Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rory
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Rory » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:35 am

mecha3000 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:04 amSo, is this the most ideal for someone who can't acquire the DBoxes?
This won't be the last set. Hold out for the better set, that will come, eventually. It may not be perfect but it'll be better than this. I've been around long enough now to see the words "this is the best we're gonna get" over and over, and a new set always takes its place.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:56 am

Rory wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:35 am This won't be the last set. Hold out for the better set, that will come, eventually. It may not be perfect but it'll be better than this. I've been around long enough now to see the words "this is the best we're gonna get" over and over, and a new set always takes its place.
Honestly I was kinda expecting the opposite of this in a way, that we've seen the last of DB physical releases that are disappointing and then there'll be another one to add to the skip list. IMO there's only really two candidates:
  1. Dragon Boxes, for that authentic experience
  2. Kai, for the time-saving essentials
The other major releases, the Orange and Blu Bricks, are only there if you're desperate.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:22 pm

Rory wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:35 am
mecha3000 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:04 amSo, is this the most ideal for someone who can't acquire the DBoxes?
This won't be the last set. Hold out for the better set, that will come, eventually. It may not be perfect but it'll be better than this. I've been around long enough now to see the words "this is the best we're gonna get" over and over, and a new set always takes its place.
Thanks, but I'm tired of waiting. Ever since the DBoxes went put of print, I always hoped an eventual proper 4:3 Blu-ray release would come through. With Funi's cropped and DNR'd 4:3 Blu-rays, it's evident we may never get that. Why would they release a 4:3 again unless making it cheaper? It'd make no sense from a business point, like releasing 16:9 and 4:3 butchered Season Set Blu-ray style releases back to back.

It's utterly ridiculous fans who have the Dragon Boxes still get to salivate over their hard to find DBoxes and hail those as the best DBZ release over the rest of us unlucky ones - IN 2019!!! So yeah, I'm going to just get as many singles as I can. Life's too short, man. Tired of hoping and waiting. I just want to watch DBZ the right way.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:50 pm

I laud the users of this board for sticking to your guns after a decade, and not giving in the temptation of filesharing. At least publicly. But its existence is precisely why physical media is long in decline, and no one will ever put as much effort into a home release of Dragon Ball Z as Toei did back in the early ‘00s. I for one do have the American Dragon Boxes, purchased new from the vendor and significantly marked down, as was the custom for preorders in 2011. But I recognize that these sets are a relic of the previous decade. The number of people who desire to sit down and watch the entire series in box set chunks will continue to decline, whilst the access to unpurchased copies of the official release will continue to proliferate, especially for fans who will be around for life.
The official streaming service is probably the least costly and most consistent way to watch these days. And don’t they use the orange brick footage, and the dub+Kikuchi score (something to make every kind of fan unhappy).

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:37 pm

Scavenger wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:11 am The 30th Anniversary Box Set will be released in the UK. Limited to 750 units and sold exclusively via the FUNimation UK store.

https://www.mangauk.com/dragon-ball-z-o ... ay-box-set
Umm what the hell. Just because Funimation give them to another company to sell doesn't mean it's ok to print more copies. They said a limited number of 6000 were going to be made. Now it's 6750?!

It kills me when people do this

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:50 pm

bigray wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:37 pm Just because Funimation give them to another company to sell doesn't mean it's ok to print more copies.
They're not "printing more copies" of the original set though, they're releasing a localised version in another market. You have to enter a UK shipping address to even order this version.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:38 am

Yeah, just calculated the cost of the Z singles and I'd have to pay a ridiculous amount of money to own it all in my desired collectible formats. So, Season Set Blu-rays it is. Many of the fans on this forum were old enough and lucky to get the DBoxes when they were cheap enough back in 09. I wasn't. That's the reality. I'll just watch for the moments rather than overall quality. I can't call myself a true fan if I can't at least watch for that. Plus, it's still HD right (uncomfortable laugh)? At the end of the day, I'm still supporting my favorite show by buying Funi's product and that's a good thing. Hell, I vomit saying it but even fans who have to resort to the Orange Bricks are still supporting the series.

The people of Kanzenshuu may look down on me for this, but my "who cares" mentality has taken over. I just wanna watch and support my show and buying hand me down singles or DBoxes won't help anyway. Funi will probably never release a DBox/Level release ever again - C'est la vie. At this point, complaining about the Blu-rays is like Simpson's whole "Old Man yells at Cloud" joke. Or I'll just own Kai 1.0 and call it a day. Or just not own Z. Sadly, I was also one of the few who purchased the Level Sets. Again, c'est la vie.
Last edited by mecha3000 on Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:59 am

LostTimeLord wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:50 pm
bigray wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:37 pm Just because Funimation give them to another company to sell doesn't mean it's ok to print more copies.
They're not "printing more copies" of the original set though, they're releasing a localised version in another market. You have to enter a UK shipping address to even order this version.
They are selling an identical product but in a different country. Who cares if it's limited to UK residents only. When something is a limited run, you can't just make another run in another country and say "oh it was 6000 for US only, we didn't say we would make more for other countries"

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:14 am

In lieu of not supporting this 30th release and having no other alternative, I've looked on YouTube to see many casual fans satisfied with their unboxed Season Set Blu-rays. Have to admit, seeing them so happy to own their favorite show kinda put me out of my funk of not being able to own Z in its proper original format. In fact, the only other way I could see another chance of a re-release is through a 4K Blu-ray at this point and from what I've researched through old threads, that's not even worth it.

Season Set Blu-rays and Kai or bust, quite honestly. At least also owning Kai 1.0 will be somewhat a taste of a better remaster of Z. I am interested at least to see unboxings of this 30th release, however. It's still insane how Funimation can do a show like Yu Yu Hakusho right. I guess in that case, YYH's studio gave them decent film masters to work with so I guess that explains that. Just curious though, I doubt I'll get an answer but: Did anyone else miss out on the Dragon Boxes and have decided to accept the Season Set Blu-rays like I am or do you have too much pride to do that?

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:28 am

I would also recommend getting Singles and Ultimate Uncut Edition, they are probably best way to watch DBZ legally besides Dragon Boxes, downside is, they will take lot of place, and Saiyan and Namek Saga wont be complete, since UUE were sadly cancelled. https://www.kanzenshuu.com/home-video/na/dbz-tv/
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:54 am

bigray wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:59 amWho cares if it's limited to UK residents only. When something is a limited run, you can't just make another run in another country and say "oh it was 6000 for US only, we didn't say we would make more for other countries"
It was always "6000 for North America only" because Funi only had the North American rights at the time, and in practice they're different products because neither region can order the other's version. Do you also think that Funi shouldn't have released the Dragon Boxes and Manga shouldn't have released a Broly steelbook? I don't think this looks like a good quality release so I'm not personally interested, but do you realise how entitled it comes across to complain that another country gets to buy the same product as you?

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:16 am

LostTimeLord wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:54 am
bigray wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:59 amWho cares if it's limited to UK residents only. When something is a limited run, you can't just make another run in another country and say "oh it was 6000 for US only, we didn't say we would make more for other countries"
It was always "6000 for North America only" because Funi only had the North American rights at the time, and in practice they're different products because neither region can order the other's version. Do you also think that Funi shouldn't have released the Dragon Boxes and Manga shouldn't have released a Broly steelbook? I don't think this looks like a good quality release so I'm not personally interested, but do you realise how entitled it comes across to complain that another country gets to buy the same product as you?
If Japan said they are only releasing 1000 dragon boxes and then went and printed identical ones for Funi to sell, then yes they shouldn't have released them. Maybe youre misunderstanding that you think they are making a different set? US dragon boxes were way different than Japan's. So it doesn't conflict with each other's sales. These 30th editions are exact same prints, discs, box, figure. Increasing the amount made to 6750

Entitled isn't the right word, and countries have nothing to do with it. it was part of the deal we made when purchasing, I paid for 1 out 6000. "Limitedness" increases the price of an item. Imagine the price of these if they only made 100. You think it makes a difference what country they sell it in once they are all up on eBay with international postage?

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:43 am

The price of these sets is very far removed from being dictated by supply and demand. The second hand market for the item will not be affected by a 12.5% increase in stock (Setting aside that the items are not entirely interchangeable) because online seller will be significantly marking it up, probably more than even the Dragon Boxes are marked up. There’s no real economic method for price gouging rare items. E.g. Dragon Box Z 2 costs $500 because the scalpers picked a nice round number and people decided to pay that much for it.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:44 pm

bigray wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:16 amcountries have nothing to do with it.
Of course it does. Both versions are inaccessible to each other's audience without using an international forwarding service. No one who "missed out" on the original set can buy this one, and no one buying the UK set will be taking stock away from American fans. The contents may be the same (although the disc labels will have to be different unless Funi's putting the BBFC ratings on the American set), but in practice they're different products.
bigray wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:16 am"Limitedness" increases the price of an item. Imagine the price of these if they only made 100. You think it makes a difference what country they sell it in once they are all up on eBay with international postage?
The American set's value is still $350. It's not purposefully being sold to retailers, it's being sold with the intention that people will take the shrink-wrap off and watch the discs.

My issue here is that you seem to be favouring scalpers and bragging rights over anyone from the UK getting the chance to own a version of this without paying through the nose.

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:53 pm

LostTimeLord wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:44 pm
bigray wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:16 amcountries have nothing to do with it.
Of course it does. Both versions are inaccessible to each other's audience without using an international forwarding service. No one who "missed out" on the original set can buy this one, and no one buying the UK set will be taking stock away from American fans. The contents may be the same (although the disc labels will have to be different unless Funi's putting the BBFC ratings on the American set), but in practice they're different products.
bigray wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:16 am"Limitedness" increases the price of an item. Imagine the price of these if they only made 100. You think it makes a difference what country they sell it in once they are all up on eBay with international postage?
The American set's value is still $350. It's not purposefully being sold to retailers, it's being sold with the intention that people will take the shrink-wrap off and watch the discs.

My issue here is that you seem to be favouring scalpers and bragging rights over anyone from the UK getting the chance to own a version of this without paying through the nose.
I'm from Australia and I can buy from both, so stop being naive like they are country exclusives. And they are "giving poor UK a chance to own them"

Scalpers - no. Bragging rights - kinda. It's a LIMITED to 6000 COLLECTORS EDITION! my problem is you're completely brushing that part off. I don't care if they make a million copies of the discs, sell them in different packaging and call it a standard edition, everyone gets a copy and no one wants to buy the collector's edition. But you can't increase the number of already stated amount for the collector's.

For eg; I bought a reservation for a life size kid Goku statue. They said they will only sell to people who pay a deposit and won't produce anymore for people who want to buy at a later date. So you had to pay a deposit now. If they turn around and start selling to more people who didn't pay the deposit (1 year ago) then id be pissed off and get a refund because they lied

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:10 pm

Am i mistaken or was it originally said to be released Oct/Nov 2019?

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:11 pm

LettuceJUMP wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:10 pm Am i mistaken or was it originally said to be released Oct/Nov 2019?
I emailed them recently about my order and they just said it would ship out “sometime in November”.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:47 am

mecha3000 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:38 am Yeah, just calculated the cost of the Z singles and I'd have to pay a ridiculous amount of money to own it all in my desired collectible formats. So, Season Set Blu-rays it is. Many of the fans on this forum were old enough and lucky to get the DBoxes when they were cheap enough back in 09. I wasn't. That's the reality. I'll just watch for the moments rather than overall quality. I can't call myself a true fan if I can't at least watch for that. Plus, it's still HD right (uncomfortable laugh)? At the end of the day, I'm still supporting my favorite show by buying Funi's product and that's a good thing. Hell, I vomit saying it but even fans who have to resort to the Orange Bricks are still supporting the series.

The people of Kanzenshuu may look down on me for this, but my "who cares" mentality has taken over. I just wanna watch and support my show and buying hand me down singles or DBoxes won't help anyway. Funi will probably never release a DBox/Level release ever again - C'est la vie. At this point, complaining about the Blu-rays is like Simpson's whole "Old Man yells at Cloud" joke. Or I'll just own Kai 1.0 and call it a day. Or just not own Z. Sadly, I was also one of the few who purchased the Level Sets. Again, c'est la vie.
There’s nothing wrong with this mentality. When this first came out, I was angry, but as time went on I personally felt it wasn’t as bad as I originally thought. Does it kind of suck? Yes, of course it does. On the other hand, we’re finally back at the proper aspect ratio, I consider that a win, 16:9 has been the default for no reason for far too long. If you don’t have or can’t afford Dragon Boxes, I can’t think of any reason why you would take what’s out now versus this (at least during the ordering period when you could actually get it). It’s all sub-par remastering, but at least this isn’t cropped to widescreen.

It’s unfortunate, but it’s reality. Until the 0.0001% likely day another company gets a crack at Dragon Ball and gives it proper treatment (see Nozomi and RightStuf’s Gundam Blu-ray releases for how to make a quality product), this is it.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:21 pm

bigray wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:59 am
LostTimeLord wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:50 pm
They are selling an identical product but in a different country. Who cares if it's limited to UK residents only. When something is a limited run, you can't just make another run in another country and say "oh it was 6000 for US only, we didn't say we would make more for other countries"
a) It's not an identical product, the Grandista figure is the straight up standard one not the edited one for the U.S.

b) UK is also paying more for the the release.

c) Companies always spout limited & exclusive as some sort of marketing tool, you should never base your decision on buying something just because it is limited or exclusive.

d) This isn't exactly a release to brag about owning so I don't know why you are even bothered by this.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:13 pm

I had some of the Singles on DVD from back when They were first released but I only collected random volumes with episodes I really loved back then so I certainly don’t have them all.

I have been randomly buying some more as I find deals on EBAY. I actually have found good deals on them. But it’s not the whole series since the early part of the series was never released that way. But since I can’t have anything better I enjoy watching the series this way the best.

Sadly I missed out on the Dragon Boxes. It is sad that the crappy Orange Boxes became the standard we have to accept as fans. And any “better release” is extremely limited or expensive. The worse part is this Anniversary Collection is a disappointment too.