Lol
P O W E R

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:54 pm

Block88 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:17 pm So how long is vegetable gonna be in planet Yardat?
Who knows. Two days have already passed since Vegeta landed on Yardrat.

So spirit is just another name for Ki. And the spirit control concepts in use are the same as ki. Piccolo grows big, Tien can split using ki control and manipulation.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:14 pm

This is shaping up to fit some of the fan requests that have been getting posted -- you know, things like the other Z-fighters handling henchmen while Goku and Vegeta are off-world doing something else. Kudos to those who brought it up. As a Piccolo fan, I certainly appreciate the involvement of everyone's favourite Namekian where it can be gotten. I'm hoping that since this battle is inherently linked to the demise of most of his race, yet again, that he can act in a more embedded capacity. Gohan is still probably going to be the big gun of the reserve team with the humans probably acting in their ROF roles as a cannon fodder disposal squad. It's not a whole lot but the acknowledge and effort is appreciated.

Yeah, I'm one of the fans who agrees that the more interesting areas of the chapter came with the elaboration of Goku and Vegeta's training. Both of them are tackling disciplines that escape the conventions of their tried-and-occasionally-true transformational arsenal. Having said that, Spirit Control or whatever has technical mechanics that sound awfully similar to what other fighters are already capable of. I mean clones or mirages? The Afterimage ability already covers that unless you're talking tangible clones then it's more like Tenshinhan's ability... His species exclusive ability. You've then got the size manipulation which... Already has a precedential counterpart in Piccolo's Namekian only powers. About the only unique power shown was the Instant Transmission. I can't be the only one bothered by the possibility of Vegeta being given what amounts to unique techniques of other species, can I?

At least we get to learn more about Merus. Some fans seem critical of his having an understanding of Ultra Instinct but I think the concept of the autonomous movement isn't something that should be unfamiliar to every single person in the universe. It's still a very rare ability/state of mind, one that even the most expert of martial artists like Roshi can only mimic in a watered down rendering of. Who knows where Merus's proficiency stands. I'd be curious to know how his understanding of it stacks up with Beerus's.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:55 pm

this was a good chapter ... having piccolo fighting again even for a while is quite gratifying

the manga comedy is very good I think I had already said it.

they kept both designs ... it was not necessary tori's design, it was for a game ... that almost nobody currently knows and I doubt that the author even remembers it but I guess toyotaro will have wanted to make reference ...

Merus is a little Gary Stu currently

also ... how does all these techniques help if they use ki anyway? ...
In any case, goku should uses hakai against moro instead of making everyone waste their time ..

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:09 pm

The bait and switch on the Yardrat designs was pretty amusing.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:11 pm

I can't wait to see Moro and gang vs Piccolo. Moro killed Namekians so Piccolo needs to kick arse here.

Will Gohan, Krillin and Tien actually turn up is my question

I doubt any unique tricks will be learned on Yardrat that will help and Merus still seems weird.

Draconic wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:05 pm I'm a simple man... I see Piccolo I check the chapter out...
No one can resist the coolest fighter.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:10 pm

Merus is Grand Priest in disguise, you saw it here first(or not, who knows).
Hoping Vegeta gets to learn a cool new technique.

Yasai9001
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yasai9001 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:43 pm

Goku:
I already know you're a good guy and you wanna beat Moro as bad as me, yeah? That's good enough for me.
The way Merus reacted makes me think one of two things.

1. Either Merus is actually one of Moro's most trusted helpers, which can be a great explanation as to why he broke out of the Galactic Patrol. And maybe perhaps Merus being an enemy will ultimately be a shock to Goku, but he'll cast aside the anger and feeling of betrayal in order to truly utilize Ultra Instinct to the fullest so that he and Vegeta can come out victorious. in this instance, Vegeta would use his abilities to beat Moro while Goku would use Ultra Instinct to handle Merus. Maybe here, Merus will decide to turn around at the very end in an effort to help Goku and Vegeta. (Also, if this was the case, Merus training with Goku is an intelligent move on his part; since he'd be studying Son Goku and how he is as a fighter so once the big brawl does go down, he'll know his every move.

What can possibly negate that first point is the fact that Merus is trying very hard in order to keep a low profile. Maybe he is a fallen angel or an angel of one of the other universes that has skipped over to a low mortal level Universe in order to help in whichever way he can that'll also aid him in going unnoticed. Or maybe he is still a fallen angel or past angel from a destroyed universe that decided he wants to get his revenge (for whatever reason). And maybe Moro can help him with that.

As for the second thing his reaction makes me think:

2. Merus hasn't confided in anyone as much as he had with Son Goku. The fact that this guy is so laidback about the fact and doesn't consider it a big deal knowing that someone else knows such a thing could be a contributing factor to Goku and Merus bonding much more. This can cause him to open up far more and maybe it'll cause him to slip, bringing unwanted attention to himself.

What do you guys think?

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:47 pm

What about Gohan and the Z Fighters on Earth when Moro arrives in person? Moro doesn't seem to drain any further energy from Goku or Vegeta once they've fallen to their base forms, unless I'm remembering incorrectly, so could Gohan with his "Ultimate" "base" form potentially put up the best fight against the villain we've seen thus far?
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:50 pm

Holy shit this chapter was actually very good!

Some solid character interactions and progression to not only the plot of the arc, but the plot of Dragon Ball!
Finally this no longer feels like filler to me, and I’m actually very intrigued to see what’s happening next.
I am not so sure I like Goku already possibly mastering Ultra Instinct, especially in this arc, but it seems like Merus is actually really an Angel or someone very important (I’m so glad) and I’m super curious to know why he has to hide his power level. This mystery of Merus could very well turn out to expand the lore a lot and bring in new elements and worldbuilding details. It was also interesting to see how there’s a different kind of room of time in that planet. It feels very convenient, but I think it works and isn’t too unbelievable. Although I don’t get why Toyotaro decided to make it a 1 day to 3 days ratio. I get how making it the same as the Earth one would have been problematic, but I think a 1 day to 1 week ratio could have worked too.
It seems like there’s actually a way to learn Ultra Instinct, which is the opposite of Super Saiyan (so this may finally put to rest the possibility of Goku mixing Super Saiyan with it). I don’t know how to feel about this, though. Why wouldn’t Whis or Beerus know about this little “trick”?

I also have to say the “Spirit Control” thing is incredibly interesting, and I hope it will be good. Vegeta finally learning some new stuff is nice, but does he have enough time to learn anything at all? And what kind of trick can he learn from the Yardrats? I think he will master spirit control so that he can come up with some new tricks on his own.
At this point I think he may also end up learning instant transmission. I could see him learning it and using it without the two fingers on the forehead like Goku does. That would fit Vegeta better.

The Yardrats being two types, the anime-ones and the DBO-ones was a cool touch by Toyotaro.
Also I am happy to see Piccolo finally doing stuff, with possibly even Krillin, Tenshinan and the half-Saiyans joining in the action.

I never thought that a chapter from this arc would hype me up so much, considering how much I was disliking this arc.
I’m happy to be hyped for what’s coming up next month.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:01 pm

It is a little unfortunate that the examples they came up with for Vegeta using "Spirit" were techniques that have already been used by characters that were introduced before him. Growing large, multiplying. Next it's gonna be turning people into carrots and using your tongue as a murder weapon. Hopefully we see some more creative stuff for the big off.

The more we learn about Merus, the more I dislike him. Right now, the hidden Angel theory is looking more and more likely, and Toyotaro is the type of writer who would rely on that as the answer to everything. But to me it wouldn't solve the problem of him just being bland. Whis is an angel and probably the most "flawless" character Toriyama has ever written, and he still has a personality with quirks and interests. Merus just seems like he exists to serve a function.