Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:07 pm

I just have a question that wouldn't make for much of a discussion.

Does anyone know the timeline for the Ocean/Westwood post-Namrk run of DBZ and the Blue Water dubs of DB and GT? When did they air and when did they finish airing?

Thanks in advance!

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:35 am

It never ceases to amaze me that Toriyama brought back the Red Ribbon Army as a framing device for the Cell arc, but did basically nothing with pre-established RRA arc characters. Karin appears and No. 8's drawn in passing, I believe, but there's not much else beyond that. Red isn't even mentioned. It's neat that the anime chose to bring Tao Pai Pai back, though.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:33 pm

OhHiRenan wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:35 am It never ceases to amaze me that Toriyama brought back the Red Ribbon Army as a framing device for the Cell arc, but did basically nothing with pre-established RRA arc characters. Karin appears and No. 8's drawn in passing, I believe, but there's not much else beyond that. Red isn't even mentioned. It's neat that the anime chose to bring Tao Pai Pai back, though.
It's been a while since I've seen it, but didn't Red get shot? How many of the Red Ribbon characters were left living?

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:43 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:33 pm
OhHiRenan wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:35 am It never ceases to amaze me that Toriyama brought back the Red Ribbon Army as a framing device for the Cell arc, but did basically nothing with pre-established RRA arc characters. Karin appears and No. 8's drawn in passing, I believe, but there's not much else beyond that. Red isn't even mentioned. It's neat that the anime chose to bring Tao Pai Pai back, though.
It's been a while since I've seen it, but didn't Red get shot? How many of the Red Ribbon characters were left living?
Pretty much every Red Ribbon affiliated character is dead by the end of the arc so there wouldn't have been a place for many character re-appearances, but it still would have been nice to acknowledge events that actually did happen in the arc.

Though I don't mind Gero's role at all.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:40 pm

Ha-chan was still hanging out in Jingle Village. Could've been interesting if Gohan met #8 and they bonded over pacifism or something. That could then have naturally progressed into Gohan's power-up against Cell.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:00 pm

TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:40 pm Ha-chan was still hanging out in Jingle Village. Could've been interesting if Gohan met #8 and they bonded over pacifism or something. That could then have naturally progressed into Gohan's power-up against Cell.
Or put the lore about #16 being based on Dr. Gero's son to use by having Gohan confront him in Bulma's lab and then they bond over their shared interest in pacifism, after #16's true origins are revealed like in TFS.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:30 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:30 am
Hulk10 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:58 pmIn the manga Gine said it wasn't like a Saiyan man to care about his children, or was that worry about them?
She said it wasn't like him to worry about his son. In the film it's worded slightly different but the overall point is the same.
Yeah I agree.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:42 am

dbgtFO wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:00 pm
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:40 pm Ha-chan was still hanging out in Jingle Village. Could've been interesting if Gohan met #8 and they bonded over pacifism or something. That could then have naturally progressed into Gohan's power-up against Cell.
Or put the lore about #16 being based on Dr. Gero's son to use by having Gohan confront him in Bulma's lab and then they bond over their shared interest in pacifism, after #16's true origins are revealed like in TFS.
Don’t think Toriyama even thought about #16 being based on Gero’s son until long after he wrote the Cyborg saga.

I mean, for one, why would Gero build an Android modeled after his deceased son and then lock him in storage indefinitely?

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:06 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:42 amDon’t think Toriyama even thought about #16 being based on Gero’s son until long after he wrote the Cyborg saga.

I mean, for one, why would Gero build an Android modeled after his deceased son and then lock him in storage indefinitely?
Yeah, Toriyama was always making stuff up as he went. But I think Gero said that #16 was unfinished. Maybe his programming wasn't quite complete, or maybe after seeing how #17 and #18 nearly killed him, he decided to make absolutely certain his most powerful android would actually follow orders.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:10 pm

I had thus in mind for a while now and wanted to get some opinions.

Whta kind/type of voice would you like Moro to have? What would type you give him? Any examples?
P O W E R

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:29 pm

I wish I had kept my DBZ Arrival VHS clamshell.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:22 pm

Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:10 pm I had thus in mind for a while now and wanted to get some opinions.

Whta kind/type of voice would you like Moro to have? What would type you give him? Any examples?
Dark and somewhat gravelly, with a smug tone that says "I'm better than you," like Jeremy Irons' Scar.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:09 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:22 pm
Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:10 pm I had thus in mind for a while now and wanted to get some opinions.

Dark and somewhat gravelly, with a smug tone that says "I'm better than you," like Jeremy Irons' Scar.
Pretty much what I had in mind too. Eh, excuse my bad vocab and grammar in the previous post. It was rather late when I uploaded it and I was power scaling too. XD
P O W E R

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:14 am

This is a topic that came up while we were talking in the Super Strength thread yesterday. What happens to a Supreme Kai when they die? They go to the Other World, I assume, but when they are there do they go to Hell or Heaven? Does King Yemma even have the authority to judge a Supreme Kai like Zamasu, Gowasu, or Shin?

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:52 am

Allright i have a couple of dumb questions:

-After rewatching some scenes of the Goku Black arc, i wonder, wouldn't Trunks be basically done and fed up with all gods and god stuff?

I mean, Zamasu (a god) was the one who terrorized his world, then Zeno came in and deleted his timeline and then right after returning and finally being safe he discovers that both Beerus and Whis could have actually helped them all along but just decided not to (you know they had a sealing device that was better than the Mafuba). On top of that he had to ( at least in the anime version) accompany Goku to his (now erased) timeline to take the "God of everything" to the main one so that he could befriend a past version of himself, with no care put on the whole travelling throught time thing, while during the entire arc the deities were judging him for doing the very same thing (withthe difference being that on his case it was for a good cause).

I'm no writer but to anyone who actually knows about writing and all this stuff, do you think it would have been better for Trunks to (instead of going to a replica of his timeline) just go step into the grand t............ i mean go travel to space to a distant planet to just live quietly far away from all the bs that goes on with the gods Earth and all that crap?

Had Freeza started plotting the whole rebelling against the gods thing, do you think Trunks would have been up to something like that (not because he likes Freeza or anything but you know, because all that crap that went on his timeline)

-How does the whole aging thing for Saiyans goes, do they just become geezers the moment they hit 80?, like let's say at 11:59 pm they are still at their prime and then at 12:00 they get old.

-So we know that when Goku was dead (but kept his body) he could still do stuff like eating , sleeping feeling pain and etc, now here's the question. If Goku while being dead slept with Chi Chi (being alive) would that make Goten undead? Hell could two dead people (keeping their bodies) have dead kids? I know it's dumb but i just can't stop thinking about it.

- So apparently "god ki" is about ki control, wouldn't that make Piccolo (and also Tien in a way) be the most adept to attaining it since for the most part his training consists of meditation and control of himeself? how come Piccolo doesn't get Ultra instinct?

-Why doesn't Gohan join the Pride Troopers as GT Saiyaman

Edit:

-I find it kinda funny how dragon ball has earned it's reputation of "lol no consequences everyone can be brought back to life" while (if you think about it) technically everyone is dead, the main timeline in which everything happened originally is set on a dystopian future in which everyone failed, all we are seeing now is just a fixed timeline in which our herous can be well, alive and kicking but in like two different timelines everyone's dead (in one of them erased) and will never come back.
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:14 am This is a topic that came up while we were talking in the Super Strength thread yesterday. What happens to a Supreme Kai when they die? They go to the Other World, I assume, but when they are there do they go to Hell or Heaven? Does King Yemma even have the authority to judge a Supreme Kai like Zamasu, Gowasu, or Shin?
I think that they just stay in their world but holding the "dead" status just like when Supreme Kai died.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:23 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:14 am This is a topic that came up while we were talking in the Super Strength thread yesterday. What happens to a Supreme Kai when they die? They go to the Other World, I assume, but when they are there do they go to Hell or Heaven? Does King Yemma even have the authority to judge a Supreme Kai like Zamasu, Gowasu, or Shin?
Good question. Something I've wondered for a long time is what happened to all those Kais Buu killed? Death is a minor inconvenience, an embarrassment, to King Kai, but it doesn't affect him in any meaningful way. Of course some of the Kais were absorbed by Buu, not all of them were. And we learn that the current Supreme Kai is a youngster comparatively speaking, so why weren't there any dead Kais of the previous generations to mentor him or at least tell him who Zeno is?

As for Yemma, he only judges the souls of people who die on earth. Someone on this thread was denying that earlier, saying that Frieza was just mistaken about how Hell worked. But when Goku requested to have Frieza resurrected, King Yemma told Goku that if he has to kill Frieza again, to kill him on some other planet so that he would be someone else's problem. That alone raises many other questions, but King Yemma definitely does not judge dead Kai.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:00 pm

dbs fanboy wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:52 am Allright i have a couple of dumb questions:

-After rewatching some scenes of the Goku Black arc, i wonder, wouldn't Trunks be basically done and fed up with all gods and god stuff?
Doesn't seem that way based on what we've seen. In fact, he seems grateful to Whis for the opportunity to live in an alternate future timeline.
dbs fanboy wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:52 amHad Freeza started plotting the whole rebelling against the gods thing, do you think Trunks would have been up to something like that (not because he likes Freeza or anything but you know, because all that crap that went on his timeline)
Trunks is too noble to even give working with Frieza any thought. He's merciless when it comes to fighting evil. I do hope, however, that Frieza's plan to overthrow the gods does not just become an abandoned plotline.
dbs fanboy wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:52 am-How does the whole aging thing for Saiyans goes, do they just become geezers the moment they hit 80?, like let's say at 11:59 pm they are still at their prime and then at 12:00 they get old.
I'd like to say no, because that doesn't logically make any sense, but this is Dragon Ball we're talking about. There are only two ways for any character to age in Dragon Ball: (1) A time jump. (2) The Hyperbolic Time Chamber. Without either, I'm afraid Trunks and Goten are doomed to live their teen years with dwarfism.

dbs fanboy wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:52 am-So we know that when Goku was dead (but kept his body) he could still do stuff like eating , sleeping feeling pain and etc, now here's the question. If Goku while being dead slept with Chi Chi (being alive) would that make Goten undead? Hell could two dead people (keeping their bodies) have dead kids? I know it's dumb but i just can't stop thinking about it.
For your initial question, here's how I think about it. While, yes, Goku was allowed to keep his body in the afterlife, he wasn't able to just instant transmission to the world of the living whenever he wanted to. He had to be given temporary life energy to return to Earth for the tournament, and burning through his day's worth of energy meant having to return to the afterlife. Logically speaking, then, Goku was alive in most senses of the word as long as he still had his life energy, and any babies produced during this time would be perfectly normal. Also, I assume that two dead people in the afterlife cannot reproduce.
dbs fanboy wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:52 am- So apparently "god ki" is about ki control, wouldn't that make Piccolo (and also Tien in a way) be the most adept to attaining it since for the most part his training consists of meditation and control of himeself? how come Piccolo doesn't get Ultra instinct?
Saiyans attain god ki through the Super Saiyan God transformation. The Super Saiyan level of that was attained by learning to control that ki. Non-Saiyans cannot just get god ki, unless they also have some unrevealed transformation we've yet to see. Ultra Instinct is something else entirely, however. That transformation is attained by learning to allow the body to move autonomously, without thinking. I don't think Goku even uses god ki in that form. But since the form isn't a Saiyan transformation, anyone could conceivably go Ultra Instinct, however unlikely that is.
dbs fanboy wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:52 am-Why doesn't Gohan join the Pride Troopers as GT Saiyaman
Well, being separated by entire universes would put quite a wedge in such a plan. However, I do consider not having Gohan become Great Saiyaman to build a connection of respect and admiration between him and the Pride Troopers a big missed opportunity. Imagine the two sides competing with poses.

Top: "Such sharp and perfectly executed poses! Your passion for justice truly shines through! If your universe didn't have to be eliminated, I'd have asked you to join the Pride Troopers."

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:30 am

Does anyone else think that Ulta Instinct Omen and Mastered Ultra Instinct are simply mutations of the Saiyans upon themearning the ability/technique?

I don't have it in mind as to everyone being able to unlock the forms. Because that's what they are forms. I believe that UIO and MUI are exclusive to the Saiyans, when their "instincts" hit max and the ability flows through them.

Basically they react to this and as such, prepare their bodies for it. A Saiyan could potentially learn how to use the ability in Base, but imo never with total mastery or completion (namely, "absorbing" the forms in Base, like the absorbtuon concept of SSJG in the face of a Saiyan Beyond God).

So it is natural for a Saiyan to get these 2 looks and also a boost in strength, speed, reflexes, agility overall power and energy, when tapping into the incomplete and the complete variants of the ability.
P O W E R

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:54 am

dbs fanboy wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:52 am-How does the whole aging thing for Saiyans goes, do they just become geezers the moment they hit 80?, like let's say at 11:59 pm they are still at their prime and then at 12:00 they get old.
I mean, yes and no. It's not like they just get hit with a "badald dabold you are now old" randomly one day. That wouldn't make any sense. What I think happens is that they "crash" once they hit a certain age, so they start rapidly aging, maybe like a year per day or so, until they catch up with how aged humans are at that age. So it's not instant, but it's incredibly quick.
That's what I believe, anyway. (The growth from kid to adult would be similar, though probably not quite as fast.)
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:48 am

Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:30 am Does anyone else think that Ulta Instinct Omen and Mastered Ultra Instinct are simply mutations of the Saiyans upon themearning the ability/technique?

I don't have it in mind as to everyone being able to unlock the forms. Because that's what they are forms. I believe that UIO and MUI are exclusive to the Saiyans, when their "instincts" hit max and the ability flows through them.

Basically they react to this and as such, prepare their bodies for it. A Saiyan could potentially learn how to use the ability in Base, but imo never with total mastery or completion (namely, "absorbing" the forms in Base, like the absorbtuon concept of SSJG in the face of a Saiyan Beyond God).

So it is natural for a Saiyan to get these 2 looks and also a boost in strength, speed, reflexes, agility overall power and energy, when tapping into the incomplete and the complete variants of the ability.
The description of Autonomous Ultra Instinct given by Whis is that it's a form that the gods struggle to achieve. I think that confirms that it isn't a Saiyan exclusive transformation. I personally find that refreshing after how much the Super Saiyan family tree has grown. Who knows what the future of Ultra Instinct could hold? A new villain could even master the technique. Hell, it's not even impossible for Krillin, Tien, or Piccolo to learn how to use it (just unlikely, since that'd take attention away from Goku and Vegeta).